Photos of very few toys... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been on a mission to thin my sons' toys to 1920's amounts. Ok, maybe to 1940's amounts. But it is so hard! I want and need inspiration. There are some lovely playroom photos in another thread, but I want photos of rooms that have very few toys. Or even just a list of what toys you have for your kids.

If I can fall for the aesthetic cleanliness of very few toys, I think it will be easier to part with more of them (without worrying too much that I am robbing my children of their childhoods.) Any sources of inspiration, pictorial or otherwise?

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)
 

Aletheia is offline  
#2 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 PM
 
RoundAbout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I wouldn't characterize our situation as "very few toys", but I've been working on my toddler's room for several weeks now and also trying to get rid of most of our crappy plastic toys. Here is the latest decluttering effort. This is the toy shelf in my 2 year-old's room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35781818@N08/3373294452/

We also have a play kitchen in the kitchen, a train table in the sunroom, a basket of megablocks in the living room, and some toys outside (plastic dump truck, shovels, ball). All together these are his only toys (we have plenty of crafts and books too). I am not a big fan of the playroom concept since I think many children find that many visible toys in one place overwhelming. Instead I prefer to have a few kid stations around the house.

I don't think we will get more minimal than this - I like toys too much and need a nice variety to keep DS entertained at home, but my goal is to keep nearly everything contained to these shelves.

I hope others will post their pics.
RoundAbout is offline  
#3 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
 
amj'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: little house on a hill
Posts: 2,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I LOVE the breadbox idea!! Very nice

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
amj'smommy is offline  
#4 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Delicateflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundAbout View Post

We also have a play kitchen in the kitchen, a train table in the sunroom, a basket of megablocks in the living room, and some toys outside (plastic dump truck, shovels, ball). All together these are his only toys (we have plenty of crafts and books too). I am not a big fan of the playroom concept since I think many children find that many visible toys in one place overwhelming. Instead I prefer to have a few kid stations around the house.

I don't think we will get more minimal than this - I like toys too much and need a nice variety to keep DS entertained at home, but my goal is to keep nearly everything contained to these shelves.

I hope others will post their pics.
Phew, I looked at that picture before reading the rest of your post. I was feeling very excessively toy-ed up.

My kids are too young for a playroom, they want to be where I am.
Delicateflower is offline  
#5 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
 
RoundAbout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amj'smommy View Post
I LOVE the breadbox idea!! Very nice
Thanks. I got it at a thrift store for $1 too!
RoundAbout is offline  
#6 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 06:13 PM
 
tree_hugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundAbout View Post
Well I wouldn't characterize our situation as "very few toys", but I've been working on my toddler's room for several weeks now and also trying to get rid of most of our crappy plastic toys. Here is the latest decluttering effort. This is the toy shelf in my 2 year-old's room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35781818@N08/3373294452/

We also have a play kitchen in the kitchen, a train table in the sunroom, a basket of megablocks in the living room, and some toys outside (plastic dump truck, shovels, ball). All together these are his only toys (we have plenty of crafts and books too). I am not a big fan of the playroom concept since I think many children find that many visible toys in one place overwhelming. Instead I prefer to have a few kid stations around the house.

I don't think we will get more minimal than this - I like toys too much and need a nice variety to keep DS entertained at home, but my goal is to keep nearly everything contained to these shelves.

I hope others will post their pics.
Your photos are great! I love your toy kitchen and I am totally jealous you found that mixer for $1!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
tree_hugger is offline  
#7 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 PM
 
Tangled Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dancing on Tangled Hill
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love your photos, RoundAbout! It's always so inspiring to see a pared-down toy collection comprised of beautiful, wooden playthings. I, too, love the mixer! I found the same toaster at a thrift store for about the same price. How funny! Oh, and your breadbox barn is such a good idea, I'm definitely going to steal it if I have another little one underfoot in the future.

Cool thread!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
Tangled Hill is offline  
#8 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
 
SuzyLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ours are pretty similar to RoundAbouts.

We have some built in shelves in the LR that have about 10 wooden toys + 3 baskets.
Basket 1 = wooden blocks
Basket 2 = several balls
Basket 3 = odds and ends (like a few finger puppets and playsilks).

In the dining room are 2 push toys, a school bus toys, and a play table.

In the basement family room (which we rarely use) are a pile of outgrown toys and ugly plastic crap from the IL's that I hold onto for a few months after they give it to us. Basically, whenever I notice he hasn't played with a LR toy for a few weeks, I move it down to the Family room.

Editted to add: The wooden toys out in the LR righ now (for an 18 month old) are:
1. Stacking boxes from Spiel and Holtz
2. Nesting Rainbow from S&H
3. Ring stacking toy (local company)
4. 2 wooden M&D puzzles (we noticed that if we had more than 2 puzzles out he got overwhelmed by them)
5. Shape sorter (Brio)
7. Jack in the Box (metal)
8. Stacking cups (plastic)
9. Plastic toy where you turn a knob or push a button and a little animal or character flips up (plastic).

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
SuzyLee is offline  
#9 of 75 Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 PM
 
ASusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
Basket 1 = wooden blocks
Basket 2 = several balls
Basket 3 = odds and ends (like a few finger puppets and playsilks).

In the dining room are 2 push toys, a school bus toys, and a play table.

In the basement family room (which we rarely use) are a pile of outgrown toys and ugly plastic crap from the IL's that I hold onto for a few months after they give it to us. Basically, whenever I notice he hasn't played with a LR toy for a few weeks, I move it down to the Family room.

Editted to add: The wooden toys out in the LR righ now (for an 18 month old) are:
1. Stacking boxes from Spiel and Holtz
2. Nesting Rainbow from S&H
3. Ring stacking toy (local company)
4. 2 wooden M&D puzzles (we noticed that if we had more than 2 puzzles out he got overwhelmed by them)
5. Shape sorter (Brio)
7. Jack in the Box (metal)
8. Stacking cups (plastic)
9. Plastic toy where you turn a knob or push a button and a little animal or character flips up (plastic).
We have almost the EXACT same toy set-up for our 18-mo-old, down to the S&H toys and plastic flip-up toy. I even rotate out his wood puzzles so he has one at a time. I also have a box in the basement where I rotate out approximately 1/3 of his toys. I find that when I put them back into rotation, he plays with them much more. We introduced a basic-8 train set from Ikea last week, and he has a bilibo that he's just figuring out. I think I'll rotate out a box of blocks that he hasn't opened in a few weeks.

Our toys are divided between:

front office serves as a playroom, with toys contained on 2 shelves of a bookcase. There is also a cardboard appliance box-house.

play table in corner of dining area for 2 puzzles & where he eats snacks

pack-n-play in our bedroom, where he stays when DH takes a shower.

his bedroom - 2 shelves of a VERY narrow bookcase.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

ASusan is offline  
#10 of 75 Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
 
KaraBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alb-uh-kirk-ee
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to see photos of older children with less toys. I think as your children get older and have more input as to what toys they want and own, the pictures will look differently.

I'm struggling with how to simplify my life without hinging on my daughter's rights. Anyone have older kids with less stuff?
KaraBoo is offline  
#11 of 75 Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM
 
minimunklemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: away with the fairies
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
I'd like to see photos of older children with less toys. I think as your children get older and have more input as to what toys they want and own, the pictures will look differently.

I'm struggling with how to simplify my life without hinging on my daughter's rights. Anyone have older kids with less stuff?
I do.My six year old daughter has two boxes of playmobil.(I guess the boxes are about10 x 14) a small bryer stable with a basket of horses.Two american girl dolls,a bunch of stuff animals,a desk with pens etc and a book shelf full of books.She doesn't complain.I fact she stays in her room for hours playing with her playmobil but the last few play dates that we have had come to our house,the visiting kid has come downstairs saying that they are bored and do we have a wii/playstation etc.I tell them no,go use your imagination

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
minimunklemama is offline  
#12 of 75 Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM
 
yogafeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Twin Land
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love how you call it 1920s or 1940s amounts- cute!
I just put a lot of unused toys away in a box and I figure someday we'll pull them out and they'll seem new.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
yogafeet is offline  
#13 of 75 Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Shahbazin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids are toddlers (almost 2 & 3), but this is what we have - most of the actual objects fit in a bookcase, 1 extra bookshelf, 1 plastic pail (blocks) & 1 laundry basket:

Wooden toys - 4 peg puzzles, set of mixed blocks, 2 trucks, 2 push ducks, a pull alligator, 6 wheeled animals, small M&D barn, small M&D dollhouse (w/some furniture incl.), little pounding peg bench w/mallet, child size table & 2 chairs

Fabric toys - play silks, 2 Corelle dolls, 4 small fabric dolls, extra doll clothes, 2 small purses, bunch of small stuffed animals, 2 puppets, felt ball

Books - board & picture books - lots!

Plastic/metal/other - tea set, Schleich animals, music instruments, crayons, paints & brushes, paper, play dough

Ride-on (indoor)- 2 plush spring ponies

Outside - tricycle, 2 push & sit ons, swing set w/slide, tricycle, 3 balls, bubbles, wading pool

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
Shahbazin is offline  
#14 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
 
slsurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a pile of shells
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundAbout View Post
Well I wouldn't characterize our situation as "very few toys", but I've been working on my toddler's room for several weeks now and also trying to get rid of most of our crappy plastic toys. Here is the latest decluttering effort. This is the toy shelf in my 2 year-old's room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35781818@N08/3373294452/

We also have a play kitchen in the kitchen, a train table in the sunroom, a basket of megablocks in the living room, and some toys outside (plastic dump truck, shovels, ball). All together these are his only toys (we have plenty of crafts and books too). I am not a big fan of the playroom concept since I think many children find that many visible toys in one place overwhelming. Instead I prefer to have a few kid stations around the house.

I don't think we will get more minimal than this - I like toys too much and need a nice variety to keep DS entertained at home, but my goal is to keep nearly everything contained to these shelves.

I hope others will post their pics.
I could have written this post verbatim. I have the same philosophy: multiple play areas/stations around the house, enough toys to keep him entertained, but not too many to clutter up the house. I'm sure we have more toys that a "minimalist" though, so I won't post my pictures here. I did post on the previous play places thread, however.
slsurface is offline  
#15 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
 
slsurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a pile of shells
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aletheia, out of curiosity, what are 1920's or 1940's toy levels? I'd like to know!
slsurface is offline  
#16 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Aletheia, out of curiosity, what are 1920's or 1940's toy levels? I'd like to know!
Yeah, I guess I'd like to know, too. I just remember hearing my grandfather talking about how he had three or four toys-- his most prized was a red metal truck, and it sounds like it was his favorite for years. Now, he was living in a very poor town in a rather poor family, and I have to remember that. But he raised my mom in a middle-class setting and she remembers getting 1 toy at Christmas and at birthdays, and having very few at home generally.

So I'm not exactly sure what the numbers would say. I just want there to be fewer toys getting more love and more use.

In the last few months I've slowly begun to be braver about this. I think it takes a certain willingness to realize that toys can be a cop-out-- a distraction in much the same way a TV can be-- if you are relying on them too much to occupy your kids. My kids are still very little- 2.5 and .5, and so I can still do this easily- I want to set a tone in our house that indicates that it isn't what the toy does for the child, but what the child does with the toy that is fun. I also want to spend time teaching and guiding my children to trust their creativity and resourcefulness. How did we end up with so many young kids who are either overstimulated or bored?

Can you tell that it is late and that I am a little inarticulate?

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)
 

Aletheia is offline  
#17 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
 
amj'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: little house on a hill
Posts: 2,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
I'd like to see photos of older children with less toys. I think as your children get older and have more input as to what toys they want and own, the pictures will look differently.

I'm struggling with how to simplify my life without hinging on my daughter's rights. Anyone have older kids with less stuff?
dd (just turned 10 in Feb) has 5 medium sterilite totes that fit under her bed. One is her LPS figures, one is for LPS accessories, one is for her 8 barbies and their clothes/accessories, one is for her books and the other for her "junk" we call it ... her magazines, papers she wants to keep and a few small photo albums. She also has a small laundry basket at the end of her bed for her Webkinz. We keep her LPS houses in her closet (she probably has 4 of them and they're too big for under her bed. On her bed she keeps her 2 American Girls dolls and another baby doll she's attached to. Her room is very small... maybe 8'x10' and has a slanted ceiling on one wall.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
amj'smommy is offline  
#18 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
 
slsurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a pile of shells
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Yeah, I guess I'd like to know, too. I just remember hearing my grandfather talking about how he had three or four toys-- his most prized was a red metal truck, and it sounds like it was his favorite for years. Now, he was living in a very poor town in a rather poor family, and I have to remember that. But he raised my mom in a middle-class setting and she remembers getting 1 toy at Christmas and at birthdays, and having very few at home generally.

So I'm not exactly sure what the numbers would say. I just want there to be fewer toys getting more love and more use.

In the last few months I've slowly begun to be braver about this. I think it takes a certain willingness to realize that toys can be a cop-out-- a distraction in much the same way a TV can be-- if you are relying on them too much to occupy your kids. My kids are still very little- 2.5 and .5, and so I can still do this easily- I want to set a tone in our house that indicates that it isn't what the toy does for the child, but what the child does with the toy that is fun. I also want to spend time teaching and guiding my children to trust their creativity and resourcefulness. How did we end up with so many young kids who are either overstimulated or bored?
I agree. That's why most of DS's toys are open-ended and allow his creativity to come through...Things like blocks, puppets, and crayons/paper. His favorite thing to do is play with homemade playdough with his cars and little construction vehicles. I really enjoy making toys for him. I made his play kitchen out of a yardsale bookshelf. I knit him balls, stuffies, and puppets. I sewed a play tent and a doorway puppet theater too.

I grew up very poor, but my parents did there best to make sure we have a few nice toys. My sister and I shared a few lego sets and we spent many hours building things. The other "toy" that got the most play was paper. I made hundreds of paper dolls and clothes, and I would draw all the time as a kid. My sister and I made our own "newpapers" or passed cards to each other and our parents telling them home much we loved them. I hope to foster that sort of creativity in my DS as well.
slsurface is offline  
#19 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
 
KaraBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alb-uh-kirk-ee
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amj'smommy View Post
dd (just turned 10 in Feb) has 5 medium sterilite totes that fit under her bed. One is her LPS figures, one is for LPS accessories, one is for her 8 barbies and their clothes/accessories, one is for her books and the other for her "junk" we call it ... her magazines, papers she wants to keep and a few small photo albums. She also has a small laundry basket at the end of her bed for her Webkinz. We keep her LPS houses in her closet (she probably has 4 of them and they're too big for under her bed. On her bed she keeps her 2 American Girls dolls and another baby doll she's attached to. Her room is very small... maybe 8'x10' and has a slanted ceiling on one wall.
This gives me hope I just don't want to force her to get rid of things but also know that too much stuff is overwhelming. We're moving over to the idea of her cleaning her own room and tidying her own things with minimal help from us and it's just too much to deal with her own. She's ten also so we've talked about how she has toys she's just not playing with now that she's older and her interests are changing.
KaraBoo is offline  
#20 of 75 Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
 
boatbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Afloat
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we may not be able to offer too many ideas, because we live on a sailboat and our play space is also our living space is also our eating space... you get the idea. But here are a few ideas/ photos of how we do it as well.

http://zachaboard.blogspot.com/2009/...-packages.html

http://zachaboard.blogspot.com/2008/07/play.html

http://zachaboard.blogspot.com/2009/02/waterfall.html

http://toystorage.shutterfly.com/

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
boatbaby is offline  
#21 of 75 Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing.

I know we still have a bunch of toys but I've worked hard to diminish the amount recently.

We have a large toy room and I was sick of it being a mess at all times. A few months ago the kids and I went up there and went through most of the toys. The room has 2 closets in it for storage. One closet we call "the games closet". It has tons of puzzles. I've organized it now so that it has about 4 or 5 jigsaw (kids age -- 30-50 pieces) puzzles and about 2-3 wooden puzzles. It has some bored games, too on the top shelf. I also keep a big pack of mega blocks in there. One of the bins also has some dress up clothes in it. The other closet is the "animals closet" -- it has a hammock hanging from the shelf that has all their stuffed animals. Eventually I will get rid of more but I kept just enough that they would all fit in this hammock. There are bins underneath that keep odds and ends type toys -- toys without a home. Also a bin with Mr. Potato head. Another bin with little people and animals. A big crate holds train tracks.

In the room itself we keep a baby doll stroller, another push toy, a rocking horse, A little people's farm, a small play kitchen with push shopping cart, and a bookshelf full of books. There is also a cd player.

We are free to open the doors of one of the closets (they both have locks on them) and play with the contents and then know where they go when we are done. We are also free to use this room to dance (my oldest loves dancing) so we can put on some music and have a big open space that isn't crowded by toys.
Adamsmama is offline  
#22 of 75 Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 AM
 
at_the_hip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, so inspiring, ladies...

So if you had to list "must have" toys for children aged 1-10, what would they be?

Are there any sites that specifically talk about different waldorf-inspired toys or minimalist toy collections for creative children? This could really help me pare down because the kiddos have so many things they just don't play with much.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

 

 

at_the_hip is offline  
#23 of 75 Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
 
hillymum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been doing a major declutter when it comes to my 3 boys toys. I have removed all but one containes worth of baby toys (saved for visiting babies) and most of the plastic toys none of the boys ever really played with. My children are aged 9 (10 in July) 8 (9 IN August) and 4 (5 in July). We have pared toys down to matchbox cars, a large garage, blocks, legos, playsilks, costumes and dressing up clothes, 2 teddy bears, a few figures like actionman or monsters, canium connecting noodles (no longer sold. Can make castles, boats, space rockets etc), and jigsaw puzzles galore. We also have a cupboard for board games and craft supplies. Oh we also have way too much brio train tracks and trains.


We do have a wii but it is out of commision right now.

I have found my youngest gets on so much better with children who are used to playing imaginative games and my older two are far more adaptale with making up their own games than so many of their friends.
hillymum is offline  
#24 of 75 Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned
 
Just My Opinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How fun, I want to take pictures of my daughter's minimal (compared to mainstream society that is) toys.

I'll be back
Just My Opinion is offline  
#25 of 75 Old 03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
 
MrsJez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post
Wow, so inspiring, ladies...

So if you had to list "must have" toys for children aged 1-10, what would they be?

Are there any sites that specifically talk about different waldorf-inspired toys or minimalist toy collections for creative children? This could really help me pare down because the kiddos have so many things they just don't play with much.
: I'd like to know too!

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1
MrsJez is offline  
#26 of 75 Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
 
IncaMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have more than this, but this is what i'd think of as our essentials:

DS (6yo)
1. set du jour (a long time ago it was thomas, then it was geotrax, and now it's bakugan). generally, he is into one thing at a time and those things last a long time. So we can typically pare down to just 1 or 2 "sets" of things at one time.
2. science-y stuff (magnifying glass, binoculars, compass, flashlight, magnets) - these are all kept together in one storage bin.
3. marble run (we still have this on the shelf though it doesn't get much use...i'm thinking of rotating this out)
4. Nintendo DS (this was a bday gift last week)

DD (3yo)
1. dolls - she has quite a few of these and really does use them a lot. this includes stuffed animals
2. dollhouse (we have one that my uncle hand made for me 30 yrs ago)
3. dollhouse furniture (we have one wooden living room set and one wooden table w/chairs)
4. dollhouse dolls (these are different from her big dolls)
5. play food/dishes - we also have a wooden kitchen right now, but to be honest she never ever ever uses it. i've also made cardbaord kitchens in the past that were never used. so i'd say that at least for my kids, a kitchen is not necessary.
6. Leapster (she loves letterpillar)


both
1. arts and crafts - we have this in one 2-layer storage bin. utensils/accessories on top, papers/books on bottom.
2. trampoline - best purchase we ever made. it's one of those small ones, about 2 feet in diameter. indoor. priceless!!
3. some sort of fort thing - we've done tents in the past but they don't get nearly as much use as the huge box we have right now with doors cut out. they use that a LOT.
4. board games and puzzles
IncaMama is offline  
#27 of 75 Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Delicateflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post
So if you had to list "must have" toys for children aged 1-10, what would they be?
Mine are both under 5, so I can only speak for the younger side.

-Books
-A set of building toys of some kind (wooden blocks, megablocks, duplo, lego)
-Ball/s
-Animals or people (Schleich animals or dollhouse dolls or little people or playmobil)
-Vehicle/s
-Something to ride on (from a baby's ride on toy to a trike to a bike)
-Something to bounce or jump on (mattress or Rody or a bouncer like I had in the 70's)
-Musical instruments
-Puzzles (shape sorter to wooden puzzles to jigsaws)
-Real life housework things (real kitchen tools, play kitchen)
-A building (dollhouse, soldier fort)
-Art supplies
-Costume stuff (playsilks to spangly shoes)
For bigger kids: games and cards
For babies: stacking toy


Of course, we have two jumping on toys, two pushers, wooden blocks AND duplo AND Megablocks, and ten balls.

This is just my opinion, but in my experience, being a Waldorf purist is a bit pointless. Having an expression on the face of the dolls doesn't stop my daughter giving them seventeen different emotions by lunchtime. And she's quite happy to use single duplo blocks as the billy goats gruff when she's playing that or cooking them into a nice pie. She just told me this morning that we should make some pretend food out of cardboard. I said why don't we make it out of felt and she said no, if we use cardboard she can cut it and fold it and paint it and stick it. And our 'playsilks' are all sorts of trashy junk from the cut price halloween fabric bin at JoAnns.
Delicateflower is offline  
#28 of 75 Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're still working on this, so I would love to see more photos!

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)
 

Aletheia is offline  
#29 of 75 Old 04-16-2009, 03:43 AM
 
notwonamesalike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is our play area. I wouldn't say we're down to 1920's or 30's amounts but we try to keep it as simple and uncluttered as we can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3391976...7612255218221/

Me:
notwonamesalike is offline  
#30 of 75 Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 AM
 
nathansmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel that we're fairly minimal on toys in this house I think. We really only have open ended creative type toys that get used for many things.

DS - 6yo - Just yesterday I sorted out his old toys and rearranged them onto the shelves in his wardrobe in separate containers

Magnetix
Science type stuff in an ice cream container - magnifying glass, compass, tape measure, stop watch, rope, marbles etc
Magnetic science kit
Basket of cars
Sports type gear - balls, skipping rope, kite, table tennis bats
Box of dressups and role play stuff (wooden sword, shield etc)
He also has a large basket of chunky wooden blocks and wooden train track - he STILL uses these and has done since he was about 1).

DD - 4yo

An old suitcase full of random small toys, dressups, playsilks
A large basket of dolls clothes and bedding and a couple of dolls
A laundry hamper full of soft toys
A small wooden box of plastic chunky animals
A basket of small bits and pieces - play money, my little pony etc
She has a dressing table with all sorts of figurines, music box, tiny drawer set where she keeps her precious things (stones, hair clips/bands etc)

In the lounge we have dd's dollhouse, a basket of lego, board games and puzzles and a table that the kids use for crafts and drawing.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 
 

nathansmum is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off