delete

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hang in there! Just tackle a little spot at a time in short bursts. One countertop or one area of one countertop. Just the floor.
Call in your "village" if you can. Maybe someone could come and entertain your children while you do some organizing?

Deep breaths, prioritize and take one thing at a time.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 PM

it sounds like you need some help catching up. good help might be a friend/relative who could take the kids out for the day, someone to bring over her kids so they could all play while you guys tackle one specific project, or a late-night friend to sit and catch up all the laundry with you . . . whatever. whatever someone can pitch in! it would be awesome if a close friend or relative wanted to stay with you for a few days and just go at it like a madwoman! (or take the kids out so you can.)

i've had help like this in the past, and while my house is not perfect, it's better. i'm not awesome at keeping up a regular routine. i'm learning. but when my house was at the point where i wished it would just burn down so i could start over (which is what your post made me think of!) i knew it was time to swallow my pride and let someone into my mess with me. it was also really hard for me to have my little one (then one year old) be away for the entire day, like 8 hours with no nursing, but he didn't care, at all, for a day here and there because he was having fun!

good luck. it sounds like you are ready to make some big changes. one other thing, my little ones are also close in age (ds1 is 3.5 yrs and ds2 turns 2 today!). ds1 is a big mischief maker too (like the rootbeer). it gets easier. even a month or two from now could be a completely different world. hang in there!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM

I was feeling that way for a bit, too. About 3 months ago, I started a blog called cleaning up the clutter. I do 15 minutes of decluttering a day, take before and after pictures each day and post it on my blog. It keeps me VERY motivated. Since I've started, I've cleaned my entire kitchen (including inside all the cupboards and drawers), several closets and gotten a start on our very cluttered utility room (a.k.a our dumping ground). I stay motivated knowing that I have readers checking for my updates everyday - lol. And, it's only 15 minutes. I've got 3 boys, the youngest is just a year old, so I'm busy.

I still do all my usual stuff on most days. Dishes, laundry, etc. I still get behind when we are busy with other things, but I feel more hopeful about it all. If I get buried in laundry, I will do two loads a day until I'm caught up. If I get behind on dishes, I'll take a few minutes to do all the cups, then get to the other things later, etc. I really try not to conquer it all in one day. Little bits and pieces here and there and it makes a HUGE difference.

You can do it! Blog about it if it keeps you motivated. I'm actually not a fan of having people come help, unless you know you can keep on top of it afterwards. I don't think it helps develop the habits that are needed to maintain it. The only way to dig out is to do it yourself, cultivating new habits along the way. But, if you are really feeling overwhelmed and a helper is what you need, then go for it. But, try to develop new habits as well, otherwise, you'll just be buried in it again in a few months.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

delete

Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM

That is not awful! That's about the level of messy that my house was before I started. I'm LOL at the Lego shelf. That's a clear sign that you've got big kids and a baby!

I can tell that you have tried really hard to organize and probably would be pretty organized if you had the time. You've got a lot of rubbermaid containers, just like me -lol.

If I was you, I would start with the bookcase in your dining room. Make it the kids bookcase. The upper shelves can be the Lego shelves, so that you can take back the pretty corner cabinent for your stuff. Set the timer for 15 minutes and do as much as you can. Then, the next day finish that project if you didn't on the first day. Just take it one thing at a time.

Things like the living room, the dishes and the laundry are daily maintenance things, so I would start working some routines in around those. We do a quick, family tidy in our living room at the end of the day. It looks like yours every single day, sometimes worse. So, at the end of the day, everyone pitches in for five minutes. Even the baby runs around and has fun. We don't make it spotless, just make it better. With everyone working quickly, you can get it mostly done every day.

Stop and wash ten dishes when you have a minute. Fold and put away twenty pieces of laundry. Do those things several times a day and you'll be staying on top of it before you know it.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 PM

I agree that it is not that bad. It looks like you have the potential to have it nicely organized just lacking the time and the maitence. I would start inthe kitchen just because I find that having the kitchen messy stresses me out the most. Then I would move tword the LR. Getting rid of things will help too like the unused bassinet and other unused things. Or at least putting them somewhere to store if you are not sure you will need it again. When I get overwhelmed I grab a garbage bag and start tossing and do not stop until at least one bag is full. It helps a bit and makes me figure like I got a leg up on it at least a little. You can do it! Just a few minutes at a time!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 AM

This is the situation I was in about 2 weeks ago. For months, things had been going from bad to worse, I was totally overwhelmed by it all, couldn't even figure out where to start, and basically just wanted to throw everything in the trash and cry! I also found that with the house such a mess, I don't bother with the basics -- my cooking became very basic (like boil the pasta, dump the sauce on it, call it a day basic!), I gave up on laundry, etc. It was just too much to clean the counters to make a proper meal that I didn't even bother trying.

Then I eventually couldn't take it anymore, and here's what I did. Every few days, I'd concentrate on one room. As that room was done, I wouldn't let it backslide past a certain point. I vowed to maintain some order in that one room as I worked on the next. Within two weeks, I had done 80 percent of the house. It's nowhere near perfect now -- the kids' room is still an unmitigated disaster and there are hidden disasters waiting in the kitchen and office. BUT, I feel like I can tackle those in an hour or three when I have time. Before it would have seemed impossible to even consider the pile of art projects when there was actual garbage laying on the floor.

Now, if we have company coming over, I can have the house totally presentable in 45 minutes or less, including running the vacuum and doing a quick bathroom clean. That's an enormous improvement over where we were just 2 weeks ago -- shame and squalor! I just have to keep this up and eventually the little bits will fall into place, I'm convinced. It's hardly the image of perfection I desire in my head, but I can live with it for the time being without getting all itchy looking around.

In short, my suggestion (based on what worked for me): Take it one bite at a time. And don't move on to the next bite until you are certain you can maintain the first area within a relatively level of security.

You'll get there sooner than you think. And you will feel SO much better when you do!!! I promise
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 AM

Listen to Maryjane! She's hit the nail on the head! A bit at a time and then maintain it as you go. You can do it! It took me till my youngest was 3 before I felt like I got my groove back with just about every area of my house and life!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 AM

That doesn't look so bad. I'll bet a weekend with no kids would have the whole thing perfect.

It looks like your kids are old enough to help. Does everything have a home? Could you institute tidy up time at the end of each day, and have the older ones help the younger ones put everything back in its home? Your blog says your son is 6, he could be let loose with a mop on the kitchen floor and a squirty bottle with a cloth in the bathroom. Who cares if it's a perfect job, it's probably going to get done more often than if it waited for you to do it perfectly.

I'm working on something like Maryjane did, but I'm also trying to decorate and make rooms homey once I've tidied/organised them, which helps inspire me to keep them nice. Can you hang pictures on the walls or paint? It makes a huge difference to the look of a room.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 AM

I totally agree with Mary Jane; that is what I do for my house. I start with the easiest rooms - dd and ours - make the beds, sort laundry and start the first wash, and put away (if possible, if not it must at least leave the room) anything that does not belong. It helps sometimes to have a basket that I load with things as I walk around the house, putting things away as I get to that room. Other times, I simply deal with each article one at a time. Load the dishwasher, tidy the livingroom and office, sweep, vaccum and dust. Wipe down the bathroom and finish the kitchen.

It works best when I quickly tidy up the house before I go to bed. I set out my breakfast and work stuff for the next morning, and put away any coats and toys. I also like to leave the dishwasher and washing machine loaded for the next day so I can turn them on as soon as I get home.

I am also a firm believer that everything in my house needs to either be useful and used, or beautiful and loved. And everything needs a place. I have worked diligently to rid my house of clutter - it is hard and unrelenting sometimes though, lol. I am constantly amazed at how cluttered a house can become only days after you've cleaned it thoroughly.

Blessings to you,
J
Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Allison-this is said with love..honey, you have to much stuff. and you have to many horizontal surfaces. the table in the living room needs to go. you seriously only need enough homeschooling stuff for one bookcase. use the library to supplement. ask yourself to really think about what you use and how much you dream about using things. we all have the highest of hopes for our homeschooling but reality is a bit different. horizontal surfaces are breeding grounds for clutter. also the lego box needs to be put in a closet and taken out when the little one is asleep. if you are washing plates to eat then get rid of all the extra plates or store them where they arent handy if you have guests. you only need one plate per person thru the day. wash after a meal to use for the next meal and no dishes building up. I find laundry is much easier to make yourself do if you have less clothes. if your kids have three pair of jeans, every third day they will run out and either a-you do laundry or b-they go naked to the grocery store. no matter how many rubbermaid bins or shelves you have if they are full of stuff you never use, the bin itself becomes clutter. see if you can get someone to take the kids for a whole weekend and get rid of about half of what you own. load it up and take it to charity. that is day one. it will take at least 12-15hrs non stop. one touch. pick it up, stays or goes, no second thoughts. day two clean and put things away. have your dh helping. he has to be as tired of it all as you are. when you are that overwhelmed with your home, i doubt you have anything left at the end of the day, iykwim. at the end of day two, open some wine, take a bath in your clean bathroom and sit quietly. feel that peace and tranquility. everytime things head down that path again remember how good this moment feels and do everything possible to recapture it. your kids will appreciate a parent who isn't playing with them while guilt ridden that she should be catching up on everything.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 AM

Oh hon, I can so relate!!

One thing that I noticed right away is that you have too much open storage, which makes a house look even more cluttered. You can see everything and that's overwhelming on the eyes. Try getting some storage cupboards you can close up, or have bins and tubs that are not see through on shelves. I know you want the kids to be able to see where things are, but believe me they'll know fast where everything is and at the end of the day when you put things away it will look so much better. I have a huge toy room and that's what Ive done. When everything is put away in it's container the room looks so clean and clear. The only thing that gets me is too many toys! I need to never have more that my storage can hold and always get rid of old things when I buy something new or it gangs up fast.

Your home is so typical of a house with small children. It gets better, just don't be too hard on yourself and spend a little time every week decluttering.

Good luck!

Joanne
Homeschooling mommy to 3 kids
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 AM

It really is just about doing it. I would never go to bed with a dirty kitchen--just the thought of it makes me freak out! I use to be messier, but one day I just decided I wanted to live in a more zen like house--where everything was cozy yet neat and tidy. It wasn't hard to get there, and the trick to maintaining it is just doing the work of it each day. Housework is my cardio! I get off my duff and clean up--and I speed clean. I can clean my kitchen so fast, and I just get better and better at getting it done quickly and efficiently.

I may feel like sitting down after racing through the house cleaning up--but instead I think--what's next? The laundry! And then I take care of that.

I do a major clean (including scrubbing bathrooms and moping the hardwood) each week on Friday. The rest of the week is all about maintenance all day long. I never would eat lunch with breakfast dishes in the sink! I eat my meal, and within the hour I am cleaning it up. If you start making changes like this, eventually you will find that your house never gets so out of control.

I agree that decluttering is a big necessary step, but you can't let that stop you from doing the basics--like cleaning your kitchen after every meal and doing your laundy.

By the end of the day your house should be tidy. I can walk through my house at 10:00 pm and the kitchen is sparkling clean for the next day, all of the kids stuff is put away, and the blanket on the couch is folded neatly. I run the vaccuum each day on our rug to get the dog hair up, and make sure all of the diningroom chairs are pushed in. The table is cleared and wiped, and all the laundry is put away. All of this gives a feeling of peacefulness in my space. I think you would really like the feeling too. Sure, it would be easier to just let everything slide, but then I would have to live in it--and I don't want that for myself or my family.

You can do it!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:51 AM

Can I say that it is so therapeudic to be able to see someone else's home - REALITY - with young kids and struggling to keep up?? Sometimes I feel like I am the only one.

My MIL is coming to visit in LESS than 2 wks so I have a fire lit under me...but I wanted to say thanks for being so willing to share. I wish I could see more of other moms' homes! Having the kids home all day every day is such a blessing but also a lot more messy! We have a very small space so any mess is right in your face! No real storage - my dd10 has shelves in her room covered by curtains and that is all we have. We really can only keep what we need at this point. If we ever have a garage or basement...or even an extra closet one day, it will be soooo amazing lol

I finally have a handle on my laundry as I keep the kids' loads separate so I don't have to sort and it saves a ton of time. This has evolved over the last 6 months and I have no more mounds of clothes, finally!

I tackled my kitchen today. Tomorrow - dining room. I will choose one area a day until my MIL comes and keep up on the stuff already cleaned.

Blogging - what is the best way to start?

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 AM

I can't say whether you have too much stuff or not. However, I just recently did a ruthless declutter of our house and am able to keep it neat almost all of the time.There is much less stuff to put away. For instance, we have only 2 sets of sheets/bed. All the rest went. 2 towels/person, etc.
I started with the garage and then went room by room with 2 boxes and one bag.
Box 1-keep I made this the smallest box. Instead of putting stuff away, I taped these boxes up, dated them and will revisit them in a few months to decide whether they are essential items or just clutter.
Box 2 Sell biggest
Bag Throw away/recycle
I assisted my 2 boys in doing this in their rooms. DD decided to do it herself.
We had a garage sale last week and made over $500!
Are you at the breaking point where you feel you absolutely must change this now?
That's where I was. I began working out of the house last year and it all just piled up!
If so, you may want to send DH away with the kids to a museum day or something like that and tackle it all at once. It's exhausting but it's done. Then you can establish a schedule of regular decluttering.
If you are not at the breaking point and need regular structure to achieve an orderly house, I suggest http://www.flylady.net
I know she gets a bad rap in some circles for being completely nuts but she was a God-send to me when I had little ones.
After my big declutter, I use her schedules to maintain an orderly house. She also has a FB page set up for small decluttering tasks to give your kids every few days.
Another inspiration for me was the boook Material World. It's a photography book showing families from all over the world in from of their dwellings with ALL their posessions. Sobering when you compare the family in Mali to the one in Texas!
Good luck sister! You can do it.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

delete

Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM

I agree with the pp that said you have too much open shelf type storage space. It looks cluttered because you can see it all, even if it is put away. You really should utilize your closets more, most of them are half empty!! Consider buying a $60-70 closet system from Target, Home Depot or where ever, especially for your closet, since it is so full, but unorganized.

Good luck!

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Who is saying it is "not that bad"? Seriously, I would not allow anyone into my home looking like that. It is bad. I am not trying to be unkind, but please don't allow yourself into the mindset that it is "not that bad" - because then, there will be little motivation to do better.

You have too much stuff. Plain and simple. Too much stuff. No matter what excuses you make, there is too much stuff in that house. You could pull every item out of every one of my closets and drawers and it would not look as cluttered in here as your house looks.

Again, I know it may sound harsh - but honestly, how would anyone grow if everyone just patted everyone else on the back and said, 'awwww honey, it is not that bad.. you're doing GREAT! Don't worry, my house is messy too!'

I mean, my house can get occasionally cluttered, so I am not claiming to be perfect, but at any time of the day (on most days) I could let say, CPS or the police (worst case scenario), into my home without worry.

Besides, I am seeing some serious safety hazards for the baby to pull down on herself with some of those stacks and bins and whatnot.

Please get rid of some stuff and find the motivation to free up your life from clutter. Yes, is it "that bad". Is it the worst anyone has ever seen? No, definitely not, but that doesn't mean that it isn't "bad".

ETA: Congratulations on your progress. I didn't see the update. I commend you for doing better and motivating yourself to live a less cluttered life.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM

I totally understand a house getting out of control. I've been there. I still am, partially.

I'm going to echo a few people's prior suggestions. First, regardless of whether you just did a declutter, you aren't even 1/2 way there. You HAVE to get rid of some of that stuff. It isn't possible to keep a home up with so much junk everywhere. It would take so much time and money to properly organize all of that.

What I do for toys is regularly pack up a box full and put it in the garage. If my kids can't maintain a relatively picked up toy room, that means to me that they have too many toys. When I get to a reasonable amount, we'll 'recycle' them. Put away a box, take out a box from the garage. Its like a party for them when a box comes out of the garage! They play with those toys like they are brand new!

As another poster said, start with ONE room one day. Clean that. EVERYTHING. Under everything. On top of everything. Get rid of anything you can. Craigslist and freecycle are great for this. Sell what you can and give away what doesn't sell. Use the money you make to buy some more storage and organization tools.

The next day, wake up and do what needs to be done to maintain the first room you tackled before you start on the next room.

Good luck! You have a big job ahead of you, but its doable. Don't get overwhelmed or frustrated and give up. Go over new 'rules' with your kids, and follow through with them. (One thing gets put away before another gets dragged out, do a 'quick clean' before snacks and meals and bed, etc)

Small changes lead to big ones. Get motivated!!

Is your husband on board with helping you when he can with all of this?

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM

if doing one whole room at a time feels overwhelming, maybe you can do categories at a time. i generally try to do that because i get overwhelmed with a *room* at a time.

so first i do all clothing. everywhere. i gather every single piece of dirty clothing and put it in the laundry room in baskets. every single piece of clothing that is clean gets put away.

then i do dishes. we generally only have dishes in the dining room, kitchen, and family room. but i will still do a full sweep of the house just in case the kids ran off with a cup or something. clean all dishes, put them all away.

this then typically turns into cleaning the rest of the kitchen (countertops, stovetop, microwave insides, etc).

the next thing i do is get a big storage bin and go through each floor and gather every.single.thing. that doesn't belong where it currently is. i start out on the top floor typically, because it's the easiest one. so no matter what it is and no matter where it goes, if it doesn't belong where it currently is, it goes in the big bin. this is even if i have an inkling that i won't be keeping it. all in the bin. so when i leave whatever room i start in, there will be nothing out of place, nothing that doesn't belong. granted, it's not where it belongs yet but at least it's contained. when the bin is full, i sit down in my comfy family room chair, turn on the TV and start sorting. : trash, sell, donate, put away.

now, i'm sure that there are better ways to do this. but this is what i have had success with given how my brain works and my own limits. maybe it'll work for you, maybe not. LOL

but i agree that you have too much stuff. and that you're not making good use of your storage/shelves.

but i see categories when i look at your pictures. clothes, papers/books, toys. i'd start there.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringTales View Post

As another poster said, start with ONE room one day. Clean that. EVERYTHING. Under everything. On top of everything. Get rid of anything you can. Craigslist and freecycle are great for this. Sell what you can and give away what doesn't sell. Use the money you make to buy some more storage and organization tools.

The next day, wake up and do what needs to be done to maintain the first room you tackled before you start on the next room.

Not to take over the thread, but I'm curious how one does this while still taking care of children, preparing meals, running errands, etc. I've got three kids, including a nursing baby, and there is not any time to take an entire day to devote to cleaning out one full room, much less several days in a row to do the whole house this way.

I used to declutter and do major cleaning this way (before I had 3 kids), but I really never learned how to maintain a clutter free state by doing a big cleaning binge. Things always built up again.

I guess everyone is different when it comes to cleaning and clutter. A big purge over a few days works for some. I need to work a few minutes of clutter control into every day, in addition to the daily chores, in order to get it under control and stay on top of it.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised at all the advice to do a big purge of each room in a short amount of time. If you've ever really had a clutter problem, did this really work long-term? Or did you just have to repeat again in six months or a year? I'm building a long-term solution so that I will never get in that state again.

Feel free to check out my blog, it's in my profile (click on my name and the link in the drop down menu).
Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 PM

yeah, i generally don't have the time to do that either. which is why categories work for me, like i posted above. i can generally scoot away for about 20mins at a time before the kids start to murder each other. so i just do a mad dash and get as much done as i can.

i also have help from my mom a couple times a week, and have weekends where DH pretty much takes over all parenting duties (we set it up this way when i was writing my dissertation and it's sort of stuck, though now i'm just sitting on my arse or decluttering instead LOL).

but i agree that it's nearly impossible (at least for me!) to devote an entire day to this when it's just me and the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Not to take over the thread, but I'm curious how one does this while still taking care of children, preparing meals, running errands, etc. I've got three kids, including a nursing baby, and there is not any time to take an entire day to devote to cleaning out one full room, much less several days in a row to do the whole house this way.

I used to declutter and do major cleaning this way (before I had 3 kids), but I really never learned how to maintain a clutter free state by doing a big cleaning binge. Things always built up again.

I guess everyone is different when it comes to cleaning and clutter. A big purge over a few days works for some. I need to work a few minutes of clutter control into every day, in addition to the daily chores, in order to get it under control and stay on top of it.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised at all the advice to do a big purge of each room in a short amount of time. If you've ever really had a clutter problem, did this really work long-term? Or did you just have to repeat again in six months or a year? I'm building a long-term solution so that I will never get in that state again.

Feel free to check out my blog, it's in my profile (click on my name and the link in the drop down menu).
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post

I have three kids too, 4.5, 3, and 1.5, and I'm due with #4 in July. It isn't easy!!

I've personally found that I have more than enough time to do this if I cut out other unnecessary things....like the internet & tv. There's more than enough time in one day to clean out one room and change diapers, make meals and snacks. It helps if you have a partner that is willing to pitch in on the other things (dishes, a load of laundry or two) in the evenings too.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
yeah, i generally don't have the time to do that either.
Whew! I thought it was just me - lol!

I love the category idea. I usually take one small area and tackle that. But, I'm going to incorporate some categories in there, too. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM

i think kids' temperaments have a lot to do with it too, though. my kids aer up.my.arse all day long. i really can't do anything without them wanting to be right by my side unless i turn on the TV for a bit and distract them that way. but i also don't wanna have the TV on all day so i can declutter, kwim?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringTales View Post
I have three kids too, 4.5, 3, and 1.5, and I'm due with #4 in July. It isn't easy!!

I've personally found that I have more than enough time to do this if I cut out other unnecessary things....like the internet & tv. There's more than enough time in one day to clean out one room and change diapers, make meals and snacks. It helps if you have a partner that is willing to pitch in on the other things (dishes, a load of laundry or two) in the evenings too.
But, is it a long-term solution? Or do you find yourself having to repeat it in a few months?

I know that for me, it wouldn't work. Different strokes for different folks, even when it comes to cleaning - lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
i think kids' temperaments have a lot to do with it too, though. my kids aer up.my.arse all day long.
That's a good point. Mine are right up mine, too - lol!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=BoringTales;13439127]I have three kids too, 4.5, 3, and 1.5, and I'm due with #4 in July. It isn't easy!!

QUOTE]

Are you nesting? Or is this typical for you? Great way to use the nesting energy, if that's what it is!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM

i should add that i'm due in 2 weeks with #3 so some of the energy i've had is nesting too. until last week when my body suddenly came to a screeching halt so now i just look around *thinking* about what i want to declutter. LOL

User Tag List