What are you embarrassed by? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What embarrasses you when you have a visitor?
More than one or two toys out of place 3 20.00%
Toys everywhere 109 100.00%
A few papers or books on surfaces 14 93.33%
Piles of paper or books on surfaces 148 100.00%
More than one dirty coffee cup 49 100.00%
More than one meal of dirty dishes 155 100.00%
More than one day of dirty dishes 159 100.00%
Clean, cluttered benches 44 100.00%
Unwiped benches 92 100.00%
Benches with dried on old food 170 100.00%
Dirty clothes scattered 195 100.00%
Clean clothes (in baskets or wherever) 56 100.00%
Messy bathroom 138 100.00%
Slightly dirty bathroom 154 100.00%
Really dirty bathroom 174 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1 minute clean up depends on how bad things are.

From best to worse case:
0. Check own appearance in mirror.
1. Gather stray items into basket, fluff pillows, clear spot on coat rack. (pre-baby this one actually happened twice)
2. Move all dirty dishes to dishwasher if empty, sink if not.
3. Remove dishes and laundry from living room. Clear off couch.
4. Create path to couch and clear off couch, while doing so practice "sick" voice and try to look pale.
5. Grab keys, coat, diaper bag, and baby, and ask where they want to go to eat. (this one has never happened, but all our friends/family are at least an hour away)
#32 of 56 Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Spray pledge (furniture polish) in the air, put the hoover in the middle of the floor, the plug in the sink, add some washing up liquid and start the tap running. Then boil the kettle and greet them with the apology that you're in the middle of cleaning up from the weekend but it's lovely to see them anyway. Tea?
If possible, try and get the bathroom done quickly, and if not, take a quick toilet break.
Wow!! This is creative, decisive (& it sounds like it would work....)

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#33 of 56 Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Spray pledge (furniture polish) in the air, put the hoover in the middle of the floor, the plug in the sink, add some washing up liquid and start the tap running. Then boil the kettle and greet them with the apology that you're in the middle of cleaning up from the weekend but it's lovely to see them anyway. Tea?
If possible, try and get the bathroom done quickly, and if not, take a quick toilet break.

But what do you do from Wednesday to Saturday?
#34 of 56 Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 PM

I'd say almost all of the above (although it's common for me to have a stack of 3 or so books next to my coffee cup on the family room coffee table) would embarrass me.

What is a 1-minute clean up? I can't pair a load of socks in one minute.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#35 of 56 Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Ah, I miss England! My experience there was many people's houses were messy, we would just shove aside the laundry, sit down and drink a cuppa. Often the guest would think nothing of washing their own mug/making the tea/folding the laundry/whatever. And people are much more likely to show up at your doorstep unannounced.
#36 of 56 Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
But mostly I'd just open the door with a smile, invite them in and offer them a beer!
Ah, can you move into my neighborhood, please?!
#37 of 56 Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
I'm more embarrassed by dirt than mess, so dirty dishes, crumbs on the floor, yucky bathroom, dirty dishes would be my main issues. I'd be kind of mortified if people saw those types of messes.

The "clean" mess (like toys, papers, clean laundry, unmade beds) bothers me much less. I'd probably apologize but not agonize over these.
This exactly. Toys on the floor don't bother me. Trash on the floor would, absolutely. I also don't mind a few dirty dishes in the sink. I do mind when they overflow the sink and start to take up counter space! When someone is coming over last minute I run to clean the bathroom first. Next I make sure the kitchen is fairly clean. I don't even worry about the upstairs as no one goes up there. In a pinch (usually on Sundays when the house it still messy from the weekend), I've been known to toss things up there to deal with later.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#38 of 56 Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I don't even worry about the upstairs as no one goes up there.
When we bought our first home, my grandmother asked me if I had chosen a two-story house so I could hide my mess. I was so offended that it motivated me to keep the upstairs spotless (that was 8 years ago). I never knew if she was going to check when she came over, LOL.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#39 of 56 Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM

That is too funny. Tossing things upstairs only works if it's a short visit- the only shower in the house is attached to our room so if we have overnight guests I need the upstairs clean as well.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#40 of 56 Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "benches" in the poll.

I think I mostly get embarrassed if the floor hasn't been swept after ds's meal/snack (he's a very messy eater). I also get embarrassed if I have lots of dishes in the sink/on the counter.

And if there's a Mt Washmore in my kitchen. (towering laundry hamper). giggle.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#41 of 56 Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by benches but if I'm having someone over then I want basically everything put away. A couple of cups or some papers aren't a problem but lots of toys everywhere or clothes (I usually leave my clean clothes in the living room till I'm ready to fold it) sitting out bother me.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#42 of 56 Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM

On the poll I only voted one i didint know i could vote more so i voted clean laundry. I hate folding laundry. I am fine scrubbing the toilet and Doing the dishes but when it comes to folding laundry i just cant seem to get in a routine. I do good for a couple of days then i start piling it in baskets agian and leave it for about a week. I really dont know why i do it but its more work it the end because i know eventually i will have to fold all that junk. I try to keep it hidden if someone comes over. I will usually stick it in the bedroom. As far as toys everywere i try to do cleanups throughout the day. i pick up toys aleast 3 times a day then he will drag them back out. I like the house clean before bed so i wake up to a clean house so thats usually my goal.I try to do the dishes after every meal also but someitmes it doesnt work that way. I aleast get them done in one day. I try to limit my dishes so if i dont have them clean i have to in order to eat off them No for the clean dishes.....they never really see the cupboards because i usually dont put them away that much... ya it looks a little messy when there all washed. thats just how things go around here.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#43 of 56 Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have perfected the crawl and toss method of one minute clean up! I have a basket for dog toys, a basket for general kids toys, a Lego box and a box for cars in the family room. I crawl around the floor tossing items into the correct basket/ box and pile papers/ books on the coffee table. Makes the family room appear nearer! If the kitchen needs a quick clean I can usually get that done while the kettle boils.
#44 of 56 Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM

If I had one minute, I'd wash dishes and counters and table first since they're my kitchen is essentially an extension of my living room. The toys would stay scattered on the floor unless my daughters responded to my 'time to clean up' which would involve them tossing their toys into the toy bin in the living room and tossing their stuffed animals/blankies/pillows on the couch so the floor is tidy. The bathroom would be last cause it's out of sight, and besides, it never is left to get that dirty.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#45 of 56 Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollineeba View Post
Can I pretend I'm not home??

Yeah, that's what I do! Takes less than a minute to pull the curtains and turn off lights. ;-)
#46 of 56 Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 AM

wow--dirty clothes scattered is more embarrassing than more than a DAY'S worth of dirty dishes?? i guess they are both embarrassing, but the dirty clothes can be shoved out of sight in 5 seconds--the dishes would be near-impossible to hide

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#47 of 56 Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
Yeah, that's what I do! Takes less than a minute to pull the curtains and turn off lights. ;-)
yup Or sorry.. we were just heading out. "Sorry you didn't catch us at a better time. If I had only known you were coming over, I wouldn't have made these plans...."

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#48 of 56 Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
wow--dirty clothes scattered is more embarrassing than more than a DAY'S worth of dirty dishes?? i guess they are both embarrassing, but the dirty clothes can be shoved out of sight in 5 seconds--the dishes would be near-impossible to hide
I know, that's weird, huh? I chalk it up to most people think they can't wash a day's worth of dirty dishes under one minute.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#49 of 56 Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Ah, can you move into my neighborhood, please?!
Hey - I might already live there.... I'm the messy one in the neighborhood. Our yard is just as bad - especially what passes for the back "yard." I use that term loosely!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#50 of 56 Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM

After spending more than 2 months in bed or on the couch, puking literally 24/7 at the beginning of this pregnancy, I have fresh embarassing moments to reflect on. I honestly don't know when/if my DH cleaned the bathrooms during that 10 weeks- there are 3 of them, and it's a lot of work, plus he's not someone who notices a dirty bathroom. I know that people stopped by and saw at least the downstairs br and were probably justifiably grossed out. I was embarassed, but couldn't do anything about it.

Dirty kitchen floor is another one; with 3 kids, an English Mastiff, one small dog, and 2 inside cats, the floors get gross, fast. I don't know if DH cleaned the floors, either. My mom stopped by and did it a couple of times, but mostly it was nasty. Another really embarassing time for me, having people see a dirty kitchen floor.

I have never been so grateful to feel better in my whole life; now my house is far from being where it was before I got pg, but it's not nasty anymore. Having my kids living in a dirty house was worse than the embarassment, though. I feel so badly for children who grow up in filth

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#51 of 56 Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

A bit of dirt is healthy - keeps the immune system up.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#52 of 56 Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM

I'd be embarrassed by almost all of them (except the few toys out, and few papers/books) The biggest embarrassment would be dirty bathroom or multi-meal/day's worth of dishes. With 4 boys (and DH) though, I'm pretty anal about the bathrooms, so they're wiped down and toilet swished every day. Dishes always go into the washer after each meal, so that's not an issue either. One minute warning? I'd sweep the kitchen/family room, or vacuum the living room/dining room.
#53 of 56 Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Several days worth of dirty dishes, dirty floor, dirty laundry strewn about and dirty bathroom would be mine...

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#54 of 56 Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM

If I had one minute warning, I'd panic! I need 5 minutes. 10 if doing it on my own. First, I'd light some incense. And be shouting orders all around ("you! do x! You! do y!" as capable) as I scurried to throw dirty clothes into the washer (but not start it) or into the laundry room and lock that room--after pulling something from the pantry for munchies, empty the dishwasher and put the dirty dishes into it, locking it. I can actually rinse the dishes and do it properly later. Then grab the 409 and towels and wipe down counters. And windex the streaks on mirrors. And sweep the floor. Then every room that is not "public" or necessary to enter will be locked.

You know--we should have family "get the house presentable in less than 5 minutes" drills. That way everyone knows their job. If the baby starts crying, she'll be okay for a couple minutes.
#55 of 56 Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Does everyone else besides me have a dishwasher?

#56 of 56 Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM

With a minute's notice, I would vacuum near the litter box. Sixty seconds is not long!

Thankfully, our home is kept pretty much "guest ready" the majority of the time. We have neighbors and school friends drop by unannounced frequently. I like it!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page