What are you embarrassed by? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What embarrasses you when you have a visitor?
More than one or two toys out of place 3 20.00%
Toys everywhere 109 100.00%
A few papers or books on surfaces 14 93.33%
Piles of paper or books on surfaces 148 100.00%
More than one dirty coffee cup 49 100.00%
More than one meal of dirty dishes 155 100.00%
More than one day of dirty dishes 159 100.00%
Clean, cluttered benches 44 100.00%
Unwiped benches 92 100.00%
Benches with dried on old food 170 100.00%
Dirty clothes scattered 195 100.00%
Clean clothes (in baskets or wherever) 56 100.00%
Messy bathroom 138 100.00%
Slightly dirty bathroom 154 100.00%
Really dirty bathroom 174 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What sort of mess are you embarrassed to have others see? Others include friends, family, emergency services.

In answering the poll, if you are bothered by a single coffee cup, or a single toy select that and the worse options as well.

ETA cool question inspired by Limabean - you have one minute warning, what do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Dirty bathroom. That's the first thing I'll rush to clean if I have an unexpected visitor (as in, "Excuse me, I'll be right back", go to the bathroom as if I need to pee, then do a super fast wipedown of the toilet/sink/counter).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#3 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

My one minute warning task would be dishes in the dishwasher and the rest in a sink of water as if I had been washing them.
#4 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Your poll wasn't up when I posted. I've voted now - since I could choose multiple, I chose both dirty bathroom options, more-than-day-old dishes (that happens alot around here!), and dried-on food on benches (here that's chairs and table).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 01:14 PM

it seems I am embarrassed by most of this and it can take less than a day for my house to end up pretty messy/dirty. So if it's on the messy side my one minute scramble is to hide any clothes, stacks of papers and dirty dishes, clear and wipe the counters, sweep the kitchen floor (no guarantee it makes it into the garbage) and wipe bathroom surfaces. Whew!
#6 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbutts View Post
it seems I am embarrassed by most of this and it can take less than a day for my house to end up pretty messy/dirty. So if it's on the messy side my one minute scramble is to hide any clothes, stacks of papers and dirty dishes, clear and wipe the counters, sweep the kitchen floor (no guarantee it makes it into the garbage) and wipe bathroom surfaces. Whew!

cheater! that's so much more than a minute's worth of work!
#7 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Dirty bathroom. If I had one minute warning, that's what I'd run to clean.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#8 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dirty bathroom and unwashed dishes are the worst. I don't worry about having everything *perfect*, since people understand that's not realistic with two small kids.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
#9 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
ETA cool question inspired by Limabean - you have one minute warning, what do you do?
Can I pretend I'm not home??

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#10 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 02:41 PM

My bathroom and kitchen must be clean for someone to come visit. It's a long drive for anyone to visit us, so I always know if they are coming at least an hour in advance Plenty of time to clean the whole house, if I choose.

I don't care about (clean) kids clutter around the house. Most of my friends have young children also, so I doubt they would judge me based on toys and children's artwork laying around.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#11 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM

If I have a short short time before someone arrives, I clean the downstairs bathroom, make sure the guest has space on the couch to sit and also clear off the kitchen table.
#12 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM

My 1 minute rescue would be the kitchen, b/c I stay on top of the b'rooms so they're never really messy. The kitchen, now...1 minute would just be time to maybe clear/wipe a surface. I would prolly focus on the highchair, which is disgusting 90% of the time. But I do clean it before putting Bubs in it!

Huh, luckily I don't often have visitors.
#13 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM

First off, if someone gave me a one minute warning they were coming over, well, they could get over how dirty my house is
But for sake of the question, i would clean up dirty dishes around the house as best i could and dh would wipe the counters in the kitchen.

If i had ten minutes, i would vacuum and throw toys upstairs and clear off the paper (studying) mess that is all over my living room.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#14 of 56 Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM

I'm more embarrassed by dirt than mess, so dirty dishes, crumbs on the floor, yucky bathroom, dirty dishes would be my main issues. I'd be kind of mortified if people saw those types of messes.

The "clean" mess (like toys, papers, clean laundry, unmade beds) bothers me much less. I'd probably apologize but not agonize over these.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#15 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 AM

:
#16 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 AM

Having lots of dirty dishes. My kitchen is small with almost no counterspace, so if it's covered over in dishes . . . ugh. With a 1 minute warning I would condense them as best I could, put big items in the oven and make sure at least one half of the sink was clear because it looks better that way.

I'm also really bad about wiping down the table, counter, sink, etc. and forgetting the stove, OR the stove is still too hot but I never get back to it later. My kitchen can be clean but the stovetop is still messy, so I would wipe that down if my mom was coming over.
#17 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM
pia

Most mess doesn´t embarrass me, but a filthy bathroom is yuck!
#18 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 AM

Spray pledge (furniture polish) in the air, put the hoover in the middle of the floor, the plug in the sink, add some washing up liquid and start the tap running. Then boil the kettle and greet them with the apology that you're in the middle of cleaning up from the weekend but it's lovely to see them anyway. Tea?
If possible, try and get the bathroom done quickly, and if not, take a quick toilet break.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#19 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 AM

Dirty bathroom, living room looking like a hurricane hit it (ie: more than 10 toys everywhere). The girls' room being messy (doesn't take much. three girls in a small room it looks a lot worse than it is usually)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#20 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 AM

This thread is making me nervous. I know nothing of this one-minute warning but I can only guess it means you have one minute to clean something before people show up at your home wanting to come in! The problem is I picked several off of your list ... I don't like dirty clothes thrown about, dirty bathrooms or kitchens full of dirty dishes or toys scattered everywhere. I guess I would see how dirty the bathroom and kitchen was and pick one of those two to clean.
#21 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM

I don't leave dirty clothes lying around, and beds are made first thing. Most people don't go upstairs to the bedrooms anyway.
So for me, I'd clear up the front room (usually just put books away, fold throws, organize shoes by front door) and put on a tea kettle.

My bathroom being messy drives me nuts, so I clean that up every morning anyway.

I also hate a dirty kitchen, but oh well, if my friends are here, they'll usually hang out in the kitchen while I do a five minute cleanup if I really need to.
#22 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always have dirty dishes in the sink, and hate it (but not enough to keep it clean just in case). Cat hair and stinky guinea pig cage embarrass me. I'd be horrified if a friend sat on my couch with black pants and was covered with hair when she left.
#23 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM

I would do the dishes that have been sitting...quickly wash dishes; bowls and cups and soak pots and pans and then clean the bathroom fast. I keep thinking of Speed...Pop quiz, hot shot, your mother-in-law is coming over and your house is a wreck...you only have one minute to make it presentable..what do you do? WHAT do you do???
#24 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Pretty much everything on that list, except the toys scattered about. No way to control that when there are lots of kids around.

My main areas of concern are the kitchen and bathroom.
#25 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Used to be almost all of the above. Now I have a baby so I pretty much only try to stay on top of dishes and keeping the bathroom from being totally groddy.
#26 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM

I'm beyond all of this. The ant infestation embarrasses me as did the mouse problem. I'm really pretty OK with almost everything else on the list
:

With a minute warning, I try to get the dirty socks and underwear out of living room area. There are more socks and underwear is rare. But mostly I'd just open the door with a smile, invite them in and offer them a beer!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#27 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 PM

I seem to be with the majority. Having more than one meal of dirty dishes, food on 'benches' (in our case the kitchen table and chairs/floor), and having dirty clothes lying around.

Toys and clutter bother me less, but thats because we don't have much of either. The kitchen is my weak spot, and consequently what I'm usually most embarassed about.
#28 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM

i am having hot flashes and panicky twitchings just from taking the quiz! the piles of dirty dishes, a sorta dirty bathroom, and stacks of papers and books? the one minute warning?! ahhhhh! i'd probably just crawl under the dining room table and maybe hyperventilate or something.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#29 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
Having lots of dirty dishes. My kitchen is small with almost no counterspace, so if it's covered over in dishes . . . ugh. With a 1 minute warning I would condense them as best I could, put big items in the oven and make sure at least one half of the sink was clear because it looks better that way.
I thought I was the only one who did this. I did this Christmas Eve, anticipating early guests to see dd with her presents. I filled up a laundry basket (or two Hey....we were busy making cookies and the dishes took over!) and put it upstairs where nobody goes. Presto! A clean kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Spray pledge (furniture polish) in the air, put the hoover in the middle of the floor, the plug in the sink, add some washing up liquid and start the tap running. Then boil the kettle and greet them with the apology that you're in the middle of cleaning up from the weekend but it's lovely to see them anyway. Tea?
If possible, try and get the bathroom done quickly, and if not, take a quick toilet break.
Awesome ideas!

My panick comes from dirt, not clutter. (Ok, clutter makes me panick, but not for the sake of guests seeing it) Most of my guests will stay in living room and possbily use the bathroom. So, I would quickly tidy living room and wipe down the bathroom. Intimate guests go into the kitchen. If they're intimate guests, I know they're not going to care about the condition of my house....so I don't care.

The other most important thing I do is quickly spray an air freshener and light candles. I'm pretty sure my house smells good...but it's my house and I'm accustomed to the smell. You know...your "home" smell. So, I don't know what it smells like to a non resident. I have a stinky dog who farts a lot too
#30 of 56 Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Picking up clutter and clearning off the couches would be first. Then getting the counters cleared. My house doesn't get too dirty, and the dishes are always in the dishwasher, but the clutter that comes from three kids is bad!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page