Time for Spring Cleaning! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 100 Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here is my main list. i have about 10 days. i dont think i can get the garage done but everything else could be a go.

front hall is done!
ds bedroom is done!
my bedroom is done! (including closet and except old school work)

kitchen herbal area and recycling
finish front yard
sewing/art closet room
clean porch
front room books
upstairs sitting room
downstairs office room
herbal, soap making, cosmetics area tidying
garage which would take weeks. srsly.

does anyone have a suggestion for organising adult school work? like from my classes? old papers i still need, work for certifications for massage, doula, and aromatherapy? and current school work?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#62 of 100 Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to go Mamas!!!

Last night after logging off from MDC I did a ruthless purge in my walk-in closet and dresser drawers. I got 1.5 large garbage bags worth of too-small-clothes together to donate to charity. I put a couple of pairs of shoes in there that I've hardly worn, but they're too tight now--since having kids my feet have spread -- who knew? Someone will get good use from them.

I also had dd1 give me 1 or 2 toys that she doesn't really like. Of course she gives me her sister's stuff. Little sneak. I moved one of the toy shelves up to her room so I don't have to keep seeing all the junk on the floor. Drives me nuts. I'm also insisting more now that she clean up after herself more. That's helping some.

More to come.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#63 of 100 Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
does anyone have a suggestion for organising adult school work? like from my classes? old papers i still need, work for certifications for massage, doula, and aromatherapy? and current school work?
Good progress, ian'smommaya. As for organizing school work, etc. have you considered some hanging folders? Or a filing cabinet and folders?

I have seen hanging folders that come in a rectangular plastic box/case. So you can purchase like 4 of those and use one for your doula stuff, another one just for old school stuff, another one for current school stuff... etc... like that. Just some thoughts.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#64 of 100 Old 04-19-2009, 02:37 AM

thanks for the idea and incouragement. i really need the list i need to be accountable for what gets done.

ds room was ten hours of work. ten hours. 10 hours. it is just incredible now. beautiful.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#65 of 100 Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 AM

This is a great thread, I'm subbing! I started spring cleaning yesterday - kitchen and herbs/spices really needed doing, so that is where I started. It looks all fresh and summery now :! Today, I am hoping to find time to reorganize my fabric stash and other sewing supplies. Does anyone have any idea on how I can make those horrid plastic storage baskets look nice?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#66 of 100 Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM

I've had a major cleanout and declutter and have filled the boxroom with stuff for a car boot sale next Sunday (for charity). There are two large plastic tubs, a bag of pillows, three bags of clothes, a box of books and some other odds and ends. I still have a bit to go through and am sure I'll find more stuff to sell, but it feels so good to have made progress!

I also cut the grass, and DH hoovered, dusted and scrubbed the kitchen. We had 15 people over for a potluck yesterday and the house was sparkling! It hasn't looked this good since before DD was born five months ago, what a relief!

As for making plastic bins look nice - what about covering them with nice cloth/paper?
#67 of 100 Old 04-20-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

I spent Friday cleaning ALL day, the house looked awesome!!! Our house is for sale, and the realtor called Thursday saying they would like to show it on Friday afternoon at 4:30pm. So I cleaned like the dickens Friday. We leave when we're supposed to, get home later that evening, and find out NO ONE SHOWED UP! There was a message on the phone at 4:15, saying they need to cancel, as the prospective buyers were not able to make it.

I was TICKED.

#68 of 100 Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Way to go Mamas!!!

Last night after logging off from MDC I did a ruthless purge in my walk-in closet and dresser drawers. I got 1.5 large garbage bags worth of too-small-clothes together to donate to charity. I put a couple of pairs of shoes in there that I've hardly worn, but they're too tight now--since having kids my feet have spread -- who knew? Someone will get good use from them.

I also had dd1 give me 1 or 2 toys that she doesn't really like. Of course she gives me her sister's stuff. Little sneak. I moved one of the toy shelves up to her room so I don't have to keep seeing all the junk on the floor. Drives me nuts. I'm also insisting more now that she clean up after herself more. That's helping some.

More to come.
: YAY! Bet that feels awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
thanks for the idea and incouragement. i really need the list i need to be accountable for what gets done.

ds room was ten hours of work. ten hours. 10 hours. it is just incredible now. beautiful.
Whoa. Congratulations : !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
This is a great thread, I'm subbing! I started spring cleaning yesterday - kitchen and herbs/spices really needed doing, so that is where I started. It looks all fresh and summery now :! Today, I am hoping to find time to reorganize my fabric stash and other sewing supplies. Does anyone have any idea on how I can make those horrid plastic storage baskets look nice?
My spices/herbs are a mess as well. DD (2) dumped garlic powder out all over inside the cabinet. Ugh. Not sure how to clean that up yet.

Glad it's all pretty again : !

If the baskets have an open pattern, try weaving some ribbon through the openings. You could color-code them for different fabric types even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancat View Post
I've had a major cleanout and declutter and have filled the boxroom with stuff for a car boot sale next Sunday (for charity). There are two large plastic tubs, a bag of pillows, three bags of clothes, a box of books and some other odds and ends. I still have a bit to go through and am sure I'll find more stuff to sell, but it feels so good to have made progress!

I also cut the grass, and DH hoovered, dusted and scrubbed the kitchen. We had 15 people over for a potluck yesterday and the house was sparkling! It hasn't looked this good since before DD was born five months ago, what a relief!

As for making plastic bins look nice - what about covering them with nice cloth/paper?
Wow, that's quite the accomplishment!! Congratulations : !

#69 of 100 Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM

I still didn't manage to sort out my fabrics, but I did clean out the laundry room and it looks so much better! I also cleaned out the crib, which was basically being used to store laundry

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#70 of 100 Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama~to~my~bunch View Post
I spent Friday cleaning ALL day, the house looked awesome!!! Our house is for sale, and the realtor called Thursday saying they would like to show it on Friday afternoon at 4:30pm. So I cleaned like the dickens Friday. We leave when we're supposed to, get home later that evening, and find out NO ONE SHOWED UP! There was a message on the phone at 4:15, saying they need to cancel, as the prospective buyers were not able to make it.

I was TICKED.
How very annoying! I hope you will be able to keep it clean for when the next viewer comes.

#71 of 100 Old 04-20-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
How very annoying! I hope you will be able to keep it clean for when the next viewer comes.
I hope so!

#72 of 100 Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM

worked for hours yesterday on the back yard while ds plaed with a friend of mine. they had so much fun. and i got alot done.

#73 of 100 Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 AM

I'll be tackling the bathroom today.

#74 of 100 Old 04-21-2009, 03:53 AM

Took 3 bags and 2 boxes o' stuff (from the garage) to the thrift store today!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#75 of 100 Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Took 3 bags and 2 boxes o' stuff (from the garage) to the thrift store today!

#76 of 100 Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM

I need to join in as I've fallen off my cleaning/decluttering wagon lately and that's so not me
Tonight once the kids are in bed and DH is going out to watch some sports, I'll start on the kitchen and dining room. Will keep checking in for everyone's ideas and to keep myself motivated

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#77 of 100 Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 PM

i did one cupboard in the kitchen yesterday, the one with all the plastics i never use, the mason jars, the other lunch items. and its all nice and tidy...

#78 of 100 Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama~to~my~bunch View Post
Wow, that's quite the accomplishment!! Congratulations : !
Thanks, feels soooooo much better to have gotten that done. Car boot sale is next weekend so the boxes of stuff will be gone soon!

Going to build a flower bed when I can get some wood - that'll make the garden look better.
#79 of 100 Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 AM

Yay! I finally got round to the fabrics, and I also sorted all kids clothes. I put the ones that will fit my son later on in some baskets, same with the ones for DD, and all the things that are too small for everyone, or pink and too girly in another place. I really do not want to get rid of the clothes that are too small... but they are sure taking up some space!

#80 of 100 Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM

I'd like to join! I'm 12 weeks preggo and finally getting some energy back, and m/s is on it's way out. Time to clean!

Yesterday I freecycled 3 bags of clothing - nice, clean office-type stuff that I will never be wearing again. Also 4 bags went to goodwill. Such a great feeling!

The #1 project this spring - cleaning out the spare room - which will be the baby's room. It's currently a catch-all!

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#81 of 100 Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM

I'm in. How is is possible to have accumulated so much JUNK in the year or so since my last major dejunking???!!!

Anyone else struggle with finding the balance between having a clutter-free home, but needing to keep things for frugality's sake?

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#82 of 100 Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 PM

I'm done with my spring cleaning...or so I thought until I noticed all these little spots which tend to collect clutter. I need to now:

-go through recipes I've printed out and toss ones I won't ever use
-reorganize my fabric stash and find new place for yarn stash
-go through games closet and cull some games we haven't played in a while
#83 of 100 Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
I'd like to join! I'm 12 weeks preggo and finally getting some energy back, and m/s is on it's way out. Time to clean!

Yesterday I freecycled 3 bags of clothing - nice, clean office-type stuff that I will never be wearing again. Also 4 bags went to goodwill. Such a great feeling!

The #1 project this spring - cleaning out the spare room - which will be the baby's room. It's currently a catch-all!
Yeah, those spare rooms are definitely the hardest! It is knowing where to start that is tricky!

I've got a bunch of clothing I'll never use again too. It was my work wardrobe when I lived in Asia, most of it was bought there. I have kept it so far, like for just in case... but I don't LIKE most of it. And I keep telling myself I will use it for quilting or something... It's just sitting there. Do you think I should just toss it?

#84 of 100 Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM

cleaned up all 3 computer desks. threw out a ton of random papers and old coupons. rearranged the computers and printers so they take up less space. one computer desk is now completely empty and i'm wondering whether i should keep it (if dh wants it) or get rid of it.
#85 of 100 Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSurplus View Post
Anyone else struggle with finding the balance between having a clutter-free home, but needing to keep things for frugality's sake?
definatly!!!!i always feela little guilty keeping a bunch of stuff we are not using when i am sure there is someone out there that could be using it. but, i also hate to get rid of if and then have to rebuy later. i tend to go with how much space i have. like, one box for dd's baby clothes, etc. in the end i usually keep only my favorites and pass on the rest. i figure either i actually WON"T need it or if i do, i will enjoy the hunt for it again. (we buy almost exclusively used, so the hunt is all the fun!)

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#86 of 100 Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

Ugh. I need to spring clean AGAIN this year already. I would have been 15 weeks preggers this week but just miscarried. Now my entire closet is inappropriate. Pregnancy clothing that I was starting to need it stupid on me. regular clothes don't fit properly. I am wanting to lose 20 lbs, but have the clothing I have makes me sick now.
I just want to get rid of 90% of what I own, clothing wise, and start fresh with stuff that makes me feel pretty.

That and I need to clean the fridge, pantry and meds cabinet, since ms kicked my ass this preg and I haven't kept up with it for months. It's weird to go along pregnant and then BAM just be done over night. Sorry, don't want to be depressing. I want a clean house!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#87 of 100 Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm nesting...at least I HOPE this is nesting, because if my desire to clean the bejeezus (and organize) everything gets *stronger* then I probably wont be able to function, lol.

I finished my school work early and have the house to myself today. I'm totally getting into the declutter/organizing mode.

I mostly focused on our room today. I re-organized my file folder, cleaned the desk area, balanced the checkbooks, cleaned junk drawers, put away/ironed laundry...among other things.

Then i tackled my entertainment center. My xdh decided to leave the wii here for DD to play with (no complaints from my dh, haha) so we had wires everywhere...ugh. Also, my DH has TONS and TONS of freaking cds...all spread everywhere. I took them out of the cases and put them in the cd folder thing. I'm going to try to talk him into getting rid of the hard cases and just keeping the booklets, because he has a HUGE box filled with these in the closet and it's making me crazy.

Now i'm onto DD's room...organizing her clothes, putting warmer weather clothes in her drawers. I have a good 2 bags for goodwill so far (grocery sized). I'm sure I could sell some of this stuff, but honestly, I just want it gone. Now.
#88 of 100 Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Ok, well, my spring cleaning is also some very serious nesting. Nesting, for me, generally includes a lot of crafting....Which is a messy process. So the spring cleaning will be touch and go, but at least I will be accomplishing things!

Anyways, my to-do list:
CD's out of plastic cases and buy an album-thing for them(they currently take up a whole moving box!)
Finish laundry basket of mostly-finished projects
Purge clothes in prep for postpartum
Get Ikea shelves (billy and benno) to finish up the library/craft room
Keep up with daily tasks, so they are routine when baby comes (HA!)

I'm sure there's more, but tackling small lists is probably safer than just making the list and not doing any of it. Luck to everybody!
#89 of 100 Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM

I started Spring Cleaning back in February! I've had a small pile of stuff to get rid of since then and have just added a bunch more to it. Yesterday I started with a closet and am dreading that one and the other one I have to do! For a single person I can't believe how much junk I have! I keep it though thinking someday I may need it. Not anymore though!!! Stuff I haven't used in years will all go asap!!!
#90 of 100 Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 PM

now that the weather is finally consistently nice, i'm planning on starting my spring cleaning tomorrow. we're actually having a new refrigerator delivered today so that part will get done by default.

i plan to finish the kitchen and dining room tomorrow........going through cabinets, scrubbing down baseboards/trim and scrubbing the floors. the i'll go on to the living room and do the same. if i have time i'll get the bathroom done too....if not it will wait until tuesday.

here's hoping i can keep up the motivation!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page