Time for Spring Cleaning! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even though we're getting a foot of snow this week .

Anyway, I have the urge to purge - and will be acting on it! I'm going to start with the worst part - the coat closet : . I can't remember the last time the floor saw daylight. Then I'm going to do the kids' toys & books, then their clothes.

Freecycle will become my new best friend : .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM

I just started yesterday. I tackled the girls room (after I finished the March challenge room) and it is so clean, it sparkles. I have to get some stuff from Ikea as we threw out a ton of furniture that was broken.

I downloaded a great book from simplemmom.net about spring cleaning. It was very inspiring and I am following it as I clean (I have two weeks before my mom comes to visit so I am inspired... she is a clean freak).
#3 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks for the website recommendation! That's AWESOME!

Good luck! Hope you get your cleaning done too!

#4 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
joining you all. i want it all gone if only then i dont have to deal with the STUFF anymore.

but since i dont live in a van traveling i dont think that will happen. instead i am getting rid of as much as possible.

lookout freestore here i come!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#5 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm with you all. I've been hitting up my kitchen, laundry room, linen closet and my bedroom hard. I have one small pile left in my bedroom--DH even cleaned his closet--the first time in nearly 5 years! I've had an endless stream of STUFF out for Freecycle for the past 2 weeks.
Next week my girls are going to their grandparents' house for a few days and I will be hitting up their room and the nursery then. I don't want them to see what I'm purging!
I will get this house under control soon!
#6 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2CarolineLydia View Post
I'm with you all. I've been hitting up my kitchen, laundry room, linen closet and my bedroom hard. I have one small pile left in my bedroom--DH even cleaned his closet--the first time in nearly 5 years! I've had an endless stream of STUFF out for Freecycle for the past 2 weeks.
Next week my girls are going to their grandparents' house for a few days and I will be hitting up their room and the nursery then. I don't want them to see what I'm purging!
I will get this house under control soon!
: You have a great attitude towards it, good for you! I'm getting there LOL. Tomorrow morning I'm tackling the coat closet, ugh. Had some unexpected guests stop by today.

My goal for the year is to get completely organized, and stay that way! I can do it!

#7 of 100 Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The spring cleaning bug bit me a few weeks ago! So far I've cleared out the playroom closet, purged TONS of toys, rearranged the playroom, threw out an old couch, cleared off the stairs landing (it was really really REALLY bad), organized the entertainment center, sorted the boys' clothes, cleared and organized the linen closet, pulled out the stove and fridge and cleaned under there, given away the high chair and infant carseat, and I've been extra diligent about staying on top of the laundry and dishes. My next projects are clearing off the top of the fridge and cabinets (stuff accumulates up there because the kids can't reach it!) and decluttering the hall closet (I'll admit I don't even know what's in there).

Already the house feels so much lighter, and I'm loving it! It's great being able to open the windows again and hear the birds, too. Ah, spring, I've missed you! :

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
#8 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 12:54 AM

subbing.

I can't start spring purging until next week because I'm backed up on sewing projects that MUST be done this week. But I'm raring to go! I want to start with our bedroom closet. Ugh. It's a nightmare in there. And the older cat has been sleeping in there so there's cat hair on the luggage and on the ends of all the long skirts, coats and pants hanging up.
#9 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
The spring cleaning bug bit me a few weeks ago! So far I've cleared out the playroom closet, purged TONS of toys, rearranged the playroom, threw out an old couch, cleared off the stairs landing (it was really really REALLY bad), organized the entertainment center, sorted the boys' clothes, cleared and organized the linen closet, pulled out the stove and fridge and cleaned under there, given away the high chair and infant carseat, and I've been extra diligent about staying on top of the laundry and dishes. My next projects are clearing off the top of the fridge and cabinets (stuff accumulates up there because the kids can't reach it!) and decluttering the hall closet (I'll admit I don't even know what's in there).

Already the house feels so much lighter, and I'm loving it! It's great being able to open the windows again and hear the birds, too. Ah, spring, I've missed you! :
: That's awesome!! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
subbing.

I can't start spring purging until next week because I'm backed up on sewing projects that MUST be done this week. But I'm raring to go! I want to start with our bedroom closet. Ugh. It's a nightmare in there. And the older cat has been sleeping in there so there's cat hair on the luggage and on the ends of all the long skirts, coats and pants hanging up.
I'm starting with the worst spot too, that way the rest won't be so bad. Have fun sewing! That's a hobby of mine too.

#10 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM

Oh yes...the coat closet! How could I forget? That will also happen next week when it's just the baby around...it needs some serious intervention!
#11 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM

We did the kids playroom yesterday. We got rid of an entire bin of toys that are no longer played with.

DH and I started the garage on Sunday, but that will take a while, we need to go to the thrift store and reorganize all of the shelving. We also need to find permanent places for everything.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#12 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM

sp.
#13 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM

i got rid of prolly 300 books today. tow huge booksheleves. empty.

ohhhhh it feels sooooo good.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#14 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM

DH is off work this week, so we've been really busy today.

Upstairs:
-cleaned all the walls
-vacuumed and scrubbed all the floors
-scrubbed the bathroom
-dusted everything
-cleaned the insides of the windows and the screens

All of the closets were pretty clear, but we picked out a few more things for Goodwill and I ran all of the donation bags to the drop-off centre. Also, I dropped some old electronics and batteries off at the EcoCentre. We could stand to do one more sweep of the bathroom cabinets, and we'll be touching up a few paint spots.

DH has been busy in the kitchen:
-scrubbed walls
-cleaned behind fridge and stove
-scrubbed cupboard doors
-cleaned inside cupboards
-dusted tops of cupboards
-touched up paint
-scrubbed floors

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#15 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM

I did some spring cleaning two weekends ago. got rid of alot of stuff but I wtill need to go through the closets.
#16 of 100 Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
subbing. i have a long way to go. i want to super duper uber ruthless

i'm starting with the master closet as well. I have half my hanging clothes that I never wear, going to rearrange dh's things so they are out of the way while he's gone (and he can move them when he gets back easier) and then THROW OUT/DONATE all the other crap in there! It's not as full as it COULD be but it's a big closet and we don't NEED to fill it up!

I am also reorganizing all three bedrooms that's going to be the hardest cause I'm going to need to do it in one day.

Purge kids toys (shouldn't be to bad actually) while redistribute.
Kitchen (i don't even know where to start!)
The living room...that's even worse!

I want it to hopefully be ALL done by July...which should be possible if my mom comes to help.
I'm going to be ruthless as well; I can't be all sentimental about everything, as there's just too much stuff! Hoping I can have the whole house done by the end of summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
i got rid of prolly 300 books today. tow huge booksheleves. empty.

ohhhhh it feels sooooo good.
: Awesome!! Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
DH is off work this week, so we've been really busy today.

Upstairs:
-cleaned all the walls
-vacuumed and scrubbed all the floors
-scrubbed the bathroom
-dusted everything
-cleaned the insides of the windows and the screens

All of the closets were pretty clear, but we picked out a few more things for Goodwill and I ran all of the donation bags to the drop-off centre. Also, I dropped some old electronics and batteries off at the EcoCentre. We could stand to do one more sweep of the bathroom cabinets, and we'll be touching up a few paint spots.

DH has been busy in the kitchen:
-scrubbed walls
-cleaned behind fridge and stove
-scrubbed cupboard doors
-cleaned inside cupboards
-dusted tops of cupboards
-touched up paint
-scrubbed floors
Holy cow, can your DH talk to my DH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3soon View Post
I did some spring cleaning two weekends ago. got rid of alot of stuff but I wtill need to go through the closets.
Congratulations!! Feels so good, doesn't it?

#17 of 100 Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 AM

i'm subbing on this one!

currently we are down in cocoa beach, florida for spring break for the week, but when we get home on friday i'd really like to get started on my spring cleaning.

as i was getting us all packed (we are staying in a condo type place with a full kitchen, etc. so we packed up all our own food, etc.) and getting things from every corner of my home, i realized just how badly the house is in need of a good cleaning. we have some pretty harsh winters up in northern indiana (and this one was a killer) so there's just so much of THAT that needs to be wiped away. and now that we've been spending all our time on the beach staring out at the ocean, i'm ready to lighten and brighten up my home!

my first order of business will be laundry (obviously!) and then i'll be back to participate further....if this thread is still going by then!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#18 of 100 Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I have some closets I have been itching to get my hands on- I think I will start this weekend. I went through our big horrible one last fall and got rid of a ton, and so I want to go through it again and really be ruthless this time. I know we'll be moving sometime in the next year and I don't want to it be like every other time I have moved (where we end up moving boxes full of crap).

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#19 of 100 Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i'm subbing on this one!

currently we are down in cocoa beach, florida for spring break for the week, but when we get home on friday i'd really like to get started on my spring cleaning.

as i was getting us all packed (we are staying in a condo type place with a full kitchen, etc. so we packed up all our own food, etc.) and getting things from every corner of my home, i realized just how badly the house is in need of a good cleaning. we have some pretty harsh winters up in northern indiana (and this one was a killer) so there's just so much of THAT that needs to be wiped away. and now that we've been spending all our time on the beach staring out at the ocean, i'm ready to lighten and brighten up my home!

my first order of business will be laundry (obviously!) and then i'll be back to participate further....if this thread is still going by then!
Don't worry, we'll still be here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I have some closets I have been itching to get my hands on- I think I will start this weekend. I went through our big horrible one last fall and got rid of a ton, and so I want to go through it again and really be ruthless this time. I know we'll be moving sometime in the next year and I don't want to it be like every other time I have moved (where we end up moving boxes full of crap).
We might be moving too within a year or so. I don't want to lug all this junk there too, especially since it will be a smaller house!

#20 of 100 Old 04-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama~to~my~bunch View Post
Don't worry, we'll still be here .

We might be moving too within a year or so. I don't want to lug all this junk there too, especially since it will be a smaller house!
must be moving year. if dh wasn't being deployed i'd be moving this summer but i will end up most likely being here until late late this year or early next. i KNOW it's going to be half the size and i agree!

i didn't do anything yesterday.... unlikely to do anything today as well.
#21 of 100 Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 PM

On Monday I am renting a cargo van [we only have a little civic] and I will be getting rid of trash! we will also load up the recycling on trip #2, and then a load of stuff to goodwill. [insert sound of angel choir here]:

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
#22 of 100 Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
must be moving year. if dh wasn't being deployed i'd be moving this summer but i will end up most likely being here until late late this year or early next. i KNOW it's going to be half the size and i agree!

i didn't do anything yesterday.... unlikely to do anything today as well.
We're moving soon, too! We've been looking since fall but still haven't found anything. I'm reeeeally hoping we're out of this place by the beginning of summer.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
#23 of 100 Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 PM

me too i just gave away 5 large trash bags of girls clothes, 3 large bag of toys on freecycle, an obnoxious polly pocket jumbo jet crap in box toy , another large bag of toddler and elmo paraphernalia, and still cleaning lol
i have been keeping it waiting to either have a garage sale or craigslist it but im done. needs to go now! lol. feels great too. also took out the carpet piece we had in the living room and hallway so glad its spring

one love

#24 of 100 Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM

yay this thread is still going!

okay, we're home from vacation now so i'm ready to get started! this weekend is devoted to my mt. everest of laundry from our trip and grocery shopping/getting ready to get "back to normal" (meaning spring break is almost over!). so starting monday i'm hoping to work on my house room by room to get the "winter blah" cleaned out and get ready for warmer weather ahead!

this is the plan!

#25 of 100 Old 04-06-2009, 03:34 AM

Today I washed the windows inside and out (not the top floor, though) and picked up the entire back yard of debris (tons of sticks and pine cones from the wind). Raked it too, plus bark. Pruned the roses. DH emptied and cleaned the pond. We had such a good time, we grilled steaks and put a blanket down and ate dinner outside.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#26 of 100 Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsaratea View Post
On Monday I am renting a cargo van [we only have a little civic] and I will be getting rid of trash! we will also load up the recycling on trip #2, and then a load of stuff to goodwill. [insert sound of angel choir here]:
LOL! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by um_hanna View Post
me too i just gave away 5 large trash bags of girls clothes, 3 large bag of toys on freecycle, an obnoxious polly pocket jumbo jet crap in box toy , another large bag of toddler and elmo paraphernalia, and still cleaning lol
i have been keeping it waiting to either have a garage sale or craigslist it but im done. needs to go now! lol. feels great too. also took out the carpet piece we had in the living room and hallway so glad its spring
Wow, that's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
yay this thread is still going!

okay, we're home from vacation now so i'm ready to get started! this weekend is devoted to my mt. everest of laundry from our trip and grocery shopping/getting ready to get "back to normal" (meaning spring break is almost over!). so starting monday i'm hoping to work on my house room by room to get the "winter blah" cleaned out and get ready for warmer weather ahead!

this is the plan!
You can do it! I still have a bit of the blahs, it doesn't help that it's still below freezing here. Hoping for a warm-up soon so it feels like spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Today I washed the windows inside and out (not the top floor, though) and picked up the entire back yard of debris (tons of sticks and pine cones from the wind). Raked it too, plus bark. Pruned the roses. DH emptied and cleaned the pond. We had such a good time, we grilled steaks and put a blanket down and ate dinner outside.
That's wonderful! Glad it was fun for you guys !

#27 of 100 Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM

okay, so we woke up to about an inch of snow this morning! UGH! i thought it was spring! makes it hard to "get going" and not just want to hibernate for the day! lol!

i will be starting my spring cleaning today, although i'm not sure how much i'll get done as i have a few errands to run this afternoon and have an appointment to get our honda odyssey in for an oil change......light came on our way home from florida and now it's flashing at me like it means business! lol!

BUT..... i am starting!

#28 of 100 Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

nak

yesterday was a beautiful day! all the windows were open and we washed all the walls and tackled the kitchen as our April room challenge. I also vacuumed and cleaned our living room furniture.
#29 of 100 Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 PM

i have now given away ninty percent of my clothing, shoes, books, etc.
i am going to only own things i love or need. not things just for things sake. or decoration because i think i "need" it.

#30 of 100 Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Did it! Rented the cargo van, took a bunch of nasty stuff [not recyclable] to the dump, a bunch of recyclables to the facility, and got 15 bales of pine straw for the yard [not a declutter thing, but good anyway!]

Hooray! I feel productive!

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page