April room challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is it that the room I choose is always the one I can't do anything with? So, the dresser was 3" too wide for the space in DD's room! 3". UGH, it would have been perfect - it matched her other furniture perfectly.

I am picking up DS's new dresser and desk this afternoon, though

ETA - Got DS's set. He loves it and I love it too!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#32 of 60 Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM

All of my tupperware containers now fit into one cabinet! And the door can shut! : Now I'm going to go get rid of all the kids' plastic dishes; now that the youngest is four we don't need them. I will keep the plastic cups, though, because they get their own water and I don't want glass all over the floor.

ETA: Finished decluttering 2 more cabinets and 3 drawers!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#33 of 60 Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Now I'm going to go get rid of all the kids' plastic dishes
I know many folks are wanting to eliminate plastic from their homes totally and this may be your long term goal but an idea to repurpose plastic bowls and plates... outside if the kids like to make mud pies and pretend food from dirt, pine cones and whatever they can find and also to use as saucers under potted plants, either inside or out.
#34 of 60 Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Don't worry, I didn't mean I was throwing them away, just getting them out of the kitchen. Some will go to the sandbox, some to the bathtub, & the rest to goodwill.

#35 of 60 Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM

I went into the garage and packed up 3 boxes of junk and dropped it off at the Salvation army!! On Monday I cleaned the kids rooms and my room. I can't believe it's already the 15th of April! I'm trying to clean up so I can take pictures for the clean clear post!! I want to post them at least by April 29th!

When I went into the garage I found 2 boxes of things I had been saving from the kids. I forgot about them completely I went through them and kept only a small amount! I mean my children aren't going to become axe murderers just because I didn't keep the pictures they made in Preschool! I also found stencils I thought I had thrown out (I was really happy bc I was looking for these forever!) I decided that I want a work bench in the garage. So thats one of my goals! I'm so happy.
#36 of 60 Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 PM

I'm posting here for accountability, and a little bit to rant about husbands and how mine abuses and disrespects his living space.(If you can believe it, this is AFTER I cleaned up the worst of the mess.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/...a47514.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/...bf2fba.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/...e3c236.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/...679655.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/...c9441b.jpg?v=0

We are FINALLY getting a twin bed in there (delivered tonight!) which will have underbed storage and be a place to sit to watch TV. The hammock swing helps with DH's sensory input, but it's not great for working on his laptop or for family snuggles. We also have all sorts of guests filing in and out these next few months, and they're going to need a place to sleep that isn't a fire code violation.

So,

1) Clear space for bed, while throwing out obvious trash
2) Move/organize ALL craft stuff so it can fit in the closet
3) Get rid of extra electronics
4) Computer desk set up/plugged in and ready for install
5) Sort the rest of it and find new homes for it, whether in the house or at Goodwill.
#37 of 60 Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 AM

I sorted through DD's shoes today (and found 8 pair she'd outgrown to donate). I also cleaned all of the white woodwork in her room (doors, frames, jams, baseboards). I was bored today. Lame.

Gone but not fogotten.
#38 of 60 Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultivatingMyRoots View Post
1) Clear space for bed, while throwing out obvious trash
2) Move/organize ALL craft stuff so it can fit in the closet
3) Get rid of extra electronics
4) Computer desk set up/plugged in and ready for install
5) Sort the rest of it and find new homes for it, whether in the house or at Goodwill.
Numbers 1 and 4 are DONE!!! 5 is half-done, with a little more exploration of three of the boxes needed to designate the rest.

Add number 6, however, which is take EVERYTHING off the entertainment center and run the wires in back.

Whew! I am so glad SOMETHING got done in there, I was seriously going nuts. We have watch TV in that h3!!hole!
#39 of 60 Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cupboards are done, and I sorted through the huge stack of bills on the table. DP sucks when it comes to paying bills - there were things due in February. I'm taking over the bill-paying whether he likes it or not.

Hopefully going to the store for fabric and curtains today!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#40 of 60 Old 04-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultivatingMyRoots View Post
Numbers 1 and 4 are DONE!!! 5 is half-done, with a little more exploration of three of the boxes needed to designate the rest.

Add number 6, however, which is take EVERYTHING off the entertainment center and run the wires in back.

Whew! I am so glad SOMETHING got done in there, I was seriously going nuts. We have watch TV in that h3!!hole!
Great! Are you going to post "after" pics when it's done? Btw, what is it about men and messes? DP is incapable of organization. His dresser is piled high with clothes, papers, CDs, and I really don't know what else. It's also overflowing with old, ripped and stained shirts and pajama pants that he just won't get rid of . . . sigh. I can only do so much.

#41 of 60 Old 04-18-2009, 02:50 PM

I got DD a new bedspread w/ sham and shirt, 3 new tin pics and I hung up her other pictures.

All I need to do is add some trim to her curtains and find her a desk. Then her room is DONE!

:

Gone but not fogotten.
#42 of 60 Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM

1. Strip and paint Ds's dresser and paint Dd's dresser.DONE!
2. finish lining kitchen cabinets with oilcloth liner.
3. re organize living room book shelves.
4. finish painting ceilings in Dd's room and living room/dining
5. decide a layout for pictures and hang them.
6. find guitar hangers to hang dh's guitars in our bedroom.

Well thats one down 5 to go!
#43 of 60 Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 AM

Trimmed out DD's lampshade and will do the curtains tomorrow while she's at school. I also bought her 2 rainbow-y wind chime things that hook over her curtain rod to hold back the curtains (like she didn't have enough color in the room).

Still need that desk. Come ON Craigslist!

Gone but not fogotten.
#44 of 60 Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well I guess this month me choosing to do the kitchen is fitting. I had thought that things were going really good, had my cabinets looking good and was actually looking at how to just pretty up things.... our little guy (age 5) had his allergist appointment and now I need to purge my cabinets of a whole slew of items that he can't eat... it's going to be pretty bare when I am done. I'll keep most of the stuff but I think I am going to move it to another cabinet out in the laundry room and sorta lock it up so we don't go through the meltdown like we have been doing these last few days where he asks if he can have XYZ and I have to say No. I figure if all the stuff is out of sight it will be easier for all of us.
#45 of 60 Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Got new curtains and put them up . . . got fabric for the chairs, but realized DP got brads instead of staples for the staple gun. Sigh. So I have him stop by the hardware store after work the next day, and he comes home with regular staples, like for a desk stapler. Sigh again. Apparently I have to go get them myself.

#46 of 60 Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Just sent off an email to a seller on Craigslist. The desk would fit perfectly in DD's room.

Wish me LUCK!

ETA

Going to go trim out the curtains

Gone but not fogotten.
#47 of 60 Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Making my to do list for the kitchen

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#48 of 60 Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 PM

I got the laundry room almost all cleaned! It was a disaster before. All the dirty clothes have been washed, there are only a few items of clean clothes that need to be put away, and I have to clean up the counter. I'm moving on to the downstairs closet next.

I am very much in a spring cleaning mode right now.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#49 of 60 Old 04-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Trimmed the curtains but still no reply on the desk. Back to Craigslist. DD's room is so close to being done.

Gone but not fogotten.
#50 of 60 Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM

I took yesterday off because it was my birthday. Today its so hot but I cleaned my mb Well I still have to vacuum and mop. Thats my update (so close to being able to post pictures!)
#51 of 60 Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 AM

So Ive been MIA from this thread, but ive been busy! the last few days especially. today i completely de-cluttered and cleaned our 3rd & smallest bedroom which has been pretty much a dumping ground for the last few months. it had been my bedroom, but since all of the kids were ending up in my bed, i decided to move my bed into the largest room, and the 2 oldest now sleep together in my sons bed and just baby and i share my bed. we get a lot more sleep this way.

so anyways, all of my sons stuff, plus everything that has been shoved into the large closet went into that room waiting to be sorted. including too small clothes, cloth diapers we dont use much, my clothing, boxes of books, spare linins, old computers and a ton of other junk. ive been avoiding it, to say the leastbut i have a friend moving in for a few months on the 1st, so it was insentive to get our Sh$t organised. DS and i went through all of his toys and we have just few smallish bins of his toys left. LEGO, playmobil, bionicles & one mishmash of superhero's and other random toys. since he was sooo graceful about getting rid of a TON of crappy toys im very pleased. i hate when he gets upset about letting go, but he is seeing the wosdom of clearing out the old.

Then i continued on with all of my stuff.. i have another huge bag of thrift shop stuff, a bag of recycling and one of garbage. a few things to put into the storage space, my camping pack and sleeping bags, those cloth diapers and too small clothes that i want to keep..but otherwise the room is clean and dusted and ready for living in again.

yesterday i worked on my storage space, getting summer clothes out and putting in winter clothes and snowshoes. then i went through all of our holiday boxes: easter, christmas, halloween and got rid of everything that i dont LOVE. it leaves not much, but what is theere will be cherished. it feels very good. after that i started sorting craft supplies, which im still not done. i have a lot and its a hard thing for me to figure out how exactly to organise. so far im just weeding out what i dont need or want...i got rid of a huge pile of craft magazines that ive been passed, and a bunch of yarn that ill never use, and plastic knitting needles that i dislike... i also went through a bin of papers, photos, random bits of my life from the past 15 years. that was hard. its crazy the memories. i let go of a lot, but kept some of it too. i found a few things i was missing too which was sweet!

so yeah.. i have a bunch left to do, but im feeling more and more happy about the amount of stuff we have.

and we are likely moving come fall..so im trying to be pretty strict with myself, because we still have a lot.

:

in de-cluttering & simple living solidarity,
fern

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#52 of 60 Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Nice job, MamaFern!

If I can't find DD a desk by the deadline, which it looks like I won't, I'll still post pics because her room looks so cute!

Gone but not fogotten.
#53 of 60 Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM

I got a desk and I pick it up today! I'll probably paint it tomorrow morning and put it in her room. I'll need to add knobs too. Hopefully, I'll be able to post pics this weekend!!!

:::

Gone but not fogotten.
#54 of 60 Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM

1. Strip and paint Ds's dresser and paint Dd's dresser. Done!
2. finish lining kitchen cabinets with oilcloth liner.
3. re organize living room book shelves.
4. finish painting ceilings in Dd's room and living room/dining almost done!
5. decide a layout for pictures and hang them.
6. find guitar hangers to hang dh's guitars in our bedroom.

I am so beat from painting, I am almost finished with Dd's room. I want to be completely done before we get out of school, I don't want to have to think about any do&s while on vacation. I'm pulling a definate late night tonight and I know I have to do laundry tomorrow but thats alright I can get it done! I feel like I'm finally entering that place where I feel like my house is complete! There will still be some tweaks here and there (and then there's the garage...) but complete none the less! We'll back to my painting!
#55 of 60 Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Okay, so here it is although I didn't get the desk done (hopefully it'll be ready tomorrow).

Closet - left side

Closet - right side

Dresser

Bed

Wall

'Desk area'

Window (no flash)

Window detail

I'm painting the desk white(ish) to match and putting on cute knobs. All of her books will be put above her desk on 2 white shelves (that are also being painted with the same desk paint).

Gone but not fogotten.
#56 of 60 Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Cute room! Where did you get the curtains? I love them.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#57 of 60 Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Cute room! Where did you get the curtains? I love them.
my guess is IKEA! am i right SAHDS?? i think we almost got my dd those exact same curtains when we were there and i just wasn't sure they would go with her wall color.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#58 of 60 Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM

SAHDs: what a fabulous room! You must have had a lot of fun putting it together. i love the polk-a-dot quilt cover and the print above the bed. where are they from?

we are moving again in November, so i guess to do rooms all over again then. im excited! i love a blank slate.

i have some painting to do as well. an old desk, a book shelf and a dresser. im going to paint them all white to match. any tips?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#59 of 60 Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 AM

What a beautiful room!!!! I totally failed on this room challenge, this month was just too crazy. I wish my own bedroom felt as peaceful and soothing as your daughter's.

#60 of 60 Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Thanks ALL! I actually didn't think it came across very well in the pics.

Curtains are from Ikea - I hot-glued the trim (JoAnn fabrics - also where I bought the 2 suncatcher rainbow things) to the sides because there was no lime green in the curtains and I felt it needed it (I added the same trim to the bottom of the lampshade on the dresser too).

The print (and frame) above the bed is from Ikea. Most of the stuff is. For DD's 9th birthday, we went on a shopping trip to Ikea and bought the bed, dresser, print, frame, wall stickers (although a friend's daughter ripped them down so the only one that was salvaged is the blossom by the print), the lampshade, the flowers at the foot of her bed (you can kind of see one in the window pic), the embroidered throw pillow and the 2 "dot" rugs (I don't think you can see them in any pics - one is orange, one is red).

The quilt was an "I don't even care anymore because I am too tired of looking!" purchase. I found it at Target (the last place I looked). I scoured fabric store after fabric store and stalked Etsy for MONTHS before I found that one. It works well, I suppose. The butterfly pillow came with the set (as did a skirt that I feel is just a little too pale, we'll see) and is green polka dot on the flip side.

Hopefully her desk/nook area will be done this week. She's really excited to see it almost done.

Gone but not fogotten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page