help me get rid of pictures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a lot of old pictures, along with pictures from our kids, that I need to go through and organize. I think I want to scan them in and make photo books (i.e. snapfish, mypublisher, etc.) that I can have on the bookshelves and that are in an easy format for us to actually pull out and look at. So, please help me get rid of them.

Toss out....fuzzy, duplicates, etc. Scan in photos...then what? Do I just toss them? Is having one copy in a nice photobook going to be enough - at least for older pictures from say my childhood and before (all those relatives?)?

Any tips, hints, etc. would be really appreciated. I'm not a scrapbooker. I hate just having pictures in those photo albums with sleeves or sticky backs. I want something that looks really nice, so I think the photobooks are by best option.

Help!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#2 of 2 Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually just finished doing this. What worked for me was going through my albums one year at a time, I only scanned the pics worth keeping. When you think about now how things have gone digital you usually delete the pics that truned out bad or that are not worth keeping. Before digital you paid for the whole roll to be developed so you probably stuck them all on the album whether you really truly wanted them or not. I chose not to keep photo's of other people that meant nothing to me, or the hoards of pics of other people's kids. You will know what photo's you truly would like to keep and not. The reason I did a year at a time was to not overwhelm myself. I could do a year and if I had enough wait and do another year later. All photos that I didn't want or already scanned I shredded. I put each year in a seperate folder in our computer and will scan each year to a separate disc or maybe all folders to one disc (still haven't done this part yet). When it came to pics taken at Walmart or school etc, the ones that came in multiple sizes I only chose one size to scan, I chose the 5x7 but you choose what works best for you. I chose to just scan and shred b/c we are not photo album people. I look at my iphoto pics all the time but my albums just sat on a shelf untouched so it didn't make sense to me to have them, they took up too much valuble space. The photobooks are a nice idea if you will look at them. I wouldn't probably so I will be getting some as gifts for grandparents but not our home. For us having them on the pc or disc works best.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page