Flylady? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 01-18-2004, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like what Flylady has to say till I to# 4 of the Flylady's Eleven Commandments I have a light problem with it.

#4 Don’t allow yourself to be sidetracked by the computer.

But then comes along
#8 Do something for yourself everyday, maybe every morning and night.
Ok that would be computer time for me :LOL

And #9 Work as fast as you can to get the job done. This will give you more time to play later.

Ah, yes, play time = yet more computer time for me :LOL

So I am happy, I do Flylady and have my computer time

Our teeny tiny house is a wreck, so I really do need to get to 'flying'
#62 of 86 Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 AM

My goals are:
*to keep sink clean. Also keep kitchen counter clean.
*organize desk files...bills, reciepts, the like.
*keep up with homeschooling planning. We took much of Dec. off and now must get back on track!

*loftier goal: declutter basement...box by box. I began this with holiday boxes, will continue with toys.

You ladies and flylady would be proud of my efforts so far. This weekend I cleaned out the main linen closet, ended up with only two things to put elsewhere or discard. Also cleaned out the medicine cabinet...bye bye lots of expired things

I also put several books in the donation box...that is hard for me to do, but was easier this time. Ellie put some toys in there too.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#63 of 86 Old 01-19-2004, 04:24 PM

fellow flutterer here!! We have actually gotten control of many things that have been out of control WAY too long in our tiny 2bdrm apt. This weekend we took 2 carloads of clutter to the goodwill I'd like to join you here if you dont mind
#64 of 86 Old 01-20-2004, 04:19 PM

I discovered FLYLADY while MDC was down for upgrades last week. Clutter is probably the thing that causes the most strife in our marriage. My dh is the ultimate clutter freak - if he doesn't know what something is, he thinks it's junk. I can only honestly disagree with him about 50% of the time. When I was single, I used to do fall and spring cleaning every year - going through every single item in my house. Now that I'm married, I haven't done it once. Until I signed up for the FLYLADY....

I spent an hour on one room last week - I took two boxes to Good Will and was able to put my sewing stuff away so you can actually walk in our spare bedroom now and I can access my sewing stuff easily. I'm telling you, it's a major high - much better than shopping or eating a piece of cake or drinking a cup of coffee when you don't drink caffeine on a regular basis.

As for the constant emails, no, I don't do all of them either. Actually, I would say at this point I only manage to do about 20% of what the FLYLADY recommends, from shoes (hate them) to having a morning/evening routine. But I figure I learn by osmosis, and having all those reminders (even if I don't do all of them) helps me to do more than I was doing, so therefore I AM A SUCCESS!!!!

It's okay, you can laugh.

But really, I do feel like I have a new house. It's so much more fun to live here, and it will only get better as I clean out more areas I've been meaning to get to. Last weekend I cleaned out ds's room (he's grown through four sizes of clothes now and I actually put them away finally). My next project is the kitchen or the office, whichever I get to first when that cleaning mode strikes again. This is so exciting.

Really, it's okay, you can laugh!

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#65 of 86 Old 01-20-2004, 08:57 PM

Tana, totally not laughing b/c it's exactly how I feel!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#66 of 86 Old 01-20-2004, 09:38 PM

I started my control journal today, I can see how it is going to help! One of the things she says to do in it is a weekly menu/grocery list, and I think that just having that will make us not go out to dinner so much.

As for everything else...as long as I make the bed BEFORE I go to the bathroom in the morning things will get done, because that is my big reminder that I am doing flylady! Yes, I have forgotten that I am doing it:LOL :
#67 of 86 Old 01-20-2004, 10:03 PM

but dh is the King of the packrats. I want to know how to live with a packrat
My br is home to boxes of stuff. And he doesn't want anyone messing with his stuff.
he started work on a storage building to put his stuff ( a lot of which I finally put in sterilite boxes lol) in but hasn't finished it.
I told him that he needed to finish the building so we could move his stuff out and the bedroom would have the illusion of having space and we would both relax more ...
Still half roofed and 1/4 done. *sigh*
#68 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmeal
Just want to say - reading that woman's homepage scared me.

Can you really be that obsessed over housecleaning and not have OCD?
Now, now, don't cast aspersions on my flylady!

Really, I think it is about WAY more than housecleaning. IT's about being happy with yourself and establishing routines to make your life manageable. Can you imagine the pleasure she must get knowing that she helps so many people *get a grip* on things!!

We hardly flew at all today, but my sink is clean.

We're still focusing on the evening routine.

tiny tiny tiny baby steps.

xoox pam
#69 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by pageta
I discovered FLYLADY while MDC was down for upgrades last week. Clutter is probably the thing that causes the most strife in our marriage. My dh is the ultimate clutter freak - if he doesn't know what something is, he thinks it's junk. I can only honestly disagree with him about 50% of the time. When I was single, I used to do fall and spring cleaning every year - going through every single item in my house. Now that I'm married, I haven't done it once. Until I signed up for the FLYLADY....

I spent an hour on one room last week - I took two boxes to Good Will and was able to put my sewing stuff away so you can actually walk in our spare bedroom now and I can access my sewing stuff easily. I'm telling you, it's a major high - much better than shopping or eating a piece of cake or drinking a cup of coffee when you don't drink caffeine on a regular basis.

As for the constant emails, no, I don't do all of them either. Actually, I would say at this point I only manage to do about 20% of what the FLYLADY recommends, from shoes (hate them) to having a morning/evening routine. But I figure I learn by osmosis, and having all those reminders (even if I don't do all of them) helps me to do more than I was doing, so therefore I AM A SUCCESS!!!!

It's okay, you can laugh.

But really, I do feel like I have a new house. It's so much more fun to live here, and it will only get better as I clean out more areas I've been meaning to get to. Last weekend I cleaned out ds's room (he's grown through four sizes of clothes now and I actually put them away finally). My next project is the kitchen or the office, whichever I get to first when that cleaning mode strikes again. This is so exciting.

Really, it's okay, you can laugh!
I totally get you on this!! Feels great to reclaim your home.
#70 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 AM

I wouldn't laugh, pageta!

Clutter causes negative, stale energy...I truly believe that. You look at a pile of clutter and think "oh, yuck. I need to tackle that...later." or some such thing, and you've given it even more negative power.

I highly recommend Clear your Clutter with Feng Shui by Kingston. Flylady recommends this book, which is why I picked it up years ago. I still look through it and read passages every few months for a pep talk

Um...hey...anyone want to start a new thread? We could do a weekly Flylady thread so they don't get unmanageable?
#71 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 04:28 PM

I'm actually having good luck with Flylady this time around. I can't count the number of times I've dropped out in the past, but I usually don't make it past a few days, a week at tops! This time I approached it a little bit differently, I actually did a HUGE de-clutter of my whole house. I can't do it 15 minutes at a time, that would drive me crazy, and I wanted a fresh-clean slate to start with. I set a date for a yard sale, advertised it in the paper and worked against that as a deadline. I only had a week to do it and I let everything else go that week. We ate out, we climbed over the piles of soon-to-be discarded *stuff* and generally just survived that week.

The yard sale day was great, we made $255 and hauled another three truckloads (all this from my 1100 sq ft, 2 bedroom, no garage condo!!!) of stuff to Goodwill and I was so proud that I only let two items return to my house. Once was the breadmaker, that I have since given to a friend, and the other was my pump-in-style breastpump that I am still looking for a home for.

After the yard sale, even though I was exhausted, I went upstairs and rearranged our whole bedroom. I didn't want to fall into old habits again, so I limited the horizontal clutter attracting surfaces in the room to one. I'm still finding stuff that I can part with, and my house has never looked better. It was much easier to start Flylady and get into routines after I got rid of the bulk of my junk. For some reason this time, I was just ready to let go of everything that didn't make me happy.

Another thing that helped me this time was watching Clean Sweep on TLC...lol. Sounds silly, but the show was so motivating to me. I think it helped seeing that other people had clutter like I did!

I ordered the FlyLady Office in a Bag and Control Journal and they arrived last night. They are both great, and I am so glad that I made the investment. I was able to put all of my bills into it and it allowed me to get rid of the wicker organizer that I had on my desk that was the ultimate clutter magnet. One less hot spot to deal with!

Good luck to all of the other flybabies out there. I feel so much better about myself, my husband and kids are happier and I'm not embarrassed to open the door or the windows of the house anymore
#72 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 04:58 PM

Wow Brandy. You're good. :LOL

Well, I figured something out about me and my hubby this week. We feed off of each others laziness and "stepping over the mess, therefore it doesn't exist" syndrome. You know how you step over things on the floor for so long, that you don't even see the thing anymore?? We are so bad at that. We are going to try to do an evening routine together with the girls every night starting at 7 or 7:30ish. Last night was very good, and my older dd has already said that her game needs to be picked up later. I still need to get a move on with the other things. Man, why do I have such a hard time with this??
#73 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 05:04 PM

do tell about the office in a bag
I want to know if it is worth it what makes it worth it before I commit that much to a binder..
#74 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 05:32 PM

I looked at the page and started scrubbing my sink every night- not ready for reminders.

On thing that helped us with bill clutter is I pay them all online through our credit union billpay and file the current months bills downstairs, then shred the old ones.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#75 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CerridwenLorelei
do tell about the office in a bag
I want to know if it is worth it what makes it worth it before I commit that much to a binder..
If time is money, as they say...this will pay for itself in no time at all.

I can't tell you how much time I waste just trying to locate things. Stamps, pens, the ever-missing calculator, even the bills themselves! In my de-cluttering I found FOUR payment books for our truck. That means that in the last two years since we bought it, I have lost the payment book and had to call them to order a new one, THREE DIFFERENT TIMES!!! I am keeping our local library in business, just in my card replacement fees alone...we won't even talk about my overdue fines. They practically know me by name at the county clerk-recorders office, because I can't keep track of anyone's birth certificates and have to keep picking up new ones.

I really *needed* something to get me organized. The Office in a Bag itself is very simple. It's a compact, portable place to put the things that I need. I ordered the Control Journal too, and I just need to go get some page protectors and a binder. This binder will fit into the Office in a Bag and I will then have at my fingertips, everything that I need. Address book, emergency phone numbers, bank account info, everyone's social security numbers and health insurance info, grocery list, not to mention having a place to check off my home blessing routines

For me, it was worth every penny. No more stressing out looking for things.

HTH!
#76 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini

We are going to try to do an evening routine together with the girls every night starting at 7 or 7:30ish. Last night was very good, and my older dd has already said that her game needs to be picked up later. I still need to get a move on with the other things. Man, why do I have such a hard time with this??
This is one of the major things in our house that has changed. We now have a bedtime routine. I have dinner on the table by a certain time, then do the dishes and wipe off the table. We pick up the toys that have migrated down here throughout the day and then we are upstairs for baths, or on the nights they don't want one, they play in their room while I get everything ready for bed. We brush teeth, then read for about an hour. After stories, we all snuggle up in our bed and the kids fall asleep.

The best part of setting this routine is that I am getting time ALONE, or with DH. I get back up out of bed and I'm free to spend time doing things that I enjoy. This alone has made me a much happier mama

We never really had bedtimes before, but I realized that I was getting up really early with the youngest and the older two were staying up later and sleeping later in the morning and I was getting no alone time. I just tweaked their schedule so they are all going to bed at the same time and waking at the same time. In the summer, I imagine that we'll stay up much later, but still follow a bedtime routine of some kind.
#77 of 86 Old 01-21-2004, 10:25 PM

o boy, i joined flylady a minute ago and can't wait for my life to change...lol. i seriously need to get my butt going and get some kinda routine into my life.
i used to be a very organized person and my house would be spotless all the time. then ds came along...now before the next baby totally throws me off again, i will get everything in order.
i'm excited about that, but I WILL NOT WEAR SHOES INSIDE MY HOUSE (deadly sin in my house!!)
#78 of 86 Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 PM

Oh boy! I was excited to see this thread! I apologise that I have not read all four pages yet. I think starting a weekly thread is a good idea.

I joined Flylady a while back and it helped me alot. I even bought her book and feather duster. (LOVE the duster!) Alas! The email account that the flylady emails were going to died, I never changed it over to my new address, and my flying slowly fluttered away. You ladies have motivated me once again! I think I'll go shine my sink now.

Oh yeah... about the shoes. I never have worn shoes in the house either (or outside either for that matter ) and I always fely guilty about that when I was flying. Well, since then I developed a very painful problem with one of my feet called Morton's Neuroma. (Just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago after about a year and a half of pain) Tho doctor gave me arch supports and said that everyone should wear shoes with good support, even in the house. He says our feet were designed to be running around in mud and all the man-made hard surfaces are too hard on our feet. SO... I started wearing my shoes in the house and I must admit, my back and legs seem less tired. I bought some indoors-only shoes that I affectionately call my Mr. Rogers shoues. (Of course I'm bare-foot right now : )
Anyways... I just thought I'd share.

Woo-hoo Flybabies!
#79 of 86 Old 01-23-2004, 07:57 PM

at Office Depot a less $$ alternative to the Office in a Bag-it doesn't have the carry handles though

it is similar to this http://www.officedepot.com/txtSearch...l=SC&id=207004

It has all the stuff I put together ( almost ) from organized home.com ( I mix that with flylady lite) and zips closed.
It has inside on the left two pockets one that can hold a booklet, one smaller
five card holders , pen pencil holder, it has double paged calendar for the SHE"S like me who need bigger squares..notes/w notepad section, zip pouch for stamps, bills etc, zip pouch for cards or photos, another pocket in the back that has a notepad ( legal size ) tucked in
and expands ..
it was 22.92 and 20 + with my teacher discount..

Not to take money away from flylady but I know not everyone can afford the 39+s/h.
I am giving up a few things for this one too but wanted to pass it along..
#80 of 86 Old 01-24-2004, 12:53 AM

T Farra, I have morton's neuroma too (most of the women in my family have it). i don't have it bad, but I can't wear any heels at all. I love going barefoot but do have to admit that shoes make my legs and feet less tired. I never connected the two. Are they special arch supports or just the drug store variety? I find nice, cushioned, roomy sneakers work great for me.

I like Flylady too I am far from perfect on it, but then Flylady hates perfection anyway I delete all the reminders without looking. I used to do the special missions. Right now I'm sort of off the wagon, but even so, I have her voice in my head and I'm still de-cluttering on a regular basis. And my dd and I set the timer to do five minute cleanups together (she's 5). When I do something I don't want to do I often use my timer and set it for 15 minutes. She is very inspirational, that's for sure
#81 of 86 Old 01-24-2004, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I FLY. I love it. Yes, I do wear shoes in my non-shoe house. They are just for inside. I have been thinking about getting some very sassy inside FLY shoes as a present to myself. But then I'd be afraid to clean in them. Then I wouldn't clean cause I wasn't wearing shoes. Then my house would be a mess. So nevermind.

My dh hates when I fly, cause then harass him about the messy garage. Dirtbike parts and surfing stuff everywhere! :LOL

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#82 of 86 Old 01-24-2004, 01:33 PM

Me too, me too! I found flylady from someone here, but have only been half-heartedly following. THEN I went to Michigan at Christmas and went no mail...hmmmm....maybe I should fire back up, huh?

I haven't even started a control journal; and making beds - huh? I admit that I am more motivated when I wear shoes, but I don't have any dedicated "in-house" ones, and I don't like taking off & putting on to nurse Ian laying down all day -- big pain! I just bought him some moccasins (he has the FATTEST feet & won't fit in regular shoes), and they look so comfy, I may splurge!

Ian is 1 year old on Saturday!! He is finally okay when I do some things without him -- although doing anything standing up where he can't see apparently offends him, so kitchen cleaning is saved for nap times...theoretically! Anywho...I think I had a breakthrough -- Ian just let me nurse while I was looking at the computer!! Usually he won't let me do anything while he nurses -- I've been reduced to sneaking drinks of my water, and hiding books to read when he's sleeping. So possibly I will get some of my computer time when nursing. Gotta have my fix, or I can't seem to get anything else done. :LOL

Hmmm...this has been really disjointed -- I hope it makes some sense! I'll be back later.
#83 of 86 Old 01-26-2004, 03:21 PM

But I wanna try again anyhow. Didn't have time to read the whole thread. but I'm in!

Don't wear shoes either, BTW. I am tandem nursing and the best way is on the couch. Um, no shoes there please!
#84 of 86 Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by m&m mom
I think starting a weekly thread is a good idea.

I think it's a great idea too...I'll go start one right now. Maybe we can check in and keep eachother motivated. For some reason, whenever I'm doing flylady, it helps me stay on track if I can talk about it...lol.
#85 of 86 Old 01-31-2004, 03:52 AM

Hey, Where did everybody go?? My house is a pit and my finger is on auto-pilot of deleting emails these days. *sigh*

#86 of 86 Old 01-31-2004, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

here we are!

Let's remember to post a link when we start a new thread!

(((Gemini)))

ooxxo xpam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page