Craigslist Vent - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I don't think you're a horrible person. If you're not willing to take the 20 bucks, then say "I've got a butt load of offers, can we settle on $35?"

I'll almost always ask if they go down in price in person. I'm not comfortable negotiating price on something I haven't seen.
I'm just curious - do you say in the email, well I'll come take a look at it and we can agree on a price then? Or do you just say that you'll take the item?

If someone was upfront with me and said that we would agree on a price when they got here, I could then decide whether or not that would be OK with me. If there were other people wanting to buy, I would probably make an appointment with someone who agreed price firm. But if no one else was interested, I'd be OK with it. But if someone agrees to pay the asking price, and I take the time to be home and get the item out and do my part of the bargain, and then in person says, "no, actually I don't want to give you what you wanted, it's just not that good of an item" it's almost like an insult or something, that the item just isn't up to par or something or that I was lying about its condition or whatever. I don't *think* I'm being too defensive... Am I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 PM

If I want something for cheaper than a person is offering it for, I ASK in the email. I won't waste their time or mine by showing up and then saying, "Oh, will you take X amount instead?"

In fact, today DH sold his golf clubs. I told him to be prepared for the guy to offer him less than what he was asking. But SHOCKINGLY enough, the guy paid what DH was asking. I'm just so used to people showing up and offering less. :/
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
If I want something for cheaper than a person is offering it for, I ASK in the email. I won't waste their time or mine by showing up and then saying, "Oh, will you take X amount instead?"
I agree. I have never shown up and asked for a cheaper price. I would be really uncomfortable with that. I've sold a ton of stuff on CL over the past 6months and would always go through each email and write back to people until I found someone that was wanted it for the price listed -- or was upfront and offered me a lower price over email or phone. When I've been the buyer, I've only haggled 2-3 times and always via email. If they accepted my offer than we go to pick it up.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM

When I respond to the email I always say I'd like to come and take a look, not that I'm going to buy. I understand that if someone sends you an email and says I'm going to buy it, when can I pick it up -- then you're wondering why they want to haggle.

My own experience is: I've gone to look at a dresser for my kids and it stunk of smoke. No way was it worth the time to me to refinish the dresser and get the smoke out.

Now you've got me wondering if I'm breaking a craigslist rule of etiquette?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Now you've got me wondering if I'm breaking a craigslist rule of etiquette?
I think that as long as you (the general "you"- not just the PP ) are honest, it's fine. If you say, "I'm interested" but don't mention anything about wanting to see the item before deciding, I can see where a seller may think that you are for sure planning to buy. Honestly, I think communication is key when you're dealing on CL.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM

If you are mad at them for trying to get a better bargain then you should not bother with craigslist. Of course people are going to make faces and try to guilt you into lowering the price. If you don't like their offer then counter offer or walk away. Money is tight these days for everyone and people are being told to bargain more. I think most people assume that a price listed is negotiable unless stated in the ad that the price is firm. You can repeat in your responses that the price is firm and that you will not accept lower offers. Then hold your ground. Or you can price things to expect some negotiation. Glad you got to vent, but now do something about it

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My husband used to have the ugliest truck on the planet. It was a GMC something-or-other in the back and a Ford in the front. It was like five different colors, all some sort of primer. It sorta ran. There weren't *that* many problems with it. I really wanted it gone though because it bothered me. My husband agreed that I could get rid of it without worrying about how much money I got. I put it on Craigslist for $20. People showed up and tried to haggle us down.

Dude. It's a vehicle that runs for $20. Give me a break.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM

When I'm interested in something on CL I send an email saying that I'm interested and would like to see the item. Presumably that isn't a firm commitment to buy - what if I see it and it's not exactly what I was expecting? Also I agree that if I have made the effort to go all the way to someone's house, even if I try to bargain a bit (I usually offer $5-10 less than asking price) if the person said the price was firm I'd probably just take it. It's way more hassle for me to go see the thing than it is for the seller to respond to a different offer.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM

I've been trying to rid of my baby stuff on CL. I'm not desperate for money, so I click on the "I'm desperate for baby stuff!" wanted ads, and I email them and offer everything for free. About 90% of the time I don't even get a response!

So now I just stick everything on the side of the rd and it's gone within a couple of hours

I don't like the whole notion that everyone's stuff is worth so much. Just because you bought it at so and so price doesn't make you an awesome person that you're "willing" to sell it at 50% of what you paid for it or whatever. Even if it's in great condition. It's used and you're making money off it regardless of what you get. It's like yardsales. You charge like 50 cents for a book, not $10 because you paid $20 for it. Having said that, I would never bargain at the scene unless it's a yardsale. But that's just me.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
I don't like the whole notion that everyone's stuff is worth so much. Just because you bought it at so and so price doesn't make you an awesome person that you're "willing" to sell it at 50% of what you paid for it or whatever. Even if it's in great condition. It's used and you're making money off it regardless of what you get.
We bought it used already. But yeah, I suppose getting ANYTHING is better than nothing.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM

I had someone do that once- he showed up to buy a toddler bed and decided to offer $20 instead of the $40. He said he thought he could buy it new for $50 or so.
I told him thanks but no thanks. And if he could find it for $50, he should grab it because that was a great deal for this particular bed.
I think he was surprised that I turned his offer down, but I didn't think it was fair. I was annoyed that I had brought it all out to the yard for him to look at and then I had to bring it inside, but it ended up selling for my asking price the following day.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 AM

I thought I was the only one that got annoyed by these things. I have turned people away when they offer a lesser price in person (even if I would have accepted the price over e-mail.. to me its rude to agree to one price and then want it for cheaper when you come to get it). I also get annoyed when people don't show up with the proper amount of cash, I don't usually carry money on me so I don't have change to give it to people. I was selling a playkitchen once with dishes and pots for 35, the woman showed up an hour late to pick up the kitchen. At first she started to leave without paying me at all and when I followed her out of the apartment and asked for the money she was like "I only have two twentys and a 10 so you HAVE to take 20 for it" "sorry it was 35" "So you will take 30" "Nope it was 35" finally she managed to "find" a 5.00 bill. She was so rude about it. Ughs.. I dont' do transactions now unless DH is there to help me with people. In not a people person.

Other thing that annoys me is when people want you to deliver items to them because it would be to hard for them to go pick them up. I have on all ads "for pick up only" but I always get people who say Im to far away I need to deliver the items to them. Or "I have x number of children and don't want to drag them over there, can you bring it here?" Umm, if I could deliver I would have put that on the ad but since I said for pick up only its for pick up only. Its just as long for me to drive over there as it is for them to drive over here. The "I have kids so I need you to deliver" thing always makes me laugh though since most of what I sale is kids stuff so obviously I have children too.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 AM

this is why I always add on 25% than I want to end up with.If you don't get anu bartering then you score some extra.if they do barter you still end upi with more or less what you wanted

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

User Tag List