Craigslist Vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say that I am beyond fed up with trying to sell things. Most of the things I've sold were fine, good deals that made everyone happy. But the last couple of items I was trying to sell have been such a headache. The first was a playpen that had a TINY rip in the side that I mended. I posted about it clearly in the ad, with a picture, and I was asking $35 for the $100 playpen. The lady ended up giving me $10 for it.

Then about five minutes ago a lady gave me $20 for a table I was asking for $50 for. I bought it for $100 a couple of months ago. I *clearly* posted photos and the item description. One of the chairs had a rung that was broken, and I was upfront about it, and I said it would need a little work so I was only asking for half of what I paid for it. I got SO many responses but I weeded through them all and finally went ahead and set up the appointment. The lady came and after making faces at me she "agreed" to haul it off for us for $20. Well, gee, thanks. I agreed to let her have it because I had already hauled the thing out to the front of our house and it's been sitting in the garage so long I wanted it OUT.

It's one thing when they try to bargain upfront, over email, but after they finally show up at the house why are they trying to bargain then? I could understand it if I misrepresented the items in the ads but I always double and usually triple check that they're aware of ANY faults in what I'm selling, I send photos, measure, etc. And they're all eager to do the deal, then they show up and make faces and tell me what horrible condition they're in. (Which, they're not in bad condition, if they were they'd either be going to the dump or Freecycle or donated for free to the thrift store.)

ARGH.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest.

I'm mad at Craigslist people today.

ETA: I wouldn't care if we didn't need the money. But we do. That $50 was supposed to buy our groceries for next week. Now we have $20 to spend on groceries. I just feel like crying right now. Sigh.
#2 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 05:28 PM

I hear ya. A guy emailed back and forth with me for 2 days last week about buying a brand new car seat from us. I arranged to meet him in the middle of town, waited for 30 min, he never showed. Got home and there was an email-"Sorry about that, changed my mind at the last minute and decided not to buy the car seat"

And even when I put PRICE IS FIRM, NO OFFERS PLEASE- I still get several emails offering less than my listing price. People are rude and they can't read? Ugh. CL is not worth it sometimes.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#3 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

I always offer less than the asking price when I go to buy things of CL. I'm not rude about it, I agree that I like the item, and politely ask if they'll take X for it, and have gotten some great deals like that. I figure they can say YES or NO or find a price in the middle. Does that make me a horrible person?
#4 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

No, not a horrible person. I just think that should be done before we meet in person. I'm totally willing to bargain on the initial offer, and more often than not we make the bargain before the in person meeting is arranged. Once they show up I really expect the price to remain the same UNLESS I really did misrepresent the item somehow. (Which, I take really good care not to.) Once *I* was late to a meeting and the lady was sort of ticked off and asked if I'd take less money than we agreed on because she had had to wait. I readily agreed because I was at fault. But if the item is as represented and we had agreed on a price beforehand, I really feel sort of insulted if they say "I'll give you less, take it or leave it." Inevitably I take it but it leaves me feeling like .

And like I said, I often factor in the money into our budget. We had set up this meeting last week and I was really counting on getting the full price in order for us to be able to, oh, you know, EAT. My only source of income is selling our stuff right now.

Also, I know you figure that people can say yes or no, and that is totally true, but I have a reaaaaaaally hard time saying no. A person on the street could ask for my jacket, and I'd be like, "well, umm, it's kind of cold, and it's really my only one, but I guess since you asked nicely..." I'm horrible at saying no... That's something I have to work on.
#5 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM

I can see like $5 off what you expected, but to do $20 after a $50?? I would actaully say sweetly, When we communicated thru email, we said $50. I am using this money to buy groceries this week. IF I knew you were planning on $20, I would not have agreed to the appt. Then if she walks, she was taking advantage anyhow. $45 or even $40 is fine after saying its for feeding my family. But $20? I am sorry that had to happen.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM

To be fair, it's really your option not to agree to a lower price if you feel strongly that you've priced your item well. You don't have to take less $$, even though it's a pain to haul something back inside, or back home, etc. It kind of goes with the territory, although it's not pleasant.

Pictures can only communicate so much. The buyer is agreeing to essentially buy something sight unseen, which can be tricky sometimes, and the seller is putting their own sense of worth on the product, which may or may not reflect an actual selling price.
#7 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Fair enough, I can understand not buying something, but still, then maybe they could say "well, I'm not sure it will suit our purposes, but I'd like to take a look at it." One of the rungs of the chair was completely broken off and I took several different angled pictures of it. There's only so much that you can guess about that. A piece is broken, this is the piece. As far as putting my own sense of worth into it, I can totally see this being the case if it was, say, a vase, or a knick knack, or whatever. What may be treasure to me can be trash to someone else. But I just bought the table months ago for a certain price and I don't think it depreciated 4/5 of its price in that period of time. Or else, the play pens are all going for a set amount in the area, even the used ones, and it was like 70$ on Amazon for a used one. Ebay too. Over $100 brand new, and we had only stored stuffed animals in it, never even used it as a playpen. It was dusty and had a small mended hole. We got $10 for it. That's not me being delusional and pricing it absurdly...

Sigh. I'm beating a dead horse here. I wasn't really trying to stir up debate, I just wanted to vent some frustration.

On the positive side, at least my garage is that much closer to being cleaned out and clear again! And I don't have it hanging over my head that I have to sell it. For that alone I'm glad I let it go for that price. The time I would have had to invest in re-listing, going through the people again, setting up an appointment, actually having them show up... Yargh. At least that isn't hanging over my head.
#8 of 43 Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM

I understand. I posted a Casio keyboard on there for $25 (you can't hardly buy a child's toy keyboard for that) and the guy tried to get my hubby to go down to about $10 for it! : Luckily I wasn't with my hubby and he said he would get in "trouble" with me if he let it go any lower than the asking price. So the guy had kept on and only gave my hubby $20 to which he reminded him it was $25. I sold it for $25! : If it was me I probably would of went lower because I'm like that. I don't like to argue with people plus I'm a people-pleaser. I once let a nice couch go at our yard sale for $5! I was only asking $35 for it just to make room for our new one. That's part of the reason I stopped having yard sales.
#9 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 AM

My vent? My listings always say that anything I sell is pick up only(no way I'm going to drag a bag of stuff with 2 kids on public transit). Recently,someone was interested in some clothes and said she would pick them up. After standing me up 2x, she then asked me to deliver them as it's too difficult to get to my place with a child. I told her that I have 2 and my listing clearly said it's pick up only. And my area is always listed, so there were no surprises there. I'm beginning to think that CL isn't worth it. The same women kept trying to get me to lower the price, too. I can't get a whole lot lower than $5 per piece, especially when a lot of it still has tags attached.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#10 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

It seems to me that people really try to take advantage of you on there sometimes. I post a lot of free stuff whenever I can - free food, free clothes, etc - and sometimes I just really want to get SOME sort of money for things. I'm not trying to become a millionaire but I also don't want to be taken advantage of all the time by letting things go for next to nothing. It's one thing to look for a deal on something and another to make a game of ripping someone off. I know it's my right to say "no" but if you need the money bad enough, you'll take the deal, even if it's just pocket change. And the thing is, many of the people who are getting "great deals" off of us are pretty well off and bargaining is a game or challenge to them. We really DO need the money; we wouldn't be selling things if we didn't NEED it. To them it's a game, it seems, and to us it's a matter of, can we buy enough (thrifted) clothes for the kids this season or will they have to wear the same three shirts over and over again?

I think I should just listen to my husband when he tells me to "just leave the Internet people alone" whenever I tell him another CL misadventure.
#11 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 AM

I am not a haggler. I buy off Craigslist and pay whatever they're asking. If I think it's too much, I wait for it to go down.

I would have told those people no. I don't like people who try and swindle. YUCK.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#12 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 AM

are you trying to clear your garage, or are you trying to make some money?

if you are trying to make money and the only way to do that is to sell the limited amount of stuff you've got, then you absolutely have to hold out for the price you ask for.

until you start telling these people "no" when they bargain with you, the universe is going to keep sending you more people who realize they can take advantage of you.

apparently, it shows that you are desperate for the sale, and that you will be willing to take "whatever" in order to not have to haul it back upstairs.

start saying "no" and let these people go home empty handed. do you realize that, while you made an effort to haul the item out to the front lawn, they also made an effort to drive across town to get there?

they don't want to go home empty handed any more than you want to take it back.

if you really need $50, don't settle for $20!

and don't be surprised that people want to bargain like this - this is life, this is reality. get used to it!

#13 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 AM

Honestly, I would not have settled for $20. That's of course less than half of what you're asking. She had some nerve. I maybe would have offered to give you $40, but $20? WOW.

My vent? I offered four chairs up for FREE on CL last night. This guy emails, he'll be here in 30 min. GREAT! I set them out 15 min later. He emails me 1.5 hours later, BLASTS me and says how someone was walking down the street with the chairs (no one person could haul all four chairs alone at once but anyway). I replied and told him, that person stole them then, because I only promised him the chairs and no one else. Very strange and irritating. I wasn't going to make him knock on the door though because my kids were in bed and WOULD wake up, so I set them in my driveway. Strange that someone took them, since we can leave "nicer" stuff out and no one touches it. :/

So, I got blasted for that. Puh-lease. :/ UGH!
#14 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 AM

What if you started estimating the fair price and then add to it? If $35 is the fair price for the playpen, list it at $60 and maybe take $40? $80 for the table..."Well gee, I couldn't let it go for only $40, that's HALF of what I'm asking! But what about $50?" Beat em at their own game.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#15 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Do you find it difficult to say no?

Just wondering, my mom is always doing the same thing with people when she sells stuff. LOL. Like, a new garage door opener she sold--it was listed for $75 and she wound up selling it for $25. But she has difficulty saying no AND she really just needs to get the stuff out of the house (my dad's clutter).

She doesn't need the money though, but personally at that price I'd rather have her donate it to charity, KWIM? My sister has sold some stuff on Craigslist and apparently there are some really crazy people who respond do those ads, and I'm not that excited about my widowed elderly mother dealing with them!

Sorry that you feel crummy.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#16 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
are you trying to clear your garage, or are you trying to make some money?
Make money most of all, but I was trying to look on the bright side of things.

Quote:
until you start telling these people "no" when they bargain with you, the universe is going to keep sending you more people who realize they can take advantage of you.
That's very true.

Quote:
and don't be surprised that people want to bargain like this - this is life, this is reality. get used to it!
Sigh. Yeah. I know. But, I still don't have to like it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
What if you started estimating the fair price and then add to it? If $35 is the fair price for the playpen, list it at $60 and maybe take $40? $80 for the table..."Well gee, I couldn't let it go for only $40, that's HALF of what I'm asking! But what about $50?" Beat em at their own game.
That's a pretty good point. I guess I've been pricing to sell with how slow CL has been lately but maybe it's not worth it and I should just ask for more than it's worth.
#17 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 AM

I can't stand Craigslist for all of those reasons.

I do end up jacking the price up because I know people want to feel like they've talked me down in price. It's such a stupid game.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#18 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
I am not a haggler. I buy off Craigslist and pay whatever they're asking. If I think it's too much, I wait for it to go down.

Same here.
#19 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I can see like $5 off what you expected, but to do $20 after a $50?? I would actaully say sweetly, When we communicated thru email, we said $50. I am using this money to buy groceries this week. IF I knew you were planning on $20, I would not have agreed to the appt. Then if she walks, she was taking advantage anyhow. $45 or even $40 is fine after saying its for feeding my family. But $20? I am sorry that had to happen.
:

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#20 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM

You need to up your prices so you have room to bargain1 or you need to not bargain2.

1. E.g.
You post the coffee table for $75.
Lady: I'll give you $20 to haul it away.
You: I couldn't go less than $70 it *is* real wood you know.
Lady: Well, maybe I could give you $30 it does have that huge scratch.
You: I told you about the scratch in the ad, but I guess I could maybe sell it to you for $60.
Lady: I couldn't spend $60, would you take $40?
You: $50, and that's final.

2. e.g.
You post the coffee table for $50.
Lady: I'll give you $20 to haul it away.
You: The price is $50.
Lady: But it has a HUGE scratch.
You: That was made clear in the ad, as was the price. If you want the table it's $50.
#21 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM

I am constantly fighting with people on Craigslist and Freecycle. I am so sick of people not showing up. I hear your frustration with people. I am to the point that it is not worth trying to get the money and I would just donate it for the tex deduction.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#22 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Maybe I just don't get the whole "garage sale" aspect of CL, but to me, when you agree on a price via email or telephone beforehand, it's really tasteless to offer less at the time of the transaction UNLESS the item is seriously misrepresented.

A couple years ago, I was selling a Maclaren stroller. It was in mint condition- absolutely perfect. My asking price was 50% of what they were going for on ebay. My CL ad said that my price was firm- no offers. 8 people emailed about it- I went down the list and the first person agreed to my price, we set up a time, etc. She stood on my front porch and hemmed and hawed for 30 minutes- then offered me $20 less than what we had agreed on. I flat out told her that she had agreed to a certain price, and that if she had changed her mind, she was free to leave without the stroller and I would be happy to sell it to one of the other 7 people who were interested. She did pay my price, but OY, it was a headache.

I just don't get people like that

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#23 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 PM

The haggling gets to me once they arrive. I sold everything in my last lot of items for the asking price up until the last person came. He was a no show the first time and came 3 hours late the second time. Then he rushes in and says he only brought $35 instead of the $50 for the items he came for. I feel now that he was setting me up the whole time to just want to get rid of the stuff. But at the time I really did want to be done with it after he wasted so much of my time and gave it to him.

I agree with many of the pp, with craigslist you either have to be ready to negotiate and set prices higher than what you want, or stick to your guns and say that this is the price, take it or leave it.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#24 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post

I would have told those people no. I don't like people who try and swindle. YUCK.
same here.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#25 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM

I HATE HATE HATE when people put higher prices then what the item is really worth - evven though, as Ive learned from this thread, its for me to haggle you down. When I see a picture of an old wooden dresser, that looks old and decrepid - I am insulted that you are asking $50 for it - when clearly you dont use it, dont need it, and are trying to get rid of it.

I think upping the price just so you feel more comfortable haggling and dont have to say no is wrong. Either be comfortable and firm and say no thats the price - or haggle - but dont raise the price to higher than what its worth!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#26 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM

I guess that I am not much of a haggler either. I say what I mean and mean what I say. If someone just list a price for an item, then I can see trying to negotiate but not after you already agree to pick said item up unless it was really not what was described. If I listed an item as "firm" then I would ignore those who tried to negotiate and if someone showed up trying to negotiate after I listed at "firm" then I would not be amused. I not to be a rude person but I am a blunt person and would be so in that situation.
#27 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 PM

But, why did you take their deal? If someone agrees to one price even having seen the photos and knowing full well up front about the item, I won't take anything less than the previously agreed upon price. It's OK to not take their offer.
#28 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM

I'm not a fan of craigslist. Mostly because I can't seem to sell anything! People seem interested but then either don't show or after many many emails, just quit responding.

I would have said not to that deal. I'm not a haggler either and if they'd agreed to a price in an email, they should stick with it.
#29 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm ok with someone making me an offer for less via email, but once you say you're going to buy the item and I give you my address, don't show up at my door and offer me less. Its a waste of my time because I'm going to say no! I sell stuff on CL all the time and fortunately have only had 2-3 people try to haggle in person. I stay firm and tell them that I wouldn't have agreed to sell them the item if I knew they were going to him and haw and then low ball me.

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
#30 of 43 Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneBlossom View Post
No, not a horrible person. I just think that should be done before we meet in person.
I don't think you're a horrible person. If you're not willing to take the 20 bucks, then say "I've got a butt load of offers, can we settle on $35?"

I'll almost always ask if they go down in price in person. I'm not comfortable negotiating price on something I haven't seen.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page