Box help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find a low-cost way to organize dd's craft supplies. Right now, I have a hodge-podge of boxes with all of the supplies divvied up based on what fits in the boxes Needless to say, this system is inefficient, difficult to store, and results in the stuff never getting used as it is too hard to find what we need at any given time. I have a less-than-ideal storage space available for this stuff. Right now, I have a 3x2x3 foot section of cabinet. I do have a long-term plan but will probably not happen for a few more years. We unschool and I would like for dd to be able to find her stuff and do whatever she wants with little input from me. I pulled everything out and divided it by "type". For instance, there is a sewing pile, a knitting pile, a paint pile, a playdough pile, a beading pile, a sticker pile, etc.... I have about 12 piles. I would like to find identically-sized boxes that can be labeled and stacked in the available storage area. This type of box would be perfect:

http://www.uline.com/BL_1403/Literature-Mailers-White

They are cheap, reusable when we upgrade to a better system, and I could pick a size that would fit perfectly in the space. However, they come in bundles of 50. I have scoured the net looking for a place that sells them individually. Now, 50 would still cost far less than using rubbermaid or other storage boxes I priced out at the local office store. But I have no use for 38 of them and it feels sort of wasteful to "bring them into the world". I really have no place to store the remaining 38 until I needed them. I have asked around to friends and office-people I know, and no one wants to go in on an order. Anyone know where I could order these boxes in smaller quantities or has a better idea?
#2 of 4 Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 AM

You know, I've seen boxes like these in the recycling bins behind our paper products/stationary store. (Yes, I rummage for shipping supplies regularly!)
Maybe check out a store like this in your area - even a Staples or Office Depot - if you tell them the dimensions you need I bet you could get them free.
#3 of 4 Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 AM

or order the case of 50, and offer the rest up for sale on craigslist?
#4 of 4 Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Or free on craigslist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page