Organizing my time and information - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We focus a lot in this forum on decluttering/organizing our things and our spaces (and decluttering/organizing relationships is covered by personal growth and a number of other forums) but what about time and information?

Things I've done this week to organize those areas.

Time:
I've written out both a weekly and daily routine.
I've gone through and set up automatic payments for our monthly bills so I don't have to think about them or think about paying them.
I've compiled the information for accessing the accounts in one place so I don't have to hunt out that information each time.

To do for time: Buy a wall calendar.

Information:
I've created a spreadsheet with our monthly bills.
This also includes the amounts outstanding on our debts, and available credit card balances so that information is in one place and easily retrievable.
I've grouped various handouts on craft projects and medieval dance into a folder.

To do for information: Buy a filing cabinet.
#2 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 AM

Mindfully managing my time has been a HUGE project for me. I know HOW to organize, clean, and motivate myself, but scheduling that around my needs, my toddler's rhythms, and my husband's schedule? Not so much... I'm getting better, though, and speaking of he is out right now and I have tasks!
#3 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Good job! I am always working on these two...
#4 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 AM

If you are online a lot for email (especially if you use Gmail), this is a really good article on productivity. I looove this blog. If you scroll to the bottom of the main page, the most popular articles are organized by category.

Zen Habits Blog

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#5 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM

It has taken me years to recognise that I can't get too elaborate.

What's working for me is a calendar book, like a month to a double page almost letter size book.

On the inside front cover I have typed out and stuck all of our accounts and utilities, login names and reminders for the passwords. I got my husband's pay schedule and have written in every pay day. On the first blank day square of each month I write outstanding checks, and cross them off as they're cashed. Utilities and direct debits go on the right hand side of each page by date they will be due.
#6 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
If you are online a lot for email (especially if you use Gmail), this is a really good article on productivity. I looove this blog. If you scroll to the bottom of the main page, the most popular articles are organized by category.

Zen Habits Blog
OMG awesome. I also enabled a ton of other stuff like accessing Gcal and Gdocs right from mail.

Soooo nice.
#7 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 PM

I have been using Gmail for years - was one of the original 1000 non-Google employee Beta testers, and I am constantly amazed at how innovative it is. I think the ultimate triumph is my G1 phone (T-mobile), because now I have seamless access to my Gstuff anywhere. Love it.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#8 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM

I have the speadsheet for the bills, what I do is a printed form that I can write in the information every month then go back and put that into the actual program so I can budget easier and see where our money actually went. Having my "bill sheet' as I call it ... Oh I love it soooo much. I can quickly glance at any time and see what we have due and when and how much, I have Who, statement date, min. due, date due, balance, pd ck # amt pd, and date pd. That sheet tells me everything that I need to know.
#9 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 AM

I actually need to get off of MDC and work on my Book of Hearth and Home. It's my pagan homeschooling mom version of a Home Management Binder. I lurve it! ::::

It's not even done and it's been saving me so much time and energy remembering what groceries we have, what I want to do for meal plans, what needs to get done that day, ideas for sprucing up the apartment, etc.

I'm going to enter the Apartment Therapy kids room contest, so DH is taking pics of the kids room tomorrow. I'll ask him to take a few of the binder and of the entryway we just finished too.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page