Spice Tubes? Test tube spice storage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here use test tubes to store spices? I have a billion (ok, not that many) spices in my cupboard and in my tiny little kitchen, cupboard space is prime real estate. I saw someone on the food network using a basket with test tubes in it for his spices. I thought that was so radical. Does anyone here use this system? How does it work? Any recommendations on where to buy something like this?

Thanks!

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1
#2 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 PM

http://www.deandeluca.com/new-and-se...pice-rack.aspx Or look into laboratory supply companies and make your own.

However...
Any system that has you transfer the spices to special containers is going to be a PITA to manage. And a test tube would be exceptionally annoying to fill. You'll have to come up with a way to label the tops or memorize where all the spices are. And the test tubes don't sit flat, which is bound to be inconvenient in some way.

http://images1.hdpi.com/product_enla...ck_0718035.jpg is sort of like what I had and that's what I'm basing my opinion of that sort of spice rack on. Seriously, it was fun to load up the little jars the first time and after that it just kept ending up with me sitting the new spices to one side with "I'll put that in the jar sometime..."
#3 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 03:07 PM

I agree, transferring stuff from one container to another is going to be a PITA. I've done it before with cereal and snacks, and I just wound up with a bunch of containers that I don't use. Plus, a test tube doesn't hold as much as the regular spice containers, so you'd have to store the regular containers, as well.

I picked up these metal spice rack things ( http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100519818 ) from Home Depot, and attached them to the outside of my cabinets, on either side of my sink. My spices are easy to reach, easy to see, and easy to put back when I'm done.
#4 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 04:31 PM

Unless you buy spices in bulk/loose. Then a hard sided container works much better than the plastic baggies.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#5 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Steve Spangler Science sells different sizes of baby soda bottle test tubes - they are soda bottles that haven't been blown out to the bottle shape. I don't know if that would work for you. I was looking at some earlier today while planning a science party.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#6 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 PM

I had a test tube rack for a while. It looked cool but was a pain. They didn't hold very much, had narrow mouths so hard to get even a small spoon in and also hard to shake since they didn't have a top designed for that. And yeah, transferring things from one container to another was annoying. I order in bulk from Penzy's now and just keep everything in bulk bags organized like a file cabinet (the bags stand up in a shoe box like container and I can quickly flip through to find the one I need).
#7 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm currently coveting a wall-mounted spice chest (like a mini-chest of drawers). Still searching for the perfect one to buy online though!

I agree that test tubes, cool as they are, are likely to be a pain longterm. I buy some of my spices in bulk, though, which means they need to be transferred somewhere in any case. A tip for pouring them into narow containers: use a funnel! You can make a disposable one with the corner of an old envelope - just snip off a bit small enough to fit inside the mouth of the test tube. You could label them with sticky labels cut into narrow strips and wrapped around the tubes.

So it *could* work, but I suspect the novelty would wear off quickly. I like those magnetic spice jars that stick to the fridge, but I'm trying to achieve an old-fashioned countryish look in my kitchen, not a modern one, so I can't use those. I make things hard for myself!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
A tip for pouring them into narow containers: use a funnel! You can make a disposable one with the corner of an old envelope - just snip off a bit small enough to fit inside the mouth of the test tube. You could label them with sticky labels cut into narrow strips and wrapped around the tubes.
I did. Spices clog up the tip, a lot of them stays stuck to the funnel (or paper funnel, tried both ways) and when the container's smaller than the purchased spice container it'll overflow and you lose even more of the spice.

For my bulk spices I actually use the plastic containers that delis use for their 1/4lb servings. Since the spices are in a cupboard they aren't exposed to light so it's okay to use clear containers. I wrote the spice name on in sharpie. And since they stack up, 8 of them fit in the same space as 4 spice bottles.

And since I have like 50 of them, when I've got too much for one, I pour it into two or three and store the extras on the upper shelf above my spices.

Mind you, my ideal spice rack would be something like this only with lids.
#9 of 10 Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM

I had the same problem - small kitchen and tons of spices. I was coveting the magnetic tins, but they were too pricey. My dh loved the test tube ones, but again, too spendy and, still wouldn't have the space to store them.
I wound up stumbling upon some little metal heart-shaped tins at Michael's craft store around Valentine's day that were on sale (something like a box of 20 tins for $14). I bought two boxes of them and a box of little, flat round magnets (a little smaller than, say, a Rolaid) and the spices take up so little space! I keep mine on the side of my fridge, which is near the stove, but you could probably mount them inside a cabinet door, too, either by mounting a piece of metal for the magnets or using Velcro on the door and the tin.

Raechel, mom to 3 boys (J-14, K-11, & T-8), car seat tech/instructor, gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free cook, chicken-raising, wannabe gardener living on 5 acres.

#10 of 10 Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitemama View Post
I had the same problem - small kitchen and tons of spices. I was coveting the magnetic tins, but they were too pricey. My dh loved the test tube ones, but again, too spendy and, still wouldn't have the space to store them.
I wound up stumbling upon some little metal heart-shaped tins at Michael's craft store around Valentine's day that were on sale (something like a box of 20 tins for $14). I bought two boxes of them and a box of little, flat round magnets (a little smaller than, say, a Rolaid) and the spices take up so little space! I keep mine on the side of my fridge, which is near the stove, but you could probably mount them inside a cabinet door, too, either by mounting a piece of metal for the magnets or using Velcro on the door and the tin.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I might try the magnets.

Thanks for the perspective on the spice tubes. I totally hear y'all and I'm sure the novelty would wear off quickly.

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page