people who are happy they now live in a smaller house. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wanting to hear some benifits to getting a smaller house. Right now we live in a 2000 sq foot home but in order to get in a better neighborhood we will have to get a smaller house. I am stressed about this so please tell me some good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 PM

I had a friend who did this a few years ago. HOnestly, she still thinks it was the best possible thing that ever happened to her. She only kept what was truly special and meaningful & got rid of all the crap that people hang on to.

She motivates me to keep my house clutterfree.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#3 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM

We just moved from a 1280sqft house to a 860sqft house. At first, it was awful, I felt so cramped. But now we are realizing how little we truly need, and what we do keep has a purpose. Its awesome! I feel a lot less stressed now!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#4 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM

We moved to a much smaller house while I was pregnant (oh the irony!). Although I miss things like having space for guests and a home office for DH, here are things I DON'T miss:
a) cleaning more than one bathroom
b) cleaning bedrooms that aren't heavily used
c) having more spaces for *stuff* than I could mentally keep track of
d) having the excuse of all that space to buy crap I didn't really need at Target

Also, I like that in our small house DD can play with her dollhouse in one room, I can use the computer in another, and DH can work at the table and we're all sort of cozily together, not in separate parts of the house.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
We moved to a much smaller house while I was pregnant (oh the irony!). Although I miss things like having space for guests and a home office for DH, here are things I DON'T miss:
a) cleaning more than one bathroom
b) cleaning bedrooms that aren't heavily used
c) having more spaces for *stuff* than I could mentally keep track of
d) having the excuse of all that space to buy crap I didn't really need at Target

Also, I like that in our small house DD can play with her dollhouse in one room, I can use the computer in another, and DH can work at the table and we're all sort of cozily together, not in separate parts of the house.
I agree so much with this. There are six of us (and two cats and a German Shepherd) living in 1340 square foot. We actually use just two of the bedrooms. I have to think a lot about if something is worth the space it will take up in my house. I am almost always in declutter mode.
#6 of 8 Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM

I can't tell you how much I've been dreaming of living in a smaller home lately. I know it won't solve my clutter/ organization problems since that's an issue with habits, but it would definitely force me to get rid of a LOT of stuff. We've been decluttering for a couple of years now but have a loooong way to go. We're dreaming of moving into the countryside in the next few years, which would mean most likely living in a much smaller place for at least a few years while we save up to build, and so I am using that as motivation for me. I've been imagining what I would pack and what I would leave behind, and if I wouldnt' pack something (even if I have space for it in this house - which I really don't or it wouldn't be so messy) then I give it away.
#7 of 8 Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM

I can't say exactly that I'm happier in a small space, I do see some major advantages though!

--Utility costs are significantly lower
--Big time saver! Maintenance wise
--Had more "stuff" in a larger space

When you have a smaller space, somehow things feel 'simpler' in a way. You can devote time to more important things. I definitely am all for doing as little housework as possible. I grew up in a house about 2x this size and definitely this house is easier to maintain.
#8 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You!! Ya'll have helped me soooo much!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page