Plastic Purge! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For mixing we have a combination of pyrex (vintage and new) and stainless steel.

For serving I have some beautiful glass bowls and wooden (for things like salad and chips).

We also just purged all our gladware and ziplock plastic storage containers and now use glass pyrex with the rubber lids.

Me:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM

for serving bowls, we also like Fiestaware, stainless steel, and Corelle.

Eden Foods beans are in "safe" cans. Not some of the other foods they make, including, (I think) rice and beans, but the beans are safe. We use them for emergency supplies and rotate new ones in when they go on sale. I think there are one or two other canned food makers that use safe cans, just can't remember....

We are trying for a balance of minimal plastic. We also avoid it because of the Pacific Ocean plastic field:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wil...-garbage-patch

scary.
#33 of 42 Old 05-25-2009, 01:48 AM

Yeah! Lovin' this thread! I just made a plan today to purge my kitchen cupboards before end of my maternity leave and sell all my tupperware at a garage sale and use money to buy safer storage. I have been gradually getting rid of plastic. Also started with the toys. For those who were asking earlier about nice, safe wooden toys, I've been doing my shopping at magiccabin.com and oompa.com. Very happy with all purchases so far. Saved up to buy dd#1 a handmade wooden kitchen for this past xmas. Gave LOTS of plastic toys to goodwill this week. Onto the kitchen. : Have been using thermos and sigg cups for dd#1. She uses our ceramic dishes too. Using Borne Free glass bottles for expressed milk when needed with dd#. Planning on getting bamboo or wooden baby bowls/utensils when dd#2 is older. I think organic grace sells these.

Glad to hear what other people use for food storage. I was thinking about investing in some pyrex but wasn't sure whether the plastic lids defeated the purposed. Mason jars are a great idea! Stupid question and assuming the answer is yes, but is glass safe in the freezer?

Hey
#34 of 42 Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post
Stupid question and assuming the answer is yes, but is glass safe in the freezer?
Leave space at the top, more for liquids. You might want to also freeze the food overnight with the lid off and put it on in the morning.

btw, you guys might be able to find cheap glass containers at thriftstores. I see mason jars at Goodwills all the time.
#35 of 42 Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks Sapphire!

Hey
#36 of 42 Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear207 View Post
i think the biggest thing for us will be the storage tubs (unless you count the computer . they're just so handy! i can't even think of any else that large to hold stuff (well cardboard but they fall apart). we do have one wicker basket but i doesn't hold much and ds likes to unweave it....

Om girl -I'm having that toy trouble too. thats why we've kept the lego & animals not to mention the wooden toys that have plastic wheels. other wise he'd have 3 toys and i'd feel kinda bad about that. i need to find some catalogs with all natural toys to send to the folks so they can fulfill their toy buying needs and we can replace what we have now.
What about cloth baskets? Like Pottery Barn has? Or this hanging storage unit? Or this one.

Wooden bins (with Bench)?

Cutie_Patootie on here has an absolutely fantastic coop and run really cool toys from Holtztiger, Selecta, Speil & Holtz, I forget, Klean Kanteen, etc. She had a link in her siggy for a while. It's my favourite coop in the world.

Nova Naturals has a catalog, I believe.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#37 of 42 Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM

If you're trying to get away from plastics, then you'll probably want to avoid nylon (like the hanging storage unit).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic#Nylon

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#38 of 42 Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

I'd like to start purging our plastic food storage containers and replace them with Pyrex. How many do you have, and in what sizes? It seems like they'd take up a LOT of space.

I don't know about DH, though. He likes taking food to work in plastic. Glass might be a problem for him.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#39 of 42 Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM

We have about nine pyrex containers. Three are rectangular with plastic lids, and they nest. Three are round with plastic lids and also nest. The other three are all round with glass lids and they don't nest well. We have one smallish cabinet devoted to them and to the many glass jars we also use (I like to take my lunch to work in glass spaghetti sauce jars, as the pyrex containers with plastic lids look leak-proof but aren't). We also use glass jars to store foods in the pantry, and when those aren't in use, I keep them in the same cabinet.

I think I actually devoted more space to storing all the plastic!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#40 of 42 Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
...the pyrex containers with plastic lids look leak-proof but aren't).
I would think this could be a major problem for me. I don't like the idea of food storage that isn't sealed. I have a set of Pyrex mixing bowls that have really nice fitting, tight lids. I think they are pretty much air tight. But my Pyrex 9x13 pan has a lid that doesn't really seal well. I wonder why some Pyrex seals and some doesn't. :

Thanks for the input on how many. I've been looking at the various sets of Pyrex, thinking maybe I'll get one the next time I get a coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond in the mail.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#41 of 42 Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 PM

I know this is an old tread, but I wanted to see how everyone did with their purge? I, too, am trying to purge the plastic which is mostly toys. Its been really hard for me for some reason. I have gotten rid of A LOT so far, but we had just gotten a bunch of new plastic stuff for the holidays. Do you think its okay to keep any plastic toys? I only buy wood now.

Natural minded Mama to two young amazing babes!
#42 of 42 Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

I just saw this, so I'm glad you revived the thread!!!!!! We have a 5 month old and I'm going to tell everyone no plastic! We've been trying to make things for her to play with, but this thread gave me instant motivation. Thanks!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page