Use Clean Sweep methods to get stuff out! (+ moving xc & packrat dh update) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a brain storm. I can't believe I never thought of this before! I love the show Clean Sweep. I was just out in the living room and I opened a big blanket to lay down on the floor to put all of my and dd's belongings and clothes on. Sometimes we like to do an "inventory" and put all our things (usually just all of dd's toys and such on it) on the blanket. Just because it's fun for me. My dd loves it, and she pretends to have reins and she's flying reindeer to outer space on her rocket ship.

Anyway, we are moving to Seattle (my hometown) in 3 months and I've been getting rid of lots of stuff that I don't need and don't plan to have fit in our Rav 4.

(MAJOR sidenote: My husband is all over getting rid of stuff! He even said to me last night that he's learned so much from me and all my speeches on minimizing and how he see's it's a great idea now. !! This is shocking. He has been a packrat for as long as I've known him, and I Never thought I'd see this day! Awesome. He has lists of what he wants to do with his things; he's selling everything except his laptop (he is a serious computer geek and has sold his used-to-be-beloved 24" monitor already!), he wants to pare down all his clothes and only keep what is the best quality and only a certain number of things... he has seen the light and I am so grateful. I'll write more soon on our "history" of our things and what's happened in the past with regard to my wanting to not own anything, heh, and his wanting to keep everything. I want to talk about it![/End Awesome, Major Sidetrax]

So! I layed the blanket down and said to Molly, "Hey, this could be our tarp to have all our stuff on, just like on Clean Sweep!". And then it dawned on me that we could have that first big blanket with all the stuff on it, and make 2 smaller blankets on the floor for the keep and giveaway piles! Sweet. I'm amazed I never thought of doing that with my own things, considering how many times I've seen that show, heh. So we're going to do it now, and I just had to run in and type this idea out for you guys, 'cause I know there are ppl on here who would totally do this today too.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone wants to give advice on moving across the country/having minimal possessions I am all ears... er, eyes, or whatever.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

That does sound like a great idea. And I admit, that show has me hooked - it's one of the few shows we watch around here!!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM

I do that too! It's so much easier to take everything out and then only put back what you want/need!

I loved watching that show when we had cable, maybe I'll see if it's available online or through Netflix!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM

I did this at the end of my major declutter last year. I pulled everything out of each room though & put it into the living room and only put back the things that I used regularly, love and have special meaning. I got rid of everything else. I LOVE my house now.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Am I the only one who takes things out to declutter and then doesn't finish the job and walks/ works around them for days or weeks on end? I'm horrible that way!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:07 AM

Shellie, I only do that in my bedroom. It's the only room in the house that looks terrible because it's a work in progress. I don't get a chance to get in there and work nearly often enough.

Embarrassing confession: There is a suitcase sitting in the middle of my bedroom floor. It's been there for two weeks, because I broke the glass in a picture frame the other day. I picked up the major pieces, but couldn't get out the vacuum (kids were sleeping) so I just stuck the suitcase on top of it. I have yet to get in there with the vacuum while the kids were awake so the suitcase is still there.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellieC View Post
Am I the only one who takes things out to declutter and then doesn't finish the job and walks/ works around them for days or weeks on end? I'm horrible that way!
I used to do that but I put a stop to it b/c our 2 & 4 yr olds would drag it all over the house and undo the work that we had done. So, I started out not dragging everything out of the room but going into the room with a trash bag and a donation box. DH & I would not go to bed at night until the donation bag was in the back of the van and the trash bag was in the outside container. After doing as much of that as possible in each room, then we moved on to the "clean sweep" method and it had to be finished before dh & went to bed like I said above or our progress would be undone by early rising children.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 AM

Haha, that reminds me... an empty jar of baby food broke in my diaper bag MONTHS ago and the bag is still sitting on my washer waiting to be dealt with. I took the big pieces of glass out and then left it there for "later". Now that's embarrasing.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 AM

Yk, I LOVE that show but it never occurred to me to declutter that way. Of COURSE!!!! I don't know why the thought never occurred to me. You Go Girl!!!!!! :

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM

I am SOOOO doing this when I purge my closet & dresser when school is out. Only 5 more days & then I am hitting it hard. :

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

User Tag List