how many clothes do I need for a baby girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am expecting a girl at the end of August and have been "collecting" free baby clothes for her in hopes of spending very little money on new for me stuff. I know I had way too many clothes around for my first (a boy) but can't remember how much I actually needed. I feel like I'm being taken over by her clothes & she's not even here yet, but don't want to get rid of anything that I will need. What do you consider a good amount of clothes for a girl for the 1st year? (sleepers, onesies, tights, dresses, pants, shirts, sweaters, outfits to go out in, etc.) We live in a 4 season climate with cold/ snowy winters & she'll be born at the beginning of fall. Thanks all!
#2 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 04:00 PM

One thing I've run into with girls clothes is "outfit" mania. With boys, it seems like you can mix and match separates. With girls, it's all about the "outfit" so matching shirt and pants or jumper. I'm trying to move away from this, but it's hard when we get so many outfits like this as hand-me-downs. It really adds to laundry and limits her wardrobe flexibility.

Anyway, dd was born in late september, and I dressed her mostly in 1-piece suits until about March. We keep our house pretty cold in the winter, so it was easiest and warmest to just keep her in pjs/blanket sleepers all day. So, I had about 5 pjs and 4 blanket sleepers, in 3-6 month size. I usually put an undershirt onesie on her as well. Then I had maybe 2 dress up outfits, for special occasions. And then maybe 2-3 daytime outfits, for playdates or classes out of the house (where she'd look silly in pjs). I also had a fleece bunting for her, for outdoors.

Seems like I never had enough warm sweaters or light cotton hats for my winter baby. Keep these!

Now, for spring/summer, she's wearing mostly pants/leggings and short sleeve or long sleeve shirts. I also bought her a few sundresses, because they're cute, and the diaper covers that come with dresses can double as shorts. So, she has about 4 pairs of pants/leggings in 12-month size, plus about 6 short-sleeve shirts, 3 long-sleeve shirts, 3 light sweaters, 3 pairs of shorts, 3 swimsuits, 3 sun hats, 3 sundresses with diaper covers. I'm trying to stick with a light pink/white-based palate, so all the tops and bottoms are interchangeable. For pjs, she's now wearing her big brother's hand-me-downs, in 12-month size. I'm hoping this will get us through to fall!

Sorry this is so diffuse--hope it helps somewhat!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#3 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 05:48 PM
LCB

Well, I have an 8 month DD right now so we've just been through this. One thing to consider is what kind of diaper you're going to use because I find that a cloth diaper generally will bump the size up a bit since they're bulkier. I like the mix'n'match like the PP. I avoid outfits like the plague and try to have onsies (either short or long sleeve depending on season) and pants to match. I love, love, love one piece rompers so I use those too. I can't say what sizes you'll want to have around, that depends on her growth pattern but I like to have one outfit per day (baby sleeps in what she wears during the day unless it gets messy) plus 2 spares, so 9 outfits? Either 9 rompers or 9 onsies plus 2 pairs of pants. I always keep bibs on the kid so that the clothes stay cleaner. Hope that helps!

Me, a husband, a social butterfly 2008, and a cheeky monkey 2011

#4 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Fall:
6 long sleeve onesies
6 short sleeve onesies
4 sleepers
3 wearable blankets/swaddle blankets
3-6 t-shirts to layer over onesies
3-6 pants
3 pair babylegs
1 pair Robeez boots
1 pair Robeez shoes
2 "nice" outfits
4 knit hats
2 warm hats

Winter:
6 long sleeve onesies
6 sleepers
2-3 wearable blankets
3 t-shirts
3 pair pants
(same) Babylegs
(same) Robeez boots
(same) Robeez shoes
2 "nice" outfits
5-6 hats (1 super warm hat)
BundleMe or snowsuit

Spring:
6 long sleeve onesies
6 short sleeve onesies
2 wearable blankets
3 one piece sleepers (footless)
3 Popover onesies (Carters)
6 t-shirts
4 pair pants
1 pair jeans
2 hoodie outfits (Carters mix/match)
3 "nice" outfits/dresses
1 sweater for "nice" outfits
2 lightweight hats (knit cotton)
1 sun hat
Babylegs
1 pair Robeez
lots of bibs

Summer:
6 short sleeve onesies
3 t-shirts
2 pairs cotton pants
1 pair jeans
5-6 Popovers (Carters)
2 pair pajamas (lightweight sleepers)
4-6 "nice" outfits/dresses
1 sweater for "nice" outfits
1-2 sunhats
1 bathing suit/SPF shirt
2 swim diapers (re-usable)
Babylegs
1 pair Robeez (same)
lots of bibs

It seems like a lot, but a lot of the stuff will carry over for two seasons or more depending on how you LO grows.
Plus you're only having to do about a load of laundry every other day.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page