Zen Habits Guide To Creating A Minimalist Home - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://zenhabits.net/2007/08/a-guide...nimalist-home/

I read a thread on here last year with a link to this and have linked to it myself, but I just had to make a thread just for it. I don't even know how many times I've read through that article, but it's been many! I come back to read it every 2 months or something, for the inspiration that is there waiting for me to read again. I know minimalism is not everyone's cuppa joe or whatever, but it's totally mine. As Venom on Spiderman 3 might say if he were somehow made into a Momma/Venom hybrid monstrosity: "I like being a minimalist. It makes me happy." (In the actual movie he says, "I like being bad. It makes me happy." And it's Topher Grace saying that, so you can imagine how it would come out. My dd and I get a kick out of that line, heh.)

Anyway, I am prone to tangents, excuse me, a-hem. Hope some of you enjoy reading it for the first time or for the 50th.

And just for fun, here are a couple other good reads:

Peaceful Simplicity: How to Live a Live of Contentment

http://zenhabits.net/2007/08/peacefu...f-contentment/

21 Tips on keeping a simple home with kids

http://zenhabits.net/2007/08/21-tips...ome-with-kids/

Zen Mind: How to Declutter

http://zenhabits.net/2007/01/zen-mind-how-to-declutter/

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#2 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I love Zen Habits but haven't checked it out lately. I need some inspiration!
#3 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Thanks for posting the links!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#4 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM

Thanks for sharing! What a great website. I only read a bit of it before jumping up and getting rid of a bunch of wall decorations/ art that I didn't LOVE anymore. My husband loves the site too.
#5 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM

delete
#6 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post
I just checked in at Zenhabits today and came across an article that seemed like it was just for me. How to stop reading about things and start doing them!!!!! I am totally guilty of this and from the responses, I can see that I am not the only one. I love gathering information, but implementing it seems to be another story.
: I'm right there with you. It seems so much more fun to read about the stuff, but it's so much more gratifying to actually do them. It's the starting that's the hard part (especially for a perfectionist like me).

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#7 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 AM

I loooove Zen Habits! I subscribed to the email feed so I get all the articles. (The one and only blog that I've bothered to do this for.)

This "minimalist" article is actually the one that drew me to ZH in the first place.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#8 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks for posting this! I will take some time today to read it.

I had been decluttering, I have decluttered before, but lately have fallen off the decluttering wagon again.

I don't think I'll ever be a minimalist, but I could really use some inspiration.

If I lived alone and had very comfy furniture and fresh cut flowers in my house I could maybe go close to minimalist or some variation of minimalist.

But I live with a gadget/gizmo loving dh.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#9 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 06:37 PM

I wish I could do this, but I can't. My two daughters love to make elaborate displays of legos, post their art on the walls and my buffet is filled with an elaborate display (that I have tried to contain). So the clear spaces thing is a fantastic plan but unrealistic, unless I curb (stifle) the creativity of my girls.

How do you deal with this? Because my sanity would be greatly improved by more clear spaces and less clutter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page