Mothering Forum banner

Decluttering the diaper bag.....

905 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  NicaG 
#1 ·
I need help downsizing our diaper bag. We originally started out with a backpack and later switched to a diaper bag that fit our needs (plain, messenger style, that held what we needed). However, it's really too big to carry around places where I actually want to have more stuff with us (i.e. the zoo, where I also will be wearing 1-2 kids).

My kids are 6 1/2, 4 1/2, and 22 months, and we are talking about having one more. Here is what I need it to hold:

1 diaper - I keep a few diapers and wipes in the van

small cooler bag with Lact-Aids - I'm a low supply mom so we use LAs to supplement as we nurse. I also throw cheese or gogurt in there if we are taking it with us

cell phone

planner - the crux to all organization in our lives

water bottle - 33 oz. stainless steel that the kids and I share

a few snacks for hungry kiddos

If I need to take stuff for my youngest to do when the older two are in gymnastics or something, I can grab a small bag with toys and activities.

I'm not a purse person, but I've been looking at some nice leather bags on Kohls.com that would work well - minus one thing - no place for our large water bottle.

Help me downsize! Give me tips on how you manage stuff for a family with multiple kids, including younger ones.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have kids yet, so I'm speaking with my eyes closed....But, what about creating a special bag to hold the water bottle? You could make it out of a sock or sew, knit, or crochet one. Would that be helpful, or not? Could you have the almost 7-year-old carry it for a while when your out? What about renting a wagon for the zoo to stash all the extra stuff in?

#3 ·
Ok, we do fanny packs... even the 1yo has one, heh. So each kid has whatever they need in their own fanny pack (they all have swiss army knives, also)... I do carry my cell phone, camera, wallet, notepad and pen, diaper, wipes, and some other stuff (tweezers, bandaids, mints.. etc)... if we are doing a long day where I need ice packs to keep stuff cool though I take a backpack with food and extra diapers and clothing, otherwise it's the fanny, and I have a carabiner clip I hook my water bottle to... we love having our hands free, shoulders unburdened and still having everything we need.... I think I've seen somewhere something like a large thermos where you can keep things cold inside that might work with a fanny and a carabiner also for the lactaids maybe? I can hook my cooler pack to my waist pack, but it's a bit awkward so I prefer taking the backpack, but then I'm never really taking a small amount of cold stuff, it's always a whole lot or nothing.

#4 ·
My kids are 9, 3, and 2 and I don't typically carry a diaper bag and haven't for most of my parenting. My suggestion is get one smallish cute bag that you really like that can be used in many situations.

My car is sort of my "diaper bag". I keep one bag loaded in the car with: diapers, wipes, extra change of clothes for all. Also in the car I keep a small tub of ready-to go snacks (ones that don't need to be kept cold). And, I keep another small tub of car activities or things to do to keep busy (like in a restaurant). In the summer we also have sunscreen, sand toys, towels, and swimsuits in case we stop at fountains or a park. In winter we often have extra blankets and towels (to dry off after a wet park play). I also keep my stroller and usually an Ergo in there.

So, I have pretty much everything I would need in the car and when I need to I can load a small bag with what I need for the situation.

In many situations, I would rather go back to the car to do a diaper or clothes change so I don't typically carry anything in to the library or a gymnastics class.

The exception being some places like the zoo where it's quite a walk back to the parking lot. Then, I load a small bag of what I'll need just for that occasion. For the zoo I'll take snacks, water bottle, 2 diapers and wipes and sunscreen (if we are blessed with sun). If I am taking a stroller my small bag will fit on it.

As for a cell phone, it goes in my pocket along with my keys and any cash/credit card I need. I keep my planner in the car as I don't really ever get to use it when kids aren't buckled in.

Good luck finding a system that works for you.

#5 ·
Right around when I had my 3rd, I realized that Iwas *never* going to find that elusive, perfect diaper bag! I knew what I wanted, but couldn't ever find it. I switched to a system of smaller bags with specific purposes (Built Bags for snacks/lunches on the go, a smaller tote bag for diaper change, wipes, and change of undies for the transitional potty learner, etc) Now, I've got 5 or 6 bags that are used for specific purposes. We've got a larger duffle bag in my van with a change of clothes for each of the 4 boys, along with a change of shirt for me. I've got a few built bags for packing snacks/lunches. I've got my main bag/purse, currently a small canvas one that is large enough to hold my calendar/planner, wallet, little first aid kit, sunglasses and phone. I've got a tote bag (LL Bean one, small size) with extra diapers and wipes in the car. Bigwater bottle has a crocheted holder with long strap (so Ican wear it across my chest ifneeded) and each of the kids has a smaller water bottle with holder - when we go on outings they each hold thier own bottle (or it gets dumped on thestroller that no one actually sits in anymore, but gets taken for "storage" LOL!) When we're going on BIG outings likethe zoo, etc, I'll put the smaller totes into a larger backpack so they're easy to carry, but not just everything dumped in the bag so Ihave to dig for it all. It stays organized int he backpack in the smaller bags

#6 ·
That doesn't seem like too much stuff to me. Maybe you just need a different shaped bag that packs it in more efficiently.

My only thought is that with a 22 month old, perhaps you can skip the lact aid when out and about. I am note familiar with it, so i can't really say. But my 20 month old can be easily distracted with "real food" at this point. So I would probably try to ditch that as coolers take up a lot of space.

#7 ·
I'm not a purse mama myself but after much trial and error I've found something that works for us.

I use a Timbuk2 medium size messenger bag (it's actually a small-ish purse size) that fits my planner, wallet, diaper/wipes case, cell phone, small water bottle, teether toys, snacks.

I keep a bag in the car with change of clothes for both girls and extra diapers.

If we're going to be somewhere like the zoo I'll leave my planner in the car and just take the essentials.
For activities, how about a small bag/storage container that gets left in the car with "car toys" that can be taken into gymnastics, used while waiting, etc.
We do this with DD, she has a basket with toys that get left in the car that way they're "new" to her when we need a little distraction.

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The cooler I use is really more of an insulated lunch bag. It does take up some space, but it does need to go with us. If my other kids are any indicator, he'll let the LA go completely by three and nurse without out it at that point...and number 4 will be here. So, I have to plan on having LAs with us for a while yet. I may see about fitting a smaller water bottle into a bag, though and saving the big water bottle for longer trips out. We could leave it out in the van and refill. I might even sew a carrier for it and have one of the kids carry it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.