How large is your laundry area/room? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How large is your laundry area/room?
w/d are in a room which is primarily for another function (e.g., kitchen) 12 14.12%
w/d in a hallway or dedicated closet 32 37.65%
w/d 7 8.24%
50-100 square feet 16 18.82%
101-150 sf 5 5.88%
no laundry at home 4 4.71%
other 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted w/d in a dedicated closet but they are actually in 2 closets. The washer is in one small closet that used to be a linen closet and the dryer is across the hall in a larger storage closet. The "dryer" closet still has some storage room in it. It is a little strange in that you cannot quite throw the clothes from the washer into the dryer but I have trained my sons to help me and they run the clothes from the washer to the dryer
PS There was originally a dedicated laundry room off the kitchen but the house was remodeled and the kitchen enlarged and the laundry room eliminated.
#32 of 35 Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 PM

i chose other. not really sure of the size, but it's pretty large. we keep our washer/dryer outside on a large covered patio (separate from the patio we use for sitting). we also keep our hampers out there, a drying rack, a clothesline, my daughter's diaper pail and our weight bench and weights.

in southern california you can do (and hang) your laundry outside year round and i love that it frees up space in the house.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#33 of 35 Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneBlossom View Post
Sunny - that's a lovely wall color for the painting you have there!
Thank you!

That's the third color for that room. It was hard to get it right, but I was specifically going for a color that worked with that painting and two others in the living room of similar scenes. This "cranberry splash" color is repeated in little accents throughout the downstairs.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#34 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 AM

Our laundry is in the "mudroom" area. The back door opens into this shed-like probably 8'x 15' room. We have a shoe rack and coat rack immediately inside, the washer and dryer and a built in bench with storage (which rarely get accessed because we dump all our junk on top!). We also keep the dog dishes there, and the cat food and water on top of the dryer (dog proof).

Our house is wacky in that this mudroom opens into the kitchen, but also to the split-level addition that contains our downstairs family room and the upstairs "master suite." So, if the laundry machines are running (we cloth diaper, so they're running every other day at least), it's pretty much a ruckus unless you're hanging out way up front. And really, who hangs out in the dining room or the guest bedroom? We use the subtitle feature on DVDs a lot because the laundry can get so darn loud. It's a pain, but I'm grateful to have laundry at home, after years of apartment living and using the laundromat.

I FANTASIZE about a laundry room with a door that closes it off from the rest of the house, storage cabinets, space to hang, a folding table and having an ironing board set up at all times. FANTASIZE, people. It's sad.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#35 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 AM

I put other because I wasn't sure how a laundry in the basement should be counted. We do use the unfinished basement for a few other activities but it is mostly for laundry.

However, we are building a house soon and the laundry will be a dedicated room between the mudroom and the kitchen. I will have a sliding door that goes directly out to and area with an overhang where I can hang laundry year round for drying : The laundry room will be about 170 sq. ft.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page