How large is your laundry area/room? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How large is your laundry area/room?
w/d are in a room which is primarily for another function (e.g., kitchen) 12 14.12%
w/d in a hallway or dedicated closet 32 37.65%
w/d 7 8.24%
50-100 square feet 16 18.82%
101-150 sf 5 5.88%
no laundry at home 4 4.71%
other 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saw some pics here of great laundry rooms, some of which are large enough to serve several functions. Just wondering how much space y'all have to work in for laundry purposes.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM

I don't know the square footage but ours is big enough for a large chest freezer, a spare fridge, the washer and dryer and a cabinet and I still have plenty of room.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM

I wasn't sure how to answer the poll, my laundry room is under 16ft^2, it acts as a pass through from the kitchen to the garage also, so all that space isn't really usable -just a spot for either a washer or kitchen door, or garage or dryer door to open and close.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM

We had a second floor laundry room put into our (1922-era) house last year. We had a small room next to the bathroom that wasn't good for much, so we had plumbing put in, and there are some storage units in there that we plan to swap out someday. I love having laundry on the second floor! The room is about 7' x 10'. There's room for the washer and dryer, plus a clothes rack for hanging things, plus shelves that house about 10 large plastic storage boxes, for off-season clothes, etc.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I screwed up the poll when I wanted to add more options. I'm waiting for help from the questions board.

A pass-through would be a hallway, I would think...

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
A pass-through would be a hallway, I would think...
ok, I'll answer that, I didn't think of it as a hallway I guess because the doors open into it, more like a room, but it's definitely not much of a room!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM

I chose "w/d in a designated hallway/closet", as it was closest.

We have a slightly oversize galley-style kitchen. The fridge and stove are on one side, with the sink at the end (under the window) and the counter-length running up the side across from the fridge and stove. (If dh is standing at the stove, and I've got my back to him at the counter, we just fit - but not right now, because I'm pregnant, so we're crowded.) Our small deep freeze is on the other side of the counter...and the washer and dryer are under the window. So, they're along the same wall as the kitchen sink, but the kitchen cupboards and counter are between them, forming a sort of wall. It's not exactly a hallway, but that's the closest I can think of, as it's not a room, either.

There isn't much space - more without the freezer, but we need the freezer. The front door is right beside it, so the far wall - across from the freezer - has our coat hooks on it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM

i chose "hallway or closet" the hosue we are in now has a tint little hallway between the livingroom/kitchen hallway and the bathroom. this maybe 5 foot by 4 foot area is where our laundry room is. its a VERY tight space. it always ends up cluttered because there is nowhere for anything to go..

BUT.. we are moving. and the new house has its own laundry space. its still a hallway, but it is kind of the corner of a V shaped house, so there is quite a bit of space, lots of counter area and storage and shelves. im really excited to have a usable laundry area.. it will be shared, kind of with the landlady who uses it as an entrance to a room that she keeps to herself, but there is just extra house stuff in some of the cupboards so if i get it all organised it should be plenty of space for a cold storage and pantry as well as laundry room.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Ours is about 100 sq ft with cabinets, shelves, counter space and an additional storage alcove.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 05-19-2009, 05:06 PM

I think mine is about 100 sq ft. I have a washer (no dryer by choice, but there is room), three shelf units, and two smaller cabinets. It doubles as my food pantry and currently the cleaning supplies live there too, but I may move things around between the lanundry and hall closet.

I added a door so it opens to the backyard now. Makes a nice difference for someone who line dries everything! Plus the door has a screen window in it to open and shut for ventilation, and let in natural light.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM

We call ours "The Back Porch" or "The Laundry Room".

It was added on years and years ago- the old old siding is visible still!

It's probably 8x10 or smaller.

You walk through the backdoor, and then straight through another door and you're in the kitchen. So it's a porch of sorts.

The washer and dryer are on one side and there is room for a dog food tub, some laundry baskets and that's about it. Not cramped, but definitely no room for anything snazzy like a folding table or ironing board.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine is just under 100 square feet, though part of it is a half bath. There's room for my front loading washer and my dryer stacked, my 2nd top loading washer which is used primarily for my business, a deep sink, a ~4 foot long workbench (also used for my business) with a mini-fridge under it.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM

I'm bad with measurements, but ours is small. It fits our washer, dryer, and the pet food/water bowls. It's not a closet, though.

I must say, I love having a designated laundry area, even if it's small. Our washer/dryer used to be in the yucky basement.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM

It's about 80 square feet.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Mine is in a closet, washer and dryer stacked on top of one another. Yea, I live in a condo, lol.

The good thing about this is that it forces me to fold and put away the clothes right away.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 PM

I would guess mine is 50-100 sf. It's more narrow than I would like but it is long. There are shelves over the w/d and a sink with a counter against one wall. I have plenty of room for laundry baskets, the iron can stay out if I need it to, the drying rack is usually out, the vacuum is often in there, and our diaper pail is in there.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our laundry room is about 200sq feet...... wait before you get envious let me tell you what takes up the majority of that room............... a wood stove. Yup our home long ago use to be a vacation home that was mostly heated by wood and the wood stove is in the laundry room with a fan motor thing (no longer works) that heated the home. We also have a chest freezer going in that room.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Maybe 3 feet by 3 feet? It's a closet with just enough room for a stackable washer/dryer. I love that it's right off our living room and kitchen. Makes it a breeze to keep an eye on dinner and fold up clothes.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
I must say, I love having a designated laundry area, even if it's small. Our washer/dryer used to be in the yucky basement.
The basement thing is a PITA...but I almost wish we had that. We'll be laundering cloth diapers again soon, and having your laundry area right off the kitchen isn't always a good thing.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM

I voted other ... mine is about 5feet wide x 12 feet long I'd say. It has doors at either end, but isn't really a hallway (hence the other) as it's not a general passage way... the external door goes to the side yard where the clothesline is It has a laundry sink, room for the washer, and a ginormous linen/broom closet that is about 6ft long and probably 2ish ft deep. There is plenty of room to pass through, as well as have laundry hampers along the wall.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 PM

Ours is probably 6x10, it has the washer, dryer, a big sink (which we never use), the central air, furnace, and hot water heater. There's room for an ironing board, but barely. We also keep the cat box in there.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM

We have a closet/alcove in the hall outside our bedrooms that is just big enough for the washer & dryer and has a small cabinet above them. The previous owners didn't even have a door across it, but we did put folding doors up because my machines aren't as nice as theirs were and I wanted them hidden.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Ours is giant- probably about 25x15. The floor is tile. There's a bathroom off of it as well. I love it- it's totally uncharactaristic for a 70's house. We have a mini fridge in there for the boys to run in and get drinks when they've been playing outside so they don't track mud all over the house. The dogs stay in there when they're muddy- we have a walk through baby gate up at the doorway.

Eventually I plan to have dh build "lockers" for the boys school bags and coats in there since it's the room we walk through to leave the house.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
29 years old and never had a washer LOL I just take it to work with me, fold it there and hang when I get home.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 AM

I don't really know how to describe our laundry area, so let me make a link to an older photo of it. The part in the foreground is basically a half bathroom with a toilet and sink (which you can't see in the picture), and then a sort of doorway without a door, that leads right into the area with the washer and dryer. They're side by side and they have a shelf overhead that holds detergent, a spray bottle for cleaning, a basket with doo dads like vacuum attachments and manuals and such, and our downstairs washcloths. It's not crowded or anything, and we don't need any more space. I do our folding and sorting on our bed, since our family closet is in the master bedroom.

ETA: The space I don't have a problem with but the decor definitely needs work. It's linoleum and formica and ugly wallpaper border. Ugh. The rest of the house was lovely when we moved in, we didn't have to change much, but I guess people just forgot about the downstairs bath... It seems out of step with the rest of the house.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Having just moved into our new home, I am still trying to get used to the large laundry room. The washer, dryer, and utility sink take up only a small portion of the room. The remaining floorspace is empty. We also have a wall of closets and drawers. One of the three closets is partially filled with our holiday decorations, luggage, and memory "stuff." The remaining storage space is empty.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 AM

Ours is a somewhat unique arrangement. It used to be one way and before we even moved in, we made changes and then we made changes again later on.

Let's see if I can describe it...
Our laundry area and powder room are behind one door now with no doors in between them. This combined "room" is between our living room and kitchen. From the hallway, you walk through a single working door. On the left, the dryer, then the washer...with three cabinets (that match our kitchen) above them. The one above the washer is used for laundry (bottom) and bulk cleaning supplies, as in gallon of vinegar and 10-pound container of baking soda (upper). The one above the dryer and in the middle are used for towels and rags on the bottom shelf, the footbath and rubbermaid box of lightbulbs and tissue on the middle shelf and pillow forms (sewing supplies) on the top, which I cannot reach without a stepstool, but can easily see once I open the cabinet doors. On the right is the wall that hides the furnace, then the hot water heater, which are behind separate cupboard doors and both sit about two feet off the ground. You don't see this, though. You just see a wall. There is no floor space for anything in the laundry area. If you keep walking, you pass under an arched doorway (used to be ridiculously narrow double doors) into the powder room. The sink is on the left with a cabinet underneath and a mirror above. The toilet is on the right with a small wall cabinet we hung above. The toilet is set back, as is the sink, so you don't actually SEE either one if you are just walking by from the LR to the kitchen (or vice versa). There is no floor space for anything in this entire "room", but one can walk through easily now that we altered the door situation.

Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM

Sunny - that's a lovely wall color for the painting you have there!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM

About 80 sq ft? It's just a laundry room (I'm not a mutli-purpose fan), right off the family room.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM

The entire basement. I don't know what the square footage is.
I would like to have it on the main level but there isn't room.

In a previous home the laundry was in the large bathroom. It didn't make the bathroom look better but it was handy in some ways.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List