What To Do Wioth 500 Stuffies You Can't Get Rid Of!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have purged all the stuffed animals that won't hurt anybody's feelings if they're gone but am still left with about 50 of the darn things! As much as I would love to have a stuffed animal bonfire, I am wondering what other parents have done as creative storage for those beloved stuffed animals.

I have a few special ones out and then the rest in a plastic garbage bag in the closet. Honestly, they even bother me when they're in the closet b/c they just take up valuable space

Oh look at that, a type-o in my title and I can't edit it out!
#2 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 PM

We have a pop up laundry hamper in the kids' play area to hold them all (3 girls here so I feel your pain!)
#3 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Seriously, how do you think the giver would feel to know they're in a garbage bag in the closet, unplayed with and unloved? How is that better than in the trash? Will the giver(s) actually check, do you remember who gave what and put it out when they come over?

I would just trash them and not worry about it. IF you're ever asked, and I doubt it will happen, you can say honestly that you don't know where it is. If the kids did love it and play with it once upon a time, you can say that the kids really loved it to death, or that it's gone missing. Your time and care are worth more than keeping track of stuffed animals IMO. The only one I know who asks about possessions given is my parents, and they're really manipulative about stuff.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Back in the 90's there were things invented called "Pet Nets" that was a triangular mesh net that hung in the corner of a room and all the stuffies were piled decoratively on it. Then you could see them and choose some to play with but they were out of the way between times. Maybe you could find or make one of those.

You can still get them at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Stuffed-Animal.../dp/B000R9XNHG

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#5 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Oh, I feel your pain. Yeah, we have over 100 Webkinz here and close to 30 Build A Bear animals- plus all of the other "special" stuffies that have made their way into our home. The nets are a neat idea, but don't hold enough, IMO. We're doing large wicker baskets at the present, but they take up too much floor space. I was thinking of shelving all around the top of the room- but was wondering if they would stay up there or if we would constantly be picking up ones that jumped off and went AWOL, kwim?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#6 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 02:34 PM

to edit your title, click on "edit" and then "go advanced"

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#7 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 PM

In a few years I anticipate the same problem (DD is only two and we have a toy chest full) and then we will get a beanbag chair cover and stuff it with them. They have ones with mesh windows made specifically for stuffed animals, but I can't find the link.
#8 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 PM

My DD has one wooden toybox filled with stuffed animals, one shelf in her closet filled with them and I finally found a great solution for her little stuffed animals (Webkinz, Shining Starz and similarly sized toys), canvas over-the-door shoe racks. Sort of like this: shoe holder
We got some at Target that were very cute (brown with pink flowers) but I can't find them online. One fits nicely over the back of her door, and another got nailed to the wall behind the door. That tends to be wasted space in our house anyway, so it was perfect for stuffed animal storage.

Before that, DD lined her small stuffed toys up on these mini-shelves on her wall. They were left here by the previous owners, so I'm not sure where to get them, but I think Home Depot and places like that would be the best. The shelves were designed to hold picture frames, only a couple of inches out from the wall (perhaps 3 or 4 inches), and I imagine there are plenty of items at a hardware store that could pass for something like that and be very inexpensive.
#9 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 08:34 PM

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/200...animalbag.html
Or I guess you could go the cheap route and buy a bean bag cover to shove the animals in =D lands end has one on sale for 9.99
http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeanBagCo...IQ-_-data_feed

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#10 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 PM

I'd put them on the wall. If they'll be played with, the shoe holder or net idea would be great, or maybe some mountable wall cubbies. If you just want them out, how about a high shelf around the room with them all on display?

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#11 of 28 Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've seen the string hammock thing done before - same as the net, but should you happen to have a spare hammock lying round the house... well, you probably have bigger decluttering issues than stuffed toys in that case, but hey.

The bean bag thing is a cute idea! Am taking notes... DD's stuffed toys have been pared down to the minimum and currently fit on a shelf, but she never actually plays with them.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#12 of 28 Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 AM

When my mom was overwhelmed by stuffed animals, she let us all pick out 2-3 animals to keep. The rest were gotten rid of. I'm not one to keep an item just because someone gave it to me or my child. It annoys my in-laws who are under the impression that you have keep EVERYTHING, including the random junk they pass on because they don't want to get rid of it. My MIL gets upset when I throw away expired milk and food products she brings over. Anyway, I don't see a point in trying to please people who over every now and then, when the people who live here are overwhelmed by too much stuff.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#13 of 28 Old 05-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremco View Post
When my mom was overwhelmed by stuffed animals, she let us all pick out 2-3 animals to keep. The rest were gotten rid of.

That sounds horrible and sad to me. I would never force my children to get rid of beloved toys, though I do ask them to see if they can pare down every once in a while, that way, it is their decision and the toys they are giving away (or selling in a garage sale) are ones they are truly done with, not something they will miss and be sad over.
#14 of 28 Old 05-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
That sounds horrible and sad to me. I would never force my children to get rid of beloved toys, though I do ask them to see if they can pare down every once in a while, that way, it is their decision and the toys they are giving away (or selling in a garage sale) are ones they are truly done with, not something they will miss and be sad over.
I get rid of lots of stuffed animals, DD is involved in choosing them, but DS is too young. I don't get rid of any he seems to like, of course. I keep it to one cubby of the living room bookshelf for smaller stuffed animals they use like figurines; on top of DS' dresser, and on DDs bed. When it starts to get overwhelming, I ask DD which she wants to keep and which to declutter. After a big declutter of toys "that you don't play with much anymore but someone else might like to play with now," we choose 1-2 things she'd really like to have (a doctor coat for dress up and some toy milk and and juice bottles--not baby bottles, regular jugs--for the toy kitchen).

There's a giant stuffed dog that I HATE but DD loves it, so it lives at the end of her bed. Most of the time the ones I hate or find creepy she does too, so it's not a big deal.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#15 of 28 Old 05-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That sounds horrible and sad to me. I would never force my children to get rid of beloved toys, though I do ask them to see if they can pare down every once in a while, that way, it is their decision and the toys they are giving away (or selling in a garage sale) are ones they are truly done with, not something they will miss and be sad over
I agree. While I DO make my girls part with other toys that they honestly aren't playing with much, I don't ever force them to give up stuffed animals. They develop emotional attachments to their stuffies, and while I as an adult know that they are "just" toys, my children feel differently. With regular toys, they do understand that we just can't hang onto everything, and I do force them to make choices about what stays/goes with that stuff.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#16 of 28 Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Whose feelings are you trying to protect? I would just donate the toys.
#17 of 28 Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it your child who wants to keep them? Or are you worried about other people?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#18 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
We never missed them though. At first we didn't want to pick just a few, but once we thought about it, we were able to pick the ones that were really special and not hold onto all of the stuffed animals just because we could.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#19 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 AM

If they are in a garbage bag and your kids have not asked for them, they obviously don't miss them.

I think it would be nice to donate them if you do not want them around and your children do not use them. There are a lot of children at child crises centers etc. that would really love to have a stuffy to sleep with or play with.

My mom surely gave away 99% of my toys (seeing that I no longer have them as an adult ) and I never felt sad about it. She saved a handful of special and sentimental toys but the rest were all passed along.
#20 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
She never said they were beloved.

Personally I think stuffed animals are evil Seriously, they manipulate emotions - they gather dust but people are too guilty to get rid of them.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#21 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Why on earth does any kid need 50 stuffed animals? Is it seriously possible for a child to have a long-lasting emotional attachment to that many? (I'm honestly asking, as the mom of 4 boys, only one of which has any attachment to a stuffed animal, even it's only one in particular)
#22 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Why on earth does any kid need 50 stuffed animals? Is it seriously possible for a child to have a long-lasting emotional attachment to that many? (I'm honestly asking, as the mom of 4 boys, only one of which has any attachment to a stuffed animal, even it's only one in particular)
As for "need", nope, no kid needs that many. Emotional attachment to that many? Oh, I wish it wasn't possible Seriously, my girls can tell you where each of their 108 Webkinz came from- if it was a gift, who gave it to them, how long they've had it, etc. They name every single one and it can take a couple days to pick just the right name. They play all sorts of games and act out stories with the little things. They panic when any of them are MIA. As a child, I was attached to my stuffed animals and dolls- I was an only child and very imaginative, so I imagine they took the place of a sibling in a lot of ways.

My girls have a lot of other toys- My Little Pony stuff, video game equipment, Barbie, tons of craft supplies- and honestly, they aren't emotionally attached to that stuff. But there's something about their stuffed animals.....

#23 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguk View Post
I have a few special ones out and then the rest in a plastic garbage bag in the closet. Honestly, they even bother me when they're in the closet b/c they just take up valuable space
But can't you hear the ones in the closet screaming to be let out of the bag?!?!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

I did a purge of my, yes my, stuffed animals from childhood a year or so ago. (I am 38 years old, WTH?)

When I finally was able to let go of some of them, I boxed them up and sealed the box with tape, I couldn't stand looking at the bag.

Anyway, I took the boxes to our office to put in the dumpster (our dumpster that we pay for - not someone elses) and for reasons I can't explain, my DH saw, openned the boxes and brought them back into the office!

I took them back to the dumpster again and wouldn't you know it, one of our employees saw them, took that out of the dumpster AGAIN and carried them back to me.

He just could not believe I was throwing them out. Mind you, these animals were 30+ years old and WELL loved - gross, old, matted fur.

He took them home. Better his house than mine...

I second the pop up laundry hanger idea. We have a small one and it works well for DS.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#24 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 03:27 PM

I went to a training years ago on children's health. The crap they got off even supposedly new stuffies made me want to vomit. They are mostly verboten in our home...They can stay if they can be in the washer. often in the washer. really often. Dd has two. Any others go straight to donation...
#25 of 28 Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Maybe try taking pictures of the stuffed animals and write on the back of the photo who gave it and what not (a story or something)? And then put the pictures in a book? Or take the pics with the little one that ownes it and have then help create the picture book? That way, you are creating a new memory while minimizing the amount of "stuff" you have.

I have 2 stuffed animals from when I was a child. They were the ones that I held and cried to when my parents did not know how to help (or did not care to). So, I keep those. Yes, they are in a closet, but I do like to pull them out every once and a while and realize how far I have come from those days. I can't remember any other stuffed animals that I had

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#26 of 28 Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM

I hate stuftie clutter. But we have plenty....maybe 15 between the 2. And they are all precious to DD and DS. We've donated tons! ~ Like the giant strawberry shortcake doll that my mil got DD (When DD was born she told me she & fil decided to never buy clothes for our children, they'd rather buy something she needed.....we've NEVER needed a giant strawberry shortcake doll! However,our children grow mighty fast and clothes would be GREAT!)

Anyway, I saw a bookshelf idea in family fun a few weeks ago. Someone repurposed an old bookshelf (small, short, 3 levels) repainted it and applied thick elastic from top to bottom with washers and screws making a stuftie "zoo cage". You can shove as many as you can there and it looked very cute in the corner of a room! Could work!
Similar to this:
http://www.beaverworks.biz/ZooForCart.html
but just with a bookshelf.
#27 of 28 Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My girls love love love their stuffed animals. They are consistently the most played with toys we have. They mostly live in a really big toy box that is devoted soley to stuffies. I would never purge them w/o their approval (and they do participate when it's time to pare down). The toy box works great for us and the kids can go through and get the ones out they want to play with. They definitely know what they have, too, and would miss it if I tried to sneak some out.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#28 of 28 Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Washable ONLY here. It seems everyone around here is allergic to dust mites, and stuffed animals are notorious sources of them. I have a niece too, who was born premature with respiratory effects who also cannot have them.

We just bought their new asthma friendly puppy from build a bear for the new baby. He'll grow up with that one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page