What will you declutter today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a little movtivation here! What do you plan to declutter today? Post anything, big or small. Let me know your plans and when you finish!

I am going to declutter my pots and pan drawers and move the unused stuff down into storage.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM

gonna pack up some dishes, gather some more books for donation, and work on the laundry "situation". LOL
#3 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM

I am going to declutter the flooring samples (8 @ 1 FT x 2FT) by returning them to the design center. I may pick up a few more, though. We've chosen our main flooring, so new samples will just be for the laundry/powder room (behind one door).

I'd also like to declutter the damaged personal property by finishing the paperwork and tossing about a dozen items (recycle, trash, etc).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM

:im going to de-clutter the front porch of all of the bags of stuff that ive been packing up with unwanted, unneeded stuff from the house..& will be dropping it off at the thrift shop.

also planning to declutter the kitchen of the rhubarb upside down cake that i made last night and the organic whipping cream in my fridge, we are having morning tea with my mom who is here to viisit

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM

I am in the middle of clearing my attic/closets/floor/yard space. The garage sale I'm setting up for tomorrow morning is proof that I am ready to clear the slate and only own those things that we really love to have surrounding us. Anything left over will be sent to the thrift store. :

banana.gif

#6 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM

well i'm derailed bc my kiddo is sick i'm working on just laundry and cleaning up the family room instead. aim low. :
#7 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Five hours later and not a bit closer to even having begun my project!

#8 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM

but have you smiled? because that's important too.
#9 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM

I went through all the kids' clothes (including shoes!) and sorted them into a box to take on our 2.5 mo. long vacation and THREE boxes to put in storage (that includes the dress-up stuff and shoes so I don't think it's too terrible-- coats/snowsuits and other bulky winter stuff took up a lot of space.

My next goal is to pack *my* winter clothes for storage and decide what I want to take for the summer. Ugh.

Also, I have two big bags of clothes to donate and will probably have another when I'm done with my clothes!
#10 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM

It was already decluttered, but I just shredded a Target bag full of stuff at work.

Will go through my books when I get home and put some aside to go to church library. I know there's at least one big coffee table book to go.

I have some extra plastic Gladware containers that I bought and didn't use that I'm going to put aside to go in church kitchen (for people to take left-overs home in).

Think I'm going to go through underwear, too, and get rid of the raggedy ones. I recently bought some new ones, but haven't gotten rid of the old stuff yet.

lady.gif
#11 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 PM

I'm nesting, so I think my house is pretty sparse right now. (Hopefully I don't regret emptying out so much!)

But today, I think I will get a paper bag or two and fill them with donation stuff.

- a set of ugly white plastic bowls/lids that have been bugging me in the kitchen
- a few shirts that are too short that I have hung onto
- some pots and pans maybe. I never have enough room, and yet I use the same ones over and over, while other sit unused and take up space.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#12 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I am going to declutter the flooring samples (8 @ 1 FT x 2FT) by returning them to the design center. I may pick up a few more, though. We've chosen our main flooring, so new samples will just be for the laundry/powder room (behind one door).

I'd also like to declutter the damaged personal property by finishing the paperwork and tossing about a dozen items (recycle, trash, etc).
I successfully decluttered the 8 flooring samples! Three new samples are being shipped to me, though.

I haven't gotten to the damaged items, yet.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#13 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM

I filled the back of the van last night with stuff from the garage in the "get rid of" pile.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#14 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM

I did one part of my cleaning closet last night. I am attacking my laundry pile on my sofa today.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#15 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got to my pots and pans while I was preparing dinner last night! Phew!
I also got to my recycling area by the back door. :

Tonights mission is my bedroom. My room is so messy and I realized that I was embarrassed to have my children walk in in the morning to greet us. Gotta whip that room into shape!

#16 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 12:30 PM

I've assembled ALL the clothing in the house into piles in the living room and I'm going to sort what we need to keep/donate/trash.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#17 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 01:40 PM

The master bedroom aka the up-until-today repository of all homeless toys, books, clothes, electronics, etc!!

I am currently on a break from culling stuff out. The sun is out for the first time this week so the kids and I brought it all outside Clean Sweep style while DH is starting to drywall inside. I have multiple bags of varying sizes ready to be pitched and a donate pile getting larger and ready to be boxed.

My fibro will probably kick in tomorrow from all the work, but the big results I already see make it worth it. Bedroom retreat here we come.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#18 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Wow! You gals have been doing good!

I decluttered a LOT more last night than I had planned on. I was actually pondering my decluttering yesterday afternoon at work, so I came home and attacked it!

I have a large tote bag of books for my church's library. Also returning a few books I'd borrowed to a friend. Bunch of office supplies for church - I'm going really minimal. Why do I need a stapler and paper clips at home if I don't use them? Also a bunch of pens - I prefer my nice Cross pen. So that will leave me owning ONE pen, and several Sharpies. If you've ever read about the 100 Thing Challenge, being really minimal is right up my alley.

Bunch of paper cups and napkins for coffee hour at church. Some books and a plastic canister for the thrift store. Some food for the food pantry barrel at church. Shredded the whole bag of stuff at work yesterday on my lunch. Started a new bag for stuff to be shredded, but I'm trying to print out much fewer things from online, etc. Emptied out the junk drawer in the kitchen and only a few things are making it back in!

How are you doing today?

lady.gif
#19 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_M View Post
I've assembled ALL the clothing in the house into piles in the living room and I'm going to sort what we need to keep/donate/trash.
I'm not sure if I'm jealous of you or if I have a crush on you. Awesome plan, mama!

#20 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM

I'm going to declutter my drawer. (Each member of the family has one drawer in the dresser and that is all the clothes we are allowed to have*)

*my military uniforms do not count, naturally.
#21 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Today I went through the girls' art supplies and A's clothes. I put a few things in the trunk to drop off at the thrift store and cleared some odds and ends out of the car while I was there.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#22 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
also planning to declutter the kitchen of the rhubarb upside down cake that i made last night and the organic whipping cream in my fridge, we are having morning tea with my mom who is here to viisit
I will GLADLY help you with that decluttering! YUMMY!!!

I am trying to wrap up all sorts of things, cardboard to recycling, car cleaned of trash, goodwill dropped off (it's sitting on the porch, ick!), and the backyard trash (green waste and gardening miscellany) gotten rid of.

I have the car today, but it's SO hot out, and my motivation is waning!
#23 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Since I hadn't burnt out yet, I moved on to the linen and kids' closets. The bedding was spread out between all 3 places. Now it is all together in one easier to access spot. I also finally found their bathing suits!!

The number of bags I am filling of things that are on their way out is . I am really going to feel this tomorrow.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#24 of 62 Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Got through half of the clothes baskets in my horrible bedroom. That's something...
More tomorrow! However I might still vacuum before bed.

#25 of 62 Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 AM

I cleaned out the fridge and freezer today. We even found a complete meal we could assemble without going to the store. We have a week or two of major flood repairs starting on Monday, so not going to the store is VERY helpful since our kitchen and most of the main level will not be accessible during most of the work.

I still haven't gotten to those personal property items.

#26 of 62 Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm jealous of you or if I have a crush on you. Awesome plan, mama!

Thanks!

I got it all done!!!: It's so nice to have clothes in the closets and in drawers!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#27 of 62 Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm going to be decluttering all the toys that DS has outgrown and/or doesn't play with anymore. I decluttered all his outgrown clothes yesterday!
#28 of 62 Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 PM

My older two just left for two weeks with the exh. Today I am not doing much at home (mom and I are cleaning my sisters house with her. We have a deep cleaning rotation and this week is her week!) but the next two weeks are going to be major for decluttering around these parts.
I will be back!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#29 of 62 Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 AM

Yesterday...We took a load (back of van) to the Salvation Army. Bought a new over-the-range microwave, installed it, and found someone to take the old one for scrap. I cleaned out the pantry. I took a bunch of old T-shirts and cut them up for wipes (something that has been sitting waiting for me to do). I also took pictures of stuff to post on Craigslist/offer free.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#30 of 62 Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM

my biggest problem area right now is right where i'm sitting right now. the nightstand that i repurposed to hold my laptop. and every other bloody thing apparently. it's got two drawers that are filled to bursting that i NEVER open for any reason. and the surface is completely filled with CRAP. so i really really have to declutter it. i wanna tackle that today. i'd like to actually move the nightstand out of the room and replace it with just a tray table so i'm not tempted to put more stuff in it. since it won't have any place to put things in. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page