clothes - starting over after pregancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone gotten started over with new clothes after having a baby? I'm 6 months pregnant and really love very little of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I've thought of getting rid of all but a few basics (and any favorites) during this pregnancy and starting over once I have the baby. I"d love to hear of anyone else's experiences if they've done this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 06:09 PM

I'm trying that this pregnancy, I kept EVERYTHING last time and wore almost none of it, because it didn't fit anymore or it was no longer 'me.' I say go for it, but maybe stash/save money for shopping post baby. Although, not having clothes is a good reason to reach your fitness goals so you can only have to buy new stuff once. That's my plan, anyways!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM

I need to do this because the majority of my pre-pregnancy clothes are plain worn out. However I really dislike clothes shopping and have found it extra difficult with a baby in tow. Now I have a very limited wardrobe that requires me to wash more often than I want to. It was such a relief when I lost enough weight to fit back into some of my older jeans - it meant I had a couple more things to wear! When DD2 is a bit older I'll feel more able to leave her with DH and do a few solo shopping trips.
I say go ahead, but keep your old stuff until after you've bought the replacements.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM

How funny! I say the opposite; I couldn't see what I had/needed with all the old stuff in the way. I didn't toss everything, but a good portion of it. And I honestly don't miss ANY of it!

I feel like if I had kept it, I would keep trying to fit it post-pregnancy (like I did the first time) even though everything was too small, too young, and my style has evolved. My clothes were holding back my growth and self-image.

I'm excited to go postpartum shopping!:
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Hmmm... This sounds like a great idea! I just had my baby a month ago, and there are sooo many items in my closet that I haven't worn since pre-first child, four years ago! They are just taking up space, and I know that they will never fit again, body-wise or style-wise.

Maybe I will start the massive decluttering ahead of me in my own closet. I don't have the money to do much shopping, but that's okay because there are plenty of items in my closet that I *do* like; they are just buried under crap I never wear!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM

I should really do this.

My son is 20 months old and I still have clothes that I haven't worn PP. WHY are they still in my closet? WHYYYYYY?

Because I still hope that someday I will be able to fit in them. But now we are TTC #2 so that someday is going to be a long time away. So I should just let them go, shouldn't I?

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
I should really do this.

My son is 20 months old and I still have clothes that I haven't worn PP. WHY are they still in my closet? WHYYYYYY?

Because I still hope that someday I will be able to fit in them. But now we are TTC #2 so that someday is going to be a long time away. So I should just let them go, shouldn't I?
Just let them go. This weekend I'm having a yard sale to sell some old stuff, so I can buy a couple of new clothing items.

Yesterday I tried on 2 pairs of capris, which I liked and ended up not buying because the fit wasn't quite right. I'm 6 weeks post-partum and I'm trying to get out of my maternity jeans . I should be given the okay today from my midwife and the doctor tomorrow, to start exercising again.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM

I did that after DS was born and will probably do it again after this one is born. A lot of my old clothes didn't fit me the same post partum, plus I found my style changed quite a bit. I still have some old things in my closet though that I am hoping will someday fit again... seeing DS is now 2 I should probably just let them go.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellieC View Post
Has anyone gotten started over with new clothes after having a baby? I'm 6 months pregnant and really love very little of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I've thought of getting rid of all but a few basics (and any favorites) during this pregnancy and starting over once I have the baby. I"d love to hear of anyone else's experiences if they've done this.
I did this.

It really started during pregnancy. I don't like to shop yet I needed clothing.

I worked in banking at the time so I couldn't buy junky stuff. That forced me to buy what I needed, what I liked and more often than not, buy regardless (within reason) of cost.

Most came from Lands End and Target's Liz Lange line so we aren't talking huge $s but for the first time, I allowed myself to buy things that weren't on the clearance rack.

I ended up with an awesome maternity wardrode and I felt fantastic. It wasn't that I had a lot of clothing but what I did have mixed and matched and was stylish. I felt good about my appearance for the first time in a very long time and being pregnant, that is saying something!

Post pregnancy, I started buying smarter. I put more thought into purchases. I remember buying pants at a certain store. I liked the black pair so much, I bought the same in charcoal grey. They worked for my day job as well as weekend wear. I bought two tops that matched, resulting in four outfits.

I have been doing really good with buying only what I like and ignoring (again, within reason) the cost. I know I am spending less money and enjoying what I have much more. I actually like getting dressed now.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM

I kept most of my pre-preg stuff and 8 months later, I still haven't worn any of it. I kept my jeans b/c they will be a good judge of, "yay, I'm back in my jeans!" but it's pointless b/c they were so low rise I doubt I'll ever wear them again.

I feel the same about almost all my pre-preg clothes -- they're just not "me" anymore. A lot of them feel too young.

I say ditch the clothes you don't care about and maybe keep a few pieces you really love, and then revisit this once you can fit into them again. You don't have to make the whole decision at once.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Just save your favorites. I moved shortly after having my baby so i got rid of a lot of clothes. Even then, I still had a bunch of clothes that didn't fit or was just a little too worn out for my liking. Now I'm pregnant with 2nd, and this time i'm purging as I go...as I grow out of things or the weather changes, i'm just getting rid of it. Our house is too small to keep tons of clothing around that I MIGHT wear again. I actually ended up being much small after having my baby because of BFing, I guess. I only buy sale items anyway, so I might as well just start fresh.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM

This is what I am planning on doing. I have purchased most of my clothing from consignment or thrift stores, so I'm not out that much financially. I get what fits & looks great on my body & I shop every few months. My mom even commented (nicely) on a shirt I was wearing tonight & I told her I bought it at a local thrift shop. She was surprised.

I also lost tons of weight after my 2nd child was born, so half of my clothing didn't fit me at all. I hope that happens after my 3rd is born

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

User Tag List