Would you live in a 750 sq ft house with 4+ people???? **Update post #26** - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ikea is great, and look up online suppliers for RV items. Great space saving ideas & multi-funtion items as well. Try to use your imagination and don't start with a preconceived idea of how a home "should" look and work. Doing things unconventionally is usually a must in a small home situation. Biggest help though is going to be getting rid of unnecessary stuff, and re-examining what you feel is necessary right now. Take a look at (literally) every item you pack and ask if it is worth the space it is going to take up. Trust me - most of the stuff won't make the cut. Then you're off to your new home with much less to find a space for.

Congrats on the new house! :
#32 of 40 Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This book was recommended in the other thread. check it out.

Little house on a small planet : simple homes, cozy retreats, and energy
efficient possibilities / by Shay Salomon

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#33 of 40 Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Wen live in an 860sqft house, 3bed/2 bath, but pretty small living kitchen. We have about an acre also. We love it, but could still do some organizing. And we may even have a couple more kids!

I love small houses!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#34 of 40 Old 06-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I love how MDC can have 2 totally different sides, perfect for questions like this. So, we debated the pro's and con's, the in's and the outs and we measured, measured, measured! So, last week we put in an offer and yesterday we signed the counter! We may be in escrow some time today :.

On our reinspection/measuring trip we realized a few thing, there IS room for a small crib in our room, and there is unfinished attic space! We think we may just go ahead and finish it and make it into a playroom for the girls!

So now I need something else from you guys, inspiration! Does anyone have any great links for small house living? I especially love picks of peoples own houses, they have such real usable information. So far we plan to put in some built in book cases, bunkbeds, and simplify, but other then that we are pretty stumped.
We have 4 people in 600 sf.
My biggest help has been radically minimalizing the kitchen stuff, so kitchen cabinets and space can serve multiple functions. Have only a few plates, bowls, cups, etc for each person. Get rid of unneeded skillets and pots etc. Then you can use your cabinets for other purposes.
Think often about how to rearrange to better use your spaces. You might have to re-organize several times before you come up with space solutions that really work.
#35 of 40 Old 06-21-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
We have 4 people in 600 sf.
My biggest help has been radically minimalizing the kitchen stuff, so kitchen cabinets and space can serve multiple functions. Have only a few plates, bowls, cups, etc for each person. Get rid of unneeded skillets and pots etc. Then you can use your cabinets for other purposes.
Think often about how to rearrange to better use your spaces. You might have to re-organize several times before you come up with space solutions that really work.

I agree! It took me over 3 years to come up with something that really works for me
#36 of 40 Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I love how MDC can have 2 totally different sides, perfect for questions like this. So, we debated the pro's and con's, the in's and the outs and we measured, measured, measured! So, last week we put in an offer and yesterday we signed the counter! We may be in escrow some time today :.

On our reinspection/measuring trip we realized a few thing, there IS room for a small crib in our room, and there is unfinished attic space! We think we may just go ahead and finish it and make it into a playroom for the girls!

So now I need something else from you guys, inspiration! Does anyone have any great links for small house living? I especially love picks of peoples own houses, they have such real usable information. So far we plan to put in some built in book cases, bunkbeds, and simplify, but other then that we are pretty stumped.

Congratulations!

I would even go for something that small to get out of this place... The apartment ist nice, but the neighbors suck

Check out IKEA. They have sooo many ideas for saving space in every room it's just crazy!
#37 of 40 Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

We lived in a 650 sq foot house in England with 2 kids, one dog and one cat. I hated it. It was soooooooooooo small. I think one of the reasons I didn't like it was b/c it was always raining and we were stuck inside all the time. Also- we didn't have an acre to play on.

Sounds like your house and land has real potential, though! Good luck and have fun!
#38 of 40 Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Congrats on your new house!

My dh and I have a 2700 sq ft 4 bedroom, 2 full bath, 2 half bath home on 5 acres. We have 4 kids and sometimes feel cramped. I love the *idea* of a small house, but I am simply not organized enough, lol. I need to get rid of half of our belongings as it is and this thread just inspired me!

We have a MIL house next to ours, and it is 900 sq ft for one person. Totally open floor plan w/one room that is separate (bathroom/laundry room/closet). She is in a nursing home recovering from a fall right now. My dh and I were over there rearranging the furniture yesterday and I was telling him about some of these tiny house threads on MDC. He couldn't believe it. Now I have to tell him about the family who lives in a 480 sq ft home w/5 kids!

I would love to have the utility bills some of you living in tiny houses must have! Ours are ridiculous, esp. in the summer.

OP, enjoy your new space and have fun organizing and simplifying!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#39 of 40 Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Congratulations!!

Check out Delight's flickr sets for small house inspiration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7600025082938/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594536779330/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7613177282341/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594309114341/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594449182329/

And definitely check out IKEA! There is one in W. Sac, one in Emeryville, and one in E. Palo Alto, so depending on where in N. CA you are, one is not too far off!
#40 of 40 Old 07-08-2009, 02:57 AM

Yeah, you!

We're planning to build a tiny house in a few years, and we're planning more babies. So, we'll easily have 5 or 6 kids in a little house.

I agree that it's all in the storage, and the simplifying. In the house we plan to build, we won't have any living room furniture. We'll have large windows with window seats, and all around the main room will be shelves and cabinets. Somehow (still thinking it through, dh is woodworker so we have options), the cabinets will mostly look like regular walls, so we can still hang pictures, etc and it won't feel like we're in a workroom all the time. The neat thing is that I can have a section for various projects, and no furniture blocking the cabinet that they are in. So, I can just open large doors and reveal my sewing table and shelves containing baskets of my sewing supplies. When I need to stop for the day, I don't have to put anything away. I just close the doors. Tada! The room **** looks clean! I have plenty of space to store everything because the whole room is that way. I don't know if that made sense, but I'm very excited about it!

Enjoy your new house!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page