Minimalists...a question about kid clothes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am minimalist in every aspect of my life except closets.

see i made an agreement w/ dh that he can have his closet, fill it, dump in it whatever.

but i noticed the other day that dd's closet is more like her dad's than mine. must be genetic.

i have
two pairs of jogging shorts
one pair of denim shorts
two frumpy nursing tops
one yoga nursing top
one skirt
one nursing dress
one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of sandals
one swimsuit

so obviously you'd think i could do this w/ dd. not so. in part thanks to the grandmas. and thrift stores. and target clearance. and ebay.

she has 6 or 7 swimsuits. i don't know how many actually. she's worn 4 so far.

and probably 20 or 30 outfits.

only a few dresses surprisingly.

and wayyyy too many shoes. in fact, i just decided today that she doesn't even wear them. i am going to sell them all on ebay.

it's sad. really sad.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#32 of 44 Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 AM

DD has way too many clothes. DS has less, but without actually counting I would guess that he has about 10 different cardies/ jacket type things, some of which were his sister's. I feel sad about getting rid of stuff.

Anyway, I was wondering if all those who say they do three loads of laundry a day have dryers? I line dry, and I do a load a day. When I really, really, really need to get rid of another load because the laundry is "flooding" the bathroom, I might do a second. But I just don't have the option of doing many loads a day, because I don't have a dryer and only have space to hang one load to dry, which takes about a day where I live. When I do a second load, I have laundry hanging to dry on chairs, radiators and so on.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#33 of 44 Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Anyway, I was wondering if all those who say they do three loads of laundry a day have dryers?
Yes I used my dryer.

I hang out big/thick things (blankets, jeans and so forth) and diaper covers, but everything else I dried in the dryer. I often felt guilty about the HUGE amount of water and electricity I waisted when I did that much laundry. Yet another reason to par down the clothes pile.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#34 of 44 Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollineeba View Post
That's really a cute idea
Thank you.

Unfortunately the idea was born out of desperation.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#35 of 44 Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

I am moving next week and will finally be able to have a clothesline (or two!). Do you ladies that use one find it easier, harder, or the same as far as keeping up with laundry?
#36 of 44 Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Bumpity bumpysugarcakes :-p

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#37 of 44 Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Great thread! We probably have too much, especially for DS2 who finds his own ball shirts at garage sales, but once a month we go through almost all there clothes in a few days because they are so messy. It really bothered me at one point, but both their closets and drawers have empty space in them, so it feels okay now. I would say we have these:

DS1 (7)
10 play shirts (tanks, ss, ls)
20 ss shirts (some are faves that will only fit for another month or two and the next size up is in there)
8 ls shirts
15 shorts (I need to work on these)
15 pants (need them for wet days)

DS2 (3yo)
15 ss shirts
8 ls shirts
8 pants
5 shirts

They each have 2 pairs of shoes and one pair of winter boots, rain boots, and crocs.

I get almost everything used and cheap, which is probably part of the problem.
#38 of 44 Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM

la la la la la la!!! I can't hear you!

I never knew a thread could make me feel guilty. I am usually a very simple person, but this clothing thing is rough. Usually for my DD not my DS. I also move stained clothing to the grub category since we have woods, and they work outside with DH and need clothes that can get muddy with "the red clay of Tara" that never comes out. So I have lots of regular clothes and lots of grub clothes.

I sorted the winter stuff the other day to see what they would need. Only a few things for DS. DD still has >20 shirts and 8 sweaters and several sweatshirts,etc.. She hardly wears all the shirts in her dresser. She sticks with 6-7 faves. I try to rotate. They all get handed down again (except the grub) or go to a thrift store, but I always wait til the possiblity of her wearing them is gone. maybe I need to be firmer about culling the lesser faves from the beginning. It is hard to shut the drawer.

I'll think about this tomorrow...
#39 of 44 Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM

I am sitting here feeling really silly because not once did it ever occur to me that I don't have to keep all the hand-me-downs. I mean, duh. We've gotten bags full because we just had a little girl. She's now 2 months old but I have amassed an enormous wardrobe for her--all the way up to 24 months. Clothes bags started pouring in like my house was the Titanic and I've just hit the Clothes Iceberg. My ship is sinking fast just trying to keep up with organizing them and then finding them a place to go. Of COURSE I should just pick the few that I like and send the rest on! I could even try to sell some of them at a consignment store or maybe testing the waters with a consignment sale if I am up for prepping the clothes.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#40 of 44 Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Spring/Summer - 8 shirts, 3 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of sandals

Fall/Winter - 8 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, 10 pairs of socks, 1 pair of shoes - we also have been ending up with one nice dress outfit and shoes per kid

If dd decides she wants any skirts or dresses, they replace shirts/shorts/pants accordingly.

1 swimsuit, 1 jacket, and 1 coat

probably about 9 pairs of underwear

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#41 of 44 Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 PM

I don't have a count for you, but my rule is that it all has to easily fit in the available space.

DD1 has one drawer for nighttime diapers and wool covers (it's not even close to being full), one for daytime clothes, and one that holds pajamas, socks, undies and swimsuits.

DD2 has a drawer for nighttime dipes and socks, one for daytime dipes, one for daytime clothes and one for pajamas and wool covers/longies.

I also keep a smallish tote for each of them of clothes to grow into.

If a drawer or tote gets so full it can't easily open and shut, I start getting rid of things.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#42 of 44 Old 08-28-2009, 08:48 PM

So much depends on climate and season. I live in upstate ny where there are four very distinct seasons... so in summer it's easy to be minimal with enough tshirts and shorts to go a week, but in fall the temp may change 20+ degrees in a day with bright sun and sudden rain. Combine that with an active kiddo, lots of mess potential, and preschool and way more clothing is needed to get through a week!

I do weed through clothing frequently to remove stained/ripped items, and I pass along a lot of stuff as it is outgrown (the girls have very different fashions, and ds isn't going to want their stuff anyway!). I like the idea of a "what we need" list though!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#43 of 44 Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 PM

Wow. I know my kids have WAY too many clothes...but its nice not to have to do laundry every other day. Last month I actually went 2 wks with out washing a load of dark colors. I had a friend give me 3 trash bags of clothes for ds one was only shirts....then she also gave me about 10 prs jean shorts....and I had already cut and hemmed his too short jeans into shorts, so he has enough jean shorts to easily go 2 wks without washing...and now he just sleeps in a t-shirt and sweatpants
#44 of 44 Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 AM

I limit clothes to what I can comfortably fit in the drawers and hang in the closet. I do tend to have to much but my daughter goes through phases where she will only wear one type of clothes.. They can last anywhere from days to weeks. So one day she might want to wear only pants and the next it will be only dresses..
The baby actually doesn't really have enough clothes. I tend to dress her only when we leave the house because otherwise I have to do laundry several times a week.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page