Do you use a bread box? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about purchasing one to free up some space in our cramped refrigerator. However, I'm wondering if it's just another thing that will take up counter space, they seem kind of big. Bread box, yay or nay?
#2 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM

LMAO how timely!! I just bought one from ikea today! our bread drawer is basically falling apart and is the bane of my existence. so while it does clutter the counter more, it is a FAR better choice than the craptastic drawer we have whose door is basically falling off.

anyway, ikea. $15
#3 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM

One thing besides space to consider is if you purchase bread with preservatives or not since the more natural breads *have* to be refridgerated. Or perhaps your family goes through bread fast enough it might not matter!

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#4 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Yes, I love my bread box. I found an antique metal one at garage sale and my sister painted it up (red with a white stripe). it does take up room on the counter, but my dh always left the bread lying around on the counter anyways. This way, I feel like it looks less cluttered.
#5 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 PM

No bread box for us. We don't eat enough bread to justify it and it was just MAJOR clutter on the counter.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 PM

No, we just keep our bread in a kitchen cabinet.
#7 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
No, we just keep our bread in a kitchen cabinet.
:

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#8 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM

We've had one for many years and love it. It has a flat top (and access via a roll back front), so we don't really loose too much room, as we can put other things such as a fruit bowl, or cake or whatever on top.
#9 of 43 Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM

We have two bread box's one metal, one wood, both yard sale finds. We do used both but for a garage, barn, house, castle etc for the little one, lol.
#10 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM

Nope. I freak out if things are on the counter and/or out in the open. We use a deep drawer for all of our beads, rolls, tortillas, buns.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#11 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM

We got a handmade wooden one as a wedding present . I love it!
#12 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 PM

I use a basket.

love.gif

#13 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I keep it either on top of the freezer or in it depending on what bread it is. What is the purpose of a breadbox? Does it keep the bread fresh longer or is it just a place to store it?
#14 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM

We have one- but I'm really not sure why. We've just always had it.
I don't really know that it serves a useful purpose & I've been thinking about getting rid of it. We could just as easily put bread in the cupboard.
I like the idea of using a small basket instead. It would take up a bit less space and the contents would be more visible (so that we remember to use up the last of the english muffins, etc. for example). Hmm.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#15 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM

found this online:

AA breadbreadbread boxboxbox is aaa container used for the storage of breadbreadbread and other baked goods. AAA breadbreadbread boxboxbox is designed for the purpose of keeping breadbreadbread fresh while helping to maintain uncluttered kitchen surfaces. Typically, breadbreadbread boxes are very tightly sealed. When they work as intended, they trap moisture and prevent breadbreadbread from becoming stale too quickly. They can also be helpful in keeping breadbreadbread and other baked goods safe from pests, such as mice.

Often, individuals choose to store breadbreadbread in refrigerators, thinking that keeping it cold will lock in moisture and prevent it from going stale. Unfortunately, the opposite often occurs and breadbreadbread stored in the refrigerator may begin going stale after just one day. This is due to the fact that moisture loss doesn't really cause breadbreadbread to go stale. Staleness is caused by retrogradation, aaa process by which starch molecules crystallize. Retrogradation occurs much faster in the cold temperatures of normal refrigeration, making the refrigerator aaa poor choice for storing breadbreadbread.

Instead of refrigerating breadbreadbread to keep it fresh, it is best to store it at room temperature in aaa container designed to retain moisture, such as aaa breadbreadbread boxboxbox. There are many types of breadbreadbread boxes on the market, allowing consumers to find models that fit just about any kitchen decor and personal style preference. There are breadbreadbread boxboxbox models made of wood, acrylic, ceramic, enamel, stoneware and stainless steel. BreadBreadBread boxes come with many different types of lids as well, including hinged, roll-top, handled, lift-off and drop-down versions. Consumers can even find breadbreadbread boxes with handy attachments, such as pull-out breadbreadbread boards.

When you’re in the market for aaa breadbreadbread boxboxbox, it is wise to consider the amount of space you have in your kitchen. There are aaa wide variety of space-saver breadbreadbread boxes that require only aaa limited amount of space on aaa counter, tabletop, or shelf. Keep in mind that some breadbreadbread boxboxbox models only hold one loaf of breadbreadbread. If you have aaa large family, you may do well to consider purchasing aaa larger model or an expandable breadbreadbread boxboxbox. You can even find clear breadbreadbread boxboxbox versions, aaa smart idea for those given to forgetting what they have stored in containers.
#16 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We keep our bread in the freezer. We only buy natural bread w/o preservatives and in the freezer it stays fresher than in the fridge. The fridge dries it out more. It only takes a minute or two to defrost if we want a sandwich right then. For school lunches I just make the sandwich on frozen bread (easier to spread on) and it toasts up great.

I love the way bread boxes look, but I just know I'd put something in there and out of site out of mind and I'd look in there and see a big moldy mess.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#17 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM

We have a built-in microwave above the stove that we NEVER use. Except last month we began using it as a breadbox. Oh, and we use sprouted flour and make our own. Lasts about a week w/o going moldy here in the Pacific NW. Except rarely lasts a week.
#18 of 43 Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 PM

We have one that now lives in our garage. I found the biggest issue with it was that I would forget I had bread in there until it was all moldy and smelly, and then I had to clean the box! Now bread just sits on my counter, and I am also not a fan of that. I really like the idea of a basket that a pp mentioned - I am going to have to try that!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#19 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2grow View Post
One thing besides space to consider is if you purchase bread with preservatives or not since the more natural breads *have* to be refridgerated. Or perhaps your family goes through bread fast enough it might not matter!
Oh, I didn't think about that! We buy bread w/o preservatives.

Someone asked what the purpose of a bread box is; -for us it would be to free up some space in our fridge. We just moved into a house with a side by side fridge, and for some reason we just don't have enough room for all of our food. It just seems cramped.
#20 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Side by side fridges take some getting used to, ime. Give yourself some time, you'll figure it out. We actually got a breadbox for the EXACT SAME REASON. Had moved from an apartment with a freezer on top fridge into our first house and had a side by side for the first time and it seemed so awkward and small for many months. We love side by sides now, though...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#21 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 01:13 PM

No, I do not use a bread box. I just keep our breads in the 'fridge. If I buy a French or Italian bread (that needs to be eaten w/i a day or two), I just leave it on the counter.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#22 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 PM

I keep our loaves of bread in a drawer. :P

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#23 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM

I have and use a bread box. I make all our bread, store in plastic bags and keep it in there. Ours is pushed diagonally against the corner on the counter so there a dark spot where I also keep the potatoes behind it. I think it makes my kitchen look neater.
#24 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM

When I put bread it the breadbox, it goes bad because DH doesn't see it to eat it. So bread lives on top of the toaster oven. Peanut butter and other bread condiments live in the breadbox.
#25 of 43 Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nope. I make all our bread and it goes stale, even in a breadbox, pretty quickly. I keep it in the freezer and we just defrost/toast it as necessary. We don't eat a huge amount of bread, though. If guests are coming I make it fresh 'cause it's nicer.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 43 Old 06-13-2009, 12:44 AM

Natural bred does not have to be refrigerated. Ask the 65 000 inhabitants of France - their bread is preservative free and lives on counters and in drawers.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#27 of 43 Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 AM

i use a basket. looks nice, holds the bread and tortillas, visible, but neat.
#28 of 43 Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayabrink View Post
Natural bred does not have to be refrigerated. Ask the 65 000 inhabitants of France - their bread is preservative free and lives on counters and in drawers.
But they also make or buy new bread daily.

It takes us forever to go through bread since we don't eat it regularly. We just freeze it and put it out as necessary. A bread box wouldn't work for us either since we would probably keep the same loaf in their for a few months before we remembered it. Now we do keep fresh French bread and homemade breads out on the counter and consume it the same day. But that happens about twice a year.
#29 of 43 Old 06-14-2009, 06:54 PM

We keep our bread in a drawer or in the freezer to defrost as needed. The only bread we keep in the fridge is pitta bread.

I had a counter top bread bin once which was a beautiful old enamelled bin with a lid but it was so deep I couldn't get the bread out of it and it went mouldy more often than not.
#30 of 43 Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 AM

if you make your own bread then breadboxes really do not work well... i have one but it really is a waste and my bread gets stale within a couple days regardless. i just either put it in the freezer or make bread pudding out of it.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page