Any ideas what I can use for a pantry? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up in California and the kitchen in the house I left when I was about 5 looked exactly like yours! I did a gasp when I saw it. So therefore, I love it, myself.

I have some of those wire shelves that someone linked to from home depot. I got mine at target, though. I put them in my laundry room as extra pantry space. It's a walk, but not too bad, I'm in there all the time anyway, and I don't need full bags of flour or new boxes of cereal every day.

If that were my kitchen, I'd get a small island/cart on wheels and keep it either in the middle of the kitchen, or where the step stool is. In that, I'd put the big appliances, the mixer, blender, food processer, etc. That would free up some cabinet space.

I also like the idea of putting stuff in boxes on top of the fridge.

If I still needed more space, I'd do something about the table area. First of all, if I could get away with it, I'd get a smaller table, or one that could be folded down square and opened up when company came over. And/or, I'd pull the table away from the wall a bit, and put some sort of cabinet (or china hutch or antique piesafe, anything that is tallish and not too deep.) against the wall where the picture is hanging on the wall, and leave the table more in the middle of the space there. It looks like you have enough room....
#32 of 41 Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 PM

You know, if you wanted to, it looks like you could extend the wall there to the left of the oven, and add some cabinets there.
#33 of 41 Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie View Post
I would look around craigslist for Ikea cabinets people might be getting rid of. My dad uses one of their wardrobe cabinet as a pantry and it works well.
Yep, a friend of mine does that too. She found one someone was selling at a yard sale, painted it to match her kitchen, and she now has instant pantry space. It looks good too.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#34 of 41 Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM

I think your kitchen is beautiful! I love the wood floor and the cabinets and how open the space is. I agree with you on the tile countertop, though. All those little crevices to clean would drive me crazy!

This is what we use as a pantry: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

Currently, it is set up in our laundry room, which is a small walk in room just off of our kitchen. Before we moved to this house, we used it in our dining room, as two shorter shelves, one on each side of the dining room space in our apartment. I tossed king size sheets over them instead of sewing a formal cover, but you could always cover them if you wanted. We also have several of those same shelves set up for storage in our garage.

I really love these Costco shelves for several reasons. First, they are truly heavy duty shelves. They are the kind of shelves used for food storage in restaurants and can really handle the weight of the food. Wire shelves that you get in other places are not necessarily so heavy duty. I have seen the same shelves at places other than Costco for $200-250, so the Costco price is amazing. Second, as you can see in the picture, these shelves come with a little guard for the back of the shelves, which helps keeps items from sliding off the back. Finally, they are extremely flexible. You can use them at their full height, as shown in the picture, or you can make 2 sets of shelves that are half as tall.

These shelves do come with wheels, but if you are going to put a lot of heavy food items, like cans, on the shelves, I would not recommend using the wheels. We tried that and came very close to a disaster when I tried rolling the fully loaded, full height shelves. We have used the wheels successfully with the 1/2 height configuration.

Since you are also looking for more counter space, you might consider using 1/2 height shelves, storing food only on the bottom 2 shelves, and getting some sort of hard surface -- even plywood works -- for the top. Put the wheels on, and you can keep the shelves anywhere convenient on the same floor as your kitchen, wheeling it in only when you need the extra counter space.

eta: When we still had cable, I used to watch a lot of home decorating shows. I remember on one of them, they painted an oven door to solve non-matching appliance problem. I think you need to use special paint for high heat, but I'm sure someone at a paint store could help you with that!
#35 of 41 Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's a start. I found this bookcase at Goodwill today for $12. The baskets are Ikea baskets that I found at the same Goodwill for about $3/ea. The next time I get to Ikea I may buy 1 or 2 more just for a little more storage on the shelves. I got to move the microwave over there and off the counter. YAY!

Extra Trader Joe's coffee, a few bottles of wine, and our steamer pot on the bottom. The baskets are holding a bunch of pasta boxes (so now I have more room in the cabinet/pantry to find things), the jar in the middle has some fruit snacks for the kids and the basket with no handle on the middle shelf will hold fruit (currently we have some over ripe bananas in there ). I also took out a bunch of items from the drawer and put in a little wicker basket that we don't use that often (wire whisk, spatulas, ice cream scooper), so that gave me a little more room in my utensil drawer.

Not sure I 100% am in love with it, but it'll do for now. Thanks to everybody for such wonderful feedback!

Before:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/...ffbf87c2_b.jpg

After:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/califor...33701/sizes/l/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/...89629747_b.jpg

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#36 of 41 Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 PM

That looks great! Those baskets really fit perfectly, don't they?
#37 of 41 Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 AM

I use an unstained basic ikea shelf for dry goods, home canned goods and flour. Most of it is in glass jars, and I like the way it looks. I keep store canned stuff out of site in a kitchen cabinet. Of course mine is shut away in a closet- if it were out in the open I might feel it looked too busy and cover it up. I don't like a lot of visual distraction in my kitchen. The only things that are on the counters are a bread maker and coffee maker, and the only other thing out in the open is a book shelf with my cookbooks and slow cooker on it.

Here's a picture of part of my pantry, if that helps.
#38 of 41 Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM

My kitchen doesn't have a lot of space and my cooking/baking dishes/supplies take up most of the cupboard space so I just found an old dresser at a thrift store and use it to store beans, rice, flour, pasta, and the top drawer is saved for towels and produce bags which I reuse for garbage bags.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#39 of 41 Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We live in a similar set up but waayyy smaller kitchen and we just dedicated one cabinet to food. We also have a hall that leads to the laundry room with a small bookcase that I put my jars of beans and spice rack on. Those are things I can stand to look at. Mac n cheese, not so much.

By the way, your horrid space looks like my dream home. Beautiful place!

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#40 of 41 Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyalily View Post
We live in a similar set up but waayyy smaller kitchen and we just dedicated one cabinet to food. We also have a hall that leads to the laundry room with a small bookcase that I put my jars of beans and spice rack on. Those are things I can stand to look at. Mac n cheese, not so much.

By the way, your horrid space looks like my dream home. Beautiful place!
Aww..thanks! I agree. I can stand to look at neat jars of beans, but not a box of Annie's Mac & Cheese (although the bunnies are cute). Heh.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#41 of 41 Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Wow! That looks like a fabulous kitchen. It's twice the size of mine with much better cabinets. Our kitchen is a tiny U shape and none of the drawers are wide enough to accommodate a flatware holder and the majority of the cabinets are in the corners which makes it really hard to get things in and out. I keep most of my stuff on shelves in the garage as I just don't know what to do with my kitchen.

I'd love to have a kitchen as nice as yours. Perspective, huh?

i must agree as well. your kitchen is fabulous (minus those counter tops that is! lol!) my kitchen is TINY! and we just remodeled it this year too! my background is interior design, so i chose to use open shelving to store our everyday dishes and have all of our food in the cabinets behind closed doors. i have another extensive pantry in my basement and store small kitchen appliances and bulky items in our dining room buffet.

here's my kitchen.....

photo #1
photo #2
photo #3

and here's my dining room buffet where we store other stuff plus our fine china and crystal.....

photo #1

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page