I love a clean house. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 07-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i definitely find that my children thrive in a clear space. i notice that they'll reach kind of a finished point with their toys, and if i leave them where they are, they don't get played with. as an artist finishes a painting. if i put them away, they'll get started again, just as you say.

however we've been a bit sudden with our bedtime routines lately and haven't been including the tidying up part! best to get back to it!

#62 of 90 Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Me too! Me too!

My mom also appreciates a clean house (although the home I grew up in was pretty cluttered) and I love when she comes over and marvels at how clean we keep our house.

Even at eight or nine years old, I remember how I enjoyed cleaning my room on a Sunday - decluttering, vacuuming, and then putting clean sheets on my bed. I'd lay out my clothes for school the next day and go to sleep in a crisp, clear room. I can still remember the feeling of lying in bed and enjoying my clean room.

I can't admit that to many people!

#63 of 90 Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM

I LOVE having a clean house but it rarely stays that way so I've dropped my expectations. My thinking/reasoning is that if one room in my house actually *stays* clean for more than 5min, I'm happy. It does make me ALOT less stressed when my home is clean tho.

#64 of 90 Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM

I am soooo excited! Thanks to inspiration here and elswhere(and finally having energy in the second trimester here) I have really stayed on top of the house. It is saving me so much time and we are on time to places. I needed to make a bunch of dishes to bring to a b-b-q yesterday- usually that would have meant being way late and frazzled and I would have ended up w/ a messy kitchen and a sinkful of dishes. However, because i have been right on top of it I got everything made w/ time to spare and the kitchen was clean when I got home- which was good because then everything was ready to cook again. dh has even made comments about how good it is looking and he said something about how we need to invite everyone over now! I have also put lots of time into the yard and garden as well and am so proud. I am hoping to get and keep everything in tip-top condition so when baby #3 arrives I have my life more organized that things will go more smoothly and if/when it does fall apart for awhile it won't be so far to get it back up to standards. I already have 40 meals made for the postpartum period and plan to make 20 more. I am figuring out what else I can do ahead of time as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#65 of 90 Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I am soooo excited! Thanks to inspiration here and elswhere(and finally having energy in the second trimester here) I have really stayed on top of the house.
That is great! I love hearing about others' successes.

The thing is,
wanting a clean house is not just about obsessively needing a perfect pristine space, it's about being on time and being able to find stuff and being able to *do* more (in your case, being able to cook those dishes to bring on your outing.)
#66 of 90 Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
wanting a clean house is not just about obsessively needing a perfect pristine space, it's about being on time and being able to find stuff and being able to *do* more
:

And being able to FIND things.

When everything has a place and everything is IN its place you can find those pool passes from last year and your daughter's favorite sweater and the can opener.

#67 of 90 Old 07-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post
Me too! Me too!

Even at eight or nine years old, I remember how I enjoyed cleaning my room on a Sunday - decluttering, vacuuming, and then putting clean sheets on my bed. I'd lay out my clothes for school the next day and go to sleep in a crisp, clear room. I can still remember the feeling of lying in bed and enjoying my clean room.
This. At age 43.

I love getting into bed on Sunday night, with the hung-outside-sheets and my clothes laid out for work for Monday morning. I cuts down on the stress of getting the family out the door by a lot.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#68 of 90 Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM

My house feels SO clean when I have just spent an hour on my hands n knees scrubbing the kitchen floor with a floor brush and bucket of hot soapy water. Oh the yuck that a mop or swiffer wont ever in a million years get.
#69 of 90 Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 PM

I feel soooooo good when my house is clean & organized. Even though it never seems to stay that way for long & I have not yet perfected the process...it feels so nice to accomplish order & cleanliness.

My best friend is a Personal Organizer & mother of 3... she recently said she realized what it is that drives her most nuts in her own home...it's dirty floors. Other things can be out of place & there can be laundry to get to & toys all over the kids rooms...but when the floors of her kitchen/living room get super dirty, it bothers her the most (wood floors) And when they are clean, the other stuff doesn't seem as out of control.

I had been feeling like I fell behind & was losing control of the house so I thought about that & just tried to focus on keeping the floors swept (we have all hardwood & tile). It does make me feel better...everything just feels cleaner when the floors are clean.

And we have a very small kitchen, so when I keep the dishes out of the sink & my counter clean, that also makes a world of difference.

Our biggest issue is the dining room table-that's where mail, DH's work space & work papers, & other clutter I need to deal with sits. I am trying to spend 5 minutes a day now to deal properly with what ends up sitting there & it is helping. I will admit to a small basket I put receipts & mail in that I am not ready to shred or deal with yet. But they have their spot & get dealt with when I can.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#70 of 90 Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM

some floors look dirty faster than others - my last flat looked bad right after you swept! my stairs are white, and always covered in hair :: i really don't know what to do about it, i feel like i should put some doublesided tape down somewhere to catch it all!!

well, i had a well-tuned routine going, and now i've added something to it - getting back to working at home - and everything has fallen apart. i *know* i could seek some balance by setting timers and following routines, but i'm on a roll in my drawing and i don't want to stop! hopefully i can find a balance very soon

#71 of 90 Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
My house feels SO clean when I have just spent an hour on my hands n knees scrubbing the kitchen floor with a floor brush and bucket of hot soapy water. Oh the yuck that a mop or swiffer wont ever in a million years get.
Well today I spent around 3 hrs scrubbing my floor on my hands and knees. Mommaof3 -you inspired me to do it. What a job. I did my entire condo-around 1100 sq ft. The floor is light tile and although I wash quite often it still looks dirty. I used some simple green today and two scrub pads since I didn't have a brush. Usually I just use dish soap w some vinegar and EO's. It looks so much better. I totally agree with the other post about how much of a difference a clean floor can make. In the future I know to get minimal grout. I just cannot imagine having carpet. My tile gets so grimy even though I have everyone take off their shoes. I know when I had my tile professionally cleaned and the grout sealed it looked awesome and I felt less stressed for months. Well I feel relieved but I know I will be achy tomorrow. My friend is coming for lunch so that got me going too!! :
Now I still need to p/u things from the store, get some flowers and do laundry.
#72 of 90 Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM

es1967-Doesn't it feel great?? I ALWAYS make a yummy chocolaty dessert before I scrub. After its done I sit in my fresh, clean kitchen and enjoy a piece of chocolate yumminess. Barefoot, so I can swish my feet across the floor under the table and feel the deep clean. AAAHHHH. It is the little things ya know.
#73 of 90 Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
es1967-Doesn't it feel great?? I ALWAYS make a yummy chocolaty dessert before I scrub. After its done I sit in my fresh, clean kitchen and enjoy a piece of chocolate yumminess. Barefoot, so I can swish my feet across the floor under the table and feel the deep clean. AAAHHHH. It is the little things ya know.
Yummmmm. Great idea. I'm off to get something chocolaty at the store.
#74 of 90 Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is the little things ya know.

After everyone is in bed, I pick up everything in my living room, get it in order, turn on our fountain so water is trickling in the background and sit in there reading a good book -- just so peaceful and calming. Enjoying the clean vibes.

#75 of 90 Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 AM

ahh - had company over this morning, and had a rapid clean + tidy, it took less than an hour to put things in order.

#76 of 90 Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 AM

I just love laying in bed knowing the house is clean! We had some concrete work yesterday(my brother and his crew did the work) and I brought them in to show them the bathroom dh had been working on and it was so nice not worrying about this or that being dirty and being so proud of how nice it looked. It really is so much easier to keep things up rather than to play catch up. I get aggravated that I let it get away from me sometimes.

On the agenda for today is mopping the kitchen and dining area then spot mopping the rest of the house. Most of the house still looks awesome since I just scrubbed all of it but I want to keep it up. The kitchen honestly could be mopped 2x a week but that is too much for me and it still looks presentable now just not great.

I have a very, very, very long and tiring day tomorrow so I really want to make sure I get everything tip-top today since we won't be home. I also need to plan and make our meals as well. I will have to take breakfast and lunch w/ me and pack the kids meals. I will probably try and keep it simple.

I was so proud as well as yesterday I was feeling rather depressed and stressed and when I am like that it is easy to start to let things go, but I didn't give myself permission to do that. I knew today would be better and I would be happy that I still kept it up!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#77 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 AM

#78 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Add me to the love a clean house club. I am lucky enough to be married to a man who feels the same way and loves to clean. He is great at putting things where they belong and organizing and I do the clean thing when he is done.

Anyone ever notice that all those people who tell you they don't clean b/c they are playing with their kids, etc, spend quite a bit of time online? LOL

Now that my kids are older, they all have chores and it really helps out with keeping the house neat and orderly. I also love the swiffer brooms and mops b/c they are light and simple enough for the kids to use.
#79 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM

how old are your kids, mar? i started introducing more responsibilities for my little ones, hm, what happened to that? it is really helpful, just to feel like i'm not the only one pushing against the tide.

you are amazingly blessed, having a tidy partner i love mine just the way he is, mind

#80 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
:

And being able to FIND things.

When everything has a place and everything is IN its place you can find those pool passes from last year and your daughter's favorite sweater and the can opener.
Seriously! I hate when my friend comments that I'm such a neat freak. I like being efficient & cleanliness & order are so important for that to happen. I spend a fraction of the time cleaning & organizing that my friend does in just looking for her wallet

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#81 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM

artparent- my kids are 13, 11 and 8 (soon to 9) They take turns unloading and loading the dishwasher, my 11 y.o. loves to help with clothes, they all help with cleaning. We don't have specific set chores. I just ask, and they do. And yes, I am very lucky- and I let him know how much I appreciate it! LOL
#82 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Seriously! I hate when my friend comments that I'm such a neat freak. I like being efficient & cleanliness & order are so important for that to happen. I spend a fraction of the time cleaning & organizing that my friend does in just looking for her wallet
Sister thats a bit of jealousy, envy and a tad bit of evil mixed together to try n make her feel better about herself and you feel rotten about yourself. When she says it simply say back "thank you so much. it means a lot to hear you say that".
#83 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM

I like a clean house, too. However. I HATE cleaning. Also? I'm not good at it. I like it to be magically clean. So, I hired a weekly maid. Now my house gets clean like magic.
#84 of 90 Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread, but just because you like and keep a clean house does NOT mean your children will when they're grown. My mother was and is very neat, not obsessive, but tidy and clean. One sister is extremely clean, the other is extremely messy and I am in the middle.

My messy sister used to throw dirt from the yard on the floor when my neat sister cleaned their room. She would be furious, throw her clean clothes out of the drawers and throw dirt on the floor. She'd say, "I LIKE my room this way!"
#85 of 90 Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 PM

I love it too. Well said! I'm shocked how quickly it's upside down or messy though. Granted, I can get it back in shape pretty quickly. Still though- it's constant. With three kids I can't keep it like that every day. I think I' m good at keeping up with it in general, but there are lots of messy messy days. But I do so appreciate that moment when it's all clean. Kind of like sitting before a nice big chocolate cake. I love getting in bed with clean sheets, and I love waking up to a clean kitchen.

It is irritating to feel like people think it's a waste of time. I also don't really care how other people keep their houses, b/c as you say, I don't live there. I'm a homebody, and being in a calm, clean space is definitely conducive to peace of mind for me. And I love being able to find stuff and knowing where it is. My SIL once mentioned looking all day for the kids birth certificates. Not how I'd want to waste a busy day.
#86 of 90 Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 PM

I also love a clean house (and adore puzzles, too!). We moved into our house a year ago and I've been on an anti-clutter mission since then. It's worked well, especially keeping toys out of the living room, which was always one of my major issues.

I don't get the passive-aggressive comments. Some of my friends are neat freaks and some aren't, and we all tease each other for different reasons. I was teased when I put up a clothesline and started making my own laundry detergent. I, in turn, tease a friend because she LOVES to vacuum, which I hate. But none of us are hurtful or jealous about it; each of us is happy with our own situation, and comfortable enough to confess where we would like to do things differently.

It's silly to tell someone that they shouldn't clean, and I hate those obnoxious emails that say stuff about happy kids equating to messy houses. There are a thousand little things over the course of the day that I could let go in order to spend more time with my kids. There are a thousand other things that my kids take precedence over. Balance is key, and I believe a clean house can coexist with kids who are happy and healthy and not neglected.
#87 of 90 Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 AM

I, too, love a clean house. I just can't seem to get mine that way! I definitely used to fall into the camp of "my kids need me more, I don't have time for housework" etc when I was a new mom. But now I realize that it's actually part of what they need. When things are messy and cluttered and no one can find anything, it's no fun, and everyone is grumpy and rushed and life is hectic.

I'm feel overwhelmed by it though, as my house has slowly gotten out of order again. It just doesn't seem to come naturally to me, when it come to my own space. And my life is super busy right now, too busy. I don't really want to be this busy, but it is right now. Can someone tell me where to start??
#88 of 90 Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 AM

nak

one word: flylady

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#89 of 90 Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM

flylady really helps me, also 'getting things done' is a great book. once you've got some routines in order, things just function so much better. when i started parenting i was utterly routinelss and things are so much easier now. flylady's decluttering has been critical for me, my house is so much easier to handle when it is ruthlessly 'thinned'. none of us our happy with a lot of objects, though we have a lot of attachments to those objects!!

my favourite tool is really the timer, because i get overwhelmed easily and cannot even begin. i usually find something i've spent weeks avoiding will take me less than 10 minutes. i also find that once i reach a certain state of clean and organised, i'm more likely to maintain it than to give up...once i drop below that level, i'll just give up and stop putting things away, and then it spins out of control. i also find that a new responsibility or routine (starting new classes, deciding to start doing yoga daily) will throw me and i need to be very conscious about how to reorganise our routines.

good luck!

#90 of 90 Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM

Funny this thread came up again! I had a few slacker weeks and then this week I got sick and had a few days I went to bed without picking up everything. I spent yesterday getting everything back in order and feel so much better!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page