Pictures centered over furniture or center of wall? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, if you saw my previous thread, I went to Target and got some frames. Now my question is, this:

Our couch is not centered on the wall due to there being another piece of furniture along that side. I want to hang 5 pictures over the couch, a 16x20 frame holding an 11x14 in the middle, and 2 8x10s flanking each side (so 4 8x10s total). Do I center them over the couch or on the wall?

BTW~ Sorry for so many picture questions. We've been renters for so long so we never hung pictures on the walls b/c of having to fill holes, etc. Now that we own our first home, we can hang as many pictures as we want, but don't know a thing abouthanging them in an arrangement.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've always used the furnishings as a guide to picture placement personally. (We have a ton of pictures that we hang, and we rent...and move once a year to boot lol!).
Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hang pictures centered over/around the furniture, unless they are in a hallway or a stairwell or a really narrow bit of wall where there is no furniture to anchor them visually, then I'd center them on the wall.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 AM

To me it depends.

I have two smallish walls in the dining room and have them centred in the walls as I move the room around a bit so the hanging thing would look odd without the furniture there to balance it.

In my lounge though I have a floating shelf that is centred over a small storage cabinet that is fairly permanently placed due to how the rest of the lounge works. And in my hallway I have a picture frame centred over a storage cabinet.

I think too, sometimes you need to place something based on how you look at it. I remember in one house placing something on a short wall and it looked really wrong centred because of the angle that you approached it so i had it offset based on what "looked" right rather than logically.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 06-28-2009, 12:43 PM

I do centered with furniture I think it would drive me nuts if it wasn't, lol. Although I do drive dh crazy as I'm always changing around our lr furniture which means moving around the pictures.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09

User Tag List