What did you accomplish today? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 185 Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to tell someone I FINALLY caught up on the laundry. I hurt myself a few weeks ago and ended up really falling behind on housework. I had 12 loads of laundry to do yesterday and today I finished the last load! Small victory for me!

Oh and my wonderful hubby cleaned out our storage closet yesterday so I didn't have to do it today.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#122 of 185 Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Found a couple pairs of shoes to get rid of.
Moved more shoes into the under bed storage.
Sorted and put away more laundry.
Moved more personal books from work to home.
Posted another book on Paperbackswap.
Sent out 5 books today.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#123 of 185 Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 AM

Okimom! WTG!

I was ill for three weeks spanning part of July and part of August. I also fell behind on many things. I got caught up on some quicker than others.

Today, I worked on finances and paperwork. The ordinary, routine downloads to Quicken and checking bills, etc was caught up last week and I kept that up this week. I also got to a project I've been meaning to do for awhile: Reviewing our three credit bureau reports EACH (six total) and correcting any issues and closing unnecessary accounts. I started mine before DH came home from work and then we sat side by side on the sofa to finish mine and do his. He made some phone calls while I cleaned up from dinner. I also called Costco's insurance carrier to compare policies with our current carrier. State Farm was $41 less every six months for auto insurance for us, so I didn't need to do anything else on that project. I had opened some new accounts last week and needed to make some phone calls and follow-up on a few details today.

While cleaning up from dinner, I took the whole stovetop apart and cleaned every little nook and cranny. It is only a month or two old and ICK! I wipe it down every night (but I doubt DH did when I was ill) and I have taken it apart a few times before. Cooking from scratch (DH more than me) most of the time really adds a layer of grime to the kitchen...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#124 of 185 Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 AM

Ah! So much done today! I:

*helped the kids clean and organize the playroom
*threw a bunch of stuffed animals in the washing machine
*finally caught up on about 2 days worth of dishes
*cleared out several garden beds so I can start planting my fall crops
*harvested the last of my beans and a few pumpkins
*made some bulk pancake mix from here (so glad I found this!)http://www.keeperofthehome.org/

*made chicken stock
*portioned out some ham and put in the freezer
#125 of 185 Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Wow! You gals are amazing!

Let see...Today I swept the floors. Washed the dishes from last night :. Made a double batch of zucchini bread. Cleaned the dishes again. Wiped up cat puke in the kitchen. Weeded the front yard and driveway. Added the final coat of paint to the drip rail DH and I replaced on the south side of the house last weekend. Washed a load of laundry. Cleaned up DSs potty accident on the floor. Washed another load of laundry after cleaning DS up . And now I am going to knit for a while, since DS is in his room for nap/quite time. None of that was decluttering, but it's been an eventful day nonetheless.
#126 of 185 Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 PM

I managed a few things:
* Cleaned out the top of the living room closet, finding two diaper bags, my sling and Baby Bjorn - all of which I was looking for.
* Went through a box of DD's clothes. I thought they were all girlie clothes, but there were actually some boy clothes that we can save for DS (on the way).

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#127 of 185 Old 08-19-2009, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is small compared to some of you... but I've been using a beat up picnic basket for a sewing basket and dragged it house to house for years. I finally had enough. I bought a proper basket and organized everything. Now when I sit down to do a button or hem, I won't be searching through a bunch old crud to find what I need. ::
#128 of 185 Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 AM

I start teaching in two weeks and my home office (where I do most of my prep work) has been driving me crazy! Especially since I received a stack of new textbooks from publishers. So this evening I started backing up my hard drive on DVDs and while the computer was burning disks, I started going through my bookshelves again...I picked 25 books to donate to the department. I also have a garbage bag worth of paper (from various binders) to recycle. I still have to go through one more large bookcase tomorrow and I have a few more files to backup on my hard drive too, but at least it's a start. My office feels much better already.
#129 of 185 Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok, this morning I finished organizing my last book case. I added a few more items to the donate pile. I also started filing the backlog of articles and such that need to find a home in my file cabinet. Now my pile is only one foot tall, instead of 2.5 feet :. To finish this project, however, I need some more file folders, which I hope to pick up this afternoon...
#130 of 185 Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Not a lot physically, but they were those "loose ends" type of things that make you feel soooo GOOD once they are completely done!

~ AmVets picked up our latest round of decluttering (earlier in August) and left a tax receipt. :

~ DH & I finished signing up for an online account, including going to our local credit union to have the transfer forms notarized (securities account). They didn't charge us for the notary. DH just finished faxing it all off and received confirmation it went through. :

~ DH & I also got our old HSA account closed and the paperwork is completed for a rollover to the new HSA and will be in the mail in the morning. We're just waiting for one more thing before we can get the direct deposit started up for the new account, but the old DD is canceled and we have finished everything we can for now. :

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#131 of 185 Old 08-23-2009, 02:55 AM

today I cleaned out the fridge, went grocery shopping (big time- went to the bread factory AND the regular store), came home, sorted through all the pantry items and organized by type and date and then reorganized the chest freezer!
#132 of 185 Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM

DH and I got the desk out of our room. Which is the first step in moving the dressers into our room. We put the desk on the curb, and w/in 15 minutes it was GONE! I love that our "bulk trash" usually doesn't have to end up in a landfill.

However, I (8 mos pregnant) helped DH get the desk down two flights of stairs. Mostly while sitting on my butt and taking it two stairs at a time. It was tiring and a little worrisome, but I think nothing is strained.

#133 of 185 Old 08-23-2009, 06:36 PM

I did SOOOOOO much. OMG! All afternoon yesterday I went through the kitchen, cleaned out all the drawers, cabinets, etc.

Of course, now I'm questioning some of the stuff--if I sould keep it or what, etc.

But I am continuously going through the kitchen stuff so it's rather uncluttered actually!

Anyhow...my knees were killing me last night! Sigh

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#134 of 185 Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 AM

Did a TON of laundry - you know, all the delicates, etc. Got to the bottom of the laundry bag(s). If there is a third of a load left, I'd really be surprised. I do have kitchen towels to clean. And lunch boxes - DS, our toddler dragged them all over the kitchen and living room, SIGH.

Also started cleaning out the fridge (we are going away for over a week). Still have not packed all my stuff, since I'm waiting for my bras, etc. to dry. But got mostly all packed, including toiletries, diapers, etc.
#135 of 185 Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM

wow, you mamas are so inspiring!

off to try to make something of my day!

#136 of 185 Old 08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
srs

Just got ELEVEN moving boxes of stuff picked up for donation. : I told DH we were celebrating our sixth wedding anniversary by getting rid of the stuff we never asked for, never wanted, and couldn't return from our wedding. And most of the rest was baby clothes we didn't ask for/didn't like/never used with DD.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#137 of 185 Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Today I put away all of the "stuff" that came out of our RV. Put a dresser I bought last weekend in the room it belongs in. Took 2 BIG boxes of magazines and books to the library and put them on the free shelf for others to enjoy. DD cleaned out 1/2 the pantry don't want to talk about all the wasted food in there.... : AND Oh and put 2 pairs of pants on freecycle. :

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." ~William Morris
#138 of 185 Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM

i really did get inspired i packed up all the things i'm taking to london this round, moved everything for charity into a corner of the storage room, prepared a bag of things for young mums, freecycled a number of things, came across some linen to make a dress, prepared a box of music discs to sell off, sorted out any last clothing to be given away, did two loads of laundry (the very last!) left behind here and made decisions about all of it, cut up an old white t-shirts for rags, began slicing up an ugly stripey tablecloth and rolling up a ball of the pretty stripes to rag a rug with, chose tools out of my toolbox to take to london, polished spice jars to take, put away the camping gear! phew! and managed to cook two good meals! my children were having a very happy, playing on their own day

since then i've decided to try to do one extra task here each day, so far i've gotten my sewing box fixed, and reorganised its contents, and bought myself a good pair of shears to go with my thread-snipping scissors.

#139 of 185 Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 PM

This morning I finally put away all the laundry that I had folded, but in baskets. In the process I went through my chest of drawers and decided to finally let go of a few items that I didn't fit in (but had vainly hoped I might some day). I added them to a donation box I have going in the basement. This gave me room for the few "new" items of professional apparel that I recently bought at the thrift store.

Then this evening, after dinner and baking cookies, I brought up all the large containers of bulk foods (rice, oats, several varieties of flour, etc) and refilled the smaller containers I keep in the kitchen. I have no pantry, only a makeshift storage area in the basement and a small cabinet in the kitchen for food. This is something I have to do about every month.

The only other thing I worked on today (other than the usual dish washing and misc cleaning up after DS) was to knit about 8 inches on a giant snake I am making DS for Christmas...slowly but surely.
#140 of 185 Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 AM

You ladies are so inpiring! Got a lot of stuff done yesterday in the ktichen. Hopefully I'll get re-energized here. Been getting up early now that school is in session!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#141 of 185 Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM

This evening I decided I was tired of the messy shelves in my basement. I had spent a lot of time decluttering and arranging last summer, but things had gone down hill since then - entropy stinks.

I straightened tools and organized things on the shelves. I also went through several boxes, where I had dumped stuff over the months. I pulled out a bunch of items to donate and/or sell. While the family watched a video, I posted about a dozen items on Craigs list. The rest of the stuff is in a box to donate. I've made up my mind that if the items don't sell within the month on Craigslist, I will take it all to donate.

All in all, I only spent about 2 hours on the project, but it's already made a difference.
#142 of 185 Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I scrubbed the bathroom! I vow to NEVER let it get that dirty again

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#143 of 185 Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Today I've done a load of dishes, 4 loads of laundry, gathered up 10 pairs of shoes to get rid of (half donate, half chuck).

Hubby tore apart our bathroom in the first step before some "minor" renovation over the next week.

I bathed our cat after she tried to stick her head down the toilet pipe. (Which was so nice to do in the kitchen sink because I had all the dishes done!)

I painted the base of a small lamp and a lightswitch plate for the babies' nursery.

I like this thread!!

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#144 of 185 Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 PM

I've been doing laundry (about to put in the 4th load).

I moved a bunch of stuff into the baby's room.

I made progress on packing the hospital bag for DS's arrival.

Canned up some pears that are in need of processing. More tomorrow, I think!

#145 of 185 Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM

At first I was like "Good night, some of these women get so much done!" then I read sigs and realized that some of it is nesting so it's not fair to compare. Congrats

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#146 of 185 Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
At first I was like "Good night, some of these women get so much done!" then I read sigs and realized that some of it is nesting so it's not fair to compare. Congrats
For me it's definitely nesting, but WOW, I get so much done! Hello 2nd trimester, how do I love thee.

This weekend I:
-cleaned under the bed (who knew you could have that much dust under there)
-vacuumed the house
-cleaned the kitchen sink, stove, ceiling (ew, cobwebs), and the outside of the fridge
-scrubbed the toilet
-did 6? 7? loads of laundry
-cleared off a dresser surface (not a small task)
-sold a microwave and a lawn mower (gone forever! yay!)
-cleaned off furniture to sell and posted it on craigslist
-went to the farmer's market
-started organizing the office, but didn't get very far

Progress is happening, slowly. I love reading everyone's accomplishments here--it's inspiring! Keep up the good work, ladies!
#147 of 185 Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Today I,

made lumpia (rolling is VERY time consuming!) dp fried some and some went into the freezer.
scrubbed two bathrooms (very thoroughly including walls)
did laundry
packed lunches for tomorrow
wrote and double checked a quiz
#148 of 185 Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM

I put away all the clean clothes that were downstairs and should have been upstairs.

I cleared the sideboard that we have in the bedroom and dusted the window sills. I hoovered our room and hung up things that had been just thrown over the hanging rail.

I completely cleared our living room floor and washed it with a cloth in hand and a bucket of hot water with bicarb and vinegar which soon turned black:

I cleared the drive of leaves and stuff which hadn't been caught by the bucket that was under the shredder when we shredded a load of willow branches yesterday.

Mmm it seems that I did jobs which should have been done some time ago - at the very time the jobs were first started!

I also made a t-shirt strip necklace which is cool but needs dyeing green I think. I messed about with a disappearing 9 patch quilt top I started 2 nights ago and read the newspaper.
#149 of 185 Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Way to go mama's! You rock! I love this thread too!!!

Hmm, today I made a yummy breakfast in the tiny cottage kitchen at my mom's cabin and cleaned up after we ate. Then we rigged up my dad's homemade wooden boat and then went sailing for a few hours in the cold, cold wind. Then we put it all away.

After that, it was the long drive home again. Once home, we unloaded the car and put our dirty clothes in the laundry...hmm...more work for tomorrow. It was a fun and exhausting day.

BTW: I made around $50 on some of the items I put up on Craig's list last week! Yay!
#150 of 185 Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 PM

that felt good!:

i have 4 grocery bags of clothes that are going to a new home, 2+ garbage bags full of pictures/furniture/books/toys/stuffed animals going to goodwill.

pack n play/mobile that were gifts and never used going to another family with a new baby.

sad, dead plant finally removed and new plant introduced (really good light in kids room).

fixed twinkle lights.

re-arranged room, took out bed, vacuumed, washing curtains, wiped window sills, dusted.

next task for the day: linen closet.

i am a shameless buyer of linens. i love blankets like some women love shoes. you know the ones i mean!

i need to cut the amount of linens we have and find some i can use for quilts i need to finish.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page