book: Clutter Busting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It's time for you to take out the trash.

Currently you live in the most expensive type of trash can. The trash in your home (or work environment) consumes precious space and zaps energy from your life.
That's how Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back starts. In spite of how the book starts, it's actually very positive and encouraging -- it's not at all about guilting or shaming you into decluttering. If you want some inspiration for decluttering, go get this book or request that your library buy it! You can get a feel for the author's writing style and read some anecdotes that are in the book at his blog, which I also recommend (excellent posts this week!).

More than any other decluttering book that I've read, I think that this book really has the potential to help people shift into decluttering mode. He addresses in great detail why we accumulate clutter, why we hold onto stuff, and how it affects us to live with clutter. He goes beyond the superficial practical aspects of all of that and writes about the emotional and energetic aspects of clutter -- and IMO that what a lot of the challenge of clutter comes down to. Although the author doesn't mention feng shui, his philosophy has more in common with feng shui principles than it does with other decluttering books that I've read.

Check out the contents:
  • You Are Sacred -- Your Things Are Not
  • We Assume False Identities in Clutter
  • Clutter Keeps Us Living in the Past
  • Clutter Represents Fear of Change
  • Clutter Is an Addiction
  • Clearing Clutter to Make Room for Clarity
  • Inner Clutter Creates Outer Clutter
  • Mental Clutter
  • Clutter as Punishment
  • Using Your Discriminating Skills
  • What Really Matters
  • Summary of Clutter-Busting Principles

The book includes many anecdotes that illustrate the author's points, and show the decluttering process in action. There are also many exercises in the book that I could see being helpful.

I think this book will really help me in my ongoing decluttering. It will be helpful for me to access my more intuitive side when I'm going through the process...not just my intellectual side.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page