What is in a minimalist kitchen? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Only three small appliances (microwave, blender, toaster, toaster oven, mixer, crockpot, rice cooker, coffeemaker, etc)
I have a Thermomix, which I use for everything. It replaced my blender, food processor, grain grinder, standmixer, breadmaker, kitchen scales, steamer and stick mixer. My only other small appliances are a toaster and dehydrator.

Quote:
Only three bakeware items (cake pan, muffin pan, cookie sheet, dutch oven, etc)
I am already pretty pared down in this area, but if I had to choose just three, it would be cookie sheet (I have extra large ones because we love to bake cookies!), muffin tin and sqaure pyrex glass oven tray.

Quote:
Only three cookware items (pasta pot, tea pot, sauce pan, skillet, etc)
Large ikea pot with lid (got if for my wedding eight years ago, and it is like new!), cast iron pan and whistling kettle.

Quote:
1 mixing bowl
I have a green ceramic one that I am currently using as a fruit bowl, I would keep that because it is dual purpose.

Quote:
3 SMALL "you picks" (measuring cup? rolling pin? a special holiday item? What would you make room for?)
This one is tough! I would say ... veggie peeler, measuring spoon set and rolling pin.

This is been fun! I am already a kitchen minimalist, but doing this has made me see I could scale back even more!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 01:33 AM

When we backpack, I have to cook for six, out of three little pots on one little burner.

I like all my pots and pans at home.
#33 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Okay, I'll play
Only three small appliances
blender, toaster oven, hand mixer

Only three bakeware items
okay, if you call a dutch oven this I will pick it. One largish roaster pan that doubles as a cookie-sheet type thing, and a loaf pan

Only three cookware items
2 sauce pans and skillet

1 mixing bowl
Stainless steel to double as a double boiler

3 SMALL you pics
measuring cup, measuring spoons, grater

But I would probably be at the neighbor's on a borrowing frenzy quite frequently. I have a super-tiny kitchen but a whole lot more than the above, and I consider us pretty minimalist.
Here's what we do have (and this is easy because they are all in front of me on a tidy rack: toaster oven, electric teapot, coffee maker, french press, blender (antique), hand mixer, electric skillet, small crock pot, three nice knives, can opener, peeler, shears (on the magnet), and hanging up we have a nice stainless steel set of measuring cups, two sets of spoons, some extra plastic ones for dd to "help" with, strainer, collander, grater, glass one cup measure, tupperware 1 qt measure, basting brush, spatula, whisk, tongs, pancake flipper, wooden spoon, ladle, slotted and regular spoon.
Then skillet, small fry pan, and 1, 2, and 3 qt saucepans. two stainless mixing bowls, pie plate, loaf pan and a roasting pan and you have all my needs covered. oh, four each of the corelle white line and some toddler proof ikea plastic crap.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#34 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree_hugger View Post
I have a Thermomix, which I use for everything. It replaced my blender, food processor, grain grinder, standmixer, breadmaker, kitchen scales, steamer and stick mixer.
I thought this sounded so excellent, so went searching and found one for $1300, which appears to be a bargain!

SMC to dd 4/07.
#35 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingletwitz View Post
I thought this sounded so excellent, so went searching and found one for $1300, which appears to be a bargain!
I'm sure that it's supposed to be one of those things, where you add up the cost of all those other things (retail, of course) and it works out that you're actually *saving* money.
#36 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Maybe it would save money in the sense that you could get a cheaper apartment with a smaller kitchen!
#37 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvaine Undomiel View Post
I'm sure that it's supposed to be one of those things, where you add up the cost of all those other things (retail, of course) and it works out that you're actually *saving* money.
It is true that if you were starting a kitchen from scratch, it would be much, much more cost effective to buy a Thermomix rather than all of those individual appliances.

However, I got mine after being married for ten years, so I had a kitchen full of stuff. I Ebayed several of my small appliances (stand mixer, blender, food processor and breadmaker) and Freecycled the rest. That helped to pay for the Thermomix.

For us, the major financial savings have come from how quick and easy it is to prepare whole food meals for the family. For example, I can have fresh breadrolls made from freshly ground wheat and pumpkin soup with no flavours or additives (or peeling the skin!) on the table in less than an hour.

It takes less time to make mushroom risotto in the Thermomix than it would to run to the local takeaway to buy some - and I don't have to stand at the stove stirring, the Thermomix does that, too.

Anyway, I could go on! I'm sure I sound like an infomercial but I really do love my Thermomix and it has totally changed the way I cook and prepare food for my family. My advice to anyone who is interested would be to book a demo. You will be amazed.

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#38 of 42 Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree_hugger View Post
It is true that if you were starting a kitchen from scratch, it would be much, much more cost effective to buy a Thermomix rather than all of those individual appliances.

However, I got mine after being married for ten years, so I had a kitchen full of stuff. I Ebayed several of my small appliances (stand mixer, blender, food processor and breadmaker) and Freecycled the rest. That helped to pay for the Thermomix.

For us, the major financial savings have come from how quick and easy it is to prepare whole food meals for the family. For example, I can have fresh breadrolls made from freshly ground wheat and pumpkin soup with no flavours or additives (or peeling the skin!) on the table in less than an hour.

It takes less time to make mushroom risotto in the Thermomix than it would to run to the local takeaway to buy some - and I don't have to stand at the stove stirring, the Thermomix does that, too.

Anyway, I could go on! I'm sure I sound like an infomercial but I really do love my Thermomix and it has totally changed the way I cook and prepare food for my family. My advice to anyone who is interested would be to book a demo. You will be amazed.
Well, I believe you.

But there is no way I could ever afford it though.
#39 of 42 Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I DO NOT have a minimalistic kitchen but have been thinking about downsizing it a bit. Let me give it a try.

Quote:
I will give you a fridge and an oven as a freebie.. (since most kitchens come with them in my experience)..
- Fridge
- Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi
Only three small appliances (microwave, blender, toaster, toaster oven, mixer, crockpot, rice cooker, coffeemaker, etc)
- Our vitamix blender
- Stand mixer [Bosch - we have the compact one, not too big, not too small perfect for our family]
- 1 pressure cooker (not really an electrical appliance, but this works wonderful for us)

Quote:
Only three bakeware items (cake pan, muffin pan, cookie sheet, dutch oven, etc)
Sorry, I need 5
- square (can use it for cakes, quick breads)
- A strong stainless steel roaster with a lid (roasting meat, veggies, biryani, casseroles, lasagna)
- cookie sheet with a lip
- muffin tray with silicone cupcake inserts
- pizza stone -> I can make free form loaves and pizza on a pizza stone.

Quote:
Only three cookware items (pasta pot, tea pot, sauce pan, skillet, etc)
Sorry, I need 4
- cast iron 3 qt skillet with lid (veggies, omelette, fish or chicken)
- 5 qt sauce pan with lid (pasta, curries, lentil soups etc)
- 3 qt sauce pan with lid (rice or curries)
- 1 qt sauce pan - to warm up milk. DD drinks milk at room temp, not cold, not warm/hot.

Quote:
1 mixing bowl
- Large one to be used as mixing bowl, salad bowl, fruit bowl at diff times. 1 is good, as I can use a saucepan or a serving bowl to mix dry ingredients.

Quote:
3 SMALL "you picks" (measuring cup? rolling pin? a special holiday item? What would you make room for?)
- measuring cups and spoons
- liquid measuring cup
- rolling pin

Quote:
I will assume you need 1 plate, bowl, cup for each family member, and some mixing spoons/spatulas, but what would be minimalist for you here?
4 plates + spoons + forks
4 cups
4 bowls
2 wooden spatulas
3 serving spoons
3 serving bowls (glass bowls with lids - double as storage in the refrigerator)

Besides all these,
1 chef's knife
1 bread knife
1 cutting board
1 IKEA peeler (3.5 yrs and still going strong)
1 whisk
1 cast iron griddle to make dosas (Indian crepes)
1 wrought iron tava (griddle) to make rotis (Indian flatbreads) or pancakes
(no, you cant use one griddle for both)
A stainless steel flip
1 silicon spatula
2 lunch boxes (glass with lid)
a pestle and mortar
1 colander (I'll pick one in stainless steel and that can double as a steamer when kept on the 5 qt sauce pan)

It was fun playing this game, made me think a lot about how many unused stuff I have in my kitchen. Thank you!

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#40 of 42 Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry but I have to protest . I think that a seriously cooking-a-wide-variety-of-foods-from-scratch family's version of a minimalist kitchen will look very different from the kitchen of a we-eat-pasta-a-lot family's (not saying that's you, OP) version of a minimalist kitchen .

There are a lot of things that I live without: slow cooker, microwave, toaster oven, stand mixer, etc. I'm seriously thinking about *adding* a small food processor because I am doing so much salad/veggie prep. It doesn't make sense for me to spend 30 minutes chopping parsley for tabbouleh, for example, or spending tons of time grating root veggies for a salad. Being minimalist in the kitchen doesn't make sense if I'm chopping parsley instead having time to do exercise or relax at the end of the day.

I have lots more pots and baking equip than is mentioned and I use them all regularly. It's not uncommon for me to have 3 dirty pots and 2 dirty baking pans at the end of a day, plus a big soup pot in the fridge with leftovers. I often have a soup pot taken up with just making stock, not making the day's meal.

Many recipes require 2 mixing bowls, and I actually have 3 mixing bowls because I use them for serving big salads and for collecting compost bits when I'm prepping a lot of veggies. If you have nesting mixing bowls, they actually don't take any more room that one .

I haven't read the whole thread, but I use my pressure cooker (pressure steaming hard veggies, doing beans) and my salad spinner a lot and they are definitely must haves. I also use my heavy duty blender and my stick blender regularly (they serve different purposes). Having a small coffee grinder is a blessing if you make Indian food. I have a whisk, scraping spatulas, and various cooking/prepping utensils. Again, it depends on how you eat.

I have 5 knives (one bread, one chopping, one slicing, on paring, one peeling) and I use them all most days.

I have a small collection of food saving containers too, so that we can eat leftovers and bring lunches and snacks without using plastic bags or eating out/eating junk food all the time.

Unless one is living on a boat, I would definitely make room for regularly used kitchen items in other parts of the home if the kitchen is too small. I store canned goods in a vintage trunk in the living room because I *do* have a small kitchen. How we use our kitchens is hugely integral to our health and IMO it makes sense to have just what you need to conveniently provide one's family with tasty, nourishing meals. Having the right tools for the job on hand make it more pleasant and makes it easier.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#41 of 42 Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM

What a fun post!

Only three small appliances

Kitchenaid stand mixer and Vitamix (in my dream kitchen, of course - wish they weren't so pricey)
Microwave (though, in a few years, I'd likely trade the microwave for something else - an air popper for popcorn, maybe? or a convection toaster oven? - it's just so handy right now for the little one to use for simply heating things up)

Only three bakeware items

Cookie sheet (maybe silicone?)
Pyrex bread pan
Le Creuset stoneware casserole dish with lid

Only three cookware items

(Note: we have gotten all our Le Creuset (and Fiestaware) at deep discount because of hubby's employment. If you have the means, though, I highly recommend them)

Le Creuset 5qt. Braiser (would double as a skillet)
Le Creuset 9.5qt. Oval French Oven
Le Creuset 4.25qt. Soup Pot

1 mixing bowl

I think a Pyrex one might be nice....

3 SMALL "you picks"

Definitely a measuring cup
a little nesting set of measuring spoons
a really good knife

I will assume you need 1 plate, bowl, cup for each family member, and some mixing spoons/spatulas, but what would be minimalist for you here?

A Le Creuset jumbo slotted spatula spoon (silicone)
One wooden spatula
One stainless steel ladle

2 Fiestaware Jumbo Mugs
1 Fiestaware 24oz. Gusto Bowl
1 Fiestaware Dinner Plate
2 Fiestaware Salad Plates
3 glasses

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#42 of 42 Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ironically I found I am short some pie pans for Thanksgiving.. hmm.. off to find freeform pie instructions!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page