Gag! Just found rotten potatoes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-25-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was doing some organizing in my kitchen today. I have a kitchen cart with a couple shelves and I have big/decorative/storage baskets on those shelves. I keep my cookbooks in them. I also toss my bags of potatoes on top of them, when I (rarely) have potatoes around. So, today I noticed that the last potatoes I bought were sprouting badly so I decided to toss them out. When I pulled out the basket I found a bag of badly decomposing potatoes in the bottom. They had leaked everywhere and were swarming with bugs. I think everything in the basket was a complete loss, including my favorite cookbook. What a mess. :

It is great motivation to keep up on things and tidy up more often!

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
#2 of 20 Old 07-25-2009, 05:34 PM

I feel for you! I went on a one-week vacation once (during which time we turned the A/C up to 88) and came home to find the forgotten bag of potatos COMPLETELY liquified. It smelled like raw sewage! I couldn't believe how foul it was. :
#3 of 20 Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM

Reminds me of the time we came home from vacation and found a rotten pumpkin. I coud have swore that one of cats must have died or something.
#4 of 20 Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Sorry about your cookbook! I hate when things like that happen.
#5 of 20 Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM

I had that happen with a forgotten bag of them ON my carpet.

And yes it DOES smell like sewage!

Resistance is futile Matey
#6 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 AM

I've done the same thing! HOW can potatoes smell so awful??? Yuck.
#7 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

ewwww. i just got around to cleaning out the cupboard under the fish tank. we finally got rid of the tank (75 gal) and was getting rid of the stuff under it. it is also where w ekept the cat food. there was a pile of cat food at the back the had spilled out. it was so old there were empty maggot skins. we were wondering where the flies where coming from. nasty. so glad we finally cleaned it out. now to do the bedroom closets. wonder what i will find there....

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#8 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for commiserating with me. Although, I'm very sorry that you had similar experiences. But there is something about misery loving company. Haha.

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
#9 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 AM

Blerk! I reckon rotting potatoes is one of the worst smells I've come across (or maybe it's because they seem harmless enough that it really takes you by surprise!). Really gross when you dive your hand into the bag and grab a mushy one.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#10 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM

I can offer some company too! On Monday, we came home from a few days vacation to find:
- moldy corn on the cob in a plastic bag on the counter
- rotting tomatoes that we had left to ripen.

YUCK. Did not please my sensitive pregnant nose.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#11 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
srs

BTDT too, both with potatoes and an onion that got lost in the back of my cupboard while I was first trimester pregnant and too nauseous to clean much. Just made it that much worse.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#12 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM

One time we were looking at a house and the sellers had moved out but left behind things. As we were coming up the bsmt stairs, DH smells something and the realtor turns around to a shelf to see a bag of moldy rotton disgusting potatoes. I also was pregnt.

When the listing agent followed up, she mentioned the potatoes.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#13 of 20 Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM

Eww! I once had DH bring a box in from the car. For some reason he stuck it in the basement (a few of the things in it went down there). It was forgotten about and the potatoes went back in it. All over some curtains and my copy of Wicked. I was sooo ticked!

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#14 of 20 Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Been there! We lived in an apartment with two of DH's friends during my last semester at college. We kept seeing these little gnat looking bugs in the kitchen and had NO idea where they were coming from...then the smell started. We did everything we could think of...poured bleach down the sink, scrubbed the floors, etc... Finally, we pulled out one of the small appliances and found a bag of liquid potatoes sitting behind it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#15 of 20 Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 PM

You can put potatoes in the fridge.
#16 of 20 Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

You can put potatoes in the fridge? Really? I wonder why I thought that was a huge no-no? Or why I never even tried it for myself? LOL Thank you! I'm going to try that next time I get some.

#17 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Rotten potatoes are revolting. Ask me how I know?

The most recent incident... something in my car started smelling rotten. Mind you, the heat index here has been well over 100F many days lately, and sometimes very unexpected things can develop unpleasant odors in a sealed, heated car. Normally if there are weird smells in the car, it's always a tiny bit of food left in a forgotten fast food bag, wedged under the seat or something. Man, I tore that car apart to find that smell. Nothing.

....then I opened the trunk. Liquefied taters and their wormy little friends. :Puke

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#18 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
Blerk! I reckon rotting potatoes is one of the worst smells I've come across (or maybe it's because they seem harmless enough that it really takes you by surprise!). Really gross when you dive your hand into the bag and grab a mushy one.
UGH! I reached in to grab a potato while helping MIL with dinner one night...came up with one slightly mushy so I thought I'd just cut off the mushy part. Turned it over and saw the mushy part had worms

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#19 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
You can put potatoes in the fridge? Really? I wonder why I thought that was a huge no-no? Or why I never even tried it for myself? LOL Thank you! I'm going to try that next time I get some.
Supposedly it makes them kinda meally, though - or at least I think I heard that?? It converts the sugar to starch?
#20 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Yucky!!! I had that happen once ... I couldn't even deal with the cleanup myself. My wonderful DH helped me out -- it was disgusting.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page