How many outfits for each child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need to declutter my children's clothing. I have been avoiding getting rid of a lot of things that still fit as they were gifts or for other reasons. Now I just have way too many. What is a good number of outfits to have each for a 20 mo girl, and a 3.5 yo boy?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#2 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM

I do however many fit nicely into their drawers and closet. I have a 4 drawer dresser for each child. Sock and underwear up top, PJs next, then shirts and then pants. Dresses/dressy clothes in the closet.
I just weeded out my oldests dresser today when putting away the wash. I took everything out, put all of the neatly folded things that she wore last week back in the drawers and filled in with some extras that I had just pulled out of the drawers. The rest is gone.

I'd say she has 10-12 shorts/jeans and top outfits and 5 or 6 dresses in her wardrobe right now. 20 pairs of socks and underwear.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#3 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Well as a mom of two boys 4 & 7 you cannot ever have enough. I swear we go through at least 2-3 changes per day per boy right now. They like to sit in dirt, slide down muddy hills, play with the chickens, etc etc. Then of course they put holes in all knees. Both boys have innumerable shorts and few pants. Though I have noticed my 7 yr old is getting better about dirt and holes in pants while my 4 yr old is on the increase.

I think a good goal would be to work your way through what they have pulling out anything you do not like, is too small or is too stained/ripped. Donate what you can. I hate recommending that you get rid of good clothing that fits because kids grow fast. It is not like it will be around long. Maybe in the future just be more aware of how much they have and try and not replace every item they grow out of. Eventually working your way down to a more manageable number of outfits.
#4 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How often do you do the laundry, and how often do you usually change their clothes per day?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 PM

7-10 outfits plus 2 nice outfits for each child in summer and winter seasons. I do laundry about every 4 days and we rarely run out. My kids are 6,4,2. Other wise the laundry gets out of control.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#6 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM

I have 3 girls - ages 4, 3, and 2. We have WAYYY too many clothes. We use one of our bedrooms for all their clothes. A fairly large closet (not walk in) stores all their shirts and dresses. A large dresser stores undies, socks, pants, and misc. summer and winter things (bathing suits, snow pants, etc.) I think each kid has about 15 to 20 dresses, 40 pants and shorts, and there are most definitely hundreds of t-shirts and tank tops. I have a real thrift store problem. LOL!! I can't even begin to count how many hundreds of outfits I have donated or handed down because they just turned out to not be a favorite. Luckily, my kids don't really care what they wear yet, so it's all about my taste.

Ultimately, I'd love to have 10 or so of everything per child. It would make our laundry situation so much easier. I'll be checking back here for solutions.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#7 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM

one tip: don't keep it just because it was a gift. if you still feel guilty then maybe take a picture if the kid wearing the gift outfit before you give it away. that way if it is ever asked about by the giver you can pull out the pic and talk about how much it was loved but then say something happened to it and you got rid of it. i am not suggesting lying but maybe there really was a big stain on it...or a large hole in it

i tend to get rid of lots of gifted stuff because it does not peacefully fit into our lives (such as it is made of a material i consider dangerous)

::
#8 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 AM

I can relate to having amazing amounts of clothing for my girls~there is just so much cute stuff out there! Luckily for my wallet almost all of them are hand me downs, which also brings on the guilt of getting rid of things.

I rotate the clothes. I keep maybe 12 -15 outfits and a weeks worth of socks and undies out for each kid and it's easy to keep it managed. When either my kids or I get bored or clothes are getting worn I switch out some of the outfits.
#9 of 9 Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM

we're at 21 mos, and we have approximately --

7-10 shorts
12 short-sleeved tops, including t-shirts
7 long-sleeved shirts
3 nicer summer outfits (linen pants, cute shorts-set)
4 swim trunks

15 pairs of socks, all exactly the same
3 pairs sneakers (one a little small, one just right, one a little big)
1 pair sandals
3 baseball caps

too many sweaters/sweatshirts, all gifts

T-shirts and knit shorts knit rotate in as pjs. We don't have clothing that was obtained specifically to be pjs.

We have too many long pants (12 pair?), but I'm not getting rid of any until he starts wearing them more often in the fall. Then I weed out the ones that don't get worn, and I try to acquire a few more pairs that are like the ones that get worn the most.

Things that I don't like but that fit, I send to daycare as extra clothing.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page