On your kitchen counter - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im not a fan of to much stuff on the counters so most of the stuff I have in cupboards. I have 3 counters. The first one has the microwave. The second in a corner I have flour/sugar/oat containers stacked on top of each other and by the stove I have a knife block. On the 3rd counter I have the telephone since its the only telephone jack in the apartment.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#32 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM

I have a pretty large kitchen. I have about 14 running feet of counter space total. I have a small microwave on one- w/ the phone/answering machine on it. By the sink there are 2 counters- one on each side. There is nothing that stays out on either side- although sometimes the juicer is out. On the one side of the stove I keep a small food processer and on the other side is the blender.

I really abhor clutter but the food processer and blender get used enough to justify them being out. For several months I had the juicer out but since pregnant I haven't juiced as much so it is up. If I crockpot cook it goes on the right counter to the stove. We have a toaster but it is very, very rarely used. It is in dh's cabinet as it is glutened. I have an icecream maker but that only gets out when used and then put away.

Besides the toaster all other appliances are kept in a large cabinet above the refrigerator. It is not the most convenient but until my laundry/pantry room is done it is the best I have.

I sort through mail when it comes- junk immediately gets thrown away- bills and such go to a basket on my desk to be taken care of- dishes are washed, dried and put away at once as I got tired of looking at the always full dish drainer.

Oh- I forgot I also have butcher block island in the middle of the kitchen- it is about 4-5 ft long. I don't keep anything out on that either though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#33 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM

I only keep things on the counter that get used every day. Well, that plus my red Kitchen Aid but that's just cause I like looking at it. That keeps it down to the electric water boiler, knife block, cutting board, and dish soap. There are typically odds and ends like drying dishes or something waiting to be washed too.

Everything else stays in the cabinets, our corner cabinet is not the easiest to access so I put the small appliances there. The less used stuff goes in the back and the more often used (toaster, rice cooker, food processor) at the front. I do agree that cabinet space is really helpful though, even if it's cluttered at least you can close the doors.
#34 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM

I don't like to keep things on the counter if I can help it. I have two ceramic utensil holders for spatulas, wisks, etc. I have a knife block, a wine rack, a electronics valet (to plug in cell phones, etc) and a fruit basket. All appliances are in cabinets, etc.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#35 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
My biggest tips are: Haven't used it in a year sell it. Don't keep duplicates of things unless you frequently use 2, *such as two people working on a similar task so you need two of the same tools.*.

Put as many things in cupboards as possible, they stay cleaner and leave you with room.

Ditch the microwave.

I went through last year and went crazy- who needs 6 florist bouquet vases? And no one needs a myriad of weird cups and glasses and plates- unless your theme is mismatched. I had matched stuff, and the strays were just annoying- ruining my ability to easily stack in the dishwasher and cupboards, and having to remember melamine Dora bowl goes into the stack third after the big stoneware bowl, and then underneath that put the fiestaware. Hello headache solved~!
I think I may have 6 florist vases. I have only ever used 1 of them when someone buys me flowers. Most of them my mom gave me when she cleaned out her house before moving three years ago and I've NEVER used them, but they are tucked inside a cupboard above the washing machine in the bathroom.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#36 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM

I have a dish drying rack, a microwave, a knife block, a toaster oven, and about enough free counter space for a postage stamp.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#37 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Flour Mill, basket full of utensils, basket full of towels, yogurt maker (that could be put away), straw holder (small), cookbook holder (to use while cooking).
#38 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Coffee maker, 3 ceramic canisters(flour, sugar, coffee), ipod docking station, phone, tiered wired fruit bowl, ceramic rooster spoon holder I got from Spain.
#39 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post
I have a hard time keeping my kitchen counters clean...so I'm wondering if I have too many appliances. So what do you keep on your counter?

Also, what systems do you have in place to keep other "junk" from accumulating?
Left to right, in my U-shaped kitchen:

*coffee maker
*dish rack
*knife block
*utensil crock

I keep on the counter only what is used at least once a day. I keep clutter at bay by putting things away a.s.a.p.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#40 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 PM

hmm...good question! toaster oven, kitchen aid mixer, cutting board, crock for spatulas and fruit bowel. i also have a magnetic knife strip on the cabinet by the sink.

we have a tiny kitchen...i wish i had room to keep a few more things out, but such is life.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#41 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Used to be next to nothing...when we lived in a house with 3x the storage as the apartment we're currently in. Right now we have a small microwave, knife block, ceramic untensil holder, paper towel holder and our two cutting boards that slide into the space between the microwave and the wall. I ended up buying a shelf unit that sits in the dining room and that is holding our Kitchen Aid mixer, blender, toaster, food processer and my pile of cookbooks. Without those shelves I wouldn't have any counter space left at all.
#42 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 PM

We have a toaster oven, coffee maker, & knife block on our counter.

ETA - And paper towel holder & utensil holder.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#43 of 53 Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 AM

We have a large kitchen, roughly 12x14 feet of floor space, which is larger on two walls for cabinets (L-shape). However, the counter space is minimal.

Between the fridge and stove is about a foot of counter space and we have a pretty crystal tray with our Vitamix base on it. (The containers are in a lower cabinet.) The tray makes it easy to slide it out to use it. The base fits easily under the cabinet above and we use it often, but the full Vitamix - base + container - is too tall to be slid to the back of the counter. We need the space in front to set things taken out of the fridge and/or for food prep/cooking. This is where we set the crock pot when in use, for example. Otherwise, the crockpot is stored in a cabinet.

In the corner... between the stove and the sink... is the only real work space. The space next to the stove is just under a foot wide and we keep a glass cutting board there for food prep. The knife block is just to the right of it back against the wall. (The toaster oven is mounted to the cabinet above the cutting board and the knife block doesn't fit under the toaster oven.) That is it for that entire wall! Turn 90 degrees and there is counter space about 2 feet wide between the corner and the sink. In the far back corner is the KitchenAid stand mixer. It won't fit inside a cabinet and it matches the kitchen decor, so I'm okay with it out all the time. We do have to lift it up in order to pull it out to a usable position due to those darn rubber feet. We currently have it on another glass cutting board just because we already had it and were hoping the feet wouldn't stick to it as much as the countertop, but they do and I just haven't tried something new yet. Also on this counter is the utensil crock (next to KA), hand soap, hand lotion, and little handmade sponge holder that I use to hold steel wool for cleaning our stainless steel cookware (all the little things look neat and tidy next to the sink).

Between the sink and the doorway is a counter as big as the dishwasher. That is all that is below it and there is just a wall above it. Oh, how we wish the builders had installed a cabinet there!!!! It would have made our large kitchen that is currently a "one butt" kitchen into a "two butt" kitchen simply because one person could handle dishes in that space while someone else handled food prep/cooking in the other usable space. As it is now, only one person can really work in the kitchen at a time and has to choose between dishes and food. (BTW, we tried to match our cabinets many, many times to add one to this space. No can do without replacing ALL the cabinets, which isn't in our financial plans for awhile, or having an obvious mismatch, which is not okay with me, or installing a custom cabinet in this space and painting all of them the same, which is not okay with DH. He hates painted cabinets and stains don't work for these cabinets. We've seen sooo many kitchens in our development! ) Anyway, this countertop only has the liquid dish soap in a pretty bottle on it when it is clear. I also put a barmop towel here for dishes to dry after handwashing once a day after dinner. It is cleared off most mornings. Since this counter is right by the entrance to the rest of the house (which has very few flat surfaces), it is a constant battle to keep it cleared off. At this very moment, a plant is on it along with extra furniture protectors and a decorative tile and something just purchased that goes up in a high spot in the laundry room (around the corner). The other items are there because we just finished months of home repairs after a MAJOR flood and haven't quite gotten the project room back to order. All these go in there and don't have an official home yet. When DD wants to help cook, we clear this counter off and set her up on a stool in the walkway and one of us stands in front of the dishwasher to assist her as needed. The main food prep area doesn't work for little helpers. We didn't like to use the kitchen table for food prep when we had tile floors because of the higher chance of something falling and breaking getting it between the table and counter/stove. Now that we have cork floors, though, we've been using the table for DD to assist in food prep. Things still drop, but they don't break anymore!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#44 of 53 Old 08-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Also, what systems do you have in place to keep other "junk" from accumulating?

everything has a "home"/place - if it adoes not than it gets one week to find a home or it get thrown out!

we're lucky enough to have a small home office space ---
there is a hook for everyne's keys,
a hook for my bag
a place to charge the phones
incoming mail
to be filed
a place for sun glasses
a place for DH wallet
a place to charge my mp3 player (for when I actually run)
kid stuff go in there room with a similar system

also I', kinda a lable nazi - but my DH actually likes it b/c then he knows where everthing goes....with the kids I put a picture with the word and it helping them learn to read!

: wife to DH, mom to DD (2004) DS (2005) DS (2007) DS (2009)

#45 of 53 Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Our kitchen counter was used to be so full with all sorts of stuff. I recently remodeled it and now... Thank god, I've found a way to declutter my kitchen in style. I have installed kitchen cabinets from Greentea Designs.. and now my kitchen is now a dream!
#46 of 53 Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
here's my kitchen.....

photo #1

photo #2

photo #3

.......this is how it always looks, unless i'm in the middle of cooking/baking. we keep most of our small appliances in a cabinet in our dining room buffet (which is right in the next room) as our kitchen is very small.
OMG! What an awesome kitchen you have! It is so cute...I love Fiestaware, too...

#47 of 53 Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie's momma View Post
Left to right, in my U-shaped kitchen:

*coffee maker
*dish rack
*knife block
*utensil crock

I keep on the counter only what is used at least once a day. I keep clutter at bay by putting things away a.s.a.p.
I forgot to list the paper towel dispenser, located to the right of the knife block. I should add that two of my upper cabinets are glass fronted. Therefore, I am able to display the glassware and Fiestaware...but, it is still "put away."

#48 of 53 Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 AM

I struggle with this too. I do have some stuff on my counter. I finally figured that I live there- I cook, clean, feed people, so it's going to have a few items on it. What I DO try to get rid of daily is just the general clutter that shows up- receipts, things my dh emptied form the dishwasher and didn't know where they went and any other item that just doesn't belong sitting out.

I have a knife rack, the vitamix that I use every day, the toaster. I usually have a jar of fermenting kefir and maybe a bowl of no knead bread sealed. I have good storage space, but nothing crazy, so I like to keep them out. I keep my giant olive oil bottle and monin coffee syrup bottles out too, a jar with wooden spoons and spatulas, I think that's all. On the island is a bowl with any fruit, recipe I want to try that day, bread, etc. By the door a little bowl with wallet, keys, phone, etc. (convenient location).

I love the look of NOTHING on the counters, but that would just be a pain for me I think. I don't have many major appliances though. For coffee we just use a little espresso maker or french press that I tuck away. Just try to keep the little stuff out and back in its place.
#49 of 53 Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
A lot of things that don't belong.
same here! lol

My kitchen is a small U with the fridge/pantry on the open end and the sink on the bottom of the U (pretty much takes up the whole side). Starting on the left & working around I have: 2 wooden cutting boards standing on end, 2 canisters of pasta, *stove top here*, utensil crock, electric kettle, microwave turned 45 degrees in the corner... ***sink*** Counter top water filter/chiller. Then in the no mans land corner on the counter/bar on the dining room side is the fruit bowl of doom anything and everything ends up in this da*n bowl despite my best efforts :

I am totally ditching that bowl tomorrow dangit!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#50 of 53 Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie's momma View Post
OMG! What an awesome kitchen you have! It is so cute...I love Fiestaware, too...
thank you! it's become one of my favorite rooms in the house to spend time in!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#51 of 53 Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM

Only a blender and a deep fryer. The deep fryer actually sits right up next to the side of the fridge, so you can't really see it. I keep my crockpot, toaster, and bread machine in lower kitchen cabinets and get them out only when I'm using them.
#52 of 53 Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 AM

Our kitchen is a galley style with two long counters down each side. On one side is the electric kettle, the microwave and the mixer, and my little cd player/radio. I also keep a bowl of fruit on that side and one end tends to collect clutter as it's nearest the table and the kids' art projects get placed on the counter when it's dinner time. Oh and that side of the kitchen has the sink and a dishdrainer on it.

On the other side of the kitchen, the counter has the cooktop on it, and is deeper than normal counters - something I really recommend if you are renovating - the counter is 28 inches deep instead of the standard 24 and that 4 inches makes a big difference. On that side to the right of the cooktop is the toaster oven, a couple of jars with utensils and a couple small canisters with rice and pasta. On the other side of the cooktop is my prep area with a knife block and regularly used oils and seasonings lined up along the back.
#53 of 53 Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Only my coffee pot (which I use every morning), spice rack (which I'm considering getting rid of and keeping them all in a basket in the cabinet), ceramic utensil holder in the shape of an old pitcher, and a red canister with sugar. Oh, and I have a decorative platter with a rooster on it and a really pretty glass lemonade jug (the kind with the spout). It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't because we have a TON of counter space.

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page