On your kitchen counter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a hard time keeping my kitchen counters clean...so I'm wondering if I have too many appliances. So what do you keep on your counter?

Also, what systems do you have in place to keep other "junk" from accumulating?

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#2 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Going around the long C-shape of my counter: peninsula that is where I do most of the food prep and where dd plays while in her Learning Tower, so I keep that the clearest. In the corner is a few odds and ends, mostly fruit, bread, garlic, butter dish. Then there's the stove, small section of counter with 2 cooking utensil crocks on it, sink, drainboard, and in the corner a toaster and compost crock. The last section of counter is where junk accumulates, but it's also where i set things when I'm emptying the dishwasher, so it drives me nuts when there are tools there that haven't made their way back downstairs or library books or whatever. All of my small appliances are kept in a cupboard and taken out only when in use. I think it helps that I have a big kitchen with lots of room to spread things out.
#3 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From left to right in a semi-circle. Knife rack.. under the counter mounted toaster oven...... skip across sinks to jars of sugar, flour and such, george forman grill...... skip across stove to tea sugar in a ceramic dish with spoon rest and little pot of honey..........skip across a doorway the remaining counter has a crockpot and a set of cookbooks

Everything else resides either in my island cupboards or in my under the stairs closet if I use it more rarely.
#4 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM

My toaster oven, my kitchen aid mixer, my knife block, a pot for wooden spoons etc and my drying dishes.
#5 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post
I have a hard time keeping my kitchen counters clean...so I'm wondering if I have too many appliances. So what do you keep on your counter?

Also, what systems do you have in place to keep other "junk" from accumulating?
I have a microwave and coffee pot on my counter. I have a dish drainer on the tiny counter. I keep the crock pot and toaster in below counter cupboards and only pull those out while in use.

My husband stacks mail on top of the microwave, which drives me nuts. I have to sort the mail: throw away or place in bill folder.
Broken items that have no place, but I can't throw away in case we fix it or might need it end up in the kitchen window sill. Batteries are behind the microwave (the microwave is at an angle in the corner, so there is a triangular space between it and the wall).

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#6 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM

As for appliances, the only ones that are out on the counters are the toaster and the coffee pot. Oh, and the coffee bean grinder. I have enough cabinet space, but they get used often enough to warrant being left out and they are stainless steel colored - so they match my big appliances.

Other than that I have SS canisters, various baskets of fruits and veggies, 2 plants, and then a variety of mail, magazines, paperwork and other crap (like random legos) that have accumulated recently. I *try* and keep them clear, but the clutter still wins most of the time. I LOVE clean, clear countertops, but need to work on it b/c we have plenty of counter space and it seems like it just attracts junk. It's too easy to set stuff down when walking through the kitchen.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
crl

We have a tiny kitchen. Regularly out on my counters are the cannisters for white flour, wheat flour and sugar, the dish drainer and a wooden cutting board. We don't drink coffee, don't have a microwave and don't use the toaster all that often. I have a magnetic strip for knives and a couple of hanging racks that hold utensils and my most-often used pots/pans.

Junk definitely accumulates but I have to clear it off fairly often to be able to cook just because the kitchen is so small.

Catherine
#8 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM

oops, double post

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#9 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 PM

My kitchen counters hold a microwave and toaster oven to the left of the stove, a crockpot, little food processor, grinder, and blender to the right of the stove, and baskets and bowls of fruits and veggies to the right of that. My peninsula is supposed to only hold the kids' cups they re-use all day long, but it often holds stuff in progress or on its way somewhere else.

I keep junk from accumulating by clearing it away daily.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#10 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Bread is next to the fridge, then mixer, then toaster, then coffee maker, oven, then juicer, then sink, then clean space for prep, then at the end is where i stack stuff I need to go through like mail.

Live and love with your whole being.
#11 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 PM

A lot of things that don't belong.
#12 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Three appliances: a coffee maker that could be put away since we haven't used it in more than a year. An electric water kettle for the coffee plunger we now use instead of the coffee machine. And the great big Kitchen Aide mixer.

Appliances, however aren't the problem, papers are. I have no 'system' to keep other junk from accumulating, and the counters are cluttered from one end to the other. I get the island counter with the sink cleared completely every three or four days. It stays clear for about 10 minutes. :

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#13 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM

My kitchen is teeny tiny. I don't have the space to put things away in cupboards when not in use so now my counter is filled (along the back) with appliances.

I have: An electric mixer, A pretty glass/silver container, Ice cream/frozen yogurt maker, Electric kettle, Coffee maker, Oversized platter with tea and sugar jars on top of it.
There isn't really any room between each item.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#14 of 53 Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM

I have a lot of counter space, but it's a long narrow kitchen so a lot of it feels useless.

1 foot counter, keys, wallets ect.
Stove, Sink
3 foot counter, utensil holder, towel for drying dishes
Other side
3 foot counter, big napkin holder, Kitchenaid and toaster
Fridge
3 foot counter, cookie jar, salt, sugar jars, salt and pepper grinder.

We just moved the microwave to the laundry room and it cleared up sooo much space! We never use it anyway.
#15 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 AM

A jug (kettle) and toaster.

It's complicated.
#16 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 AM

Microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#17 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Oh, and I remember reading is some clutter free book you should only keep appliances out if you use them more than 2x a week. That's the guideline I use here...

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#18 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM

My countertops are actually pretty clear. I keep my KitchenAid Mixer, a toaster and a coffeemaker on the counter. Oh, and a utensil crock. That's it. Makes life easy.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#19 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Oh, and I remember reading is some clutter free book you should only keep appliances out if you use them more than 2x a week. That's the guideline I use here...
It's a good idea...in theory. But I certainly don't have any place to put the small appliances when not in use.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#20 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM

We have lots of cabniet space, more than counter space, so sitting out we have the microwave, a butter crock and a knife block.
#21 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
2xy

We have one of those long, skinny, galley style kitchens. The stove is at one end of the counter and the sink is at the other end. The other wall has nothing but the baseboard heaters.

From stove to sink we have a knife rack, container with utensils such as spatulas and wooden spoons, butter dish, salt and pepper mills, canisters for flour/sugar/coffee, and a dish rack. Oh, and the Magic Bullet which I use daily for pulverizing my dog's supplements that he won't eat unless I mix it with his food.

All of my other kitchen appliances are kept on the shelves of the microwave cart, which is in the dining area.
#22 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Only one appliance - toaster oven

We keep our bread and sometimes cookies on the counter.
#23 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to our decluttering forum

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#24 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM

here's my kitchen.....

photo #1

photo #2

photo #3

.......this is how it always looks, unless i'm in the middle of cooking/baking. we keep most of our small appliances in a cabinet in our dining room buffet (which is right in the next room) as our kitchen is very small.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#25 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 AM

The Kitchen Aid, and the electric water boiler is always there. And things like tomatoes, butter and garlic in bowls in a corner. And we have the coffee maker on the stove, and the coffee bean grinder right next to it.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#26 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm spoiled but just and idea for any of you that are building(or looking at buying)...I have a butlers pantry. Basically it is a huge oversized pantry that has a counter with tons of outlets. All of my appliances are plugged in there. The one exception is my kitchen aid which is on a special shelf that lifts out of a cabinet in my kitchen. While we were looking at house plans none of them had this feature but I was tired of my kitchen looking crowded because I love to cook and actually use my many appliances. When we finally gave up on plans and went with a custom design every single designer argued with me about the size and existence of my pantry. I stuck to my guns and am so glad I did. I also included a laundry chute in there even though every one told me it was a waste. Best thing ever!

In my actual kitchen I do have canisters that hold flour and sugar and a fruit basket.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#27 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 PM

We have a Vitamix and a juicer ... and that's it for our counter, lol. We're minimalists, though. Everything else fits into cabinets for us. And we have one of those magnet thingies on the wall for our knives.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#28 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM

The only appliances I have on my counter are my mixer, because it is to big to put in a cupboard, and the toaster and coffee maker since they get used daily.

Something else I do which helps to keep things looking tidy is put the small things like the butter crock, salt and pepper, etc. in little tray like baskets.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#29 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
It's a good idea...in theory. But I certainly don't have any place to put the small appliances when not in use.
No one's kitchen is smaller than mine. I bet no one's house here is smaller than mine. I would bet that you have more appliances than I do.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#30 of 53 Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM

I have a TINY kitchen in a really big old house.

I only have actual countertops on either side of the sink and they are maybe 2 ft each. Then I have about a 4 ft woodblock thing beside the stove, that's it! I also only have ONE outlet, and it's on the right side of the sink.

So it looks like this:

Empty countertop beside the sink beside countertop with coffee maker on it.

Then there is a fridge on one wall all alone (it's a small wall in between to doorways that enter into the kitchen- which all together has 4 entrances running through it, hence no countertops.

Then there is a stove with a the long woodblock, and on top of the woodblock sits: Red stand mixer, canisters of flour/sugar/tea, a utensil crock, olive oil and canola oil, and a big flat electric cooktop for tortillas and pancakse etc. If I'm doing full on cooking I put the electric cooktop away to make room.

Otherwise I just generally mutter under my breath as I drop/burn and get frustrated with things due to having no room for anything.

I keep inside my scant # of cupboards the: food processor, blender, and that's all my appliances. Well I have a full size movie theater popcorn cart, but it doesn't fit on the counter it's as tall as me. LOL don't ask.

I use to have pictures of my kitchen, but they are on my other computer which died.

I'll see if I can find them on a disk.

My biggest tips are: Haven't used it in a year sell it. Don't keep duplicates of things unless you frequently use 2, *such as two people working on a similar task so you need two of the same tools.*.

Put as many things in cupboards as possible, they stay cleaner and leave you with room.

Ditch the microwave.

I went through last year and went crazy- who needs 6 florist bouquet vases? And no one needs a myriad of weird cups and glasses and plates- unless your theme is mismatched. I had matched stuff, and the strays were just annoying- ruining my ability to easily stack in the dishwasher and cupboards, and having to remember melamine Dora bowl goes into the stack third after the big stoneware bowl, and then underneat that put the fiestaware. Hello headache solved~!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page