Furniture rearrangers unite... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK come one, come all and admit your dirty lil secret. You love to move around furniture. You have woken up family at 12am moving furniture. people comment "your furniture is moved again".

Say it together..."Hi my name is mommaof3boz and I rearrange furniture all the time"
#2 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello my name is Thriftyqueen and I, too, am a chronic furniture arranger. People are always commenting that I rearrange my house all the time. This includes decor and furniture. I admit it is a little crazy, but I enjoy change. It makes my house feel new and fresh. I feel like it is stagnant when I don't change things up a bit!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM

This is so me! It started when I was a teen, I would rearrange my bedroom all the time. My DH never knows what the situation will be when he comes home from work. Couple of weeks ago he came home and I had turned our dining room into a sitting/breakfast room. I am also a big mover. I love to pull up stakes and take off for parts unkown. I think moving the furniture and house around makes it easier for me to stay in one place.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#4 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 PM

I love rearranging furniture. The livingroom furniture I have right now limits the ways I can arrange them in my house...I basically have 2 choices. (Except I do want to switch the TV and recliner eventually, but the cable cord isn't long enough to put the TV where I want it, so when I can find a decent price on one, I'll move the TV...lol

I hadn't moved the furniture around in our current place since we moved in last November...But found my air conditioner is now running more efficiently since moving the TV...The thermostat was right behind it before, and I think the hot air coming from the TV was making the thermostat think it's hotter in here than it was..So it doesn't run constantly now and freeze us out. I'm hoping the electric bill takes a nosedive so I can show Sweetie and say, "Seeee? I'm not crazy! I'm saving MONEY!" LOL
#5 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 02:08 AM
WCM

Hello, my name is WCM, and no one but me can find anything in our house ever because I'm forever decluttering/rearranging things so everything is being moved. Just yesterday DS woke up and asked 'Mom where's the toster?" because in the night, I rearranged the kitchen and am now decluttering the cupboards.

Love the thread title.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#6 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 02:08 AM

ohmygosh I SOOOO belong here! I honestly thought I was the only person who recreationally moves furniture LOL

I actually have a friend who told me he'd be really confused if he walked into my house and it was arranged in the same way...hehhe

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#7 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Hi, My name is Skylarjulesmom and I am a 2nd generation furniture rearranger. I learned from my mom. Wow that feels so much better.
#8 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM

OMG! We have a group??!!

DH and I have been known to change entire rooms (like switching bedrooms b/w the kids' and ours).

DH would do it weekly if he had the time. He loves to "See how this would look"!

So, yeah, my name is darcy, and I love to change the furniture aorund.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#9 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

I'm Rachel and I am a third generation furniture mover

My grandma also known as Rachel was famed for her re-arrangements of rooms and only calmed down when she could no longer move the furniture herself. She settled for having a bedroom for autumn/winter and the other for spring summer and just moved herself from one to the other according to the season.

My mum is not so bad now....

Sometimes I measure the furniture to see if it will fit elsewhere but sometimes I don't... This week I have moved shelving from the living room to the upstairs landing and re-arranged the girls stuff on the shelves in the living room. I've moved the beds in our bedroom too which is good

At the moment I do it because we live in a tiny house and are not likely to move any time in the near future so I keep trying to make the best of what we have. The alternative is lying down and crying about it which is tempting sometimes but isn't really my thing.
#10 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

My people, my people here you are!!! I have been looking for my kind for years and they are all lurking MDC. LOVE IT!!
#11 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM

My husband will be thrilled at the encouragement I get here! It's taken 7 years and he's finally getting used to my re-arranging. I get it from my mom. She was in heaven when we had a huge walk-out basement to re-arrange and I was old enough to help her carry large pieces of furniture up and down the stairs. :-P

We're currently looking at building and I'm evaluating plans on their re-arrange-ability. Shhhh. DH doesn't know that I'm already thinking about it.

MY living room get re-arranged at leat 4 times a year, and DD's bedroom at least 2 times a year. Unfortunately our room and DS's room are harder to move stuff around because of what's in them. Right now I'm contemplating moving my desk into the living room from the dining room- but I think I'll miss sitting my the sliding glass door. Hm.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#12 of 35 Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 PM
srs

Okay, I'm not one of you, but I married into a family of three generations of furniture movers. My DH will be thrilled that you're here. I think at 90 his grandmother no longer moves furniture herself, but she gets her sons to do it for her.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#13 of 35 Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ah yes but you are guilty by association...
#14 of 35 Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM

Furniture is meant to be moved:

Changes the mood and the energy and I love it.
#15 of 35 Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 AM

I love to rearrange furniture and also to switch rooms so they don't serve the same function anymore. But DH hates it. Absolutely hates it. So I hold back wayyyy more than I want to. But my sister was in town last week and we rearranged the living room and boy it felt good.
#16 of 35 Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 AM

: Hee Hee! I positively giddy!! I love to rearange, it is my universal cure-all.
Bored? in a funk? move that junk!!!
My mom was a rearanger too, I banged my shins many atime on rearanged furniture in the night. I don't think anything makes me feel quite so good as a freshly redone room.
But like the pp, my dh is not on board, so everytime he deploys, I move stuff! Of course that probably just makes it worse for him...
#17 of 35 Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM

I do so love the feel of a freshly cleaned and rearranged room.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#18 of 35 Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Oh my, i soooo belong here
I have rearranged my furniture since i was able to myself, probably around 12 or so.

My husband thinks it s crazy but i love how the whole room can feel new just by moving the same stuff around.

I am getting excited because later this evening i get to move around our upstairs office.

I reorganize little things, like cupboards, when i don't have the time to do larger projects like the living room. I love organizing too, my whole family thinks its bizare that every time they come and visit there is at least one room that is different. My mom wasn't able to visit for like 3 months, and we had rearranged every. single. room. She was confused.

One room that bugs me is the bathroom, because its really hard to move things that are attached to the walls I totally would if i could though.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#19 of 35 Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
My people, my people here you are!!! I have been looking for my kind for years and they are all lurking MDC. LOVE IT!!
Totally. This is awesome. My husband thinks I'm crazy. But I sent him a link to this thread and wrote, "See, I'm not so crazy after all. Or maybe I'm just part of a group of crazies now. :-p" hee

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#20 of 35 Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

My livingroom...hmm. I live in a old home, 1904. Two HUGE windows and two doors in it. And of course not one wall doesn't have one or the other. I have messed with this room so many times. I have promised not to move all the DIsh TV wires for a bit but everything else is fair game. It has rained here for 6 days and I am feeling a bit bored/cramped etc. Also my kitchen and pantry...Good thing its only 330 for I might be up late tonight lol
#21 of 35 Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes, me too! drive DH batty because he hates moving furniture..lol poor man!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#22 of 35 Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM

My long lost sisters!!!!!! lol.
Here I was browsing topics daydreaming about what room I should move around today
Right now our house is so small that it is hard to move much around, but I make it work As a teen I used to change my room around 1x a month.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#23 of 35 Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM

In HS/college, I was known for rearranging while my roomie slept. Including the bed with a sleeping roomie in it.

I don't rearrange so often now, only twice a year. Sometimes. Or six times, maybe. Hmm.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#24 of 35 Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM

I LOVE to rearrange furniture, but have limited opportunities to do so - we have big furniture and fairly small rooms, so there aren't a lot of options for furniture placement. And I have to do it when my family is out of the house, because they think I'm nuts!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#25 of 35 Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM

I love rearranging furniture too. Unfortunately, I'm finding that this house is too small and the rooms are too awkwardly shaped in terms of usable space to do very much of it. I'm currently having a bit of trouble trying to plan out my living room to include a small dining area. Oh for a bigger space!

If anyone wants to take a peek and make some suggestions, I'd be more than willing to read them. http://rainberryblue.blogsome.com/2009/08/22/simplify/

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#26 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Peggy=I love a challenge. For the dining set, since space is at premium, I'd go with something along these lines http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca.../series/12389/ butted up against the half wall. The simplify sign could hang right above the table. The big green couch needs to be sold along with the tv cabinet. I would also get rid of the small table thats sitting beside it. Use the trunk to store toys and use it as a coffee table. Slide the tv over to the left and put the chair on the right of it at angle. The loveseat should go directly in front of tv where the green couch is now. If you hate that door, I would run a long curtain rod all the way across that wall. Put six curtains across it, leaving them closed in the middle/in front of the door and just open the outer two in front of the windows. Be bold with that fabric and pull color out of it and put a nice 5X8 rug under the trunk. Bring the color into a table cloth or table runner on the dining table. Repeat the curtains at the window by the table and you can close them to hide ac unit when not in use. On the half wall I would relocate your bamboo plants that are on your tv cabinet. And consider a hanging candle holder right above the half wall.
#27 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Quick fly-by post on my way to bed. I have to be up and on the road tomorrow at 7:30 - that's only five hours! Just wanted to say that I LOVE that Norden table!!! It doesn't seem to be on the Canadian site though. Booooooo! I'm considering the Jokkmokk one because a) it's cheap and 2) it's available and 3) it's classic. Will continue to look though. I'm not buying anything yet.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#28 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

rearranged my living room. vaccumed under couches and in couches. It seems so fresh. ahh
#29 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM

I belong here I have been rearranging rooms since I was literally 10 and could move some furniture. My mother would get home from work and her house would be totally different. My sister and I would also switch rooms as kids that was always fun! Now that I am pregnant I have my fiance move things around I have also debated on switching our room and Ds's room before the baby gets here we could paint Ds's room for us and Ds could pick a color and maybe border for him! His room is way bigger and then he could still have his toddler bed in our room and the hammock would fit good in there also for the little bean!

I have also switched the furniture from the familyroom to the livingroom I am also a paintaholic I love to repaint rooms and the feeling of freshness and the way that color totally changes the feel of a room.

One othere thing that i have done is when I want a TV in a different spot I have actually drilled a hole and bought new cable line to make it possible :

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#30 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM

Uh yes. I do this. It's like getting a whole new furniture set without having to spend a dime...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page