Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in. Better late than never!
#122 of 149 Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Thalia- that must feel great (getting rid of the old owner's leftover stuff). When I was in grad school I moved a lot from one cheap apt to another and I found that just a plain old NEW shower curtain from the dollar store did so much to make the space "feel" clean and personal.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#123 of 149 Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Children's rooms this week! Is anyone else using guest bedroom week next week for kid's bedrooms too?

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#124 of 149 Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
I'm in. Better late than never!
Me too! I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment (DS and I have been gone for a week, so just getting the house back into "normal chaos" has taken all morning so far!).

But I can already tell that the mindset is setting in - every room I go into, I think, "Oooh, when it's time for this room, I'm going to tackle this, and this and this..." But not getting caught up in the doing quite yet.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#125 of 149 Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75 View Post
Children's rooms this week! Is anyone else using guest bedroom week next week for kid's bedrooms too?
I failed dismally at master bedrooms last week (Got as far as taking down, shaking out, and re-hanging the curtains, and then got permanently side-tracked...) so I plan to do much better at the kids' rooms this week!

We were out of town this past weekend and just got home about an hour ago, so I will be starting this week tomorrow, I think.
#126 of 149 Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM

My big goal for my daughter's room is to get all her outgrown clothes washed and packed for storage in case we have another girl. I haven't done this in a while and she's two so there are lot of clothes to go through.

I also want to rethink her toy storage. Right now things tend to dissolve into piles pretty quickly. We have a nice bookshelf but she can't reach anything on it. Her toys are on and under a small IKEA coffeetable, with a few bins. I think I need to pare them down and then put related things into boxes to make for easier pick up.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#127 of 149 Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Well, I did the toys! So far, so good. We got a small bag together for the trash, a small box to pack away for future kids, and a big bag to Freecycle. This very much needed to be done, as my older DD turns 4 next month and Christmas comes right after so the end of the year always results in a mass migration of toys into our house which usually leaves me too overwhelmed to tackle the purging project.

Today, I'm hoping to do both girls' closets, change and wash linens, and dust.
#128 of 149 Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff this weekend.

Ds is getting two or three toys and some books for Christmas. That's it.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#129 of 149 Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM

We have a family bedroom so thankfully I get what, three weeks for one room? (master bed, children's bed, guest bed)

I did go through much of our clothing, putting together bags for the thrift shop, the consignment shop, the holiday helpers, and us. I can't wait till the weather settles a bit more since this sort of "transitional" weather means I need a lot more clothing options available!

I'm having trouble downsizing the toys though. I know how germy/ick stuffed animals can be, but I'm having so much trouble removing the emotional component from the toy component! We don't have a lot of toys, but what we have seems to be either bulky (stuffed animals made by family members) or really small and cluttery (blocks, tiny dolls made from clothespins, beads/buttons, wooden kitchen stuff that dh has made). I rearranged a few shelves to hopefully organize things more and I'm looking forward to when the girls have their own room...

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#130 of 149 Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I managed to do both children's rooms already and am moving on to the kitchen. I am certain that I can fill two weeks in my kitchen!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#131 of 149 Old 10-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Behind, but joining!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#132 of 149 Old 10-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Plowed through the boys' bedroom and playroom yesterday. Still not completely satisfied with the closet decluttering - but some of that I can't help. Only so much storage space in this house, and things that we want to keep have to live somewhere, right?

Toys completely decluttered, rooms totally sparkling clean, bedding changed, baseboards wiped down... whew!

Now on to my daughter's bedroom. I dread her closet. I really need to purge and get the too-small clothes out, it's just hard with not knowing whether we're going to have another baby or not. We're 99% sure we're done, but that little hint of maaaaybeeee.... makes me hesitate. Plus it's saying goodbye to my kids' babyhood, as my littlest will be two in January. :cry
#133 of 149 Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm behind too, but I'm joining! I need to get the house completely clean before the baby comes anyway and I know I won't feel up to it the last couple months.

The only thing I'm going to have a hard time with is my daughters room. Her birthday is next week and the majority of her bday present is going to be a huge room makeover. She's at her dads next weekend for the whole weekend so it'll be a very long weekend project. I've been planning for this for months but to finally do it...oy! I'm kind of scared!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#134 of 149 Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by how successful kids' room week was for us. Both of the kids' rooms are clean and decluttered. I've cleared all but one tote bag of toys out of the rest of the house. Everything is now contained and has a place. I Freecycled a nice big bag of stuff.

My older DD's birthday is in November and between that and Christmas, we get inundated with toys at this time of year. This year, we're ready!

I imagine this week - Guest Rooms - is going to be much harder for me. I tend to use our guest room as clutter central, so this is not going to be easy. But I'm up for the challenge!
#135 of 149 Old 10-12-2009, 05:45 PM

I just started this, so I'm a bit behind and trying to catch up. I'm going to try to get to the guest room tonight (I kind of did that a couple weeks ago, so this will be a not-to-hard start for me), which is good, as my parents are visiting this weekend.

I have to start a gift list, though. I have a rough time with this, especially for my in-laws, who don't need anything, don't have any hobbies that I can use for ideas, and don't like what I get for them (vocally in front of everyone on Xmas morning, in my mother-in-law's case...). Blah.

Anne
Joel 16 January 2006
Asher 2 June 2008
#136 of 149 Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 PM

I started this late (last weekend) but just hadn't posted yet.. But I have been busy working on the Grand Plan or doing other decluttering (I've actually been in the mood to declutter paper which is incredibly rare for me, so I've been going with that feeling and working on my paper clutter, even if it comes from our extra bedroom/storage room not past or present zones..But I have soooo much paper clutter, it is needed!!!)

The front yard/porch area is done minus painting that I don't know is going to happen before the holidays and the new flag and flag pole.. My MIL told us she had a new flag we can have so once she finally brings that over I will get the new pole. DS's room is done minus needing to get curtains think I found the ones I want, just need to buy them..he's had blankets over the windows for the past 2 years, we're going to get curtains for the master bedroom for the same reason except 5 years.. I'm just debating buying the curtains myself or asking for gift certificates, (that I may or may not get) that will help pay for them for Christmas.

Foyer was done minus hanging one item, but now we've had the closet door fall twice in two days denting the walls in two different spots... <sigh> Only the windows are cleaned in the Living Room...

The best thing that had gotten done is the Dining Room got painted today!!!!! It's been needing it for at least two years, since I took done the icky wall paper!! It looks sooo much better now that the wall isn't just covered with spackle marks, no more leak stain on the ceiling, etc.. and since the whole room is empty of furniture and clutter until we get our dining room set I am done in that room!!!!!! (though by the time that room rolls around we may very well have clutter in there again...)

Unfortunately the rest of the house is a complete disaster area....but I have hope that it will improve!!

Good luck all!

Kym
#137 of 149 Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Gifts:
We go with the "something to wear, something to read, something you want, something you need" formula for the immediate family (dh, dd1, dd2, ds, and I). I'm making baby legs for each child, dd1 and dd2 will get magazine subscriptions while ds will get a home made texture book, "want" is a My Little Pony for dd1/a ballerina outfit for dd2/a play silk for ds, and "need" is hat/scarf/gloves/slipper set. DH is getting flannel jammies, a magazine subscription, a dvd, and that knitted hat/scarf/gloves (his mom always makes him slippers so I skip that).

Stockings are usually an orange, some chocolate, a trail mix of nuts and fruit, fruit leather, and coloring supplies. The regular gifts go in the stockings too... I'm making everyone new stockings this year!

For extended family we make a donation and give a related (small) gift. For example, when we donated honeybees through heifer international we gave people a card and a jar of honey. When we donated ducks (again through heifer international) we gave a card and a rubber duckie. One year we supported families through the holiday helper program and gave people cards and a paperdoll family for their own kiddos. This year we're making donations to a local reading program and giving people homemade books written/illustrated by the kids. It's something that works well since you can donate any amount (the recipient doesn't need to know how much/little you can afford), it helps others while also being a gift, it doesn't add to clutter/consumption/materialism, and it works for everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I'm having more trouble with the freezer meals though. DD1 has Celiac and we need to stay gluten free. DD2 can't eat dairy. And it looks like ds is sensitive to egg in my diet (dd1 was as well). So we need easy to freeze/reheat, festive, seasonal gluten/dairy/egg free dishes! Other than a lifetime supply of rice/beans and chicken I'm drawing a blank for "main dish" type items. Veggie sides are no problem, and I'm loving the sweet potato fries and the cran relish, but the rest is driving me a bit bonkers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The master bedroom is the children's bedroom is the guest bedroom. So I get another week! I think the small house is enabling my lazy holiday cleaning. Though we finished framing the walls of the addition so progress towards a children/guest space (and a real living room) is happening. Yay! Though the weather is not helping. It's been raining/sleeting and generally cold/miserable. Since dh does the work when he gets home it's also usually dark. Poor dh!

#138 of 149 Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Managed to get all the too-small clothes out of DD's room last week and into the basement, but they need to be sorted and put into boxes still. I also went through all her drawers and sorted everything neatly. We put her pajamas into sets so we don't have to search for tops to match bottoms. And we got rid of all the odd socks (they'll go in one of the clothing donation bins where they have a chance of being reused in some way). Still have to do something about the toys, though.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#139 of 149 Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Thalia: Good job on your kid's clothes! That is always a major project around here!

wombatclay We're supposed to be doing the "something to wear, something to read, something you want, something you need" formula but ever once in a while DH mentions a gift idea that doesn't seem to fit.. it's hard because we both come from families that literally showered us with presents as kids... and still do.. hard to change that mindset some times, you know? We did well last year, but he was only 1 and DH didn't play with him as much, so he wasn't as into the ideas of toys as he is now..We're still working on narrowing the list...

So, wombatclay, is your master bedroom/children's bedroom/guest bedroom super clean since you have had three weeks for it???!

I can't believe it is already Thursday night and I certainly don't feel like I've gotten much done this week.. Partly because we had two mom & toddler activities this week, plus went shopping twice.. going to the stores with a little one can take sooo long!

But when I REALLY reflect on things, I did throw out quite a bit, I have two boxes of books & one bag of magazines ready to be donated to the library and two boxes of misc. other stuff to go to the thrift shop! I've also bought the curtains for our room and DS's, that I have wanted for over two years! (more for our room) Plus I got the rest of the wallpaper paste off the walls in the master bedroom and started on the spackling so we can paint. And I tracked done a full set of the dining room set my parents gave us an IOU on last Christmas, but hadn't bought us yet since we were waiting till we got the dining room painted (painted it on Monday!).. Just have to work out the details about purchase with my parents and hopefully we will get the table delivered before the end of the month!!! DH is stressing about the table because he REALLY wants it here before Thanksgiving, especially since we just officially announced that we would be hosting for his family and my brother (7 people total including us..) then his brother asked about inviting his future B &SILs who will also be in town... It can ONLY work if we have our new table set or borrow a table and chairs to use in addition to our kitchen set..
#140 of 149 Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Gifts:
We go with the "something to wear, something to read, something you want, something you need" formula for the immediate family (dh, dd1, dd2, ds, and I).

I really like this. I've never heard the rhyme before, but the concept is fantastic.

I'm one of those weirdos who finishes 80% of their holiday shopping before summer starts, so I'm already well over the "wear/read/want/need" rule for Christmas 2009, but I'm going to keep it in mind for my 2010 shopping.
#141 of 149 Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to ask:
For those of you doing the Holiday Grand Plan, how do you keep the rooms that you clean early in the program from backsliding before the holidays? It's a huge issue for us...

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#142 of 149 Old 10-16-2009, 02:22 PM

I take the approach that the HGP does a "deep clean" of each room so that when the holidays are at hand rooms just need a "normal clean" to look really good... I don't try to keep each room at it's end-of-week-super-clean level. I'm sure some people can hold the line set by the HGP, but I can't!

And the HGP helps me stay on top of the other "stuff" so that I don't go crazy stressed in December.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Three weeks on one room = worse than one week. It's just enabling my procrastination!

#143 of 149 Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM

WHY oh WHY have I not heard of this BEFORE????

what week are we on? I'm jumping in. I was sort of doing this anyway, just not as organized...

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#144 of 149 Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 AM

I'd like to join.
I'm just going to start with where everyone is right now and not try to back track to catch up.
#145 of 149 Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 AM

okay mamas, we are FINALLY getting our foyer finished this weekend (crossing my fingers anyway!) so i haven't done another THING on this plan because there's no point at all in deep cleaning with plaster dust flying during demo and now insulation installation and then drywall dust....not to mention, all the tools, ladder, etc. lying around in every room. like shoveling during a blizzard! lol!

however, once we're finished with the 'messy' portion of the program i'm going to get all lightening speed on each room......other than my kid's rooms as they are responsible for their own (they're 10 & 12 so are MORE than capable )

we are hosting a big halloween trick or treating party on the 31st, and hubby has promised to have the foyer done by next weekend so i have TIME to clean before the party.

i love hearing how everyone is coming along! i WILL catch up....one of these days!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#146 of 149 Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Porch and foyer area DONE, craft room (with most all crafts moved into it) DONE. Books boxed, sold, ready to be mailed or donated, and bookshelves moved into other rooms and nice and neat-DONE. Movies gone through and reshelved neatly-DONE.

I am so fortunate to have kids who like to help out, otherwise this much wouldn't get done in one day!

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#147 of 149 Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 PM

My house is slowly improving/coming together and it feels wonderful! And when my mom first acted for gift ideas for Christmas I actually had some for her already, as opposed to not coming up with anything till about dec 1st, if then... I may even be able to give my parents a tour of the WHOLE house when they come to visit for Christmas, without being embarrassed at all about the condition at ALL!! And without having to Crisis Clean before hand!! that is a wonderful feeling!!!

Been prepping the bedroom this week for this weekends painting party in there.. And a little bit of cleaning in the kitchen, but not too much..

Kym
#148 of 149 Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM

Anyone else still doing this?? I'm attempting to, though right now I'm still a bit in recovery from the painting/home improvements we did over the past week.. (recovery being getting the house back to the way it should be.. ie tools back where they belong, things that were temporarily moved to other rooms either moved back to their original rooms or moved to new locations, etc..)

For the first time ever I'm actually looking forward to showing my parents the whole house when they come for Christmas! In the past they have been kept on the main floor or if they went to a different level for some reason I grimaced and asked pardon for the mess.. while the whole house isn't clean yet, I feel like it will be by the time they come.. and without having to do stash and grabs and staying up late the night before doing massive crisis cleaning!! (and then only managing to get the main floor semi-decent! and me being tired and very migraine prone and as a result getting AT LEAST one migraine during their week here.. Oh...and purchasing, not to mention wrapping presents last minute!! So, hoping to avoid all that this year!!!

Hoping all of you have a peaceful/stress free holiday this year, too!!

Kym
#149 of 149 Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Is anyone here likes house cleaning? I remember when i was a kid, i adored to clean the house with my mom, but when i became a dad, everything is vise versa. By the way i found interesting house cleaning tips. If you are interested feel free to visit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page