Holiday Grand Plan, Anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 149 Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has become one of my favorite parts of fall! I'm determined to take advantage of the second trimester energy this year and finish the whole 18 week plan . Anyone want to join me? Start date is 8-31, so you have a couple of weeks!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 149 Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM

oh i LOVE that website! i've never actually done the 'grand plan' though....maybe i should try it this year!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#3 of 149 Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM

I actually do most of this every year...I skip a few weeks because it doesn't pertain to our festivities, but it is awesome!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#4 of 149 Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm in!!! Perfect that the front porch is the first week, I need to scrape and paint the pillar!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#5 of 149 Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM

oh, I'm gonna do this Exactly what I need...a program to tell me what to do!!!:
Printing out pages NOW!

~very excited~

edit:
opps guess you're not supossed to print things out ahead of time? Oh well. I just got a jump on week ONE! LOL

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#6 of 149 Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 AM

Im in! I need to do some deep cleaning since I haven't since spring.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#7 of 149 Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm in for sure! I love getting all the present shopping finished early, so this will help me be more organized, and get the cleaning done, too.

Plus, we're having a baby at the beginning of this December, so we will have guests... and hopefully everything won't be a total disaster, with a little planning

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#8 of 149 Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmind View Post
edit:
opps guess you're not supossed to print things out ahead of time? Oh well. I just got a jump on week ONE! LOL
Is this why I can't get the pages to print? I tried the other day to go ahead and start the notebook and the pages weren't giving me the option to print. I thought it was an issue with my copy of Adobe, though?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 149 Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM

I've done the Christmas Countdown before. What is the difference between the HGP and the Houseworks Holiday Plan, though? I'm confused.
#10 of 149 Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 AM

subbing to this- I want to try this this year. if we get our basement reno completed early enough in the fall, I will finally be able to get this house in order. Christmas is a great deadline.
#11 of 149 Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Wow What a great site! I usually use the Flylady Holiday countdown, but I might try this one this year. Sign me up!
#12 of 149 Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

We'll start with our whole-house holiday prep in a week! Is everyone ready?!!? I can't WAIT, personally.

(I'm really hoping, though, that I can take advantage of some second trimester energy because I just don't see how I think I can do this all as things stand right now...11w pregnant!)

#13 of 149 Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM

I'm in!! I've been working through the decluttering and having a plan will help me to really focus on a space and get it DONE!
#14 of 149 Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Wow! I am really impressed by how thorough the room cleaning assignments and descriptions appear to be. We really need to do some deep cleaning and we very much need someone to give us directions.

Dh and I sat down yesterday and wrote out, week-by-week, all the extra chores we have that are personal to our own home situation. For instance, we have some light fixtures to install and a few rooms to paint. We also have a few major projects (recarpet entire 2nd floor) that we are also going to try and tackle in weeks where we don't have a room (ex. no dining room here; the garage will be too cold to do in November and not necessary) and when we'll skip here holiday prep (ex. our tiny freezer won't hold those extra meals).

The timing will be perfect with the 2nd tri nesting/energy burst and, fingers crossed, we will stick it out to the end. We have some almost overwhelmingly long lists the first 5-6 weeks and then it tapers off a lot.

If nothing else, just reading the plan motivated us to go through the Master Bedroom and shift a lot of clothing that has been sitting around for practically the entire summer. I can see my carpet again! :
#15 of 149 Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valian View Post
Wow! I am really impressed by how thorough the room cleaning assignments and descriptions appear to be. We really need to do some deep cleaning and we very much need someone to give us directions.
I really enjoyed this the last time I did it. I had a trip in the middle, so I missed a lot of the house, but what I would do is make a list for every room and work my way through during the week as time and finances would allow. If all of the stuff didn't get done, well...it didn't. At the end of the plan, my house was so clean and decluttered...even with my 4 week break in the middle. I also made a TON of cookie dough to freeze and bake for later so my Christmas gift boxes were really stress-free to assemble.

So our official start day is SUNDAY! I'm so excited. I can't wait to print out all of the calendars and start working on my lists!!

#16 of 149 Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 PM

I did this a few years ago and it was great! I have a brand new babe though (as in, less than a week) and two whirlwind girls now so this may be more of a challenge than I can handle, but I'd like to try. I didn't nest much pre-birth and now I have a total craving for some serious cleaning/organization.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#17 of 149 Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm in. I've done it since 1998 in some form or another. I am sort of doing my own weeks this year, because I am due Nov 3, so I have baby prep added in there as well as planning to take some babymoon time off. I also don't need to spend much time on the printing/evaluation/list stuff as I have pretty well covered it having done it so many times. I started last week doing paperwork/get in the mail/office gotta dos and next week is going to be getting our camper reno finished and the camper ready for a long LAbor day weekend. But after that, I will be working on focus rooms a la HGP, I just may not do them in the HGP order in order to get done hat needs doing before the baby gets here. I think I am going to incorpaorate some of the Holiday Houseworks Plan stuff. I am using the to do list pages from that plan since I am customizing my plan to myself this year. I really like how they are two columns with one for the house prep stuff and one for the holiday prep. If anyone has any questions about HGP as we go, I'd be happy to answer questions.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#18 of 149 Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 AM

I'm in. I've done the FlyLady holiday prep before and really liked it. This sounds like a fun alternative.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#19 of 149 Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 AM

I really really need to do this!! We have so much coming up in the next two months: 3 birthdays (DH's, mine, DD2s), vacation, anniversary, Thanksgiving and a few other small things. I feel so overwhelmed because I tend to do a deep clean right before Christmas and I don't know how Im going to do it. Maybe this will help. Ill have to alter it a little since we will be gone for two of those weeks (we are going to Tokyo for our first ever family vacation!!).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#20 of 149 Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 PM

I'm in! I would like to have a much more relaxed and organized holiday for sure. It would be so nice to have a time table to get the house in order.
#21 of 149 Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 AM

For the first week, the cleaning focus is the front porch. I started a little early because I'm not sure when the weather will be this nice again here! Luckily DH did a bunch of work last week in brushing away all the cobwebs in the roof of our porch, so I don't have to do that. But our hedges out in front needed trimming badly, and I finally got around to doing most of it today. Still need to pick up the trimmings and get the hard to reach spots in the middle of the shrubs (there is only so much I could do while keeping an eye on two-year old DD in the unfenced front yard).

#22 of 149 Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post

We'll start with our whole-house holiday prep in a week! Is everyone ready?!!? I can't WAIT, personally.

(I'm really hoping, though, that I can take advantage of some second trimester energy because I just don't see how I think I can do this all as things stand right now...11w pregnant!)
Hi DDC-mate!

Since getting pg I have been a lazy blob, even though I am not sick anymore. I really need to get the house organized and baby stuff ready in advance so I am in!

I just printed off the first batch of stuff.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#23 of 149 Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Started today. Should be done with the porch by bedtime tonight!
Anyone else?

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#24 of 149 Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 PM

What a great idea! I think I can combine that with job-hunting (hopefully starting a new job soon), home renos (new floors all around before Christmas) and general life. Having you guys along for the ride just might be enough to keep me motivated! Actually, the thought of being that organized for the holidays... hmmm, that's a great motivator in itself. Love it.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#25 of 149 Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 PM

Well, I'm getting started on the list part of the week, but this week will be following DeCiRi's example and doing a huge declutter with the kids away for the week. So I didn't get started on the front yard, but did do my desk, top to bottom, and it looks fantastic! I took out two boxes of paper to shred, a box of stuff that didn't belong there, a bag of garbage, and ended up putting back just one box of what was originally crowded all over.

I'm doing the lists and printing tonight, and then on to the box warehouse that is my dining room, the living room, and my craft closet this week!
#26 of 149 Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM

I did some more work on the hedges yesterday. Still have to find a way to trim the very top parts (we just moved here in March and I haven't had to do this yet!). But I'm feeling very satisfied with the work I've done so far. It really makes the whole yard look better.

Here's the rest of my cleaning list for this week:

Buy a doormat for the outside (we have one inside already)
[DONE!] Get a utility cleaning brush
[DONE!] Brush off the cobwebs on the doorsills and windowframes outside on the front of the house
Weed the front flowerbeds
[DONE!] Sweep the front porch
[DONE!] Get a small "no trespassing" sign for the door to keep the solicitors away

#27 of 149 Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Week One: Front Porch and List Week

My Goals for this week:
Make the following lists:
* Gifts to be given and budget
* Christmas card list: Print list and update it. Decide how many cards are needed.
* Visits to make
* Parties/Entertaining
* Menus for Halloween Party, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years
* Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1.
* Favorite Meals for freezing ahead.
* Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.

Front Porch:
*See if DH has the time to build the stairs and buy the 4 10 foot boards needed to finish porch.
*Clean up around porch, weed-eat at edges
*Hang new front door?!
*New porch light?
*Hang fall wreath :::::
*Pick up any trash in front yard, driveway, flower beds, etc.
*Clean up end of driveway: put all big trash to curb, move landscape bricks to build well house foundation, etc.
* Wash door mat
* Buy flower pots and mums for each side of the front door :

These are a lot of big tasks that we've been putting off for financial and/or time reasons, so I may not get it all done. I'd really like to have steps, the boards, the new door put on (we already have it), and a porch light. As I finish tasks, I'll change their color to red.

#28 of 149 Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM

I am doing well so far this week. I am combining baby prep with house prep. I did most of my front porch stuff. What I have left:

-cut out NB sized cloth diapers
-finish sewing treat bags for DS's b-day party
-Finish painting fall door decoration
-Clean gutters

Yesterday DS "helped" me weed and sweep and de-cobweb the front of the house-yay!

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#29 of 149 Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

I just finished printing all the stuff out Very excited to start! The kids start school on Tuesday!
#30 of 149 Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Swept the front porch yesterday, still have a lot to do!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page