Help me decide: Yard Sale or Donate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved for the 2nd time this year and I am determined to clear out everything we do not need. We are trying to live more simply, and clutter free. I can't take clutter in my life anymore. I am a reformed pack rat, it is in my genes, but I'm not going to be that way in this house. We have almost doubled our living space, yet I can't understand how we had so much crap in our old house. So I'm in the process of purging. We moved a couple of weeks ago, and the garage is serving as a holding area for boxes we need to go through still, and boxes of stuff we are getting rid of. It is a disaster to say the least.

The stuff we are getting rid of definitely has value. A lot of household items that we got as wedding gifts but now realize we have no use for. Like a brand new fondue set...with kids who have dairy allergies. Yeah, don't see that getting used! Formal tablecloths, place settings, etc. when we are as casual as can be and will never own a formal dining set. I also have baby things that we no longer need, and lots of toys.

We have already donated so much, but I feel like we are at the point in purging where we are letting go of the things of value. I know I could at least make some money for this stuff, but the desire to be rid of it all, done, with free space and the ability to get organized is making me want to just call a charity. We could certainly use the money right now, but is it worth the work? I'd have to open up the garage, set things out and price them. Then sit for a few hours and take money. Or I can call someone to pick it up and get a tax credit. Is there a limit for the amount you can donate each year?

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I'm in the same situation. We've got a garage full of stuff that is certainly not junk. I've been meaning to have a yard sale all summer or at least post a few things on craigslist, but have yet to do it. It's been causing me a lot of anxiety since I want so badly to be rid of all this stuff, but I can't seem to bring myself to tackle this daunting task.

At this point I'm planning on having it all taken away for charity. I may be missing out on some cash but it's worth it to me to have my sanity back. I would say in your situation, if the thought of having a yard sale seems too overwhelming, then you'd be doing yourself (and others) a favor by donating it all.

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM

I'm starting to go through and get rid of things as well, but I don't have the energy to set up a yard sale. I know it would just sit in my garage for months. Anything really big I might post on Craigslist, and the rest I'll donate and take the tax deduction.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 PM

I'm in the exact same spot! We helped my mom host a garage sale at our house last year (not really any of our stuff) and it was SO much work. We have a bunch of things that are worth $ but I just don't have the energy to sell the stuff individually on Craigslist and my dh is totally against doing a garage sale because he knows how much work it is. So at the moment there is a bunch of stuff piled in the basement and we can't agree what to do

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Wait! I live near you. After growing up with a hoarding grandmother and mother, as an adult I now declutter constantly -- and consequently know great ways to make money off getting rid of most kinds of stuff.

I hope this isn't too personal, but would you like help?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Wait! I live near you. After growing up with a hoarding grandmother and mother, as an adult I now declutter constantly -- and consequently know great ways to make money off getting rid of most kinds of stuff.

I live in the area too. I would love to hear some of your ideas.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 PM

It really depends on what you have to sell, condition, other similar items, and the time you have. I typically sell things via combination of consignment sale, yard sale, craigslist, ebay, half.com, donation, etc.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post

Heck yeah! I'd love help. I'm at a really good place when it comes to detaching and letting things go, but I'm stuck when it comes to what to do with the stuff. I've unloaded a lot, and made some money, but it is time consuming.

But, what I'd love as much as the help is to meet another MDC mama in the area. Let's talk for sure.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Oh, you're making me jealous that there are other decluttering mamas near you! (Though I do have a friend who is just starting).

Anyway, I have been doing major decluttering this year. A bunch of stuff in January went to a church rummage sale. Another batch went in the spring. Books to the library. We'll be able to itemize on our taxes for that. I did a garage sale in June to raise classroom money for DS's waldorf teacher so he wouldn't have to spend out of pocket and got rid of more. Now, I just put the little and big stuff at the end of the driveway with a free sign. Most medium stuff went out too, with the exception of about 20 things that I can easily try to sell on ebay or craigslist. The last batch went out Thurs. My time is better spent decluttering than labeling, organizing, bargaining (though my prices are so low that almost no one does), and then repacking up and trying to donate right away.

My new batch is going to go to the church rummage sale and I'm going to get off MDC and start listing on ebay and craigslist right now!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM

I ALSO live in the area and would like to hear the ideas, and ALSO meet other MDC moms.

OP, I am in total admiration of you -I have 2 kids too, 10/06 and 12/26/08, and have been dying to start decluttering, but trying to do so with the 2 kids is kicking my butt!!

....hmm...maybe what I MOST need is ideas on how to start decluttering with 2 LO's in the 1st place! :

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfry7 View Post
I ALSO live in the area and would like to hear the ideas, and ALSO meet other MDC moms.

OP, I am in total admiration of you -I have 2 kids too, 10/06 and 12/26/08, and have been dying to start decluttering, but trying to do so with the 2 kids is kicking my butt!!

....hmm...maybe what I MOST need is ideas on how to start decluttering with 2 LO's in the 1st place! :
Well, when you are unpacking and have to either find a place to put it, or get rid of it, there is good motivation to declutter. (and you should check out the NC finding your tribe forum, there is a local meet up scheduled for later this week! )
Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 PM

Isn't decluttering with kids wild? Mine have started to ask if I am going to sell something if they see me pack something up.

I don't have a garage, so instead I keep an 18 gallon storage bin in our bedroom and perpetually gather things into it to sell/give away/donate. When it fills up, away it has to go!

Meeting other MDCers for support and fun sounds great. Will be there next week.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Yes, LOL, forced decluttering is usually my M.O.....however, now I am just wanting to do it to get it DONE!!

Trying to even THINK with LO's around can be a challenge. Especially since the baby usually won't let me set her down, and then only if I am also sitting on the floor within 2 feet of her.

Hey, thanks for the heads-up for the meet up next week. I couldn't make the one last week and will be sure to make this one.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfry7 View Post
Yes, LOL, forced decluttering is usually my M.O.....however, now I am just wanting to do it to get it DONE!!

Trying to even THINK with LO's around can be a challenge. Especially since the baby usually won't let me set her down, and then only if I am also sitting on the floor within 2 feet of her.

Hey, thanks for the heads-up for the meet up next week. I couldn't make the one last week and will be sure to make this one.
Do you have an ergo or carrier that you can do a back carry in? That is the only way I get anything done. Especially since he is constantly on the go and into everything. In fact he is on my back right now snoring away. I just got dinner prepped, kitchen cleaned and now I'm about to go do laundry and major clutter control. I would not survive without my ergo.

See you at the pool!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM

I'm posting big stuff on craigslist. If it's not gone by the time we move it gets donated. Not into the garage sale thing with little kids.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
I'm posting big stuff on craigslist. If it's not gone by the time we move it gets donated. Not into the garage sale thing with little kids.
And facebook. It seems friends actually need some of the things.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

User Tag List