WWYD? which option is best? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so our house isnt small but its not big either although we've got a decent sized living room and a small conservatory extention leading off the kitchen (which is off the living room although not open plan) the bedrooms, especially the kids rooms are only small (like 2metres x3 metres and 2metres x 3 1/2 metres) we've got a highbed in teh slightly bigger kids room so all the floorspace is usable but that wasnt possible in the other room so there is literally just a narrow bit of floor between the bed on the left and the wardrobe on the right to use and half of that gets used by the door opening into the room.

so thats a brief overview of our house to give you an idea.
atm we've got the "playroom" in the conservatory which also leads off onto the decking in the garden which is great in the summer as ds and friends are inside as much as outside when playing. toys get scattered everywhere though as they're all out in the playroom and things get misplaced etc too.
also ds likes to play where we are so thats in the living room so theres never really a tidy adult space anyway iyswim. also i would have to move all the toys back into the living room anyway in the winter as its too cold to play in the conservatory otherwise. and we've got a lovely log burner in the living room we use to heat in the winter so would be a shame to not have the kids have benefit from it.
so my thoughts were (after being inspired by the declutterd clean and tidy photo thread) to move the dining table back into the conservatory (where it has been before) and to store the toys in different nice boxes / in the coffee table in the living room / in the toybox in the conservatory and then mostly in his room. this would hopefully mean that toys wouldnt be so easily moved and get messed up simply because they're out. hopefully ds would learn to get soemthing out and play with it and lern to put it away before getting something else out. what's your experience of playroom vs toys being stashed tidily throughout the house?

Any other tips for decluttering and keeping tidy welcome too!

Petra
#2 of 2 Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, you already know my preference is for toys throughout the house, rather than a play room. Not only do we not have space for a playroom, it just wouldn't work with DS's personality. I find toys throughout the house useful because it allows DS to play wherever we are. It can be a challenge to keep tidy, though. My strategies are:

1) Make sure that the most played with toys are easily accessible and easy to out away. In our case, DS favs are blocks and trucks, which are stored in low baskets under the couch. DS can pull them out when he wants to play and then can fill them back up and put them back when he is done.

2) Work with your LO to show them how to pick up. Our DS is three. He has only just recently gotten good about cleaning up after himself, but he still needs reminders. Sometimes he will try to get out too many toys at once, I remind him that he has to put away one type of toy to get out another type. I enforce this pretty well in the living and dining rooms. I tend to let things go in his room a little more than the rest of the house. Every other day or so, we'll pick up his room together. Thankfully, the train table contains most of the mess.

3) Chose storage that works in your house decor, and (is my case) is also inexpensive. Looking at tons of kids stuff can be tiring and make a room feel cluttered even when it isn't. I skipped the typical kid storage stuff and went with either furniture that I already had (such as old bookcases), or inexpensive baskets/boxes that look good and also withstand some rough-housing.

ETA: It also helps not to have tons of toys. If DS doesn't play with something at all, I will donate it rather than letting it add to clutter.

I hope this helps. I think your plan will work. Good luck and have fun with it! And post some pictures when your done .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page