How do you emotionally detach yourself to get rid of stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in an itsy bitsy 900 sq ft apartment for 5 people (including 3 little people ages 7 yrs and younger). I see DS1 turning into me (yes, a hoarder and a messy...) but we don't have space!!!

So I am tackling crap that I have lying around that never gets used. Usually bags of a miscellany of paper things that have been accumulating for the last 18 months. Can you believe I still have my high school agendas and movie stubs and show ticket stubs from things I saw over 15 years ago?

And clothes! It's the emotional attachment to things that bog me down and suck all the momentum out of my good intentions to declutter, never mind organize...

Help me ladies! I need a firm kick in the butt to let go of all these things so we have more room to live! Before I drown in all this clutter... or worse, leave everything for my grandkids to dispose after I die hahaha...

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#2 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 AM

I've just been reading the Apartment Therapy 8 week cure, and the author suggests an outbox. The outbox is something I've been doing for a while, I just never knew that that was what it was called! The outbox can be an area of your home, a basket, a box, any space that you can put the clutter you think you want to remove from a living space and you just leave it there for a while.

After a while you look at the space, and see if you want to take the stuff back out of the outbox, donate it or sell it or whatever. Sometimes just throwing it away is too severe and sudden to really reconcile the feelings you have about the clutter. The hope is that you'll feel better with a more uncluttered space, and that you'll get rid of the contents of your outbox eventually. Does that make sense?

If I've explained it wrong, anyone else please chime in a correct me!
#3 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 04:37 PM

Watch an episode of Hoarders on A&E and you'll want to get rid of everything.

I'm half joking and half serious. Anytime I watch that show I HAVE to go clean something afterwards. :

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#4 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 04:46 PM

I try and remind myself that my memories are inside me, not my things.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#5 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Papers are kind of easy. If you have a scanner, scan them and save them on your computer then get rid of the paper. I love the idea of the "outbox", too.
#6 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
Papers are kind of easy. If you have a scanner, scan them and save them on your computer then get rid of the paper. I love the idea of the "outbox", too.
Holy moly... I do NOT know why this never occured to me. I bet I could do this for all of the millions of statements I'm holding on to. I keep them because I have on occasion needed to reference something, but I've never needed the original, just the balance number.

Thank you for pointing this out. I think you just saved me a lot of space.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#7 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM

I allow myself to ponder over things before they go away. I freecycle anything that may get a second appreciative life (of course, sometimes I feel like I'm just enabling another hoarder - is that good, really?). I do something like an outbox when I'm sorting: if I'm not able to part with it immediately, it goes into a box or part of my closet for the "next" round of purging. If you can get rid of 1/3 of what you need to at a time, you will be making progress.

Allow yourself the time it takes to say goodbye. Realize that stuff is just stuff.

--janis
Purging My Life One Box At A Time!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#8 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 06:20 PM

One funny thing I've noticed with stuff is that I often forget I even had things until I stumble upon the box or bag of it.

If it had been stolen right out from under me I'd never ever wonder where it went. I'd most likely never notice.

So if you stumble upon something like that you should spend some time thinking about what would happen if....you just pitched the whole thing. You can't honestly say you'd be devastated, because you'd totally forgotten about the whole entire thing. You can't really honestly say you need any of it- because you haven't seen it in years.

I guess that helps me realize that stuff is stuff. It doesn't make you who you are, it doesn't bring back the dead and it can't help you capture some moment in time. The past is the past. Clinging onto tons of stuff for emotional reasons is draining.

Clothes esp, I had kept the shirt I had when I met my husband for like 12 years before I got rid of it, now every great once in a while I wish I had it back because I want to see how small I was lol. Other than that it doesn't bother me.

I'm very sentimental and could very easily be a hoarder. Up until a few years ago I kept things like receipts if something neat happened the day I'd bought the item. Something about seeing the date stamped on it, and what I bought would bring back the day. Even bad days. I was bad.

Now I realize after having so much crap and junk handed down to me when my grandma passed that there's no point in any of it, even relatively nice stuff and stuff worth money. It's just stuff.

You can't take it with you when you die, and the odds are no one else is going to want it when you do die. Save yourself the energy of lugging it around and caring for it by releasing it.
#9 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Watch an episode of Hoarders on A&E and you'll want to get rid of everything.

I'm half joking and half serious. Anytime I watch that show I HAVE to go clean something afterwards. :
My hubby and I just watched that the other night and it was completely eye opening. We are not hoarders by any means but it made us want to get up and clean the house top to bottom at 1 am!!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#10 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just watched Hoarders for the first time, and OMG, it does work! I started thinking about just how many "things" of my grandmother's I really need to save in order to preserve the memories...
#11 of 47 Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 PM

I just keep telling myself "I do not need stuff to validate my life."

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#12 of 47 Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
I read Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston. I like this book because it addresses the energetic aspects of clutter and getting it cleared out. In it she talks about how you have different energetic states which draw things to you and as time goes by your energetic states change and so the items no longer resonate with you. I find this very helpful in terms of breaking emotional attachments because I don't have to convince myself it's a useless or bad or old item, I just have to realize I've changed energetically and I need to make room for things which work for me now. It also helps me with the "what was I thinking?" aspect.

Not so much related to emotional attachments, but maybe you'll find this helpful: she also talks about how keeping things you no longer need ("they might be needed/useful/etc") is really about a lack of faith in your future. It's based in fear that you won't have the object when you want it or need it, and that decisions made from a place of fear are usually not good ones.

:
#13 of 47 Old 09-13-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
Holy moly... I do NOT know why this never occured to me. I bet I could do this for all of the millions of statements I'm holding on to. I keep them because I have on occasion needed to reference something, but I've never needed the original, just the balance number.

Thank you for pointing this out. I think you just saved me a lot of space.
Cool!
#14 of 47 Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 AM

Watch a "Clean House" episode. That is always motivating.

In truth, there is no easy way. You just have to act, take that first step. It becomes easier and easier to get rid of things as time goes on.

As yourself what value those papers you're keeping are adding to your life. What value? How much stress do they add? How much do they take away from your space, your life? Why do you feel the need to hang onto them?

And then, the bottom line statement I always tell myself "Sailor, when you're dead, and your kids are picking up your belongings, do you really want them sorting through 98 years of your life?" (I'm being optimistic about my life span, lol.)

Keep those things that you use, and those that genuinely add value/joy to your life - the rest give away.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#15 of 47 Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 PM

This is how I detach:

* I donate so someone else gets the rush of finding an amazing bargain.

* I don't like to hold onto something that I can share with someone else, who can actually USE the item, versus it sitting in the back of my closet. (Get that stuff out into the rotation!)

* It's good karma to donate it and help someone else in need.

* It leaves me free to concentrate on what's important in my life. I only want to have what I truly love and use frequently.

* I am lighter. I spend less time cleaning and putting things away when I have less.

* Extra space, dust-free space...it makes me breathe easier and feel better, like I don't have a pile of things weighing me down.

* I'd rather own a few good quality, well-loved items than a whole ton of junk.

* I can't possibly look at it all, use it all, or wear it all anyway. My psyche can only handle so much stuff and my life is busy enough.

* If I had 30 minutes to pack everything most important to me, would I take this item? (DH, DD, digital photos and files on laptop, shoebox of home movie tapes, a few pieces of sentimental jewelry, my baby book, DD's baby book, a few pieces of my grandmother's vintage carnival glass. I think that's it. No wedding dress. No books or clothes. No files. When I make an actual list, it surprises me.)

* If you are questioning how to detach, quite possibly on some level you already have, and you are looking for someone else to tell you it's okay. IT'S OKAY. You know you'll feel better once you let it go.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#16 of 47 Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
I read Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston. I like this book because it addresses the energetic aspects of clutter and getting it cleared out. In it she talks about how you have different energetic states which draw things to you and as time goes by your energetic states change and so the items no longer resonate with you. I find this very helpful in terms of breaking emotional attachments because I don't have to convince myself it's a useless or bad or old item, I just have to realize I've changed energetically and I need to make room for things which work for me now. It also helps me with the "what was I thinking?" aspect.

Not so much related to emotional attachments, but maybe you'll find this helpful: she also talks about how keeping things you no longer need ("they might be needed/useful/etc") is really about a lack of faith in your future. It's based in fear that you won't have the object when you want it or need it, and that decisions made from a place of fear are usually not good ones.

:
I also got a lot out of that book. It really helped me detach from things.
#17 of 47 Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
This is how I detach:

* I don't like to hold onto something that I can share with someone else, who can actually USE the item, versus it sitting in the back of my closet. (Get that stuff out into the rotation!)

* It leaves me free to concentrate on what's important in my life. I only want to have what I truly love and use frequently.

* I am lighter. I spend less time cleaning and putting things away when I have less.

* Extra space, dust-free space...it makes me breathe easier and feel better,
like I don't have a pile of things weighing me down.

* I can't possibly look at it all, use it all, or wear it all anyway. My psyche can only handle so much stuff and my life is busy enough.

* If I had 30 minutes to pack everything most important to me, would I take this item? (DH, DD, digital photos and files on laptop, shoebox of home movie tapes, a few pieces of sentimental jewelry, my baby book, DD's baby
book, a few pieces of my grandmother's vintage carnival glass. I think that's it. No wedding dress. No books or clothes. No files. When I make an actual list, it surprises me.)

* If you are questioning how to detach, quite possibly on some level you already have, and you are looking for someone else to tell you it's okay. IT'S OKAY. You know you'll feel better once you let it go.
Freaking Awesome. What a fantastic, true post! This is the kind of good stuff that I feel inside but am unable to express articulately. When I try to explain deep feelings I have it comes out like mumble-y gibberish. :-p Thanks for such a great read! :^D

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#18 of 47 Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I totally recommend the Clutter Busting blog and book . The author explains how to declutter in a way that I've never read about before. He encourages people to really become aware of their energy when they are in contact with their stuff. His stories are very compelling and give me a lot of decluttering motivation.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#19 of 47 Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 PM

Clothes: Is there room in your budget for a 100$ shopping spree? If so, I suggest bargaining with yourself. Get rid of 2/3rds of your clothes and you can go buy a couple new (nicely made, last forever, classic) pieces of clothing.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#20 of 47 Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
but I've never needed the original, just the balance number.
Spreadsheet.

Account Name.....Account Number.....Balance.....Contact number
Bank of Smithtown..55443553353.....$14214.93..534-235-2593
Fred Jones...........234938234.....etc

When you get the next statement, update the balance. Easy to start tracking other information if you decide to.

Also, see if your accounts have online copies of your statements.

Scanning is awesome for things where you need the whole document, mind you.
#21 of 47 Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 AM

I get angry at the fact that my possessions are keeping me from doing what I really want to do. For example I never sew (something I really enjoy) because I have so much other stuff cluttering up what should be my craft table. That makes me very angry at the stuff and makes me want to kick it our the door. I try to stay in 'angry mode' while decluttering. If I find myself weakening, I take a break.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#22 of 47 Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 PM

Just chiming in to say I get so much of what others are saying in this post. I feel like I am on the cusp of peeling back the next layer of clutter, which will be the big turning point.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#23 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Gonna sub to this bc this was the very question I was coming to ask.

I HAVE to let go of the attachment to things......things I bought for my children they don't use but I can't seem to let go of bc I am very choosy with what little money I make and it's the I paid for that, I saved for that......but it's been in a box for 2 years (I KNOW, I KNOW...trust me, I KNOW).......

I have a whole small room (10x8) filled with things I need to get rid of. It's organized but DP keeps putting more things in there. DD's infant seat (saving for next baby bc we will be ttc soon) is in there bc he brought it in from the garage bc it was taking up too much space???? I took it back out and put it UNDER the small shelf where it was. He's boxed up most of it to suit him bc it was in his way (on a shelf, in the garage where I could go through it one box at a time.....) and just labeled it with toys, my name (for my things) and the girls names on their things. I went through one of the boxes the other day and it's hodge podge.....toys, missing socks, books.....no rhyme or reason which makes me want to go through the boxes even less bc now it's twice as much work.

The room is daunting now. I look at it and run. Overwhelmed. But I want that room for my sewing......I have beautiful shelves to hang in there for my fabrics and rails to hang notions from. I have a child sized table with 2 chairs at my mom's (it was mine) to put in there so the girls can sit and color while I am in there.

But he won't stop putting boxes in there. We have a 2 car garage filled with his things neatly organized. They are neatly organized bc he has taken everything that is not his, and put it in a box, hodge podge, unlabled, in that small room.

Maybe I need to start with him first......

But I will sub to this to watch for suggestions about getting over emotional attachments........
#24 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 AM

I come from a long line of hoarders...any time I see stuff accumulating I instantly think "its happening!!!!" But I always have a hard time just throwing it in the trash where it will go to landfills. I have a couple of sayings that have helped me (and a few other genetically predisposed hoarder friends that I have)

1. "My house is not a trash can!" It helps to say this outloud while you sort through papers that you have been hanging onto for years...

2. "It all burns in a fire anyways!" I say this either outloud or to myself when going through clothes that I have been hanging on to. I just grab a garbage bag and start filling it with things that either dont fit or arent cute. I dont even waste my time at the thrift shop turning it all in. I go to one of those bins that are always in grocery store parking lots that you can donate to. A bin has never turned away my stuff lol

3. "If I havent seen it in a year there is a reason for that" I had like 50 ice skating trophies that were in a huge box in my closet. I took out 1 and dumped the rest. What was I to do with it? Sit and look at it? In a box? I had no room to make a special place for them so out of my house it went!
I also dumped all those precious moments figurines that had been broken over the years. I swore up and down that I would superglue the pieces back together. Then I realized, it would take a lot of my time and it would never look how its supposed to.

HTH!!!

Christine domestically challenged wife to George and Mama to Helena 8 Laila 6 Dom 4 and Mina 2
#25 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

What has helped for me is to think "If this thing is so valuable to me am I taking care of it?" Followed by "will I be able to find it or even remember that I own it when needed". Some items are cataloged such as books and fabric. Some of my collectables are hung neatly on the wall and regularly dusted. My old comic books are bagged, boarded and in boxes.

For many many things if I knew there was no way to care for the item properly they needed to go. I knew in my heart of hearts that I would never ever get around to scrapbooking which freed me to get rid of a bunch of paper memorabelia. I had some items from my grandparents that I kept because the stuff seemed valuble and old but I didn't even like those grandparents that much.

I still have issues since I've been so tired this past year and because of the baby on the way stopped passing clothes along. It feels a bit clogged around my house but I try to keep the living areas clear.
#26 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM

subbing because I have a HUGE problem with this....my "frugal" side wars with my decluttering side (but it's in perfectly good condition!! I should save it and use it!)

But I think I am getting a little better...or just so sick of the mess I am ready to burn my house down!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#27 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosysmom View Post
I went through one of the boxes the other day and it's hodge podge.....toys, missing socks, books.....no rhyme or reason which makes me want to go through the boxes even less bc now it's twice as much work.
Some people actually recommend randomly boxing stuff up to make it easier to declutter. The cool thing is that you can take a box out of the "junk room" and work on it in a peaceful area of the house. Then you are not stressed by the clutter in the rest of the room bearing down on you. Crayfish gives specific tips on how to get through a junk room using boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMush View Post
"My house is not a trash can!"
...and "My home is not a museum" (Flylady) -- something to think about when inherited items and "family heirlooms" are crowding out items that you need and love and use.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#28 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM

totally understand!!!!

one idea is to take a picture or scan the papers then get rid of them

::
#29 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
This is how I detach:

* Extra space, dust-free space...it makes me breathe easier and feel better, like I don't have a pile of things weighing me down.

* If I had 30 minutes to pack everything most important to me, would I take this item? (DH, DD, digital photos and files on laptop, shoebox of home movie tapes, a few pieces of sentimental jewelry, my baby book, DD's baby book, a few pieces of my grandmother's vintage carnival glass. I think that's it. No wedding dress. No books or clothes. No files. When I make an actual list, it surprises me.)

This is an awesome list!
I'm going to print this and refer to it when i'm in decluttering mode (if you don't mind).
Janet
#30 of 47 Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 PM

Great advice that I got once was to take a picture of what you have the attachment to before passing it on. You won't forget in it and can reminisce when the mood strikes.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page