a few q's about Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-can you I use it to clean vinyl flooring?
-is there anything that I def. shouldn't clean with it?
-do you love it?
-how long does a bottle last for you?
-anything else you think I should know about this cleaner?
#2 of 19 Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 PM

It is a good cleaner & it can be used from regular cleaning to laundry! I would buy the smallest bottle to try before you decide on a scent & how you like it.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#3 of 19 Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well...I found a large bottle marked down to $.89 at the store. I've always wanted to try it so I indulged...a little
#4 of 19 Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM

Wow! Good deal!

I use it to clean the bathroom sink and floors and dilute it in a dispenser for the kid's hand soap (peppermint). I've used the baby version as a bubble bath. Nary a problem with it

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#5 of 19 Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 PM

I gave up commercial cleaners a while ago, but will never give up my Dr. Bronners! I use it as hand soap, dish soap, and all-purpose cleaner. I prefer the almond scent, but all of them are nice. I do not use it on the floors - I just use water, vinegar and baking soda if there is a spot I need to scrub clean. I buy it in a gallon jug size and it lasts about a year !

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 12:36 AM

i would advise against not using it to wash dishes-it leaves a greasy residue on everything. other than that, its great!

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#7 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 12:43 AM

Didn't like it for dishes either (plus it was too darn expensive!!). My DH makes toothsoap from it

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#8 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 AM

I use it for hand soap, body soap, and diluted in a spray bottle with water to clean the table and counters.

It lasts a while, I'd say we buy a big bottle once a month - but I also have the hemp bar soap which last even longer. If I was better about diluting it for hand/body soap I wouldn't have to buy it that often.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 AM

we go through a big bottle a month, maybe, and we dont dilute.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#10 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 AM

It's good for a hand soap if VERY diluted, but way too harsh to use as a body wash for our family. Does not work very well as a cleaner if you have hard water IME.
#11 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
i would advise against not using it to wash dishes-it leaves a greasy residue on everything. other than that, its great!
This is what I have found too. However, the Sal Suds from Dr. B's is fabulous for dishes (and many other things, of course!)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#12 of 19 Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 AM

we love love love dr bronners!! for hand soap, dilute about 1 to 10 and use a pump dispenser...lasts forever! i use the baby/unscented this way for hand and body soap. for cleaning i use sal suds, also quite dilute. we have had a 15 oz bottle of each for over a year now...great value, IMHO

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#13 of 19 Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM

We use it and dilute it quite a bit -otherwise I find it too hard to rinse off or that it leaves a thick residue. Cleans my floors (mix diluted soap with vinegar), hand soap, carpet stains, and spray cleaner for the kitchen and bath. I have hard water and like the almond best.
#14 of 19 Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 PM

I use a few drops of it in my homemade spray cleaners.

DH uses it as shampoo, and we both use it as body soap. We use the peppermint and don't dilute it. I love the tingly clean feeling!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#15 of 19 Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 PM

For those of you who use Dr. B's as a baby wash, does it sting your LO's eyes?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#16 of 19 Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 PM

oh, it stings really really bad if you dont dilute it, but i use it in a 1 part soap 10 part water dilution and she never complains, i only use the baby formula on her, wouldnt want essential oils going in her eyes.
when she was 2 months old i used it straight on her and it got in her eye and we both cried for an hour straight.
#17 of 19 Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
oh, it stings really really bad if you dont dilute it, but i use it in a 1 part soap 10 part water dilution and she never complains, i only use the baby formula on her,
Thanks for this.

For those of you who dilute...how do you store it, use it-- in what kind of containers, dispensers, etc?

#18 of 19 Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
oh, it stings really really bad if you dont dilute it, but i use it in a 1 part soap 10 part water dilution and she never complains, i only use the baby formula on her, wouldnt want essential oils going in her eyes.
when she was 2 months old i used it straight on her and it got in her eye and we both cried for an hour straight.
On a related note, I used to use the baby formula on my kids and they got it in their eyes a few times and cried a LOT....I thought they might have been over-exaggerating a bit, BUT, I got some in my eye a few weeks back and it burns SO BAD!!! I have never had something hurts my eye as much as that did. Knowing what that feels like now, I don't want to use it on my kids as shampoo/body wash anymore, just to be safe. I use it for hand and dish soap though, and for body wash for me.

For my kids, we use the Weleda baby wash now...it's great for dry skin and we haven't had problems getting it in their eyes (I'm REALLY careful now though!)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#19 of 19 Old 10-03-2009, 03:09 PM

I just bought some Weleda for DD, and a 32 oz peppermint for DH and I to try as a body wash and hand soap. Hopefully I can make homemade cleaners, too. (DH is being weird about this.) I don't have any foaming dispensers on hand, just regular ones, so I hope they work.

I was wondering if I could put a drop or two in my steam mop. It says only to use water, though...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page