Moving Soon thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post
Still a long way to go but I feel we did achieve quite a lot yesterday (although we gave up on the library).

21 boxes packed, a load of old textbooks freecycled and a box of stuff taken to the charity shop. Also the car is full of stuff for the dump.

There was some tough stuff to get rid of in that lot, I made myself go through all the toys I've kept from my own childhood. I managed to get rid of about half. That's a big step since I did a previous sort a couple of months ago and got rid of most of the soft toys.

I am hoping that things will go a bit quicker once we get into the living spaces, since they shouldn't be so much sorting to do.

Off to playgroup this morning, so I won't get that much done. Maybe this afternoon I will get the kids packing some of their toys, while they still seem exited about taping boxes together.

Major progress!! Good job!!

I'm on a tight schedule this weekend:
Tomorrow AM: junk-truck, so I need to get the last couple of straggler things.
Sunday AM: Realtor coming by to get the key and do the lock box. And I hope to get the house done enough for pictures for the listing by Sunday afternoon while there's still good daylight.
Sunday PM: I'm going to look at my possible new home!! It's mostly a formality...the location is too perfect--just a few blocks from my son's preschool.
Tuesday: We're actively listed and random people could be by at any time!!!
Next weekend: open house.

LOTS of work to do between now and then, but I'm getting there. Sleep is over-rated and I'll just have H watch DS while I keep plugging away. I have a system. He can haul boxes for me. ;P I like filling them, but not carrying them downstairs!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am down to about 5 days left.

I have just about everything in boxes. all the dressers are empty, the kitchen cabinets are empty, the bathrooms are empty. i guess it is mostly random things here and there. and all the things we are keeping out like clothes that we are going to be wearing.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Old 10-31-2009, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How are everyone's weekends going, sounds like there are a few of us who have big plans.

We've now up to 34 sealed labelled boxes and about 5 more in various stages of packing. Most of DS's room is done and most of the loft is done.

We are defiantly making progress.

All the stuff we've offered on Freecycle has been collected and we scored 2 sets of draws this afternoon. 1 will be great for DSs room and the other we'll probably use in the garage since it's not really our taste.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:04 PM

Oh, I can join! We're moving in 5 days time and I still have to pack everything!

Fortunately (sort of..) we just moved in here a few months ago and quite a lot of stuff - books and dvds mostly - are still boxed up, so that takes some of the pressure off.

I did a big cull and declutter before we moved here, and another smaller one as we unpacked and I realised I'd still managed to pack some things we didn't *really* need. But I'm going to go through everything again as I pack up and see if I can't get rid of a few more things - probably mostly clothes and cosmetics. I'm trying to reduce the amount of cosmetics I use, but have a hard time actually throwing them away because they're usually so expensive to buy in the first place.

Good luck to all movers!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 11-01-2009, 02:40 PM

Well...our plans have taken a change. We thought we had purchased a forclosure (dream location, house needs work, but decent)-supposed to close on October 27. We hurried and got current home ready, listed and agreement signed all in 2 weeks! Have to be out of here by November 27. Were planning to stay with in-laws for a few weeks while fixed up new place. Now, mistakes made on forclosure of new place and we don't even know if we will be able to buy it. So...now have to put most of furniture in a POD and stored in in-laws garage. Hopefully we will be able to get new place. Otherwise will have to find another home and there isn't much out there that we like better than the home we are selling....Starting to pack a lot more today. Having a moving sale in a week so I don't have to pay to store furniture. It's been a stressful few days. But at least we have a place to go to temporarily.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulmama View Post
Well...our plans have taken a change. We thought we had purchased a forclosure (dream location, house needs work, but decent)-supposed to close on October 27. We hurried and got current home ready, listed and agreement signed all in 2 weeks! Have to be out of here by November 27. Were planning to stay with in-laws for a few weeks while fixed up new place. Now, mistakes made on forclosure of new place and we don't even know if we will be able to buy it. So...now have to put most of furniture in a POD and stored in in-laws garage. Hopefully we will be able to get new place. Otherwise will have to find another home and there isn't much out there that we like better than the home we are selling....Starting to pack a lot more today. Having a moving sale in a week so I don't have to pay to store furniture. It's been a stressful few days. But at least we have a place to go to temporarily.
Oh that stinks!!!!! At least you already had a temp place arranged but still......!!!

I didn't quite get all of my staging/packing/picture taking done so I'm taking tomorrow off work to finish up. DS's room looks pretty cute all stripped down and neutral! He hasn't noticed that I've packed 80% of his belongings! There's some perks to the OOH-SHINY! part of the 2 year old personality!

And I HAVE A DESTINATION TO MOVE TO!!! I signed a lease today! HOORAY!!! DS enjoyed the empty house to run around.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Hopefulmama . That sounds really stressful. I hope it gets sorted out soon. We have had 5 houses fall through for various reasons and it's hard to pick up and start searching again.

Roller Coaster Mama congratulations on finding a new house. I hope you got your pictures taken.

Packing is going pretty well here, over the weekend we dropped of all the plants at a friends house, safer than taking them in the lorry.

The loft and storage in our room are done. Those wee the places we had the most things to sort through. After that we are into living space and stuff we use regularly so hopefully not to much sorting.

The kids have had been having a great time playing in the boxes. I think we may have to keep a couple around. As things get taken apart they are getting a bit upset at the thought of moving though. Truth be told so am I, we've spent 8 years here and it's wierd taking it all apart.

50 boxes packed, 32 to go
Old 11-04-2009, 03:05 AM

Count me in!

DH, DD, and I are moving in with DD's sister, to the apartment where they grew up. We're probably moving in December.

I'm most excited about moving because it means I'll be able to go through everything we have and declutter! And hopefully force DH to declutter too

Today DD and I went through about half of my clothes, and packed up a huge bag to take to Salvation Army. It felt so good!

How's everyone else doing?

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
Old 11-04-2009, 07:00 AM

It's all going pretty well here. All the storage spaces and the kids rooms are finished. Most of our room is done, I've just got to drag the boxes out from under our bed and make sure all the lids fit.

The kitchen is about 1/2 way. Food and stuff is packed but we haven;t done much crockery yet.

We still have the cupbaords in the sitting room to finish off too. However that is mostly dumping CDs and DVDs into a box so shouldn't take long.

Today my focus is cleaning. I didn't know how bad the insides of our kitchen cupboards were till we took everything out
Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yay on all the progress! I'm a total dork, but it's nice to have somewhere to stop in and say "I did xyz today" and other people understand.

So...we're officially on the market as of last night! Crazy. There's still some work that should be done (isn't there always?) but STBX is home from work today and asked what needed doing. I assigned him the furnace/cat room. He should have fun with that! Our open house is on Sunday afternoon, but we could potentially have lookers any time. The realtor was optimistic that we'd have a solid offer to submit to the bank within a week. It's a short-sale, but it's a REALLY good deal for the house. And we've kept it in nice shape. Fingers crossed!

In less than a month I can start dragging some boxes over to the rental gradually. I actually ran out of boxes already! I'll have to get another pack of them.

I'm kind of digging the totally sparse/decluttered look of the house right now. It's all airy and open. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind going forward. It's so much more relaxing and DS is loving the open space to run and dance in. He still hasn't noticed that I've packed most of his books and toys! STBX has started to notice though. :P Oh well...he's a big boy and can suck it up.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Less than 24 hours and we will be in our new house. I feel surprisingly calm, I was expecting to feel quite emotional about leaving but I am mostly excited about the new place. The house doesn't feel much like "home" now pretty much everything is packed.

We still have some work to do in the kitchen. We've been moving all the last bits in there as we've packed the other rooms. All the socket covers and bits we've fished out from behind radiators and stuff. The aim is to just have one "junk" box instead of all the little piles we had around the house.

Hopefully on Monday I will be posting with pics of the new house.

Roller Coaster Mama, good look with the open house. I hope you get lots of interest. Hope everyone elses weekends go according to plan.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Wow LaughingHyena, that's so exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. I'm hoping that what you said about the old house not feeling as much like home after you pack up is true for us too. I don't particularly love our apartment, but it's where my daughter was born! Where we breastfed on the couch all night for those first few weeks...where she learned how to sit and crawl and say mama. It will be hard to leave!

RollerCoasterMama, good luck with your open house!

Things are on hold here. There are some problems with SIL's lease, so she has to get reapproved before we can move in with her. Ugh, I had a feeling moving in with her was going to be kind of a bad idea! DH's heart is set though, so we're going to do it. I just hope she gets all her ducks in a row. I'm decluttering anyway, I figure even if this move doesn't happen, it's still good for us.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Open house is today! (Right over DS's nap-time of course, but we'll deal.) And we had a looker on Friday night.

I had to buy plane tickets on Friday for DS and STBX for Christmas, so my savings fund is seriously depleted, but it will be back to where it needs to be later this week. I signed my lease and can start moving gradually Dec. 1!! Hooray!!

I've been having fun window shopping for furniture. I think I've decided on semi-girly shabby-chic for my room. I haven't got to do girly in a long long time!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Wow, a week since I posted here. IT doesn't feel like we have been here that long.

Moving day went pretty well, I was impressed at how well the children handled it. DS went to look at his room and said "my room is empty, bye bye bedroom" DD was a bit tearful while were were loading but seems to have settled in well.

The new house is slowly beginning to fee like home, we've got curtains and light shades up now which has made a big difference.

The cleaning is taking longer than I expected, the previous owners smoked and had 2 dogs so I was expecting it to take a while. Still after shampooing and steam cleaning the carpets they no longer smell and I think we will get away without replacing them, that's good news for the budget.

Unfortunately it turned out that the oven was broken, of course I only found this out after buying a chicken to roast! We elected not to shop round too much and went for the same model as we had before. It feels good to be able to cook again and I use the oven a lot.

We are spending a lot of time with paint charts and decorating books. I found this website which has lots of decorating ideas
http://www.housetohome.co.uk/galleries/childrens.html
This really is the exciting bit.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

LaughingHyena: congrats on surviving the move!! I tried to look at the link and it kicked me off after a very tantilizing peek for a few seconds. I'll try again from home. :-D

I'm having fun decorating my house-to-be in my head! Starting with almost no furniture means that I can do anything I want!!! (Luckily, we have joint finances and agree that I can save up for a little furniture before we divide completely---after that, it's up to my budgeting skills.)

I've never actually done the decorating thing--I just make do with what I have already. Once I figured out what I wanted, it's all coming together!! Etsy is my decorating friend. :-D
Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Hi mamas!

We'll be moving anytime between January and April, and I actually wish I had more to do around here right now to prepare.
The house we live in right now is really, really tiny, so we're already living with the bare minimum.

The fun part will come when my grandparents (we're buying the house from them) get some of their stuff cleared out so that I can start putting furniture in there. The only furniture we have to move is a bed, 2 dressers, a desk and a few shelves. We're going to have to furnish 7 extra rooms in the new house. I haven't had the guts to work up a rough $ total for that yet.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 AM

I've started putting up some before pictures on my blog
http://parsnipsandmash.blogspot.com/

more to come soon, hopefully some after ones too.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:30 AM

Last night was our last night here. Will be staying at our new apartment for a few months until everything gets sorted out for the new place. Kitchen is packed up, clothes and last minute kitchen stuff will be moved today. POD is coming on Friday for furniture. Then we will have a few days to clean up and finish moving the myriad of little things that seem to remain after SO MUCH PACKING AND MOVING!!! I cannot wait to be at this point next week. I am so done with this.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 AM

getting ready to move... realtor is coming Friday! Whoa. There's so much to clean/do!

How much should it cost to have carpets cleaned? windows cleaned? ceiling painted?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Today was actual moving day even though we've been staying at our apartment for a few days. Everything fit into one POD. Plus we have about 1/2 of a stall in our in-law's garage filled. I am relieved that it is DONE. We have to go back to the house and get the swing set and grill. I made a big dinner for the friends that helped us move, so I wasn't there for the moving. My friend vacuumed the house for me, so I only have to touch up before the closing this week. So nice to have good friends.

User Tag List