October decluttering/organizing accountability! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm going a different route this month...

My goal is to go through one box in storage per week. I'll either donate the stuff, find a home for it, re-store it, or it becomes garbage.

What do you need to do this month?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 AM

I need to touch up wall/ceiling paint. I'd like to get started scanning in all of our old photos. We are pretty decluttered, but I'm always looking to declutter more. I also need to get the old laptop fixed and fix up a kids' computer station.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#3 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 AM

I'm joining this month because I have a little over a month left before this baby arrives and I have some serious decluttering to do! I'm hoping it jump starts my non existing nesting instinct. I need to:

Declutter upstairs hall closet
Declutter two downstairs closets
Locate all baby gear and clothes and get organized
Go through bathroom drawers and toss old items
Donate old clothes to Goodwill

I am sure I will be adding things as I go and think of more.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#4 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Since I did not get everything done last month, I'll just list what's left on the list.

hangers for coats inside the door
hang strings for artwork
do something with my yard sale pile
hang laundry room shelf
hang shelves in ds1's room
make curtains
set up new bathroom
organize storage room
install new lights in bedrooms
hang up hooks in ds2's room
move around tv's
#5 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sort through upstairs closet and divide clothes into four piles.....
Wash for use.---Done, washed and put away.
Re-store for next child-----Done, all in neat piles in the closet.
To be listed on CL Didnt bother! All went to a friend.
To be donated Done!
Sort summer clothes for storage.--------Done.

Paint N & D's room.

Sort papers and re-file or recycle them.

Reorganise my closet. Done!

Continue sorting out out-grown toys for yard sale/ donate.

(I'm on new meds and I think they are working a little too well!)
#6 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 02:51 PM

I have been avoiding a major disaster for several months... Our dining room has become a storage room.

It's pretty bad. Overall our house hasn't been too cluttered/messy, but we cleared out a whole area of the house, including 2 closets, to make room for my mother-in-law, and everything went into the dining room. (We don't have an attic, only a damp basement).

Specifically there is our entire book library, awaiting built in shelves being built, and my old home office in the corner.

This has to happen in October! It is ridiculous. Seriously.

I can't seem to get started. Well, first I need to schedule building bookshelves, so that's stopping me. We've saved up the money for the project, so I just need to get it done.

Ugh.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#7 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 PM

We've switched our internet/tv/phone provider to a cable based one and they will need access to my two most cluttered rooms. The rest is great and tidy, but not my bedroom or my office. Ug.

So I did my bedroom yesterday (I had baskets and baskets of clean clothes either folded or waiting to be folded) and got all the laundry dealt with. Part of the problem with this laundry is there is no place in my house (which is huge so I totally have no excuse) for linens, bedding, towels etc. It all goes in my room in my closet, and then overflows into laundry baskets where I keep it foled, but it's in the way. I had 2.5 big huge bags of stuff to get rid of when I finished. I used the brutal honesty technique to decide what to keep.

Today I'm doing my office which is the dropoff point for the whole entire household when it comes to things you can't find a place for. My husband keeps bringing home "perfectly good" computers and so we've got 2-3 of those with monitors just sitting here, the room is like 8x10 so it's really not working for me.

My plan is to donate as much as possible, and store the computers until I can get him to agree that we don't need them. He's not a hoarder, but we've had several computers die an early death (in his opinion I think 4 years is fantastic!) and he doesn't want to spend money on another one so he brings home rejects from his work.

This will be a big task because the floor is covered in PC'ers and peripherals, so I haven't been able to really get to my desk and filing cabinet so I have an archialogical dig on my desk to face after I get the stuff off the floor. Sigh...........

He should totally be doing this, but he's not. I am.

I wish me luck!

The mantra for the day is "Saving children's artwork and schoolwork doesn't make you a better mother. It's ok to let go."
#8 of 39 Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have so much to do before the end of December! I'd really like to have my apartment organized and decluttered before that time, as my baby is due at the end of January--and I want January to be committed to last minute baby preparations and just plain peace of mind and relaxation. I joined the September thread really late (with only a week left in the month) and didn't complete my goals.

October Goals:

1) Finish packing away prepregnancy clothes.
2) Organize coupons by date now that they've been catorgorized.
3) Organize Card/Correspondance drawer.
4) Go through drawer of papers in the kitchen: file or toss.
5) Organize Control Journal (Household SOP).
6) Organize/purge items in Bathroom closet.
7) Organize cabinets in the kitchen. Organize cookbooks.
8) Go through plastic bins in bedroom and toss or put away items. Bins can be stored in spare room, as I may need them for baby items.
9) Throw away broken shoe rack.
10) Donate items to thrift Store and/or place on FreeCycle.
11) Go through numerous boxes of books and donate many of them. Be realistic. I don't need old text books and so many poetry anthologies. Keep only my favorite anthologies. Purge Self-help books, as well.
12) Go through 5 other boxes in spare room. Put Away/Give Away or Throw Away.
#9 of 39 Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM

I haven't decided on my priorities, but I'm in! This baby will be arriving sometime, so I'm not going to be over zealous. But having a few goals will be a good idea. Be back with those when I'm thinking a little more clearly.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#10 of 39 Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

October Goals:

Outside
1. Put the worm bin back inside for the winter. DONE. (In the rain, no less!)
2. Wash all windows and steps outside. DONE
3. Cut down all dead plants and move the columbines. Pending...
4. Take down all hanging baskets and put into garage. DONE.
5. Clean up beach and toss all broken toys.
6. Wash and fill bird feeders. DONE
7. Wash and organize recycling bins for winter. DONE
8. Plant garlic. DONE

Inside
1. Completely mop basement floor. DONE
2. Take all basement toys back downstairs and put them away.
3. Clean area next to dryer again. DONE
4. Clean ceiling fans. DONE
5. Mop bedrooms wood floor. DONE
6. Wash stuffed animals in basement. DONE
7. Wash Webkinz animal holders. (One of my cats nailed them!! Ack!) DONE
8. Move play kitchen downstairs and put shelves for homeschooling stuff up.
9. Clean refrigerator. DONE
10. Pick and buy new vacuum.
11. Clean off shelf next to table for buffet for gathering. DONE

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#11 of 39 Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM

playroom - total disaster. we dumped all the toys in there (former bedroom, just made it the playroom about a month ago) and haven't yet figured out where things go. have furniture, need small storage to sort things.
library - heavens to mergatroid. that's all i'm gonna say about that.
bedroom - really needs to be made cute, as we just moved in and it's very utilitarian right now.
dining room - i want to bring in the hutch from the garage and put things in it, definitely has to happen in october!
eta: basement - of course i forgot the basement! thanks for the reminder, jennifer! yeah it needs to be tidied, mopped, etc.
#12 of 39 Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM

I have 14 days to go thru entire house and clean out closets, cupboards & boxes (been "moving in" for months) for a community yard sale in 2 weeks. I NEED to do this.

Goal 1: All baby clothes & gadgets tagged & boxed to sell.

Goal 2: Go thru house and clear out 500 or more items to sell. (1000 maybe)

Goal 3: Unpack some remaining boxes (hopefully all) and keep / sell stuff.

Goal 4: A little fall cleaning as I go. Make note of needed small repairs & weatherproofing to do.

Plan:
Kitchen & breakfast room & guest bath - TODAY (all tools & gadgets & extras are out)

Living Room & Entrance, utility room- Fri 2nd (go thru dvd, cd, books)

Dining Room & front porch - Sat 3rd (started to put stuff in DR, just price it)

Master Bedroom & Study & storage closet- 4th & 5th (knicknacks, books, boxed baby clothes, etc... put on hangers or in boxes)

Master bathroom, my closet, his closet - 6th & 7th (extra stuff, clothes to go, my scrapbooking / stamping stuff to go)

Stairs, hall, Kids room, Kids bath & vanity - 8th (mostly the kids closet- seasonal & size of clothes)

Guest room & Office- 9th (guest closet has boxes & office closet has holiday overflow-sell it)

Back Porch, Back Patio, any loose ends: 10th (any riding toys too small, gadgets, etc to go)

The Garage: 11, 12, 13, 14... only 4 days????!!!! YIKES! (Pull out clothing racks, boxes of books, extra furniture that doesn't fit in this house & sell it)

15th -to bank for change & gather items sunscreen, apron, etc)

16th - ready to SELL!!!!

With all that and babies, I sure hope I can do it! I will post as I go...
#13 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 AM

moving to the USa helped my get rid of old stuff but now I find myself buying too much crap

I need support ladies! I need to "just say no!" when the stuff in the shop calls my name
#14 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM

Progress so far:

Bagged up old clothing items to take to Goodwill tomorrow
Started cleaning the two bathrooms, but still have to go through drawers and organize

#15 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM

My goals for the month:
* Set up kids rooms and closets (this is partially carried over from September. I'm still moving my clothes into the closet in the baby's room.)
* Clean in the basement
* Sort the sheets in the linen closet - We put our full size guest bed in storage, so we don't need the sheets to be accessible. They will probably go in DD's closet.

Now, this will be my postpartum month, assuming baby every gets here. So I don't want to overdo it. But it would be nice to get a few things improved. I'm sure there will be a drop off at the thrift store too.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#16 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

october! ak. the snow is very low on the mountains surrounding my small town and there is a chill in the air. im not ready..i have stuff i want to do before winter sets in! house stuff has been put off fr the last 3 months. we moved in july and since then i have been settling in but also busy out and about. i know its a great time to start nesting but the things i realkly want to do right now involves paint..and we need sunny days for that. they will come. im glad for some rainy days!

i have a ton of gaols but i find myself overwhelmed when i write it all down, so for now im going to list the job that i most want to tackle..

The Spare Room & Laundry Room are kind of a jumble of a bunch of stuff right now and i want to really reorganise things and get them in a space where they are usable.. i was going to use the spare room for my craft room but i have decided that for the winter the laundry room is a better space..so everything that is crafty needs to get put in there, organised in a nice looking way and i need to get my laundry under control. i love hanging it and since its gotten cooler my laundry has been getting less attention because i really hate using the dryer.

so here i go. first is first...closet in spare room. wish me luck!@ im missing a box from the move so im really hoping to find it today!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#17 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Okay, I'm going a different route this month...

My goal is to go through one box in storage per week. I'll either donate the stuff, find a home for it, re-store it, or it becomes garbage.

What do you need to do this month?
I need to do the exact same thing. We are currently staying with my mother as we wait for hubby to enlist in the Marines and all our stuff is sitting in storage. It is funny how not having it daily makes me think of all the things that I do not need!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#18 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM

We need to declutter our garage something awful... it is SO bad!!!! That is getting started on this weekend, for sure. We also probably should do something about the toys and other random stuff... OH! My desk... my desk is a major disaster area.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#19 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 PM

I keep finding more projects. It figures I give the house a good spring cleaning in OCTOBER.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#20 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM

since my post earlier today i have gotten quite a bit accomplished! i have unpacked and put away about 10 boxes/bins of stuff.. i have this amazing built in cabinet in my laundry room that im sorting all of our craft stuff into. the top is our pantry, which i may move..and next to that on the top is where all of my canning is being stored. i have put up 2 shelves, one above my washer, one above my dryer as a place to put some things that i like to look at..but also with in organization in mind. i have this rustic table in front of the small window in there that im setting up as my work desk, so i have some fun stuff on there, with my sewing machine stored under for quick access, and i have finally unloaded all of my craft books and magazines.
still more to do!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#21 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Here's my list (I'm going to be conservative so I can hopefully accomplish it all)

- move dresser into the boys room and organize their clothes - done
- organize linen closet
- organize basement pantry
- organize laundry room

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#22 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM

I love this! I would like to continue what I have started over the summer. I had a rummage sale (baby sale) and sold so many of my things that have been sitting in the basement. For example baby clothes from DS who is now 6 years old. I am going to continue cleaning out the boxes in the basement and donate, sell, or get rid of anything we don't need/use anymore. I like the one box a week idea...I will start with that.
#23 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM

i spent the day yesterday getting nothing done because i was in the city shopping. i did get a much needed huge stockpot for all of my canning & soups and stuff.. which means i can declutter some smaller older ones..
i got some much needed house stuff, like a mop with a duster thinger (method) and some laundry soap.. now i have like 4 loads of laundry to do..and my room has become the dumping ground of clean laundry from the week.. so much to do! ak. i did manage to sweep and vaccuum the livingroom, move the couch and do under it, which i do weekly.. and take off the couch cover and its washing now. kids are at the park with daddin! and i should not be on here wasting time..

Quote:

#24 of 39 Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
playroom - total disaster. we dumped all the toys in there (former bedroom, just made it the playroom about a month ago) and haven't yet figured out where things go. have furniture, need small storage to sort things.
library - heavens to mergatroid. that's all i'm gonna say about that.
bedroom - really needs to be made cute, as we just moved in and it's very utilitarian right now.
dining room - i want to bring in the hutch from the garage and put things in it, definitely has to happen in october!
eta: basement - of course i forgot the basement! thanks for the reminder, jennifer! yeah it needs to be tidied, mopped, etc.
playroom is now AWESOME. i had a cabinet and a shelf. after organizing and putting things away (and PURGING, of course, a couple big bags) i found out i only need the very small cabinet. the shelf can go back to the "library" and then that room won't be quite the nightmare it currently is.

bedroom, dining room and basement are still patiently waiting for me. but i got one room done and i'm really happy about it. the kids are too.
#25 of 39 Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
I keep finding more projects. It figures I give the house a good spring cleaning in OCTOBER.
at least you're doing it THIS year!

I had the flu so the entire house is a disaster.

Today's goals:

Continue plowing away at living room
Feed myself dinner before yoga
Leave for yoga at 5:30
Take clothes off line and put away after yoga
Start blanket in wash and hang overnight

It never seems like much, but a little everyday means a clean house in a week!

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#26 of 39 Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 PM

I shocked myself by getting a dreaded task done today. I cleaned that yucky area beside my dryer that gets all lint-filled and cat-hairish and had a broken jar under all the yuck. The kitchen looks so much cozier now.

Hmm... maybe I'll knock off a ceiling fan today.

I love that you all are here. I love watching the big list get smaller and smaller.

#27 of 39 Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Declutter upstairs hall closet
Declutter two downstairs closets
Locate all baby gear and clothes and get organized
Go through bathroom drawers and toss old items
Donate old clothes to Goodwill
I found all the baby gear. The car seat is now installed in the car and the swing/bouncer are cleaned and assembled. The clothes have some bad set in stains so I need to soak those this weekend in some Oxyclean.

#28 of 39 Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM

I need to join again this month, back in august i did pretty well and did have things sorted out to donate, but checked with my sister first and we decided to have a yardsale in Sept. I made 180$! That's pretty good for me, but for this month, I need to go through the items and decide what i want to keep for a possible future yardsale and what to donate and get the stuff up to the donation place asap! Other things i think may sell better on ebay and craigslist i would like to start listing by the end of this month. It would be nice to make a little extra cash from my decluttering!

So:

1) donate some items
2) have designated future yardsale pile
2) attempt to sell some items on ebay/craigslist
3) work on office closet and paper clutter
4) declutter coupons(i'm a big couponer so this is a lot of my paper clutter)

I did pretty well w/ds's homeschooling for about month, then had the yardsale then had a chemical pregnancy end, so i would like to get back on track with that and a better schedule again, b/c i really want to be organized in the home so i can have a some free time starting in a few months so i can start up a work at home type blog...

WML

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#29 of 39 Old 10-09-2009, 02:50 AM

I took summer off, but in Sept and Oct I'm back on to aggressive decluttering to make way for redecorating in Spring.

We've been at this house ten years and had a kid who just started K this year... so a lot accumulated in that time. My new year resolution for 2009 was to get it down significantly.

Before the summer I was at 5 dozen small uhaul boxes and bags gone. With this fresh wave I'm up to 1.5 dozen so far. I've probably got another 3 dozen to sift and I feel like I'm in the homestretch with the end of the year coming up.

I'm being more aggressive too about purchases, gifts, hand me downs... I don't even want to let it into the house if it isn't useful. I rather just donate it right off the bat than let it linger. So I'm trying to get my head space ready for the bday/holiday season for our family.

In the past I've tried various mailing lists, check lists, etc. but with this wave I discovered

http://www.lets-clean-up.com/

to keep it going.

I'm really liking the free trial so far because I can customize for my own needs/schedule. Before that I liked Motivated Moms

http://www.motivatedmoms.com/

but I think Let's Clean Up fits my personality better.

Does anyone know of similar tools for meal planning? Then I'd feel like I've got a grip on the home management stuff.

Thanks!
A.
#30 of 39 Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
October Goals:

1) Finish packing away prepregnancy clothes.
2) DONE! Organize coupons by date now that they've been catorgorized.
3) Organize Card/Correspondance drawer.
4) Go through drawer of papers in the kitchen: file or toss.
5) Organize Control Journal (Household SOP).
6) Organize/purge items in Bathroom closet.
7) Organize cabinets in the kitchen. Organize cookbooks.
8) Go through plastic bins in bedroom and toss or put away items. Bins can be stored in spare room, as I may need them for baby items.
9) Throw away broken shoe rack.
10) Donate items to thrift Store and/or place on FreeCycle.
11) Go through numerous boxes of books and donate many of them. Be realistic. I don't need old text books and so many poetry anthologies. Keep only my favorite anthologies. Purge Self-help books, as well.
12) Go through 5 other boxes in spare room. Put Away/Give Away or Throw Away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page