Have you ever taken decluttering/simplifying too far? :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family of 2 adults, 2 young kids, and a dog are moving from a 2400 sq ft house to an 1100 sq ft apartment. I have moved many, many times and I'm an expert packer and an enthusiastic purger (hence the tagline under my username ).

Well, even though we didn't seem to have that many extras, or at least it was all tucked away tidily in one of the many large closets in this place, I'm taking van load after van load to the thrift store. We've sold half the furniture. To describe my emotional state at lightening our literal load before the move...well, the best word is "gleeful". I don't think I'm quite as happy as when I'm getting rid of stuff. I named one of my kids after a person on Clean Sweep. (What? We liked the name! )

Seriously, though, have you ever taken decluttering or simplifying too far? Have you ever had to replace something you got rid of in a fit of cleaning? Just curious and thought it would be fun to read what others had to say. (I'm going through the holiday decorations today and hope no one misses that awful felt reindeer from 1967...)

~ Lemur , mum to Mr. Fishy (5, ASD) and Froggy (3) ~
#2 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM

nothing expensive, and nothing I needed, like, a few days later. So I guess, I've never (purposely) thrown away anything I regretted. Once I accidentally threw away $1000 worth of money orders while cleaning out the car, but I was able to get a refund for them, minus $12 apiece processing fee. It took a while though, and that did suck.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#3 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Only once. I'd made myself a "medieval woman's outfit" when I was in college, and for some strange reason I only have half the outfit. I have the outer dress, that laces up the bodice, but I no longer have the chemise that goes underneath it (and the top piece doesnt' fully close in front underneath the bodice, so the calf-length "nightgown styled shirt" really is an essential component to the costume. I may have given it away because of its bulk, or I might have had it mixed with maternity nightgowns and accidentally given away, while the outer dress was safely packed away with costumes. I'll never know for certain, and one of these days I may sew another one.

Other than that single incident, I've never given away anything that I truly missed or that was hard to replace. It's not a big deal to give away a ton of stuff, then realize "oh, darn, I need a bathmat but I gave away all the spares! I'll buy another 2nd hand bathmat the next time I go to the thrift store to drop things off."

I have had kids looking for a specific costume or "dress up clothes" months after donating it, but who knows if that specific item would have still fit by then anyway? Nor am I certain that these items were donated to be used by somebody else, or if they were lost in one of the many floods we had when we lived in a basement apartment. I had to throw out many, many boxes of mildewy papers, clothes, etc.

What I have experienced, however, is HAVING tons of stuff in the house, but it's so cluttered up that I can't find anything when I need it. Then I go out and buy another one, even though I'm pretty sure I already have one, somewhere. Usually I find the item again a few months after I've replaced it. This has happened to me numerous times. I'm likely to need to buy a replacement if I need the item, whether I give it away or not!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM

there have been a few things i couldn't find and then realized i got rid of them and a few things i have wished i would have kept...but the good news is that i don't recall anything i have actually had to replace.

::
#5 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
there have been a few things i couldn't find and then realized i got rid of them and a few things i have wished i would have kept...but the good news is that i don't recall anything i have actually had to replace.
:

Though I have had to replace certain things years later that were more out of circumstances than anything. Example: I gave away a chair that I couldn't take with me, but could have used.
#6 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Yes, I have regrets. When we were moving from apt to apt to apt, I got rid of my yearbooks and my Sweet Valley High collection. I think about those books a lot! And having the yearbooks would be nice too. Otherwise, except for a couple outfits, no I am good.
#7 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 PM

I have never been a "saver" of sentimental things. Well, a few days before my wedding, as I was making room for my husband's things to join mine in our apartment, I threw away our marriage license. BEFORE THE CEREMONY. I didn't realize what it was for until the pastor asked for it to sign at the rehearsal. Uh oh. We had the JP meet us the next morning (a Saturday) to give us a new one.

Story doesn't end there...

My sweet nanny, knowing I had thrown it out, went through my garbage while I was having my hair done the morning of the wedding (after getting a new license.) She found it in the trash! So, now I have (yes, still have) two marriage licenses -- only one signed by the minister.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#8 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM

DH would say that yes, I have gone to far.

I would counter that he really didn't need hot pink gym shorts with the tags still on 5 years later.

In reality, yes there have been a few things, but few and far between. I can't even remember anything off the top of my head so they must not have been too important!

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#9 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When dh and I moved to America we came with 2 suitcases (clothes for 2 adults and 2 children) and had 4 boxes shipped over. I really regret having to say goodbye to 80% of our possessions including larger wedding gifts, books and some decorative items. We had little choice though.
#10 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunAround View Post
. I named one of my kids after a person on Clean Sweep. (What? We liked the name! )
So is it Peter Walsh, the hot construction guy or one of the cutie hosts?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
srs

We can't find the charger for our cordless drill, and I'm afraid it may have gotten donated/recycled or something. Then again, we could have just lost it too in the bad old days. We take much better care of our stuff now that it's organized and there's less of it.

Oh, and on buying the replacement because you can't find what you already have? Ask me how many rolls of scotch tape and how many AAA batteries I have right now. It's ridiculous.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#12 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Yes, my middle child's birth certificate. It was a in a pile of papers on the desk that I kept asking dh to take care of. I got sick of looking at it and went on a decluttering spree and threw it away.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#13 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 PM

my bathrobe. i can't find it and I'm afraid I donated it.
#14 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 PM

I once freecycled our perfectly good queen size guest bed to make a playroom for the kids when we lived in a very small house. When I realized this was a big mistake, I found another queen size guest bed on freecycle, convinced dh to rent a uhaul to go pick it up, it was horrible, with stains and obviously more used than the poster described, but the people who gave it to us were scary looking, so we were afraid to say, no, nevermind, took it anyway and then re-freecycled it.
When we moved to a bigger house we had to buy a new one.
#15 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 PM

I think I have, I'm pretty sure I've tossed papers that are really important (as in I've been tearing my house apart for 6 weeks now and still haven't found them) when I was in a serious purging frenzy. I've only done it to things I didn't know I was tossing...like an important document was mixed in with other papers that I tossed.
Sara
#16 of 43 Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have donated clothes that I thought I would never fit again then had to re buy in the same size. That said it was a couple of years before I would have fitted them again

I also freecycled our steam cleaner because I didn't use it much. It was slightly broken so to attach the hose you had to unscrew the casing. We couldn't store it all set up so I got rid of it. I didn't miss it until we planned to move house, fortunately I found another identical one for £5 this summer so I will be steam cleaning the carpets when we move in a couple of weeks.

I have no doubt that there are going to be some other things we re buy when we move but we simply do not have the space to store them here. I'm convinced that the decluttering has helped us sell the house so for me it is a price worth paying (and hopefully we can replacae most stuff through freecycle anyway)
#17 of 43 Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Yes, my worst give-away were the pants to my DH's $500 suite. We didn't realize I had donated them until 11:00 p.m. the night before a very nice weekend. My DH is a very hard fit for suites - he was mad, but we laughed about it by Monday.

I also went crazy giving away kids clothes, and wished I would saved just a few more of my favorite outfits from the kids. Oh, well.

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#18 of 43 Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
What I have experienced, however, is HAVING tons of stuff in the house, but it's so cluttered up that I can't find anything when I need it. Then I go out and buy another one, even though I'm pretty sure I already have one, somewhere. Usually I find the item again a few months after I've replaced it. This has happened to me numerous times. I'm likely to need to buy a replacement if I need the item, whether I give it away or not!
I hear you there. I'm finally to the point that I would rather re-acquire something because I decluttered it last month than have to break down and purchase something I know I have but can't find in the piles.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#19 of 43 Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM

I have lost count of the number of books I have given away and then gone looking for on the shelves months or even years later.

I felt like I should be purging them, because they were dated, or I'd read them already, or I already had six shelves full, etc. But for me, books are not clutter and they are important to me, so I have vowed to hold onto them all from now on!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#20 of 43 Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 PM

I got rid of my crockpot because my diet changed a lot and I was never using it. About a year later my dh requested we get a new one lol. I feel bad that I got rid of a handmade blanket a friend made for my daughter. It was a HUGE trapezoid blanket crocheted with three strands of really scratchy yarn. It was falling apart where the ends were weaved in. I am so thankful she took the time to make it for my daughter but it was a mess!!

I purged 50 bags of stuff to charity in 2008 and I am at 15 for 2009..... For me it has become obsession and nothing is safe!!
#21 of 43 Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
So is it Peter Walsh, the hot construction guy or one of the cutie hosts?
My son's namesake is the can-do construction dude, which is exactly the opposite of my son's personality. Go figure.

To answer my own question, I have even tossed yearbooks and donated my wedding dress, but I haven't regretted a thing yet. Because of my personal history, including a nomadic childhood, I don't attach to stuff. Rather than keep a wedding dress hostage in my closet, why not donate it for use in another happy wedding, or to be dyed as a prom dress? It can be someone else's great bargain and help create another special memory! (The pictures are more fun and easier to move.) Most of my stuff comes in used, so sending it back out in the world doesn't seem like a loss. It feels like I'm sending things on to their next "renter", since none of us own anything but our skin 'n' bones 'n' memories. That said, I've come to appreciate that stuff can provide comfort and convenience and enjoyment at times.

But, this purge is our biggest yet. I have no idea how we'll feel after the dust settles.

Thanks for sharing! I'm enjoying reading these!

~ Lemur , mum to Mr. Fishy (5, ASD) and Froggy (3) ~
#22 of 43 Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM

Nope..can't think of one thing!! For items I think I might regret later on, I put them in a bin, label them and leave them in the garage for 6 months. If I haven't thought about it or gone after it, out if goes. The only things I have for my son, to pass onto him, are 2 picture frame collages of my artwork when I was kid and I am working on the family photo albums.

I guess I never attach to things, so it doesn't bother me and I am like the above poster, I rather donate it in the hopes that someone else will find it and have some joy using it!!!
#23 of 43 Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've over purged ... but that's okay. We're zealous like that. We've had to go out and re-acquire things a couple of times, but that's well worth it when I consider the alternative of a house piled high with stuff we rarely/never use. All hail the hearty purgers!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#24 of 43 Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 AM

I threw away an appraisal for a pearl necklace when decluttering a bunch of papers before a move. That has been a drag because I need the appraisal to insure the necklace.

Like a pp, I regret books. Lots of books. I wish I had been able to take my mom's literature collection from our family home when we sold it, and I wish I had more of my dad's books. I also purged over half of my books when I moved cross country, and I regret them still over a decade later.

I also gave away a painting that my great uncle painted - still don't quite know why I didn't listen to that little voice telling me to keep it. We were moving, and just had so much stuff, but it really could have fit in. That one probably haunts me the most. What was I thinking?

There is one little baby outfit of my son's I wish I'd kept.

Over the years I have become less of a declutterer and it's because of regrets like these. I need to be good and sure before I move something along, especially things with some history for me.
#25 of 43 Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 AM

We have, so many different things it breaks my heart and makes it all the harder to get rid of new things.

In the last 2 weeks we've had to replace several donated items to the tune of well over several hundred dollars. Heartbreaking to know that I had "x" item and for whatever reason got rid of it and now I have to buy again and do so at full price.

I really evaluate what I get rid of now a lot closer.
#26 of 43 Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
DH would say that yes, I have gone to far.

I would counter that he really didn't need hot pink gym shorts with the tags still on 5 years later.

In reality, yes there have been a few things, but few and far between. I can't even remember anything off the top of my head so they must not have been too important!

I've gone overboard with decluttering and have regretted it. Small things like baby outfits, artwork, etc. Some things that I've had to buy again. Holiday stuff that I've gotten rid of after the last holiday and then had to buy again the next holiday. I don't remember if I got rid of it (can't look right now as it is kept in the baby's closet, if we still have it, and she's sleeping) but this thread reminded me that I may have thrown away my fake tree. It was a beautiful, expensive tree that I got from a neighbor for free when she was moving. It was perfect because I'm allergic to real trees and only get a real tree every few years. If I gave it away, I'm going to have to get a real tree this year. That means that I'm going to have a miserable holiday, either I'll have to take allergy meds all season long or I'll be constantly stuffed up and irritable because of the symptoms. I'm checking that as soon as the baby wakes up.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#27 of 43 Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM

I decluttered 2 free airline tickets. We had to stay overnight unexpectedly in a junky stinky old motel, but had always said we would love the chance to earn them! They were for anywhere that Alaska Air flew (DH wanted Cabo), and the airline would not replace them. I am still hearing about it 5 years later. argh.
#28 of 43 Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yup! This happened often at my house, and there are only two things I regret freecycling - a 90 gal fish tank, that my husband and I both loved, but he wanted a tv and there was not space for both. The other thing was my coffee table. I went on a MAJOR purging fest when we moved and donated, or freecycled, everything I did not absolutely love. I didn't realize how much I liked the table til a few months after we moved...
#29 of 43 Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM

I had this wonderworld wooden play kitchen set, but no stove with it....took it to the resale shop since the most important piece was really missing, but then a few weeks later when I was shopping online for a new kitchen set for dd, I saw the stove for less than $50, which would have made a beautiful set for her for a lot less than the Ikea one I ended up with that has much less. pooh. Got a little hasty with that purge. Oh, and stainless steel mixing bowls. I had to rebuy those, but that was because I realized I liked them better than the glass ones that I kept (and later purged). Otherwise I love getting rid of things.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#30 of 43 Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunAround View Post
sending it back out in the world doesn't seem like a loss. It feels like I'm sending things on to their next "renter", since none of us own anything but our skin 'n' bones 'n' memories. That said, I've come to appreciate that stuff can provide comfort and convenience and enjoyment at times.

But, this purge is our biggest yet. I have no idea how we'll feel after the dust settles.
I love this! Totally agree...
And I bet, with that attitude, and the fact you are cool with getting rid of your wedding dress, you will be feeling pretty good after the dust settles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page