Winter Clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you keep them? I can't find a good place for all of the snow pants, gloves, hats, ect, for all five of us. Everyone has more than one pair of everything, not to mention we are on a farm so there are 'good' sets and 'work' sets. The entryway is not heated, so its not the best place and there is not room in the 'closet' right in the door. The 'closet' is really just a nook of a space between a wall and the outside wall of the house, no door, closet rod, just hooks. And a rod wouldn't work in there anyway. So.... I can barely get all of the jackets put away in there. What the heck do I do with this stuff? In the past we just had some piles and overloaded hooks, but the kids are bigger and so is their stuff. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 07:52 PM

I am finding that baskets work best for me.
They are low-tech, you can use pretty ones and when you don't need them anymore they can be used for something else....plus if you need to get them out of the way you can just carry them out of sight

Oh, and for hats and mittens that are not wet- stuff the mittens into the hat and then the hat into a sleeve of the coat
#3 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Baskets/buckets/large containers of some kind that you can place near the door.

I'm comfortable having something like that out because it's getting used all the time, so it doesn't read as 'clutter' to me when I look around the room.
#4 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Rural family here also, so not only do we have a lot of winter gear, but a lot of muck and mud as well. We have a dedicated mudroom, with slate floor-easy to absorb the snow/water and clean mud. I use very large baskets to store the extras, ie snowpants (multiple, black pairs for everyone, rain pants, etc. I also have duplicates of gloves, mittens, scarves, neckwarmers, etc. kept in the baskets. Each family member gets one basket. They are stored on a wall shelf that we installed (old barnboard). Below that we have a very long row of industrial (ie farm) hooks-each family member has three or four, on a long barnboard, screwed into the wall. hard to describe, but it's kind of pottery barn-ish. We hang snow coats, snow pants, insulated rain gear, etc. on these hooks, and they are far enough off of the ground to accommodate the length of the snowpants.

On a wall I have hanging what is essentially a heavy duty shoe hanger, found at a craft fair, made of upholstery material in a pretty fabric. Each family member has a row of pockets, and the pockets hold mittens, gloves, hats and the instant hand/foot warmers that you can get for really cold days. I don't set out all of the mittens, etc. for the season at once because they'll get lost. The pocket organizer helps us keep to one or two pair at a time.

We also have a bench with a flip top lid in which we can store scarves and other misc. I have nice, but industrial, very large sized indoor/outdoor rugs on which we put our muddy or wet boots. I would love to add a boot dryer to the mix as well. I keep a large laundry basket in the mudroom for wet/muddy clothing to be tossed into and carried to the laundry room.

My mudroom isn't heated either (old farmhouse), but that can't be helped. If it's super cold I bring things to the woodstove to warm up, for instance early school mornings, but otherwise we tough it out.

We are the most disorganized family ever, so I needed this plan to get through the winters!
#5 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

So can your kids reach the hooks and baskets? My kids are 4,6,8 and cant yet reach the hooks dh put up for us. Drives me nuts. I can't convince him we need more hooks at reasonable levels. I like the basket ideas. Glad I'm not the only one with an unheated entry. It really sucks when its super cold. We don't even have the stove to warm things.
#6 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM

I second the shoe/sweater organizers. They are great for a catch all for gloves, boots, hats, scarves and for the little ones, even their clothing. It doesn't take up much closet space and you could even install an extra rod somewhere in your home to hang several on...maybe a back porch, laundry room or entrance.
#7 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Ugh. I think we have a similar situation, and three years in, I have yet to solve it. What we have now is a lot of hooks, in several heights, as well as a lot of rugs for dirty boots.

I might go out and get a big pile of rag rugs like my mom used to use. She would just take them away when they were totally dirty, throw in the washer and put clean ones down. They'd dry on lines in the basement. But we used the basement for our barn clothes/boots, and the entryway just for our "good" stuff. (7 people, so imagine the mess that would be.)

As it is now, most of the time the stuff has to be placed over a heat duct when the kids come in, there are winter clothes hanging around everywhere.

The basement is sounding better and better.
#8 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
So can your kids reach the hooks and baskets? My kids are 4,6,8 and cant yet reach the hooks dh put up for us. Drives me nuts. I can't convince him we need more hooks at reasonable levels. I like the basket ideas. Glad I'm not the only one with an unheated entry. It really sucks when its super cold. We don't even have the stove to warm things.
We have two homemade step stools that we used when the kids were younger, to reach the hooks. Now they can get at the baskets, but the intent was for them to only use the stuff in the hanging shoe organizer. The baskets are for my extra supplies.
#9 of 13 Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM

We used to have a mud room and I miss it. Now we kind of have a wide walkway from the porch to the kitchen. I do agree with what someone else said. There is so much stuff being used all the time that it is hard to call it clutter. We have a farm so we have school stuff, farm stuff with warmer weather, colder weather and wet weather versions of both.

We have always used bins of one sort or another. My stackable bins broke in our move. This year I hung up an ikea nylon organizer someone gave me. It is 5'x3' with tons of small pockets in it. I hung it up so the bottom touches the floor. All mittens. gloves, hats etc go in the pockets. Low pockets for kids and high ones for us. The pockets are small enough that you do not have to dig too deep if you are looking for something in particular. I do try to keep things divided up like all mittens in one, all hats in another but my 4 yr old does his own thing.

Next to the organizer I hung up hooks low enough for kids. Boots end up anywhere between the unheated porch and the kitchen depending on their condition. We do have boot pans but the cat likes to pee in them. So we put wire closet shelves over the pan and then boots on top. Cat cannot stand on wire shelves well enough to pee. Also it helps the boots dry faster.

My husband and I both took over other closets in the house. I keep special needs outerwear in mine like my dress coat or whatever coats I am not using this season. My husband does the same with his closet. So that limits what is in our walkway space and how piled up our coat hooks get.
#10 of 13 Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM

I also wanted to mention that those kid toy organizers---the one's with all the bins...work great in closets or entry spaces. You can label one for each person. And you can find all kinds in different colors and styles.
#11 of 13 Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM

I have to go into the basement and get my winter clothes out--- it's tough to do each year! I use big plastic containers from WalMart and love them!

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
#12 of 13 Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

I use shoe pockets too. The lower the person is to the ground, the lower their set of pockets.
Chez Larsson has a cute entryway on her blog today.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#13 of 13 Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM

We have a basket for each of our hats/gloves/mittens.

I keep spare pairs (for when we inevitably lose things) put away so there is less out at a time.

What about a tall narrow bookshelf-type thing with enough shelves that you could each have on, and then put a low basket on each shelf to contain the stuff?

Or, hanging baskets if you don't have enough floor space. hang them over wherever you keep boots.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page