Danish homes on Oprah - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineBenes View Post
Thanks for the info. I was really curious when it was posted that they had no homeless, etc.. I wonder what the tax rate is there though to cover such generous benefits? I do wish we would do a better job in America of taking care of the mentally ill, that make up such a large part of our homeless.
%99.9 prosent of homeless people are homeless because of drug issues. No one has to be homeless unless they CHOOSE homelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
That apartment is so NOT typical! It's true that Danes tend to live in smaller places and that the lines are cleaner and the interior simpler than in the US - but it was so far from typical. And yes, of course Danes sleep with pillows and duvets - big ones.

The apartment on Oprah is very expensive (maybe the top 3% could afford it) and it's silly to say that it's typical. Most apartments in Copenhagen is much older - from around 1850-1900 and are so much prettier and much more cosy. Copenhagen is a lot like Amsterdam and in part like London.

It makes me a little mad that Oprah portraits it as typical Danish. Danish design - both buildings and interior - is much nicer than that.

Personally I found the apartment cold and boring.
Thank you for setting Oprah straight. Why wouldn't she have chosen to go to a typical cozy flat??? We can see this type of condo in architectural digest...

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#62 of 65 Old 11-07-2009, 02:08 AM

I couldn't help myself. I don't know what the Danish equivalent of Finn is, but here are realty listings from Oslo. If you want to waste some time ... Just scroll down and click on the main picture to view the whole listing, including more pictures from the interior. If you want to know the price in $ type: Convert (the price listed on listing ) NOK to USD in your google search bar. Enjoy! http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/h...t?areaId=20061 (and remember that these home were decluttered in some way shape or form for the photographer/showings)

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#63 of 65 Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 AM

I did find it very inspiring but I didn't believe it when they claimed it was typical because I see a lot of photos on blogs or Flickr groups of northern European homes and they never look that sterile. They are generally uncluttered and neat but not that modern, overall. It's more of a mix between old and new.

To answer your question, it did inspire me to continue my decluttering quest. I keep getting rid of things and trying to only keep beautiful and useful things. I'm trying to break my attachment to things. As much as it pains me sometimes to declutter I've almost never missed anything that has left this house.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#64 of 65 Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM

It was much to sterile for my liking. I love the decluttered look (something I'm always challenged with), but it lacked warmth imo....

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#65 of 65 Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 AM

One of the first things I noticed is when looking out the windows you see the older (and to me, more beautiful) architecture across the street. Yes, this is obviously a very new, ultra modern condo. But is does inspire me to toss a bunch of stuff. I LOVE the kids nook! I love that they have to climb in - the furniture was probably brought in before the wall/doorway was built up!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page